InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ A New Friend ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Seven: A New Friend

{Disclaimer: I no own…so you can't sue me.}

Author's Note: Thanks for all who reviewed. I'm sorry the chapter was so short last time…I was being a procrastinator. As atonement, I'll make this chapter longer than the other chapters by at least two pages! Whoot! All must beware of Kodomo no Omocha volume 13! It makes you cry! Neways, review responses are below. And there's a bit of fluff in this chapter! Ja.

Sundragon: Sorry, I can't have Kagome kill her. Sad to say, but she's a major part of the whole plot.

Mistress Fluffy: Again, I'm sorry it was so short.

-Flame

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

I snorted as I kicked the dummy in front of me. That stupid jerk! He didn't even try to help me back there! I kicked the dummy harder as I thought of that woman. God, what an inane child! She acts as though she's at least fifteen years younger than I am. Is that what this generation is like now-a-days? Boy do I feel old now…Oh God! I sound like my grandfather!

I closed my eyes in frustration as I kicked again. I'm glad I changed into my sweat pants and sports bra. It made kicking a whole lot easier, even though it didn't help much. Instead of hitting the dummy, I missed and swung my leg around my body. I spun around in a tight circle until I came to an abrupt stop. My head still felt like it was swimming as I blinked my eyes rapidly to help focus them. I don't think it's working…in fact, I think it's worse now…

When my vision had finally cleared I saw a pair of worried eyes looking into my own dazed ones. The eyes though weren't the beautiful golden ones I have grown so fond of, but a pair of azure ones. Not only that, but the hair was all wrong too. It's not my lovely sliver strands that I so desperately want to run my fingers through, but a dark onyx color pulled into a ponytail tail on the back of its' head. It was that youkai from earlier, the one who implied that Sessh was gay. He must have stopped my spin; I wish I knew his name.

He smiled down at me as I blinked again. Why must everyone be taller than I am? Okay, Rin's not taller than I am, but she will be when she grows. Oh, oh I know, I know! Jaken's shorter than I am, so ha! "I don't believe we've been introduced." He said. "My name is Kouga, Prince of the Northern Lands."

"Kagome Higarashi." I smiled. "Doctor, teacher, linguist, and miko."

"You're a miko?" He blinked and let go of me as I had planed.

"Yes, but I'm not going to purify you. That woman on the other hand, I may."

"That reminds me of why I came here. I want to apologize for Saiyako's behavior earlier."

"It's not a problem. I've dealt with people like her before. Why is she so hung up on Sessh though?"

"She wishes to mate with him. She has fallen for his looks as many women before her. It wouldn't be so bad is she wasn't hanging on him all the time." I raised an eyebrow at the comment and sighed.

"Just tell her to stay away from me." I stated turning back round to face the dummy. I kicked it again and Kouga shook his head, or so I guessed from the rustle behind me.

"Try it this way." He put his hands on my hips and I blushed. "Start off at a shoulder with stance, and…" I felt his hands slide up to my waist. "…Try not to move your waist. Pivot from your hips." I blushed darker as I attempted to kick again, or I would have if the door hadn't opened at that moment and a fierce growl wasn't coming from the doorway. Kouga and I turned our heads just in time to see Sessh run at Kouga and pin him to the wall.

"Sessh! Omigod!" I yelled, as poor Kouga was chocking against the wall. I ran over to the two and tried to pull Sessh's arm off of Kouga but lost my grip and plummeted to the floor. Thank god this isn't cement; I'd have a cracked skull right about now if it were. "Sessh, get off him!" He growled in reply and I could see the anger rippling off his body. What had Kouga done to upset Sessh is such a way? I've never seen him like this.

"How dare you touch her wolf!?" He growled out. This was all because he touched me? I don't understand. Rin touches me, Jaken touches me, and so does he unless he thought…oh GOD! I don't even wanna think about that!

"Hi there Maru." Kouga chocked out. "What are you <ack> doing here?" Sessh's eyes narrowed as I stood back up. I slipped under his arms and looked into his murderous eyes.

"Sessh! Let. Him. Go!" His eyes narrowed into small slits.

"I will not let him go unpunished for touching you. Kouji's son or not."

"He was showing me ho-"

"I don't care." Now it was my turn to narrow my eyes as I pushed him away from Kouga and myself.

"What's you're problem!"

"He's my problem! He has no right to touch you!"

"Sesshoumaru! Who are you, my father? Who are you to say who can and cannot touch me?" I took Kouga's arms and wrapped them around my body. A loud threatening growl came from Sesshoumaru as I did so. "I have no problem with this. Kouga has done nothing to harm me in any way, and so I don't mind if he touches me. You have no right going around attacking anyone I try to make friends with." He was fuming now. I could feel him want to rip out my throat.

I removed Kouga's arms and walked past the two men. Now if you excuse me, I'm going for a run…alone I added hearing a shift of cloth to follow me. I don't know who it was, but I had a pretty good idea. Right now I want to be alone. I'll end up purifying one of them if I don't cool down. Marching out of the dojo I left the castle.

Yeah, so Sessh told me not to leave the castle walls, but I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself. Not only that but I'm so ticked off right now, I want to get as far away from this place as I can. Will Rin be worried once she finds I'm gone? Yes, probably, but I don't care one wit about that right now. I began climbing the castle walls as I fumed in my own little world where the pink and blue bunnies know me so well and jumped down. As my feet hit the ground I started off in a sprint.

I don't have any clue in the slightest where I was going and I couldn't care one bit. It was well past sunset but I didn't care either. I didn't care about the sting of the cold air on my bare, damp skin in the slightest. All I cared about at that moment was getting away. Just like back then.

I have to run as fast as I can, if I'm caught, he'll kill me. I repeated the same things to myself as I had back then when I was really running for my life. I know this time is different. I'm not in real danger. I can go back any time I want, not like I can in my time. If I ever return to Japan he'll kill me. I know he will. I slowed down to a jog and looked around.

I was surrounded by trees on all sides, not only that but I felt something else. It had a dark aura, almost like his now that I think about it, only it's weaker. I think now's a good time to be returning back. I turned around and began sprinting once again. Oh God, I can feel it still. It's following me…I closed my eyes and ran faster than I've ever run before.

As quickly as I could I climbed over the castle wall and jumped over. It was no use though. A second after I had, a giant creature landed before me. He had wings like a bat, a head like a lion, and a body of a bull. What ever this thing was, I didn't like it. I froze in fear as it stared at me with his beady red eyes. Red eyes…just like him…God he's everywhere! I can't get away from him! Calm down, creatures like this can smell your fear, can't they?

The creature ran at me, screeching in such an intensely high-pitched frequency, I could only stand there and cover my ears as he slashed at me. I could feel my life's blood seep from a cut on my chest, and still all I could do was cover my ears. Shaking my head I tried to run. My legs moved slowly and I fell to my knees. I was going to die…

I was told not to leave and I did; now I'm going to die all because of my stupidity. Tears ran down my cheeks as I sensed the creature come in for another blow. Great, my tears can run but my legs can't, this is just wonderful. Papa…Mama…Souta…I'm coming, wait for me. My body stiffened as I felt a rush of air pass me. This is it…

I flinched as a clawed hand touched my shoulder gently and I looked up. Sessh stood there with his emotionless mask on, but his eyes…his beautiful golden eyes were filled with worry and concern. "Kagome, are you alright?" He asked helping me stand.

I nodded and wrapped my arms around his neck as I sobbed into his chest. I thought I was going to die, I really had, and it disturbed me. All those times right after the accident and after he came into my life when I wanted to die, I finally understood how purely stupid I was. He was tense, as tense as I was; he stroked my hair and picked me up as a light rain began to fall.

He carried me into the house and into his medical room. Placing me on the bed he walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a large med-kit. I stayed silent and adverted my gaze as he began tending to my wounds. "You could have gotten yourself killed. Did you go outside the wall, even though I told you not too?" I nodded slightly as he shook his head. "There are reasons why I say you can't do something." I feel like a three-year-old who just disobeyed their parents. "Until I can get Naraku's forces out of my lands, you need to stay in here." My head shot up at that name and I paled.

"D-did you just say Naraku?" I asked in fear. He had to have said something else. I've just been caught up in the past that I just think he said that.

"Do you know something about Naraku, Kagome?" I knew it! I knew it! The universe hates me! That's why I'm stuck with him again!

"I have to go!" I yelled jumping down and trying to run out of the room. "I can't stay in this time. I have to get back!" Sesshoumaru grabbed me and put me back on the bed; looking deeply into my eyes.

"Kagome, nothing will hurt you while I'm here. Now tell me what you know of Naraku." Sucking up my fear I nodded and began to retell my past that not even Christine knows, and she was with me through my parents' death. She knows everything about me except for this.

"It all started when I moved back to Japan, after my family died. I changed everything about myself that reminded me of them. It still hurt too much to think of them. I dyed my hair, and still do so I can't see the red highlights I got from my father. I bought a pair of lens less glasses to hide my eyes that looked like my mothers, and I grew my hair so it was long, unlike everyone else in my family. I stopped playing my instruments and participating in after-school activities.

"I went to school and through life slowly and quietly. Then I met him. He was nice to me and treated me as though I had never changed. I began to smile and laugh again, like the person I use to be. We began to go out and I really did grow to like him, but then everything changed. He grew more possessive and more violent. By the time my graduation came I had been in the hospital twice in that month. The nurses knew me by name, age, and face by then. I had been planning to move away from him when he found out.

"He came over to my house and we got into a fight. Eventually he pinned me to the bed and…" I took a deep breath and willed the tears in my eyes not to fall. "…And he tried to…to rape me. I was able to push him off of me and ran into the kitchen. There I stabbed him when he charged at me again.

"I didn't hit anything vital, but I wish I had. The police came and took him away after a few more minutes. Since I was defending myself I got off and got out of there as fast as I could. I heard later that he was released and has been looking for me. If I ever go back, even if it's to see my grandfather, he'll kill me. I know he will. That man, his name…was Naraku." I lowered my head and felt warm tears run down my cheeks. I cursed myself for all my weakness and felt Sessh finish tending to my wound. "I never knew he was a youkai."

"Hanyou." He corrected me. "Naraku is a Hanyou, and a dead one at that." I heard him growl. I sniffled and nodded, I wish he would die. Sliding off the bed I tried to leave the room again. I had bothered Sessh enough with my rambling and past.

I felt a firm grip on my arm and I turned back and looked at him. "You're safe here. I won't let him get you." He pulled me close to him and wrapped his strong arms around my body and just held me. "I swear upon my life that I will protect you from him."

I relaxed in his arms and closed my eyes. This was the first time I've felt safe in a man's arms since that night. It was well worth the wait. I mean, back in the 21st century there are so many dangers and it's hard to find a person you feel safe with and trust. I'm glad I finally found mine. I looked up into his eyes and smiled. "Sessh? If I can't get back to my time, can I stay here?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way. I have pledged to protect you, and I shall do so." I nuzzled into his chest and sighed in contentment. I'm glad I can stay here. I don't think I'd be happy back in the 21st century any more.

"Now I understand. You're so paranoid, Maru." I turned around and looked at Kouga.

"Hey Kouga, what's up?"

"I smelt your blood and came to see how you were, but it seems I've interrupted something."

"No, you didn't interrupt anything." I stated trying to hide my blush his look was causing. Did he know something I didn't? I know something was going on and he did interrupt us, but it's not like he can't see me later tonight. "And I'm fine, thanks. I just let my stupidity get the best of me."

"I see, and that would have nothing to do with that odd youkai outside, would it." I shook my head and tried to hide my blush that had now worsened…it wasn't working.

"No, I have no clue what in the world you're talking about."

"Don't play stupid, Kagome." I heard Sessh say behind me. "We all know you're smarter than that." I felt his fingers scatter across my sides tickling me and began laughing uncontrollably. I can't help it! I'm ticklish! I always have been!

"Stop! Please…it tick…tickles…!"

"Do you really want me to stop?"

"Y…yes! C…can't…breath…" His torturous fingers stopped and I turned to face him and looked at him in awe. He was smiling! It was small, but it was there. "You know, you should smile more. You're really handsome when you do." I blushed and turned around realizing my mistake by saying it aloud. "T-that is when you're not being insufferable."

"Oh no!" Kouga exclaimed grabbing my hands and looking into my startled eyes. "You've turned into one of the zombies! Kagome, don't become another Saiyako on me!" I shook my head and laughed.

"Naw, I have more brains than a baboon."

"Are you saying my sister has the brains of a baboon?"

"No, baboons can at least learn sign language." We laughed and I turned back to Sessh. "Thank you for tending to me and listening to my story, you didn't have to but you did."

"I wanted to."

"I see." I smirked and leaned towards him never letting my eyes leave his. "I'll see you later tonight I guess."

"And what makes you think that?"

"Oh…just a feeling." I said in a songlike voice and press my finger against his forehead. Kouga burst into laughter and I twisted my face to keep from cracking up myself. "Ja." I snickered grabbing Kouga's hand and running out of there as fast as I could. Two seconds later I heard Sessh yell my name and felt him begin to chase us.

I jumped into a room and hid there with Kouga. I knew he'd find me easily; he was an inu youkai after all. "I can't believe you did that!" Kouga whispered loudly. "Just don't do that to me, got it?" I smiled and nodded.

"It's only fun to do it to Sessh anyways. Kinda like an inside joke, ya know?" We snickered as the door burst open and a very ticked off looking pink Sessh marched in.

"Kagome! Get out here now!"

"Hai, hai oh great lord of pink fluff!" I yelled standing from my hiding spot. He growled and walked over to me.

"Change me back!"

"Nah, I think you really are cute like that."

"This is not cute, Kagome! This is inhumane!"

"Fine, fine." I sighed and pressed my finger to his forehead again. "Spoiling all my fun." I pouted as he relaxed. "You really don't like pink, do you? How about a nice shade of blue?" Sessh chuckled and shook his head at me. Yes! I got him to chuckle! Power to me!

"And you say I'm the insufferable one." I laughed and looked over his shoulder towards the doorway.

"Oh dear…" I whispered and wrapped my arms around his strong body. "Don't look now, but Saiyako's watching." I whispered in his ear and rested my head on his shoulder as she marched in.

"You whore! What do you think you're doing to my Sesshoumaru?!"

"You're Sesshoumaru?" I asked looking Sessh in the eyes. "From what I recall it's me he proposed to." I leaned in a gently placed my lips upon his. It was a simple kiss, a chaste one that didn't last long, or at least not as long as I would like. I felt his warm thumb rub my cheek and I smiled. He has feelings for me. I can tell. Maybe I should give this love thing another chance. Not everything has to end in tragedy, right?"

"You bitch!" Saiyako yelled as I felt something hot sting my cheek. I flew to the ground and now wished I was in the dojo. I'm sure I just bruised my shoulder. Wincing as I sat up I looked as Sessh held Saiyako by the throat much as he did Kouga a while ago.

"Don't you ever and I mean ever touch Kagome again."

"That whore <ack> she's bewitched <ack> you!"

"No she hasn't. She's helped me see how inane people like you truly are."

"But Sesshoumaru <ack> I love you…"

"You love my looks, my power, my lands, the fear I strike in people's hearts. You do not love me. I never want to see you near Kagome or me again. Do you understand?" She nodded as best as she could with his hand at her throat and he dropped her unceremoniously onto the floor. He walked over to me and picked me up bridal style. "Are you okay Kagome?"

"It could be worse. It's nothing I can't live through."

"That's not what I asked." He said as he began walking out of the room and through the halls.

"Yes, I'm fine. As I said, it could be worse. I can walk and everything! It's great, you should really try it sometime…but I guess you already are, so I'll just shut up now." He shook his head and kept his eyes a head of us as he began walking up a flight of stairs.

"I'd rather not chance it. You might have hurt something and not know of it yet." True, that is a possibility. "I thought you told me not to get any ideas about going to far about our lie."

"Huh?" What's he…Oh! "Oh…you mean the kiss…well I just…I just thought she might have left you alone if she thought you were taken." I could feel my blush as he took a quick look at me in the corner of his eyes.

"I see." He put me on my feet and opened a door at the top of the steps and led me inside. I looked in awe as he sat me down next to him on the shingles. I was on the roof! Whoot! Go me! I haven't been on a roof since my brother hurt himself on the Fourth of July and my father took my up on the roof on the hospital to watch the fireworks. This was a much nicer though. It over looked the most beautiful sight I've ever seen.

The full moon shone brightly upon the lake that was no father than three miles from his castle. Trees of all shapes, sizes, and species surrounded it for a serine look. "It's beautiful…" I breathed as he wrapped my arms around me.

"This was my mother's and my secret spot. Whenever we were sad, angry, or just wanted to be alone, we'd come up here." I looked up at his eyes and wanted to cry. Such sadness and pain was reflected in them. I wanted to say something, but thought better about it. I mean, I don't like to talk about Papa, what makes me think that he'll want to talk about his mom?

"Thank you for sharing it with me." I smiled and snuggled into his warm body. I really do feel safe with him, and it's about time. I haven't felt safe in such a long time, it's an old feeling I can't remember very well. I closed my eyes and held close to this feeling as I slipped off into the first peaceful sleep I've had in years.