InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth About Cats and Dogs ❯ Inuyasha's Concern ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Recap: Miroku, Shippo and Kagome all learned about Kirara's new human form, and Inuyasha came face-to-face with her, but he appeared to be concerned about something…
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chapter 3 - Inuyasha's Concern
 
“I was under a spell that bound me in the form of a small cat, but now I'm free,” Kirara patiently explained, touching a hand to the back of her head where Inuyasha had grabbed her.
 
“Oh,” Inuyasha said. “Well, that's going to cause a bit of a problem for me…”
 
“It is?”
 
“Yeah…”
 
Kirara frowned, the look on Inuyasha's face leaving her feeling suddenly very unsettled. Just what was he thinking?
 
“Like what, exactly?' she asked slowly.
 
“Well, we just got back from Kagome's era, and we needed you to carry the bags,” Inuyasha bluntly replied. “And you're not really a lot of use to us like that.”
 
Kirara looked down at herself as Inuyasha waved a finger over her.
 
“And how are we meant to ride you now?” he added.
 
Kirara let out a short growl, fixing her eyes onto Inuyasha's.
 
“But I guess since you can obviously still transform into a fire-cat - you can still transform, right?”
 
“Right.”
 
“Oh, okay. Well, there's a load of bags by the old bone eater's well. Bring them back here.”
 
Kirara slowly narrowed her eyes, studying Inuyasha for any sign that he was mocking her somehow.
 
“Inuyasha!” Miroku said breathlessly as he joined them. “You didn't let me finish! Kirara has been under a spell-”
 
“She already told me,” Inuyasha casually replied.
 
“And you're alright with this?” Sango asked, appearing at Inuyasha's side.
 
“Why wouldn't I be?” Inuyasha snorted.
 
“Because she's a pure demon, and now she's probably a lot stronger than you are, Inuyasha,” Shippo replied, with his usual, childlike tact and grace. “And she's a cat demon. Don't cat demons and dog demons hate each other?”
 
“I dunno about that, but I hear cat demons like to eat annoying little fox demons who don't ever know when to shut-up,” Inuyasha muttered.
 
“We should start preparing for our journey, we will need to leave soon,” Miroku suggested, in an attempt to prevent any arguments from breaking out.
 
“We can't leave just yet,” Kirara hurriedly pointed out. “My new clothes won't be ready until the day after tomorrow.”
 
“Your new clothes?” Inuyasha spat. “You mean we all have to put our lives on hold just because you want some new stupid clothes?”
 
“Yes,” Kirara tightly replied. “Almost like how we all have to put our lives on hold when you want to go back to Kagome's time to get some more stinking dog food to stuff your face with!”
 
“You know, I think I preferred you when you were a dumb little cat!” Inuyasha retaliated.
 
“I'd rather be a dumb little cat than a stupid, smelly, flea-ridden dog!” Kirara snapped.
 
“Hey, I don't have fleas!” Inuyasha argued, before scratching at his neck. “Myoga!”
 
Inuyasha growled, plucking the little flea-demon from his neck.
 
“Myoga?” Kirara whispered, squinting down at Inuyasha's fingers. “I have a few things I would like to say to you myself, you cowardly little insect vermin!”
 
“Haven't you said enough already?” Inuyasha said, eying Kirara over.
 
“I don't have time for this, I'm busy right now!” Kirara shortly replied.
 
The others watched as Kirara leapt into the air, transforming back into her more familiar fire-cat form, flying out over the trees.
 
“Why is she hunting for animals skins, anyway?” Inuyasha asked Sango.
 
“She has to do it, it was the only way she could pay the dress-maker for making her some new clothes,” Sango explained.
 
“And she said she wants to go see Totosai for a new sword,” Miroku added.
 
“Totosai?” Inuyasha echoed. “Like he'd ever make a sword for a stupid little girl like her! And what are you doing here, Myoga?”
 
“I've just come from Master Totosai's, Master Inuyasha,” Myoga replied. “He has a special gift for you.”
 
“Oh yeah?” Inuyasha asked his sarcasm barely concealed. “Let me guess, the old man needs help heating up his bathwater again…”
 
“No, no Master Inuyasha!” Myoga hurriedly replied. “Master Totosai has a special sharpening stone for your Tetsusaiga, I just came here to ask Kirara if she would come back with me to collect it!”
 
“Keh, good luck getting any help out of that crazy woman,” Inuyasha said, tilting his hand so that Myoga slid off to the ground.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome said, watching as Inuyasha slowly walked back towards Kaede's hut. “What's wrong with him?” she asked the others.
 
“He's upset because Kirara is a girl,” Shippo plainly replied, before slapping a hand against the side of his face, squashing Myoga flat.
 
Kagome turned to Sango and Miroku, but both merely shrugged their shoulders.
 
“Unfortunately for us, it seems that Kirara is every bit as feisty and stubborn as Inuyasha,” Miroku said with a sigh. “And so it looks like the next few days should be entertaining, to say the least…”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“Hey, stupid!”
 
Kirara growled impatiently, standing in her fire-cat form by the limp body of the bear she had just slaughtered.
 
“Look, why don't you let me help you, then we can leave quicker, alright?” Inuyasha continued, walking over to her.
 
Kirara transformed back into her human form, opening her mouth to answer Inuyasha - but he interrupted her before she got the chance to talk.
 
“Look, I didn't come here for a fight, okay?” he said, holding up one hand. “So let's just get on with this.”
 
Kirara's jaw dropped as Inuyasha unsheathed the Tetsusaiga and began sniffing the air.
 
“First of all, Inuyasha,” she began. “If you use that thing, you'll obliterate the animals, and I need them in one piece. Secondly, the reason this is taking so long is because the dressmaker needs this time to finish my clothes. So unless you are any good with a needle and thread Inuyasha, there is nothing you can do to hurry this process along, understand?”
 
“Sheesh, you are so annoying!” Inuyasha retorted, roughly re-sheathing his sword.
 
“Yes, the feeling is mutual,” Kirara calmly replied. “And imagine how much more annoying it has been for me. Until now, I was never able to answer back.”
 
“Yeah, and we all preferred you that way.”
 
“Why can't you just be happy for me? Honestly Inuyasha, you must be the most emotionally retarded individual I have ever met! I've watched you play with Kagome's feelings…”
 
“What? You don't even know what you're talking about!”
 
“Actually, I-”
 
“Shh!”
 
“Don't you “shh” me!”
 
“Shut-up, would ya? Can't you sense that?”
 
Inuyasha gripped onto his Tetsusaiga, lowering his head as he concentrated all his efforts on the demonic aura that was rapidly closing in on them.
 
“It's a dragon, a toad and a dog!” Kirara said suddenly.
 
“Well done, stupid,” Inuyasha grumbled. “It's my brother and his servants.”
 
“Sesshomaru?” Kirara asked.
 
But before Inuyasha could answer, a shadow fell over them. Looking up, they could see the silhouette of Sesshomaru's two-headed dragon steed Ah-Un hovering high above them. Sesshomaru slid off one side of the dragon demon, floating down to the ground, landing silently and gracefully in front of Inuyasha.
 
“I might have known all that noise and that bad smell was coming from you, little brother,” Sesshomaru greeted him coldly.
 
“Can it, jackass!” Inuyasha barked back at him, tugging at his Tetsusaiga.
 
“Don't bother, I didn't come here for a fight,” Sesshomaru said calmly, causing Inuyasha to freeze on the spot. “I only came to ask if you have found Naraku yet.”
 
“As if I'd tell you!” Inuyasha sneered.
 
Sesshomaru stared, unblinkingly and expressionlessly back at Inuyasha, which only aggravated Inuyasha's temper further.
 
“And quit staring at me!” he added.
 
“He's telling the truth,” Kirara said, stepping forwards to stand alongside Inuyasha. “We don't know where Naraku is. We haven't been able to sense any traces of either Naraku or the Shikon Jewel. We did hear that he had-”
 
“I am in no humour to give consequence to filthy little cat demons who have been cast out by their own kind,” Sesshomaru interrupted her, his tone as smooth and monotonous as ever, his eyes still fixed on Inuyasha. “Can you or can you not tell me where I can find Naraku?”
 
Inuyasha glanced at Kirara, surprised to find her staring at Sesshomaru with an almost frightened, and mildly embarrassed expression on her face.
 
“We heard he'd gone off to the North-East somewhere, but that's all we know,” Inuyasha said. “But you needn't bother going after him Sesshomaru, I'm gonna be the one who kills Naraku!”
 
Sesshomaru paused a moment longer, before rising up into the air and settling back onto his dragon demon's back. As they took off again, Inuyasha turned to Kirara, even more surprised to find she was still wearing the same expression on her face, and she was still staring at the spot where Sesshomaru had been standing only moments ago.
 
“Keh, if I'd known it was so damn easy to get you to shut-up, I'd have said that long ago…” he muttered, more to himself than Kirara.
 
“What an intolerable, loathsome creature!” Kirara eventually said.
 
Despite the anger in her voice, Kirara's face had turned redder, and she looked more ashamed and affronted than irked or angered.
 
“Yeah, I call him jackass,” Inuyasha replied.
 
“Jackass?” Kirara asked, turning to Inuyasha.
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha said, nodding his head. “It means stupid, ugly and annoying.”
 
“Jackass…” Kirara muttered thoughtfully. “Hey Sesshomaru, you're a jackass!” she screamed, waving a fist in the air.
 
Inuyasha grinned, clapping a hand onto Kirara's shoulder.
 
“Welcome on board, Kirara,” he said.
 
Kirara turned to him, smiling back at him.
 
“You know, it would be nice to have some company while I hunt…” she began. “And if I bring the old lady enough furs, she will make a nice kimono for Sango, and I would like to be able to give such a nice present to Sango, to say thank you to her for looking after me all these years and now for freeing me.”
 
“Sure,” Inuyasha agreed.
 
“Just promise you'll only use your fangs and claws,” Kirara added.
 
“I promise.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sango stood up from the fire they had built outside Kaede's hut, smiling as she sighted Kirara walking back from the dressmaker's hut. It was late evening, and she was certain her friend would be tired and hungry.
 
“Huh?” Sango muttered, as she saw Inuyasha appear behind Kirara, apparently joining up with her and talking to her.
 
Sango's confusion only deepened when she saw both Kirara and Inuyasha smile, and she heard Inuyasha laugh.
 
“I wonder what happened between them to make them suddenly like each other,” Miroku commented, standing up by Sango's side.
 
“Inuyasha sure looks like he's enjoying himself,” Kagome added, standing up at Miroku's other side.
 
Miroku grinned to himself, reaching out each of his hands to each of the girls. A few seconds later, Miroku staggered back, red marks on both sides of his face. He dropped clumsily to the ground, sitting by the fire. Shippo hopped over to him, frowning up at him.
 
“It was worth it,” Miroku insisted.
 
“It was?” Shippo echoed curiously.
 
“Hey you guys, what's so funny?” Kagome greeted the duo as they joined the group.
 
“Oh, you wouldn't understand,” Kirara replied, grinning at Inuyasha. “It's a demon thing.”
 
Kagome faltered slightly as Kirara rubbed Inuyasha's shoulder and the two locked eyes, both smiling at each other.
 
“How did the hunt go?” Sango asked, sensing Kagome's awkwardness.
 
“It went brilliantly!” Kirara replied, moving her eyes from Inuyasha at last to look at her friend.
 
“We did so well, the old lady told us we don't need to find any more furs,” Inuyasha added.
 
“But unfortunately, she still won't be finished any quicker,” Kirara said. “So we thought that maybe tomorrow we would go to see Totosai.”
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha continued. “The old man has got a sharpening stone for me, and we were hoping he could make a sword for Kirara.”
 
“That sounds fun!” Kagome said, smiling at Inuyasha. “I'll pack my bag with supplies for one day for the six of us-”
 
“Nah, that's okay Kagome,” Inuyasha interrupted her. “We were just gonna go on our own.”
 
Kagome glanced back and forth between Inuyasha and Kirara nervously.
 
“What, just the two of you?” she asked quietly.
 
“Yes,” Kirara confirmed. “We can get there and back much quicker if just the two of us go.”
 
“Oh,” Kagome said, a hurt expression flashing across her face.
 
Sango winced as she caught the look on Kagome's face, turning back to Inuyasha and Kirara to see how they had reacted; but both were looking into each other's eyes again. They began to sit down, side-by-side, at the opposite of the fire from the others, but Sango quickly stopped them.
 
“Kirara,” she said abruptly. “Can we talk? Alone?”
 
“Certainly,” Kirara agreed. “Excuse me,” she said to Inuyasha.
 
Sango walked on ahead with Kirara following her. Once Sango was satisfied that they were sufficiently far enough away from the fire not to be heard, she stopped, turning to face Kirara.
 
“Are you sure you want to travel alone with Inuyasha?” she asked Kirara quietly.
 
“Oh don't worry, we won't fight,” Kirara assured her. “It seems we have something in common, and it has helped us get along a little better.”
 
“Really?” Sango asked, quirking an eyebrow at her. “It seems to me like the two of you are getting along a lot better.”
 
Kirara looked momentarily confused, but then broke into a grin.
 
“Well…” she said vaguely.
 
“Just be careful, Kirara,” Sango warned her.
 
“Oh Sango,” Kirara said, touching a hand to Sango's shoulder. “Trust me, I've been around a very long time, and, unlike Inuyasha, I understand people's feelings. I know what I'm doing, you just have to trust me.”
 
Sango frowned questioningly, but Kirara merely grinned at her and then turned away from her again, heading back over to join the others by the fire.
 
“Hm…” Sango mumbled, feeling somewhat less than convinced by Kirara's words.
 
The most romantic thing Sango had expected to happen to Kirara in her new form was for Miroku to try to grope her much the same way he groped Sango, Kagome, and every other female he ever met. But this was something a little different, more sinister, and a lot more unexpected.
 
Shaking her head in an attempt to shake the brooding ideas from her mind, Sango headed back to the fire, rejoining the others with a smile.
 
“Oh Sango, while we were hunting, we met Sesshomaru,” Kirara said as Sango sat down opposite her.
 
“Sesshomaru?” Sango repeated in disbelief. “What was he doing in the forest?”
 
“He was looking for Inuyasha,” Kirara replied. “He wanted information on Naraku.”
 
“He wasn't looking for me,” Inuyasha said. “He was just doing what he always does.”
 
“And what is that?” Kirara asked curiously.
 
“He was being a jackass,” Inuyasha casually replied.
 
Kirara laughed, accepting a cooked fish on a stick from Shippo.
 
“He was very rude to us,” Kirara added, before biting into her fish.
 
“He's always rude,” Sango replied.
 
“Yes, it seems to run in the family,” Miroku muttered.
 
“Hey, I heard that, Miroku!” Inuyasha snapped irritably.
 
“So what did he say to you?” Sango asked Kirara. “Did he recognise you?”
 
“I don't know if he recognised me, exactly,” Kirara slowly replied. “He said…”
 
Kirara smiled, before putting on a blank, yet slightly stern expression, befitting of Sesshomaru.
 
“I am in no humour to give consequence to filthy little cat demons who have been cast out by their own kind,” she said, trying her best to make her voice sound like Sesshomaru's, but failing miserably as her giggles bubbled through her words.
 
“He said that?” Sango echoed. “What a rude and arrogant man!”
 
“It doesn't bother me!” Kirara assured her. “But I think I can safely say that he is the most rude and arrogant man I have ever met.”
 
“He's a jackass,” Inuyasha offered.
 
“Yes, he is a jackass,” Kirara agreed. “I can safely promise you all that, after our next confrontation, Sesshomaru is more than likely to find himself without his other arm.”
 
“Ha, then he would be armless!” Inuyasha said, grinning to himself.
 
“That was so rude of him,” Sango muttered.
 
“It's okay Sango, honestly. I think it's rather funny, in fact.”
 
Sango smiled weakly, finding herself more offended by Sesshomaru's insult than Kirara apparently was.
 
“Hey Kirara, Sesshomaru wouldn't be much threat if you did cut off his other arm, because then he would be totally armless!” Inuyasha said again, apparently still pleased with his own joke.
 
Kirara afforded him a smile, whilst Kagome laughed for unnatural length of time at the joke.
 
“That's really funny, Inuyasha!” she said. “Armless! Ha!”
 
Sango and Miroku turned to each other, exchanging looks of scepticism, whilst Shippo continued chewing his way through a bag of hard candies Kagome had taken back for him, blissfully oblivious to the tension around him.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Next Chapter: Kirara and Inuyasha travel to see Totosai, where they gain more than just a sharpening stone and a new sword. Chapter 4 - Totosai's Wisdom.