InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ Mornings and Death Glares ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Three: Mornings and Death Glares

 

{Disclaimer: I've said it before, I do NOT own Inuyasha! What more do you people want from me?}

 

Authors note: I want to thank everyone now for reviewing. EvilNekoEatsYourSoul and arch_angel on Mediaminer; Lady of Jupiter and Deadly Tears on Fanfiction. I love you guys! You all rock! Anyway, I'll try my best to update once a week at least, Sundays most likely. Okay for a picture of Kagome's kimono go to http://www.philamuseum.org/education/images/kimono.gif cause it's a beautiful Kimono and if I tried to describe it I would destroy it. So just go there if you don't know what it looks like. Ja.

-Flame

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

I rolled over and basked in the warmth of the sun streaming in through an open window. I rather like these futons, I can't fall out of bed and wake up in the middle of the night only to lie there for hours on end until my alarm finally goes off and I have to get up and go to work of fear of losing my job among other things. I can tell it's well past dawn, maybe that youkai was just trying to scare me last night…either that or he let me sleep in because he's nice. Who knows?

I stretched keeping my eyes closed. It's kinda sad, it's nowhere close to noon and here I am half awake. I should be relishing this extra bit of sleep, but no I have to wake early nonetheless. What's wrong with me? Rolling over I sighed as I hear the door slide open. That has to be Rin. The youkai from last night said she would wake me in the morning. I pulled the blanket over my head and shut my eyes tighter. I don't wanna get up y-oof!

I sat straight up as my eyes flew open. I felt something tumble in between my legs but paid no heed to it. Here I thought falling out of bed woke you up nastily, try getting slammed in the stomach with something. I looked down between my legs and blinked in surprise. There sat a little girl, no older than eight I'd say, smiling up at me with a gap filled smile. She had the prettiest raven hair to her mid-back with a little piece sticking out on the side of her head, very stylish. She looked up at me with bright, excited, and enthusiastic milk chocolate eyes.

I couldn't help myself but smile in return as I spoke to the child in my lap. "Good morning. Are you Rin?"

"Hai! Sesshoumaru-sama told Rin to come up and wake sensei-sama for breakfast."

"I see…" Who is Sesshoumaru? Could it be that youkai from last night?

"What is pretty sensei-sama's name?"

"My name is Kagome."

"That's a pretty name sensei-sama!" Rin smiled brighter and lifted herself from the ground.

"Can you please call me Kagome?" I asked. I'm so use to people calling me Kagome and Ms. Higarashi I'm not use to the Japanese titles and such anymore. That's what I get for moving to America, but it's a good thing…I think.

"Hai, Kagome-sensei!" I can deal with that. It's not as formal. I rose from my futon and stretched.

"So how old are you Rin?"

"Rin is eight years old." Can I guess or can I guess? Working in Pediatrics must have given me a knack for guessing children's ages.

"So Rin." I begin to ask walking over to a large wardrobe thingie. All of the sudden I want to enter through it and see if there really is a portal to another world inside. Maybe I'll get back home. Yeah right…"What do you like to do in your spare time?" I opened the wardrobe and was a tad disappointed not to find a bunch of fur coats and a portal, but was glad I found a few kimonos to wear…then again they are kimonos…I'm gonna have to dress as a girl today. Depressing.

"Rin likes to go out and pick flowers in the garden. Jaken-sama doesn't like to though so Rin has to go in early a lot." Is it just me or is she talking in third person. That's gonna have ta go. Good grammar is always very important. Who's Jaken though?

"Who's Jaken?" I asked as I finished changing into the kimono. It was a flowering plum kimono like the one I had when my father died. It was one of the few female pieces of clothing I owned and he's the one who bought it for me. It wasn't all black, but he wanted to see me in it…

"Jaken-sama is Sesshoumaru-sama most loyal servant. He doesn't like Rin much."

"I like Rin." I said noticing the girl's smile fade a bit. Her smile came back full force as I walked over and gave her a hug. "Now let me brush my hair and teeth and we can go down to Sesshoumaru."

"Hai!" She smiled and waited for me to finish. I walked over to the vanity next to the wardrobe and began to brush out my raven locks. I can't believe that jerk said I had gray hair. I pull them out before they can show…okay, so I don't but Shippou thinks it's a funny joke. Ah, Shippou…I miss him already. He'd better not die while I'm away. I'd miss him too much. He's like the son I'll never have.

Walking into the bathroom behind a door on the right of the bed I brushed my teeth as best as I could with my finger and a piece of cloth. I'm gonna have to make a tooth brush soon…like today soon…like now soon…okay not now but pretty soon. I walked out of the bathroom and up to Rin. "Okay, lead the way." We smiled and she grabbed my hand and lead me out the door and into the hall.

"Rin thinks you'll like Sesshoumaru-sama. He's really nice. When Jaken-sama's mean to Rin around Sesshoumaru-sama, Sesshoumaru-sama squashes Jaken-sama." So the youkai's possessive…like a puppy dog! Omigod! I can call Sesshoumaru puppy-chan! "Kagome-sensei?" Rin questioned and looked up at me.

"Yes Rin?"

"Is Kagome-sensei mated?" Mated? Like married? I believe that's what she means…

"Ah, no Rin. I'm not `mated'. Why?"

"No reason." The child smiled and I couldn't help but get the feeling she was plotting something.

"What are you plotting?"

"Plotting? What does plotting mean?"

"Never mind." I sighed. It seams that Rin needs to brush up on vocabulary as well…then again how many eight year olds know what plotting means?

"We're here!" She perked up and opened a door and lead me inside. Once we crossed the threshold she dropped my hand and ran over to the youkai I met last night. "Sesshoumaru-sama!" She yelled as she glomped his leg. Yes, I said glomped. I don't care if it's not a real word, but there was no word for what she did. I swear if he wasn't a youkai I'd be worried about the blood cut off to his leg…then again, youkai have blood too…right? Maybe I should be worried. Sesshoumaru patted Rin's head and had a smile in his eyes as he looked down at her.

"How are you this morning Rin?"

"Rin is fine. And Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"Good, sit." I stayed standing as he and Rin sat down. He looked at me with his piercing golden eyes; an annoyed look was in them. "Do you not know how to sit?"

"I do, I just didn't want to take one of your seats." Smooth…why does this man fluster me so?

"Then do so." I sat as far from him and as close to Rin as I could. I liked Rin, but not that…that man. He's just so infuriating. At least he hasn't called me a wench since our little `discussion.' I smirked at the memory. It felt nice to be intimidating again; I should try it more often. I've grown too soft. "Are you deaf miko?"

Shaking my head I looked at the arrogant youkai to my right. "It's Kagome. Must we discuss this matter again? Now what is it you want?"

"After breakfast Rin will show you to the library and there you will teach her all you know."

"No, I'll teach her what I see fit to. If I teach her everything I know she'll be accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake."

"We don't burn witches here Kagome-sensei. That's just silly." Rin's cheerful voice rang through the room.

"Yeah, well tell that to all the poor men and women that have died in the name of science." I mumbled while reaching for my glass of juice and beginning to take a sip.

"What is science?" I choked on a mouthful of juice as the question was asked. I placed my glass down on the table and looked at the youkai again. Is that confusion in his eyes? Did he really have no clue what science was? Dear God I'm afraid to find out how advanced…or should I say primitive their medicine is.

"Ah…Science is…" How to put this in a way that he'll understand that won't make me sound crazy…"Is…is…kinda like magic!" Good Gome…now explain further…"You see science can do any number of things. Right now it's lighting a torch or finding the exact ingredients and measurements for medicine. Where I come from though it's as advanced as giant pieces of twisted metal transporting you from one place to another or other pieces of metal that can take pictures of your bones." That's not very hard to follow…right? Good Gome, here's a biscuit.

The youkai looked as if he ignored my explanation, but knowing the way the mind works, as I so wonderfully do with my hyper intelligence, he was probably processing all that I had said…awe, people listen to me…I feel special now. Oh so very, very special. Now where's my short bus? Did I ever mention I hate mornings? "So Rin can know things that others don't know?" The little girl looked up at me with bright excited eyes and I smiled.

"You could. But I'm not going to tell you the outcome of the future. That could disrupt the space-time continuum and end up changing the result of the future and the present we know today. Even the past could be effected. So, unfortunately I will not cover the subjects of history and science." Have I confused her enough? I don't think so…"But since all of that is irrelevant to anything we're going to cover today, just forget it." I smiled.

"Rin has already. Kagome-sensei said too many big words that Rin didn't know."

"Sorry Rin, you'll know then eventually." Rin smiled and I sat back in my chair.

"You haven't eaten, Kagome-sensei." I looked down at my untouched bowls of rice and miso soup. I looked across at Rin's empty bowls and shook my head.

"You may have them." I told her passing the bowls across the table.

"No, she may not." I looked over at his royal pain in the butt and sighed. I can feel a fight starting.

"And why not? She's a growing girl and needs her daily amount of protein."

"If she wants more, she knows to ask a servant to get some. You haven't even touched yours."

"So, I can live without food." For about three weeks…I shrugged, what did it matter anyway? If I eat now I'd make myself sick. I don't know why, but when I eat breakfast I feel sick.

"Don't be stupid. Eat."

"I don't eat breakfast. It makes me sick."

"Don't give me that. Eat."

"No."

"Do I have to bring a doctor in here to tell you that you need to eat breakfast every day?"

"Hello? Earth to Sesshoumaru. I am a doctor." I heard Rin gasp.

"Kagome-sensei's a doctor! Sesshoumaru-sama, can Rin be a doctor like Kagome-sensei?"

"If you wish to be." I answered for him. I felt Rin take hold of my hand as I stared down the cold youkai lord. I've not been here a whole day and already we're fighting. This is going to be interesting. Rin pulled me up from my chair and across the room. My eyes never left his once until the large oak door blocked them.

"This way Kagome-sensei!" Rin all but sang as she skipped down the hall. Closely I followed her, shaking my head every once in a while at her antics. Was I this hyper at her age? She stopped in front of a large cherry wood door and turned around to look at me. All the doors here are so large…is Sesshoumaru compensating for something? "Here we are!" Rin chirped and opened the door.

As I stepped inside I gasped. I've never seen so many books in my life. Not even Kana, who had two rooms full of novels from around the world, even came close to this. I think I just found my sanctuary. "What is Kagome-sensei going to teach Rin first?" I looked over at the girl and smiled.

"I'm going to teach you how to properly address yourself."