InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ Getting to know each other ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Five: Getting to know each other

 

{Disclaimer: I no own, you no sue. Thank you.}

 

Authors note: Thanks again for all the reviewsI love you all! Okay, not much else to say here. Okay, now review responses! Ja.

-Flame

 

wackoramaco87: Yes, this fic will have a happy ending…well, I like to think of it as one at least.

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

I sat in the middle of the floor surrounded by books. The lit candles flicked about as I turned page after page after page. I looked up from my reading and out the window. Dark clouds had begun to cover the full moon. I sighed and rubbed my temple. I can't take much more of this. I'm out of practice. I can't pull all night study sessions anymore.

I heard a faint growl and tensed even further. It's not like I'm not trying to fix this. I sighed again and glared at my pink companion. "Shut up. If you want me to find a counter spell quicker, shut up." He glared at me and I had to use every ounce of strength I had not to crack up laughing.

I'm sorry! It's just getting a death glare from something that looks like the equivalent of a fluffy pink bunny rabbit right now is hilarious! And it's all his fault too! He's the one who "accidentally" knocked over the pepper after all.

Shaking my head I returned to my book. Oh this tedious insufferable work! I yawned as I watched the words blur a bit as my eyes water. They tend to do that when I'm tired. "What is wrong?" I hear him ask. He must smell my "tears" and think I'm crying. Gods, can't he give me more credit than that? I didn't even cry when he was around!

"Nothing, I'm tired and my eyes water when they're tired." He is quiet after that and I return to reading my oh-so wondrous book. Tedious and Annoying!

"What is taking so long?" He demanded of me. He had a right to though. I mean we have been sitting here for at least six hours now.

"This Kanji isn't what I'm use to. It's an older form and I have to figure out some of the words by context." He nodded and stood up. What is he doing now? He reached down and took the book from my hands. "Hey!"

"I'll read it to you. It'll take less time this way. You should have mentioned it earlier." I reached out for the book with narrowed eyes.

"Give it back!" I yelled, standing up as he began walking away from me.

"Be sensible. It will be quicker if I just read it to you."

"I don't care! I want to do this myself!" Clenched my fists and glared at him. This-This man had no right keeping me from doing this. I refuse to be pushed around by the other half of the species anymore!

"I do care. I want to be back to normal now!"

"Well, what if I don't want to get you back to normal? What if I think you look cute like this?" I asked marching up to him. He took a few steps back toward the chair he was sitting in before, only to be replaced by my own steps.

"This!" He pointed to his hair and growling at me. "Is not cute!"

"Well maybe if some arrogant, self-centered, pig-headed, jerk of a man hadn't knocked over the pepper we wouldn't be in this mess!" I poked his forehead knocking him back into the seat and covered my mouth in astonishment.

"What is it now wench?" He growled. I'll ignore that comment for right now, the moment of discovery is now at hand.

"You're red." I turned my head away thinking then snapped it back looking into his eyes with a smile. "Red with anger!" Let me try something." I straddled his hips as I thought about him. I felt scared and sad all over again as I touched his forehead. Quickly the color changed into a dark purplish blue. I stood from his lap and looked down at him. "I've figured it out. You're just going to have to give me a second to prepare." He nodded and I walked over to my spot in the center of the floor.

I sat there cross-legged and closed my eyes. I purged all my thoughts of evil and began to meditate. If my hunch was right, I needed a pure mind to fix this. I reopened my eyes after what seemed like minutes and walked over to Sesshoumaru. I straddled his hips again and closed my eyes.

I touched his forehead with a feather light touch and opened my eyes. It worked! I stood up and began picking up all the books I had used. "You're fixed now, you can leave." I heard the movement of silk behind me and sighed. You know, he's not as bad as I thought he was. I bet if I got to know him we could even be friends. Who am I kidding? I can never be friends with a male. I've tried that before, and look what it got me. I reached down for another book only to grip something warm. I snapped out of my musings and looked down at the clawed hand beneath my own. "Sorry." I said and removed my hand quickly, as if I had touched fire. I placed it on another book and continued cleaning.

"So, you said you were a doctor, what did you do?" I looked up at his in confusion. Was he trying to get to know me?

"I worked in Pediatrics, on children. Why are you asking?"

"I thought it would be a good idea to get to know you since you're staying here for a while."

"You wouldn't be asking if Rin didn't like me, would you?" He paused in picking up the books and I smirked. "I thought so. Alright, once we're finished picking up we'll play a little game."

"This Sesshoumaru, does not play games." I laughed and smiled at him.

"Alright, it won't be a game then." Quickly we finished putting away the books and sat down across from each other. "Alright, here's how it works. You ask me a question, and I ask you a question. We have to answer truthfully and fully. Sound fair?" He nodded.

"You said you have no control over your powers, implying you've had training and quit. Why did you quit?"

"I moved. My Grandfather owns a shrine and was teaching me, but my father moved us all far away. When I started training again, I had to quit because I moved again. How did Rin come to be in your care?"

"I was patrolling my lands one day and found her huddled next to a bush in the snow. I created a fire and warmed her up; she was a person from my lands after all. She said bandits' had killed her family and she hand nowhere to go. So she began following me. I never had to stop and rest often because of her, so I let her stay with me. Now, what emotion did you have when you turned me pink?"

"Uh…I think it was contentment. What's with all the books? I've never seen so many in my life."

"They were my mother's. She loved to read. Why did you look like you were nearly going to cry at the name Senkako?" I stiffened again at the name and tried not to cry.

"It was my fathers' name. We were very close and he died when I was sixteen. I'm sorry I have to ask. What is on your shoulder?"

"It is my mother's pelt. I was very close with her. How did your father die?"

"This is a rather long story, so be warned. We moved from the shrine when I was fifteen and my father joined a band, a group of people who make music together. He taught me how to play the drum and I joined my schools marching band, a group of students you play instruments and march into different shapes while playing. My family would always be there to support me, and my father would always bring his band mates to see me perform. One day they weren't there.

"I preformed and when we went back up to sit down and watch the rest of the football game, a game where two teams of people play for points. I don't really understand it much, but anyway. When we sat down there was a policeman there. He told me that my family had been in an accident and where at the hospital. The policeman drove me to the hospital and the doctors told me that my little brother, Souta had died on the spot, my mother had died in the ambulance, and my father was in critical condition. They said they where doing everything they could to save him.

"I stayed at the hospital until the doctor cam back out and said I could see my father. I ran into his room and sat by his bedside. He smiled up at me and told me to be a strong and good girl and that he loved me. After that he died. I moved back to Japan and lived with my grandfather at the shrine. I began training again to be strong." I whipped a tear away from my eye and looked up at him. "I've never told that to anyone. What about your family?"

"My father cheated on my mother when I was eight, and I had to watch as my mother slowly died of a broken heart. As I said, I was really close to her and never forgave my father for breaking up our family. Soon after, he re-mated my stepmother, a human, and had another son, a hanyou. Soon after Inuyasha, my half-brother was born; my father went out patrolling the lands and was killed defending them. My stepmother slowly died of a broken heart like my mother had and I raised Inuyasha until he was old enough to be off on his own."

"So we're both orphans." I wrapped my arms around his strong shoulders and hugged him. "We can share the pain together." I let go of him and looked him in the eyes. "If you ever need to talk, my ears are always open. I mean it."

"Thank you. Get to bed, it's almost midnight." I nodded and followed him out the door. He led me to my room in silence. "Good night." He said and left. I opened my door and walked into my room. I leaned ageist the door and sighed.

I could tell everything was forced. The `Thank you' the `Good night' even being polite to me. It was all forced. He didn't like me much, but as I spoke I could feel him slowly warm up to me. We had things in common. I wasn't as much as a threat to him anymore. I sighed and changed back into my sweat pants and sports bra and laid down on my futon. I could feel it already as I turned my head to the door and wished it would open and he would come in.

I was breaking my promise to myself. I was beginning to fall in love.