InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ Explanations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Two: Explanations

 

{Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.}

 

Author's Note: Hi again minna-san! I hoped you liked the first chapter. If not, ah well, I'll try harder to please yalls next time. Okay, a word of warning now. This fic is told in first person, but alternates between Kagome and Sesshoumaru's point of view. The last chapter is going to be told by a surprise person. This is a Kag/Sess paring, if you haven't guessed yet. Okay, enough said, on with the fic!

-Flame

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

I growled as I sat at my desk. How could that wench sneak in here without being noticed? Even I, as much as I hate to admit it, didn't even sense her until I got to my door. And here I thought I could get a good nights rest tonight…I was sadly mistaken in that thought.

I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples. Why did this have to happen tonight? I already have enough to deal with, and I don't need this wench adding onto my long list of problems. All of this stress was beginning to give me a head ach. What is taking that wench so long anyway?

She couldn't have gotten lost. If she could easily find her way to my bedchambers without a problem, then certainly she'll have no challenge finding her way to my study. Opening my eyes I looked down at all the papers I had yet to go over. A Lords' job is never done. I picked up the first of the papers on the pile. As I began reading over it I immediately figured out who dared write to me from the overly fancy handwriting. It was most defiantly the Lady of the Northern Lands. That stupid wolf youkai, when will she get it through her thick skull to leave me alone?

Sesshoumaru, you have not attended any of the most recent gatherings, and I must inform you of your obligation to attend. You are the Lord of the Western Lands. If you do not attend you will lose the respect of your people and possibly you may even loose your lordship. You have not even chosen a mate to stand beside you as Lady of the Western Lands. So I am giving you fair warning. This year, the other Lords and Ladies agree with me, that the gathering shall be held at your castle. We will meet in three moon cycles, until then.

-Saiya

Can my life get anymore complicated than it already is? Not only am I still being hounded about finding a mate, but now I have to be a good little Lord and host everyone while they get drunk and hit on my servants. Please, I'd rather kill them then let them in my home. But I don't have a choice in the matter now do I? No, I don't.

I sighed and tossed the announcement towards a basket across the room. How can this day get any worse? I picked up the next paper and looked at the odd pirntcive…is that even a word? Who dares write to me this time?

My Dearest Loved One, Oh Kami no! I refuse to read anything sent to me by her. I tore up the paper and walked over to the basket and watch all the little shreds fluttered into the dark abyss with all the other trash. I swear, I've told that woman never to write me. And especially not to call me her `Loved One.' I would rather die than mate with that conceited wolf. I don't care if she is Saiya's daughter or not…wait, yes I do. They're both conceited.

I shook my head and tried to relive some of the stress of the day. The only thing still bothering me now is the fact that the wench still isn't here. Why do I have this sinking feeling in my gut saying she got lost? If you can't find your way around, don't sneak in. I walked out into the hall and closed my eyes.

Rubbing my temples I continued to try to relax myself. This day has been way too stressful, even for me. It was at that moment I felt something solid hit my toe. Opening my eyes and regaining my balance before I tripped I looked down to see the wench sitting in the middle of the hall looking up at me with curious gray-blue eyes. "What are you doing here wench?"

I couldn't help but ask it. I was tired and wanted to get this whole problem sorted out so I could sleep. The wench looked up at me with a fire burning in her eyes. This was quite amusing; I had no idea ningens could have fire burning in their eyes. I watched as she stood and rose to her tiptoes to bring herself eyelevel as much as possible. Though she still didn't even reach my nose.

"What did you just call me?" Oh does the little ningen wench think she can challenge me? This should prove to be interesting.

"I called you a wench."

"Listen bud," Bud? In what way am I an un-bloomed flower? "I'm not happy about being here, just as much as you don't like me here." She's got that right. But what a sharp tongue, I wonder if she knows whom she's speaking to? "But, I would appreciate it if you would call me by my name. It's Kagome, Kagome Higarashi, if your puny brain can't remember from a few minutes ago." This wench is really pushing her luck with me. "My name is not wench, woman, girl, babe, or miko." Oh? So the wench is a miko? Now this changes everything doesn't it…yeah…sure...

"So you are a miko, wench."

"What did I just tell you? Can you not remember something as simple as a name? I truly pity you and any children you sire." I'm really going to kill this wench. I'm on my last strand of patience and she's really pushing it. It's a wonder I haven't killed her already. I must be spending too much time with Rin. "But to answer your question, I can use miko powers."

"Explain."

"I started training to become a miko, but never completed it." Great! Now she's an untrained ningen miko wench! What else can go wrong today? Taking a deep breath I tried to relax for the umpteenth time that day.

"What are you doing here? Did I not tell you to meet me in my study?"

"Like I really know where that is!"

"You had no trouble finding your way to my private chambers so why would you have a problem finding the study?"

"Well I can't just teleport myself into your study now can I? As much as I'd love to be able to do that again, I can't. I've tried already."

"What are you talking about?" This wench was crazy…great…I have a crazy untrained ningen miko wench under my roof.

"I didn't mean to come here…it was an accident. I was trying to use my miko powers to help me sleep and I…" The wench trailed off to the point that not even I could hear her.

"Speak up."

"I sne…"

"What?"

"I sneezed okay! There are you happy! I have no control over my power so when I sneeze something bad happens! Are you happy now?" Yet another word to add onto the list. Uncontrolled.

"Then what happened this time?"

"I transported into your room. And judging by the look of your clothes and home, I'd say I transported through time as well." A crazy uncontrolled untrained ningen miko wench from the future…this just gets better and better. And here I thought things couldn't get worse than they wore. "I've tried to get home, but I can't. So I guess I'm stuck here for a while." Relax…just relax. Some good has to come from this. Maybe she could be a good role model for Rin.

I mean Rin needs a ningen female to teach her how to do all those feminine things. Flower arrangement, cooking, sowing, you know, the girly things. Maybe the wench is even educated, that would be a plus. See, look for the positives and this whole ordeal isn't as bad. "Tell me, are you educated."

She blinked at the question and looked a bit confused. Maybe I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch next time. Why did I even think for a moment that this wench was even remotely educated? "Yes actually. I've gone to school for twenty-three years." Never mind…maybe things will work out better than I first thought.

"Good. You will say here and tutor Rin."

"Who is Rin?"

"You will find out in the morning. She will wake you at down. Follow me and I will show you to your room for the time being."

"Thank you." She says `thank you' as if those simple words can make this whole experience better. I sighed inwardly as we walked down the hall. Maybe I fell asleep at my desk and this is all a bad dream…no…Inuyasha's not here so it can't be. There goes that possibility. "So…ah…how old are you?" Should I humor the wench?

"Three hundred ninety-six."

"Really? You look only about my age?"

"And how old would that be?"

"Twenty-seven."

"As one would think from an human with gray hair."

"I do not have gray hair! And what did you mean by human?" Is it all right if I kill the wench anyway? She's already a pain. And besides, Rin doesn't know her yet, so I wouldn't have to hear her cry.

"I am youkai."

"A…Youkai…but, youkai aren't real! They're only stories made up to scare little children into listening to their parents!" Is that what we've become in the future? We've become nothing but a myth to frighten children? Like the mighty phoenix or dragon for us? How can this be?

"Do you tell the truth? We've become nothing but legend?"

"Unless there are some hiding in disguise as humans, then yes. I've never met a youkai until now." I took in this little piece of information as we continued down the hall. Soon we came upon one of the many guest rooms.

"Here is your room. I will have Rin wake you in the morning for breakfast." I turned and began walking away when I felt a slight tug on my sleeve. It felt similar to when Rin wanted my attention. I turned back around and looked at the wench. "What?"

"I just wanted to say thank you and apologize." Apologize? Apologize for what? "I've acted so rude to you since I've come here and all you've asked in return is for my to tutor Rin. I will do my best and teach her all the knowledge I have. I will also try to keep my temper. You've been so patient and I'm sure you've wanted to rip my throat out a few times already." The wench knows me so well already. "Anyway, just, thanks." She smiled and entered her room.

Confusing. Just confusing. I turned and began walking back to my quarters. The only thing that bothers me about the wench though is what she said about the youkai. Is it really true that we are no longer living? That we're just a myth? I'll have to have Jaken look into this theory a little later. Right now all I want to do is get some sleep and deal with this whole mess in the morning.