InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveler ❯ Trust ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bekka had the feeling that she was being followed. She couldn't exactly hear anything, but she still felt that there was someone behind her and she had a fairly good idea who it was. She quickened her pace a little and ducked behind a tree. A little while later, her suspicions were confirmed. Sesshoumaru walked by, not seeing her behind the tree. "Why are you following me?" she asked

Sesshoumaru was taken aback by hearing her behind him. He was sure she was in front of him…he was following her. He turned around to face her. He couldn't think of anything to say since he wasn't expecting her to know he was following her. "How did you know I was behind you?"

She shrugged and said "Sixth sense, maybe, but you haven't answered the question. Why are you following me?"

"You left your sword behind," he offered lamely, still trying to come up with a reason to follow her that wouldn't sound like he was following her because he was worried about her.

"Yes, I know. I didn't want Naraku to get it and I doubt he would have let me keep it. Really, why are you following me?" She stepped away from the tree and walked toward him, looking intently at his face.

"This Sesshoumaru does not need a reason to be in this part of the forest," he said stiffly, looking away from her. That she knew he was following her was disturbing enough, he didn't need her reading his mind as well. He still watched her out of the tail of his eye.

"Humph, I see. Look, I told you, I need to deal with Naraku on my own. I've played Q's games enough to know that much. I told you I'd return."

"You didn't beat me fairly," Sesshoumaru was grasping at straws to get her to let him protect her.

"True, but I couldn't beat you fairly and I have to do this. You can't do this for me. It's not your fight. Look, I understand that you have your honor, but I have mine as well. I have to deal with this or I have no honor. Please, try to understand," she pleaded with him to understand with voice and eyes, "I have to go to Naraku and deal with him on my own."

"I'm glad you are going to come willingly. It makes my job so much easier," a new voice said from off to the side.

"And you are?" Bekka asked.

"I am Kagura. Naraku sent me to collect you," the woman stepped into view. Bekka thought it was odd that she was carrying a fan with her.

"I'll be right with you." Bekka turned toward Sesshoumaru, "Please understand and let me go."

He met her gaze. Her grey eyes were pleading for understanding and more. His golden eyes told her he would not give her up and this caused something around her heart to flip. They held each others eyes for a time until he finally said, "Do what you must," he answered aloud, adding silently, and I will do what I must. He turned around and walked into the forest. His words threw off Bekka's equilibrium completely and she stared after him until she couldn't see him anymore. She was feeling things that were completely new to her. She somehow knew that he would not betray her….could she actually be trusting him? How odd it felt.

"Are you ready?" Kagura asked.

Bekka turned around and muttered something affirmative and walked over to the newcomer. Suddenly, she found herself seated on a feather, flying though the air. A squeak escaped her before she could stop it, causing Kagura to chuckle. She looked below her, even though it nearly caused her stomach to rebel, and could see a faint streak of silver below, following the path the feather was taking. Her heart flipped again at this sight and she resolved to settle this thing quickly. Not wanting to give anything away, she again faced forward.

"Why would Naraku be interested in you, girl?" Kagura asked snidely.

"I've been called entertaining, I guess." Bekka answered with a shrug, "beyond that, I really don't know, other than Q made some kind of promise."

Kagura wondered to herself why Sesshoumaru was interested in this girl but didn't ask the question aloud. "Why does this Q have such sway over your life?"

"I was foolish about making a wish a long time ago. It's an old saying, but true, be careful what you wish for, you just may get it." Bekka sank into a thoughtful silence. How was she going to get away from Naraku and just what had Q promised. If she knew what Q had said to Naraku, getting away would be easy…well, easier, at any rate. She looked at Kagura, but she seemed to be concentrating on where they were going. She snuck a glance at the ground….he's still there. Knowing that gave her courage. She turned her mind inward to grapple with the problem and was surprised when they began descending.

There was a dark castle in front of them, even darker in the coming night than it might have been in the daylight. They landed in a courtyard and the feather just disappeared. Kagura led her to a door off the courtyard and motioned her to go in. The door slid shut with a finality that bothered Bekka but before she could turn around, the voice from that morning spoke from the darkness, "So, you have come, Absinthe."

"My name is Bekka, thank you very much." Damn that Q for using her birth name.

"I was told your name was Absinthe," the voice got a bit colder.

"And Q forgot to tell you that I don't respond terribly well or often to that name, did he? If you want me to cooperate, you will kindly call me Bekka." Her insides were quaking. This Naraku character gave off some inky energy that made her want to get away and quickly.

"What makes you think I want your cooperation?" Naraku stepped out of the shadows he'd been standing in. Bekka nearly gasped, he was actually quite attractive, aside from making her feel uneasy. "All I require is your presence, and that I have."

Bekka tried to come across as confident, but she did not feel that way at all, "What is it that Q told you to make you think that I was even worth your time?"

"That hardly need concern you. All that matters is that you were promised me and now here you are." Bekka's heart sank at these words. "You've had a long day, Absinthe, I think it is time you ate something. I'm sure you will see things in a better light after some food."

Bekka resolved there not to eat anything Naraku might give her. She also resolved not to respond to him if he used her given name and stood there even when he moved to the door. "Absinthe, come." Bekka continued to stand where she was. She was frightened, but was determined not to let that dictate what she did. Naraku walked over to her and grabbed her chin. It bothered her that his touch was warm. It should have been cold. "You will come when you are called, Absinthe. You are now mine and you will behave or you will be punished."

Bekka wrenched her head away from his grasp and repeated, "My name is Bekka."

He reached back to grab her hair. She tried to dodge, but she wasn't fast enough. "You will answer to whatever I choose to call you. I find Absinthe very appropriate to you, bitter one." Bekka tried to keep her distance, but he pulled her in so close she could feel his breath on her neck when he spoke. "I think we will have to drain some of that bitterness out of you, though, if you are to be of any use to me." Suddenly, he let her hair go, but held her close with his arms around her waist. She arched her back, trying to keep as far away from him as possible. He pulled her closer to him and put his mouth over hers. She tried to bite him, which only caused him to laugh, "That won't do, Absinthe, that won't do at all." Before she could think, she found herself on her back with him on top of her. "We'll just have to tame you, little Absinthe, won't we?" he taunted her.

She, however, now knew how to get out of the situation. You may be on top, but I will soon be gone, she thought. Almost as if he could read her thoughts, he said, "You're not going anywhere." His fist made contact with her cheek. He then began to work at the belt of her gi, holding her by the throat with his other hand. This gave her the chance she needed. She drew up her legs, planted her feet on his hips and shoved. He flipped over her and landed on his back above her head. She got up and faced him, crouched defensively, ready for him to attack her. He got up, laughing, "It seems I underestimated you. Be sure that won't happen again." He walked slowly up to Bekka, causing her to back up until she hit the wall behind her. He placed his hands on either side of her, and she tried to duck out under his arms, but he tripped her. She fell to the ground and tried to roll away, but he was faster and had her pinned, arms and legs this time. She tried to ram her head into his, but he moved back without loosing his grip on her. He sat up, drawing her hand under his knees and pinning them there. This freed up his hands and he went back to untying her gi. She gathered up her strength and managed to roll over, throwing him off her. She got to her feet and he grabbed her top. She untied the belt, let it fall off, leaving only her undershirt, running toward the door. Bekka didn't stop to open the door, she just ran through it and kept running across the courtyard. She vaulted over the outer wall and kept running, barely seeing well enough to avoid tripping because of the tears in her eyes. She couldn't remember being so frightened of an individual before. She ran into a solid object that appeared in front of her. She almost punched it when she saw it was Sesshoumaru. She fell against his chest and began to cry. He wrapped his arm around her, anger rising in him against Naraku.

"What happened?" he asked, concern coloring his voice.

She pulled back and under the light of the full moon he could see the bruise on her cheek and around her neck. "He….he….oh, gods above…..I can't do it. I can't get out of it. I'm so scared. Gods, I'm so scared." She fell back onto his chest, shaking.

He held her close, dropping his head to hers. "Did he use you?" He felt her shudder against him harder though she shook her head. He brought his hand to under her chin, forcing her to look at him. "You fought him off?" She bit her under lip and nodded.

"I can't get out of the promise, though. He didn't tell me anything about it. Sesshoumaru, I don't know what to do. I can't go back, I just can't. But, I can't have you in danger because of me. I'm so scared." She went back to biting her lip.

He rubbed his thumb along her chin, pulling down slightly. "Don't do that. Take a deep breath, calm yourself. What did he tell you?"

She did as she was told, closing her eyes halfway in concentration, "He said I belonged to him and that he didn't need me to cooperate, only to be there." She shuddered and opened her eyes fully and looked at him.

He returned her gaze, looking thoughtful. "That's all he said?" She nodded. "I have a solution, but it's up to you."

Color and hope leapt to her face. "Please, tell me."

"Are you willing to become mine? Are you willing to be bound to me as long as you are here?" He watched her carefully, not really certain how she would react, fearing that she would reject him. Why should I be afraid, he thought to himself. Maybe I really do….could it be….?

Bekka's eyes were shining. "Yes, absolutely."

He returned her gaze, eyes dark with emotion, kissed her lightly on the lip and bit her at the juncture of her neck and right shoulder. She gasped with the sharpness of the bite, but did not try to get away from him. He drew back, kissing her neck lightly below her ear and whispered, "Now you are mine." A delicious shudder traveled along her spine.

"Why Sesshoumaru, I didn't think your tastes ran that way." Kagura stepped out of the shadows of the surrounding trees. Bekka turned around to face Kagura.

Sesshoumaru put his arm around Bekka's shoulders, "She's mine now, Naraku cannot have her."

"I know that. Naraku will not be happy about this."

"He will take no action or he will have all the demon lords to deal with."

"I will tell him." She looked directly at Bekka, "Not all wishes turn out ill," and left.

Bekka felt the strain of the day descending on her. She felt physically and emotionally drained from everything that had happened. She felt herself sinking into oblivion. Her body weaved back and forth and would have collapsed had Sesshoumaru not already had a hold of her. As gently as he could, he gathered her up and began the journey back to his…their home. As they were flying, she wrapped her arms around his neck and muttered "love you." He kissed her arm and whispered, "I love you, Bekka." She sighed in her sleep and relaxed against him. He marveled at this little human who was now a part of him.

The moon was setting as they approached the castle, but dawn was still a long way off. Sesshoumaru entered his room and carried Bekka over to his bed. She had slept the entire way and he did not want to disturb her. Gently, he laid down on his futon with her nestled in his arm. She seemed aware that she was now in a bed and snuggled next to him, releasing his neck to hold onto his body in her sleep. It was too dark to see her now, but that didn't stop Sesshoumaru from looking in her direction. She was now his…she had agreed to this without question or hesitation. Did she trust him? Had they both met the challenge despite of the distraction of the day or because of it? He closed his eyes and allowed sleep to come to him as well.

The sun crept into the room and landed on Bekka's face. She was sore and didn't want to wake up. She also was comfortable and warm. There was something odd…something that niggled at the back of her mind. What was it? She realized she was in bed with someone. The events of the night before began to replay themselves in her mind. She opened one eye to see Sesshoumaru in the bed with her, already awake and looking at her expectantly. She opened both eyes and smiled at him. "Good morning, Love," she managed before a yawn broke out.

He smiled indulgently as she blushed. "Good morning, Love," he repeated at her.

Her eyes widened, "Really, truly, you mean it?" she asked and giggled at herself.

"Really, truly, I mean it," he echoed back at her, turning to kiss her. That kiss extinguished any doubt there might have been lurking in the back of her mind and caused her body to react. Her pain forgotten, she allowed herself to respond. He pulled back long enough to ask, "Are you sure?" She responded by kissing him and running her hands up his neck and into his hair. He thrilled in her response. He pulled her on top of him and ran his hand along her back. She pulled up long enough to work off his armor and open his kimono and fell back to kissing him as if she could not get enough. Her hands continued to work at his kimono until it fell open, revealing the stump of his missing arm. Her hand brushed against it and he stiffened slightly, not knowing how she might respond to this. She looked into his eyes and kissed his lips gently, then his stump. She sat up and pulled him up with his kimono only to push it off his shoulders as soon as he was upright enough. He pushed her back gently a little farther so that he could stand up and pulled her up with him. He noticed that she winced a little when she stood. "You're hurt?" he asked, his voice husky with desire and concern.

"It's nothing, I'm fine. I don't want to stop," her voice was throaty. He brushed her hair back from her face and kissed her. She wrapped her arms around his waist, leaning into him and began to work his pants down off his hips. She hadn't gotten very far when a knock at the door interrupted them. Bekka growled at the door, causing Sesshoumaru to raise and eyebrow at her. She pouted at him but stepped away so he could compose himself.

"Who is it?" he said.

"My lord, it is Jaken. I am so glad to know that you have returned. The Northern Lord has arrived, my lord. Did everything go well, my lord?" came the voice on the other side of the door.

Sesshoumaru put back on his kimono with the reluctant help of Bekka and went to the door. "Please send Akiko to Lady Bekka so that she may be attended to." Bekka blushed as Jaken shot her a dirty look, his look darkening as he noticed the mark on her shoulder.

"Yes, my lord. Is there anything else this Jaken can do for you, my lord?"

"No, that will be all, Jaken." Sesshoumaru closed the door and walked to where Bekka stood. His eyes were full of regret as he kissed her and whispered, "Later."

Bekka pouted again and replied, "Better!" She glared at him, almost causing him to laugh at her. She couldn't keep the look for long, though and smiled at him. "My love," her mood changing abruptly, "can we thank those that showed up yesterday and helped us? I did promise a story and I do hate to break a promise."

He looked at her and smiled slightly, though there was some difficulty behind it. She didn't know his relationship with InuYasha and he could not fault her for wanting to fulfill her promise. He kissed her on the forehead, "Yes, perhaps this afternoon."

She wrapped her arms around his neck, "Thank you." She had noticed his hesitation and wondered what it was about, but didn't press him about it. She was confident that he would tell her when he had time. He made sure his robes were straight and left the room.

In a short time, there was another knock at the door and Akiko came in carrying a bathing robe. "My lady, I thought you might like to bathe before you dressed. Lord Sesshoumaru asked that you be properly dressed to meet the Northern Lord for lunch."

"Akiko, that sounds wonderful, thank you."

Bekka allowed herself to be led to the bath house and was almost there when a bundle of energy attached itself to her leg. She reached down and picked up Rin and hugged her close. "I'm sorry, little Rin. I didn't mean to scare you yesterday."

Rin wrapped her arms in a choke hold around Bekka, "You're home! Rin missed you. Don't go away again!"

Bekka squeezed Rin, "I won't sweetie. Do you want to take a bath with me?"

Rin squirmed to get down and ran away, "Ewww, baths!" Bekka had to laugh at the little girl.

At lunch, she was presented as Lady Bekka of the Western Lands, consort of the Lord of the Western Lands and was seated at Sesshoumaru's right hand. Only then did she really begin to understand the implications of what had happened the night before, what Sesshoumaru had meant when he told her she was his. Her heart leapt and she had difficulty keeping her mind focused on the conversation of the table. She did manage to make a positive impression on the Northern Lord, however.

After lunch, Bekka changed into a gi, which was much more comfortable than the formal kimono, while Sesshoumaru parted with his guest. She found Rin playing in the garden and asked if she wanted to go for a trip with her and Sesshoumaru. Rin attached herself to Bekka and refused to let go. She gathered her violin, glad that she had left it because she'd lost her bag and her belt knife at Naraku's.

"They're not far away, we'll walk," Sesshoumaru set an easy pace. Bekka walked beside him, carrying her violin and Rin ran ahead and back to them, showing Bekka flowers and leaves. Bekka would identify each one and explain what they were used to treat. As they were walking, Sesshoumaru began telling her about his relationship with InuYasha, them being half brothers and their father's inheritance. He told her about his jealousy over his brother's sword and how it has caused him the loss of his arm.

She listened to what he said quietly. When he finished, she quietly said, "I understand. Thank you for humoring me. I deeply appreciate it." She looked at him and smiled, "I wasn't too fond of my siblings either. I had two, both younger and bigger than I was. I hated being left in charge when my parents would go out because my brother and sister would not listen to me. I'd usually end up at the bottom of a pile being tickled. That was one of the reasons I didn't want to be at home any more. Though, now that they're not around, there are times I miss them…not often, but sometimes. Sometimes, I just want to show them they couldn't pin me any more," she grinned at him. Strangely, her acceptance made him feel warm.

"Shippou!" Rin shouted.

Bekka frowned in curiosity, following Rin's line of site. There was a small child with red ears and a red tail, like a fox, who turned at Rin's shout and ran toward the little girl. "Kagome cares for him. He lost his family," Sesshoumaru explained as the other group noticed the newcomers.

Kagome and Sango both ran toward Bekka and hugged her tightly. They both expressed their relief at her safe return, one in each ear. Bekka laughed and hugged them back as well as she could without hitting either in the head with her violin.

When they let go of her, Bekka found herself a little off balance. Miroku took her arm and steadied her. He stepped in closer and wrapped his arm around her waist, hand inching lower, asking, "How did you escape?" The last word came out a gasp when Bekka's violin suddenly found itself in his stomach.

"I already have one story to tell you, I'll add that to the end. I also thought you all might like some music."

"That's why you're here? To tell us a story?" InuYasha's voice was surly.

Bekka looked at him firmly, "You wouldn't have me break a promise, would you? Then again, you don't have to listen, either, if you don't want to."

"Feh, whatever," InuYasha glared at her and Sesshoumaru and threw himself on to the ground cross-legged. The others arranged themselves on the ground, Kagome giving InuYasha a warning look.

Bekka sat as well and began her story, telling her history, how she began traveling and some of her adventures along the way. It was nearly sunset when she finished telling them the salient points of the night before, leaving out a few details. By this time, the children had run out of games and energy and started asking for food. Together, the group set up a fire and gathered food for supper.

While supper was cooking, Bekka offered to play. As she set her violin on her left shoulder, leaning her chin on it, the bite on her neck became visible. "It seems I am too late to ask you to bear my children," Miroku stated sadly, only to be slapped by Sango.

"She is now my mate and consort. Naraku cannot claim her, no matter what Q or anyone else may say," Sesshoumaru stated, wrapping his arm around her.

InuYasha glared daggers at Sesshoumaru. Bekka saw this and walked over and knelt in front of him. "Please, InuYasha, can you not be happy for us?" Bekka pleaded with voice and eyes. She'd had a lot of practice and was very good at changing people's moods. He softened and muttered a "Feh" that was lost in a Bekka's shoulder as she hugged him, "Thank you, brother," she whispered in his ear, kissing his cheek as she got up. "Now," she said with the finality of one who felt all was well in the world again, "I shall play." She played a merry tune, not one she knew from music, but one that came from her heart and soul. An improvised song expressing her happiness and contentment. Those listening couldn't help but smiling.

After supper, Rin asked to play and Bekka handed her the violin. The little girl could now play fairly competently, for a beginner, and was very enthusiastic about her playing. Bekka smiled and stepped back into the shadows of the forest, looking up at the sky between the limbs and leaves. There were shooting stars in the sky that night and she watched them as they streaked across the part of the sky she could see. Sesshoumaru walked up beside her, "Make a wish."

Bekka sighed, "I wish to stay here and not travel any more. I am tired of traveling and I don't want to leave you or Rin. I want to stay with you for the rest of my life." She turned and leaned against Sesshoumaru, trying to hide her tears.

"Is that what you really want?" the voice was familiar but the tone was not. Q walked into the light, causing Rin to stop playing and everyone to look at him. He was dressed as a Samurai instead of an emperor. "Do you truly wish to stay here and live out your life, Bekka?"

Bekka gaped at him. He called her by her chosen name. She recovered enough to nod. Q sighed sadly, "I really shall miss our games, but you have figured out the final move and here it must end." He turned slightly to address Sesshoumaru, "Lord Sesshoumaru, for taking part in this final game, I grant you a boon." He snapped his fingers and Sesshoumaru's missing arm had returned. "Farewell, Bekka, and may you have a long and happy life." With that, he disappeared.