InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Wandering Miko ❯ Pari meets Kikyo ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Muhahahahahahaha!!!! Okay. That's over for today.

Chapter 3: Pari meets Kikyo

Disclaimer: Hmm. (looks over Inuyasha) Nope. (looks over Naraku) Sorry. (looks over Miroku) Defiantly not. (looks over Sesshomaru) I could only wish…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morning came and Pari was indeed waiting for them to wake up. Shippo merely yawned as he had already become accustomed to her. Inuyasha jumped down when Kagome started making Ramen for breakfast.

"Do you guys eat anything other than that?" Pari asking.

"Occasionally. But its Inuyasha's favorite," Kagome said.

"I see. And you told me that yesterday," Pari said.

"Hey Pari?" Shippo said.

"Yeah?" Pari asked looking down at him.

"Why haven't you eaten? I noticed yesterday you hadn't stay for breakfast, you didn't even try lunch, and you didn't stay with us for dinner. Why?" he asked.

"You're the first to really notice Shippo. I congratulate you on that. I try not to draw attention to myself and the fact that you picked it up was truly talented," Pari said.

Shippo blushed a little and continued eating.

"Feh," Inuyasha started, "What's so special about it?"

"It's the fact that he can study people and remember details down to the smallest things. You, I'm sure, lack that," Pari said.

"Feh, the runt is weak so what's the point?" Inuyasha said.

"While he may be weak now, Inuyasha, he will grow and him being a full blooded demon means he won't be weak for long. And his studying people and remember details like that will mean he can study his enemies and find their weak point. Unlike you, who I'm sure runs into battle blindly until you hit a weak point and try to hit there again," Pari said.

"So what's wrong with that?" Inuyasha asked.

"Smart demons know when their weak point has been discovered and try not to make the same mistake again. Most don't. So you have to continuously study them to find others," Pari said.

"Feh," Inuyasha said returning to his Ramen.

Pari walked up to Shippo and leaned down to his ear.

"Don't worry about him. You'll be a great fighter. I can see Inuyasha really cares and he's just training you in his own way. You'll make him proud one day," Pari said.

Shippo blushed and nodded. He looked at Inuyasha with admiration before returning to his Ramen. Pari smiled a bit before leaning against a tree, Inuyasha style, and closing her eyes folding her arms in front of her. Kagome looked up.

"You know, Shippo's right. You really should eat," she said.

"I've trained my body to ignore such desires. I only eat when I truly have to," Pari said.

"When do you have to?" Miroku asked.

"Every other week. I ate last week. I have three more days before I will eat again," Pari said.

"So why don't you just eat now? Skip a day next week?" Kagome asked.

"It would interrupt my cycle. Besides I pride myself in my training and being able to uphold it. I won't break it because I ate your cooking to be polite. As a miko I thought you knew these things?" Pari said never opening her eyes.

"I didn't have the formal training. I couldn't imagine doing things like that," Kagome said.

"Kikyo never had to," Inuyasha said without caring everyone went silent at her name.

"The miko, Kikyo? Oh yeah, the first protector of the Shikon no Tama. The one who fell in love with a half-breed and died by his hands," Pari said.

"I didn't kill her. It was a trap set by a demon named Naraku," Inuyasha said.

Pari opened her eyes and quirked an eyebrow at Inuyasha.

"You're telling me that not only are you the son of the late Lord Inutaisho, you're the half-breed that attacked the village of the miko, Kikyo, for the Shikon no Tama?" Pari asked. Inuyasha nodded his head. "Huh. As in your statement of Kikyo never doing what I am. Mikos from different families train differently but they always know about other mikos training," Pari said.

Pari closed her eyes again waiting for everyone to finish their breakfast. Soon they were heading off again. Once in a while you would hear…

SMACK!

"Pervert!"

"But Lady Sango, I didn't mean to do it."

…Or…

"YOU…"

THUD!

"As always Lady Sango, it was worth it."

…And Pari's favorite…

"PERVERT!"

SMACK!

"OW…WAIT! STOP!"

THUD!

"LADY SANGO!"

POW!

THUMP!

"Kirara, you need to carry Miroku for a while. He's out cold."

Pari walked almost next to Inuyasha. He could see she was visibly tense about something from the corner of his eye. Eventually he turned to her and was about to say something when…TWANG!

Pari caught the arrow in front of Kagome's face. Spinning around and notching the arrow she caught to her bow she let it fly. She waited.

"It's still alive…whatever it is," Pari said.

Inuyasha sniffed and his eyes widened.

"Inuyasha what is it?" Kagome asked.

"K-Kikyo," he whispered.

"What? The miko is dead," Pari said.

"You're half right," Kikyo said emerging from the brush.

"Kikyo. Why are you here?" Inuyasha asked.

"How is this possible?" Pari asked Kagome.

"Her bones and earth from her grave were stolen by an ogress and she was brought back. She holds part of my soul and the souls of dead young women to stay in this world," Kagome said.

"I see," Pari said.

"Kikyo," Inuyasha said.

"I came for my Jewel Shards and the rest of my soul," Kikyo said notching an arrow and aimed for Kagome.

Pari notched an arrow and aimed at Kikyo.

"Not if I can help it, clay-pot," Pari said firing an arrow at Kikyo's feet.

Kikyo was shocked to see the arrow's purified powers flare up. Kikyo had shut her eyes from the light and when she opened them again, after the light subsided, she found her arrow and bow melting in her hands.

"How…" Kikyo started.

"I only give one warning shot, dead one. You are to leave Lady Kagome in peace or you die," Pari said notching another arrow.

Inuyasha stood in front of her.

"NO! Leave Kikyo alone!" he yelled.

Pari narrowed her eyes, "Like I said. Kikyo is dead. That is only a look a like, nothing more than an image. I will not allow that thing to harm Kagome," Pari said.

Inuyasha looked back to Kikyo only to find that she had fled. He turned back to Pari.

"You leave Kikyo alone. Never try to harm her again," Inuyasha said.

Pari placed her arrow back in her quiver and said, "Only if she does not attack those of the living again. As a miko it is my duty to protect those of this world. I don't care if you have feelings for the corpse or not."

Inuyasha growled. Pari glared at him.

"Inuyasha, please. She doesn't understand," Kagome reasoned.

"I don't care! You leave Kikyo alone! I won't let you kill her!" Inuyasha yelled before turning around and starting to walk.

Kagome placed a hand on Pari's shoulder, "Inuyasha doesn't mean it. He promised to protect Kikyo and he becomes very defensive if anyone even looks at her in the wrong way. Please, next time just leave Kikyo alone. I'm sure you can protect those of the living without shooting at Kikyo," Kagome said.

Kagome began to walk towards Inuyasha. Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara had gone ahead. Pari slightly turned towards them before speaking.

"Tell me Kagome, why is it, when you love him so much, you would protect the one he loves even if it meant your death?" Pari asked.

Kagome froze and then turned to Pari giving her a small smile.

"Because, I could never live with myself if he was unhappy. Him or any of my friends. I would gladly sacrifice myself if it meant happiness would be granted to my friends. Even you Pari," Kagome said.

"Me?" Pari asked.

"Yes. You're my friend now. If you ever need me I would gladly help. Even if I died," Kagome said before turning around.

Pari watched her walk away before starting to walk herself. `She would gladly sacrifice herself if it meant happiness for others,' Pari thought.

They continued stopping only for some lunch. Inuyasha was pushing them today. Pari didn't seem to notice. She was, however, noticing the lack of noises in the forest. Her eyes darted from side to side. Her hand came up and she took out an arrow and notched it to her bow. She kept it pointed down as she began walking as if she were stalking something. Inuyasha also felt what ever it was that was getting to Pari. He growled lowly when he finally figured out who it was. He grabbed Tetsusaiga and pointed it towards an area.

"Inuyasha…" Kagome started.

"It's a demon," Pari whispered.

Everyone looked to Inuyasha. He breathed one name that rivaled Naraku.

"Sesshomaru."