InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveler ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Well, due to a delay between the time of registration and the time I am allowed to post my story, I will be posting at least two chapters initially, it seems, since this story is pounding on my head to get out. I'm still not sure what to do with Rin, but I'm sure it will work itself out as I sit and type.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lord Sesshoumaru, my Lord Sesshoumaru, it is good to see you have returned, my lord." Sesshoumaru turned to see his servant Jaken running up toward him from the garden, Rin following behind. Jaken looked harried, having spent the day with Rin while Sesshoumaru attended to business in his domain. Rin looked excited to see her guardian return. "We expected you some time ago, my lord. I hope that all went well."

"Welcome home, Sesshoumaru-sama. Jaken-sama and Rin played in the garden today. Rin played hide and go peek with Jaken-sama, but Jaken-sama wasn't very good at hiding!" Rin bounced on her toes and noticing the dirt on Sesshoumaru's kimono asked, "Why is Sesshoumaru-sama dirty?"

"We will be having company for dinner. I want you to go and get clean." Sesshoumaru was pleased at his ward's attention to detail and amused at Jaken's look of pure disgust and affrontal for having been left out of something as important as a guest for dinner.

"Really, a guest, Sesshoumaru-sama! What kind of guest? Can Rin stay and eat with the guest?" Rin burbled excitedly.

"If Rin wishes to eat with the guest, she must obey and get cleaned up for dinner." Rin sped off to her room as quickly as she could, lest Sesshoumaru changed his mind. Though his face didn't show it, he was fond of his ward and amused at her antics.

"My lord," Jaken began.

"Go and get ready for dinner," Sesshoumaru cut him off before he could ask any questions. He ignored the muttered "Yes, my lord" and walked to his own rooms to clean off the dirt from the unusual guest. She was a puzzle to him. She claimed to have been alive for over 300 years, but still talked like most humans he'd encountered, offering more information than had been requested and wearing her emotions on her sleeves. But, at the same time, why would she make up such a strange story. Her injuries could have only been explained by dropping from some height, which would explain the indentation in the ground and the position she was in when he saw her. Her dress was similar to that girl that traveled with his brother…but she did not wear a skirt, but rather a form of pants that fit closer to the skin than anything worn at the time. He continued to turn the puzzle of Bekka over in his mind as he changed for dinner.

After Sesshoumaru left the bath house, Bekka turned to the servant, blushing, and said, "I can wash myself, and usually manage to dress myself, too."

"Lord Sesshoumaru instructed me to see to it. Please, my lady, allow me to perform this service. It would not do for you to appear before Lord Sesshoumaru for dinner without being properly attired." The servant bowed so deeply that she was talking to her knees.

"Stand up, please. I'm just not used to having people wait on me."

"But I am not a person, I am a demon."

"And that's supposed to make it better?" The servant, not knowing how to respond, shrugged. "What is your name?" The servant looked uncomfortable and embarrassed about being asked such a question and Bekka felt pity for her.

"Akiko."

"Well, Akiko, to avoid displeasing Lord Sesshoumaru, who has been kind enough to bring me here and see to my well being, I will permit you to perform your tasks. I ask your forgiveness for causing you distress." In all her travels, Bekka had never been to what to her was pre-modern Japan and it was probably better to allow herself to be guided through the intricacies of culture rather than bungle things on her own. She should know better by now than to argue with those who met her, but she still did so from time to time. Akiko began by washing her with a floral scented soap and washing her hair. After this, Akiko told Bekka to soak in the bath while she gathered clothing. The water was warm and felt good to Bekka's sore muscles. Akiko came back and began to brush Bekka's hair while it dried. It'd been a while since Bekka had time to relax and she enjoyed the attention being paid her. She sighed and let herself relax in the water. She must have dozed off because Akiko was apologizing for waking her up and asking her to get out so she could be dressed. Bekka stepped out into the towel and followed Akiko to the next room. Several different garments were laid out through out the room. Before Akiko was finished, she had dressed Bekka in at least a dozen different garments and had put her hair up into a bun at the back of her head. When it came to shoes, however, Bekka found herself unable to walk in the sandals with pegs on the bottom of them, what Akiko called geta sandals. "In my bag, I have some high heeled shoes….I know they're not completely proper, but I can walk in them…maybe that would be better?"

"Maybe," Akiko agreed, torn between laughter at Bekka's attempts to walk in the geta sandals and embarrassment for the girl. While dressing Bekka, the two girls had talked about things common to all girls, be they travelers or demons. They talked about the clothes and hair styles of the day. Akiko explained that since Sesshoumaru was the Lord of the Western lands, it was important that his guests be attired correctly. For women of the day, that included a kimono with several layers and an ornately tied obi and geta sandals to keep the hem of the kimono off of the ground. It was needful that the hair not fall in the face and better if it were done up in an ornate bun, but since Bekka's hair was only just past her shoulders, a simple bun was all that could be done. Akiko admired the color of Bekka's hair, since it was rare to see a human with red hair. After retrieving Bekka's heels, Akiko lead her to the dining room, on the way, explaining what would be needed for her to get through dinner without too much embarrassment.

A/N Okay, maybe this chapter has few too many details and some very long paragraphs. Since Sesshoumaru is a Lord, he would have been a member of the Samurai class, the highest caste, and since Bekka is 20, she is considered an adult and must, therefore, dress like an adult, which includes 12 different garments, minimum, in her kimono (do I really need to mention that I had a little too much time on my hands :\ ). Our dear Sesshoumaru only had to wear 5 garments to be properly dressed. A warning….Q shows up to dinner…I did mention he was arrogant.