InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ The Gathering Day Two ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Ten: The Gathering, Day Two

 

{Disclaimer: Yes! I am a multi-millionaire and live in Japan! My name is Rumiko Takahshi and I own Inuyasha and related characters. No, I am not a multi-millionaire and I live in Georgia. That's hardly Japan. So please, I can't you people understand I don't own them? I also don't own the novel Dracula. Bram Stoker has the rights to that one.}

 

Author's note: Yes, the last chapter was pretty long. This and the next one probably will too. Thank you all for reading and everything. I really mean it. I check my hits on mediaminer before I go to school, and it really makes my day. I do have actual paragraphs from the novel in here, but they don't all go in order. So I guess this is a teaser for the book. I HIGHLY recommend it. It is one of my favorite stories and I think you'll like it very much. Anywho, enjoy. And there's a citrus warning for the end of the chapter.

-Flame

 

_-*~*=~*=~*-_

 

I sat in my chair in the ballroom trying not to kill my guests. Kagome had long since left the room with Rin to only Kami knows where, and here I've been surrounded by a mob of women. Some were still crying from last night. Others were chatting away and hanging all over me like I had never kissed Kagome the night before.

Why is it that I'm constantly surrounded by women I never want? Why can't Kagome be hanging all over me? Granted, I probably wouldn't like her much if she did, but still, why them? That's what makes Kagome different. She doesn't try to force herself on me. I can take as much time as I want with her…or as little as I want.

Okay! This is really starting to get old! It's been almost two hours now and these women won't let up. Am I going to have to beat some sense into them before they leave me alone? I haven't even been able to talk to Kagome yet. I was worried about her the way she left last night. I hope she's alright, if not I'll have to kill those meddling ladies. I growled as one of the women latch around my waist.

Please! All that is holy, save me! And wouldn't you know it, Kagome decides then to come back from where ever she was. She looked at me and raised an eyebrow. She knew what was going on. That I had no control over these insufferable women attached to me. I saw her smirk and walked back out of the room.

She did not just do that! I know she did not just see my plight and walk away! That's it…I'm dead…my only salvation has left me to die. I closed my eyes and sighed. Why does this have to happen to me? What have I done to deserve this? My eyes shot open as the Rin burst through the doors crying. War or no war, I knocked the women away as fast as I could to get to my daughter. "Rin what's wrong?" I ask as she rubs her teary eyes.

"K-Kagome-sensei…she…she…"

"Where?" She didn't have to finish. Something happened to Kagome and that's all I needed to know.

"The library…" Rin sniffled and ran towards Goro. I trusted him to take care of my daughter as I ran off towards the library. Could I have been wrong and Kagome really had thought I liked those women around me? Had she hurt herself? And she fallen and broken something? Had she sneezed and is now gone? That thought hurt the most. A million possibilities ran through my head, the next one always worse than the last.

I burst through the doors of the library and looked around the room. My heart rate slowed from it's quickened state as I saw Kagome leisurely reading in one of the large armchairs. She was wearing a long, ankle length sky blue skirt with a flowered bodice and that was it! Her cleavage and shoulders were showing and everything. I must have missed this when she popped in earlier. She has to be staying away because she knows I won't approve of other men seeing her this way. I'll ask her about this later. Right now there are more important things to discuss. "Kagome, what's wrong? What happened?" She looked up from her book and smiled.

"Nothing."

"Then why was Rin crying?"

"She was acting. We had to get you away from those insufferable creatures quickly didn't we?" Kagome, I could kiss you! I walked over and she stood up with a big smile on her face. "It was Rin's idea to stay with Goro so you could have some alone time." She kissed me on the cheek and began walking to the door.

"Where are you going?"

"To your study so I can read and you can have some alone time." I shook my head and pulled her back to me as we sat down in the chair she was just in.

"And who said I wanted some alone time? What if I'd rather have me and Kagome time?"

"Kagome and me time. I shouldn't have to teach you proper grammar." I laughed and pulled her into my lap as I sat in one of the large armchairs.

"So, what are you reading?"

"It's an older version of Dracula. I didn't know there was a form this old." I took the book from her hands and looked at the unfamiliar letters.

"You can read this?"

"Yes. It's only English after all. You can't read it?"

"No, my mother could, but I never got the chance to learn." She smiled at me and squirmed around and got comfortable in my lap. She flipped the beginning of the book and began reading to me.

"Chapter One

Jonathan Harker's Journal

(Kept in shorthand)

3 May. Bistritz.-Left Munich at 8:35 p. m., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late. Buda-Pesth seems a wonderful place, from the glimpse which I got of it from the train and the little I could walk through the streets. I feared to go very far from the station, as we had arrived late and would start as near the correct time as possible. The impression I had was that we were leaving the West and entering the East; the most western of splendid bridges over the Danube, which is here to noble width and depth, took us among the traditions of Turkish Rule."

Her voce was melodic as she spoke. She sounded as if she had been there, telling me all the details and feelings she had. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her tightly as she continued reading.

"In the population of Translyvania there are four distinct nationalities: Saxons in the South, and mixed with them the Wallachs, who are the Magyars in the West, and Szekelys in the East and North. I am going among the latter, who claim to be descended from Attila and the Huns. This may be so, for when the Magyars conquered the country in the eleventh century they found the Huns settled in it. I read that every known superstition in the world is gathered into the horseshoe of the Carpathians, as if it were the center of some sort of imaginative whirlpool; if so my stay may be very interesting. (Mem., I must ask the Count all about them.)"

I closed my eyes and just listened to Kagome as she read. I haven't felt this at peace since my mother use to read to me. Only I was the one sitting in her lap. She would read me all sorts of things. None of them were stories that normal children would hear, they were all novels from far away lands that only she could read. Now that I think about it, Kagome reminds me quite a bit of her.

They both are out going and stubborn beyond belief, extremely smart and strong willed. I think that if my mother could have met Kagome they would have been like best friends. Kagome would have immediately been adopted into our family. My mother was one of the few youkai that liked humans. She lived in other countries for many years before she met my father, which is how she learned how to read so many deferent languages. I wonder if Kagome would have liked my mother?

I don't know how long we stayed like this. I would guess at least for two to three hours. I could hear a bit of roughness in her voice as she continued to read. She needed some water, I could tell. I waited for her to take a breath and I interrupted . "Kagome, why don't we stop for a while. You're voice is beginning to hurt, I can tell."

"Just let me finish this chapter up, its a little more than half a page. This is one of the better parts."

"Alright."

"`It's all over,' Said Van Helsing. "She's dead!"

I took Arthur by the arm, and led him away to the drawing-room, where he sat down, and covered his face with his hands, sobbing in a way that nearly broke me down to see.

I went back to the room, and found Van Helsing looking at poor Lucy, and his face went sterner than ever. Some change had come over her body. Death had given back part of her beauty, for her brow and cheeks had recovered some of their flowing lines; even the lips had lost their deadly pallor. It was as if the blood, no longer needed for the workings of the heart, had gone to make the harshness of death a little rude as might be.

 

`We thought her dying whilst she slept,

And sleeping when she died.'

 

I stood beside Van Helsing, and said:--

`Ah, well, poor girl, there is peace fir her at last. It is the end!'

He turned to me, and said with grave solemnity:--

`Not so; alas! not so. It is only the beginning!'

When I asked him what he meant, he only shook his head and answered:--

`We can do nothing yet. Wait and see." Kagome closed the book and smiled at me. "So, how do you like it so far?"

"It's wonderful, but you left off in such a horrible place."

"I know, but you told me to stop there." She smiled and rested her head on my chest. "I'm glad you like it. I was reading it to Souta before the accident. It was quickly becoming his favorite story." I stroked her hair as turned around and buried her head into my chest. I could tell it pained her to talk about it sometimes. When she really thought about it and good memories resurfaced. I knew exactly what kind of pain she's in right now. "Why did they have to leave me? Am I really such a bad person that I can't have people who love me?"

"No Kagome, you're not a bad person at all." I lifted her head and forced her to look at me. "And you do have people who love you. Rin loves you, and Senkako has sisterly love for you. And…I love you." Her eyes widened at the statement and she wrapped her arms around my neck.

She lowered her head upon my shoulder and held me tightly. I held her waist tighter as the book fell from her hands to the floor with a thump. Neither of us cared at the moment, we only knew we finally found someone we could love, both of us. I knew she loved me. She was always so easy to read. "Promise you won't leave me." Kagome asked lifting her head to look into my eyes.

"I swear on my life that I will not leave you."

She smiled and gently placed her lips upon my own. I brushed my tongue against her lower lip begging to enter. She opened her mouth and I darted my tongue inside and explored, much as I had done before. I wanted to know her by heart. If I died now, I'd die happy…well, not really considering I just promised Kagome I'd never leave her. I pulled away and allowed her to catch her breath as a servant knocked on the door. Why is it that whenever Kagome and I start having a tender moment something always interrupts? "What is it?" I growled and glared at the door.

"Lunch is served, milord." I heard the servant quickly scamper away and I looked at Kagome.

"Are you hungry, my love?" She blushed at the comment and nodded. She never blushed before she met the Ladies of the Lands…hum…I wonder if they said anything to her…knowing them, I bet they did. Maybe I should kill them…

"Just a bit." She got off my lap and stretched. I think now is a good time to ask her about that dress she's wearing.

"Before we go though, what is it you're wearing?"

"Oh…well, Goro asked where I'm from and I told him England. So I'm wearing English clothes. I think they look rather nice."

"They're indecent."

"I figured you'd say that." She folded her arms across her chest. "Just think of it this way. I'm showing off what the other men can't touch. They'll be jealous of you." I liked this idea.

"And if another man touches you?"

"You can kill him, I don't care. Deliver whatever punishment you see fit." I liked this idea very much! I smirked and wrapped my arm around her slim waist. It really was slim too. With the bodice on I bet I could wrap both of my hands around her waist with no problem.

"You're too slim. You need to eat more." I was expecting her to argue and dismiss any such idea, that's not the reply I got though.

"I know, I haven't eaten enough in the past few years. I ate enough to survive, but not to have a nice figure. I look like a stick."

"Why wouldn't you eat properly?" I looked at her with worry. Not eating right could kill her, she's only human after all.

"I wanted to die back then. I don't anymore, but back then I did."

"You're not doing that anymore, are you?" I glared at her and she laughed.

"No I'm not." We entered the ballroom and I smirked at the hurt faces on the women who had flocked around me earlier. I led Kagome to her seat and pulled out her chair just as I had done when Kouji had first come. Only this time it was for real. We weren't pretending to be in love this time, we didn't need to.

Rin jumped up in Kagome's lap and began talking about all the things she had done with Goro. I knew I could trust him to take good care of Rin while I was gone. Kagome pleasantly thanked Goro for taking care of Rin and smiled. The other ladies of the lands came over and complemented Kagome on her dress, as long as they weren't men I was fine with it.

"Hello, Lady Kagome." Aiko smiled. "Are you alright?" I remembered the way Rin ran in crying and snickered to myself.

"Yes, I just had a quick fainting spell. I tend to have them since the accident."

"What accident?" Ayame asked concerned.

"The accident that killed my family. Now's not the time to be talking about such sad things though." She smiled and I shook my head. She had them convinced that she had a slight fainting spell.

"Well, I hope ya get better."

"That's right. We wouldn't want the future Lady of the Western Lands to be deathly ill now do we?" Saiya smirked.

"No, we wouldn't." The ladies gasped and looked at Kagome in shock.

"You mean you are actually going to mate with him?" Kagome looked at me and smiled. "If he ever asks me, then yes. I most defiantly will."

"But you can't!" Saiya yelled. "You're human! You don't deserve him at all, now my Saiyako…" The other two ladies turned around before I could say anything and yelled at her to shut up.

"Lady Kagome would balance the pup more than Saiyako ever could." I smirked and Kagome hid her face in her hands.

"That's right. And Sessho deserves ta choose who he mates. If he wants Kagome, then by Kami, let 'em have Kagome." Saiya started fuming at Ayame and Aiko's words and I put an arm around Kagome's shoulders.

"So true, not please leave us be." I glared at them and they bowed and left. For once I think I've finally got them to leave without nearly killing them.

"So, you're finally taking your responsibility seriously, I see." Kouji smiled at me from the far side of the table.

"I was always taking my responsibility seriously."

"Naw, ya hadn't chosen a mate ta help keep the lands in balance. That's why a Lord is forced ta take a mate weather he likes `em or not." Kana stated. I never thought of it that way. So Kagome will help keep my lands in balance? My mate's the one who keeps the elements stable in my lands? No wonder everyone was trying to get me to mate left and right. I was hurting my lands.

I felt Rin's small hand on my wrist and looked down at her. "Don't look so sad, Sesshoumaru-sama. Kagome-sensei will help you." I half smiled at the girl and patted her on the head.

"I'm sure she will." I said as lunch finally arrived. I kept an eye on Kagome to make sure she ate enough. I don't want her dying on me now. All through lunch Rin was asking Kagome if they could go outside and pick flowers in the garden when they finished. Kagome would always nod and Rin looked extremely pleased. And true to her word, once she finished eating, Kagome gave me a peck on the cheek and took Rin outside to pick flowers.

"She'll be good for you. I'm glad you've finally found someone." I looked at Goro and shrugged it off. "Well, shall we go and continue our meeting from yesterday?" He asked the other lords. We all nodded and begin filing out of the ballroom and into the library. This room seems to be the most popular in my whole castle…I should built another one. We all sat and waited for Goro to speak. "The next order of business, now that we have your mating out of the way Sesshoumaru, is the multiple outbreaks of wars between the humans.

Kagome spoke a bit about this to me. Not enough that I know what will happen, but enough that I know what's going on. "It's a civil war. The humans are tired of the rule they have on each other and have begun revolting."

"How do you know this?" Kouji asked wide-eyed. "I've tried to ask many people, but they refuse to tell me."

"I had Kagome ask them."

"That would make sense." Kana rubbed his chin and thought for a while.

"Okay, keep an eye on this and if it changes to a full out war against youkai we'll need to band together immediately." Goro spoke solemnly as he folded his arms over his chest. "Next we need to speak of this Shikon no Tama issue. The weaker youkai are swarming all over the village and have yet to get a hold of it. Sesshoumaru, your brother is still guarding the priestess there, correct?" I nodded.

"Why don't we move the priestess to a safer location? One that we all can look after and help protect her?" Kouji suggested.

"We have proposed that to her before, but she refuses to leave her family."

"Then all we can do is trust in Sessho's brother." Kana nodded.

"Next the Naraku issue. He's invaded our lands far too much. I for one am sick of it, what do you all say?"

"I want his nasty little' creatures outta my lands." Kana spat.

"I agree, it's not safe for my family to go out without a body guard now a days. I want Naraku out." Kouji sneered. And me? I want the hanyou dead for what he's done to Kagome.

"I want Naraku de---" Rin ran through the door out of breath and we all turned to her. "Rin, we're busy right now, I cannot be bothered."

"Kagome-sensei told me to come get all of you. Naraku's in the garden!" Everyone's eyes widened considerably and we all ran as fast as we could to the garden. My eyes bled red as I saw Naraku hold Kagome six feet off the ground by her throat.

"Now tell me where the Lords are!" Kagome spat on him as the other lords reached me. I was about to run in there a kill him when Goro held me back.

"Calm down pup." I growled and gained Naraku's attention. He smirked evilly at us and dropped Kagome to the ground with a thud. She began coughing and rubbing her throat. "Naraku, what is it you want?"

"I've come here to call a truce."

"What kind of truce?"

"You allow me in your lands and I will not attack you."

"Don't believe him!" Kagome yelled as she stood. "He's a liar and will say anything to get what he wants!"

"Shut up woman!" Naraku shot a tentacle at Kagome and held her hands out in front of her, purifying it on instant. Naraku's eyes narrowed and he growled. "It seems the miko knows me too well. I shall return another time." He smirked and jumped over the wall. Kagome fell to her knees and I ran over to her.

Damn those lords. How dare they not allow me to protect my Kagome. She could have been killed! I held her in my arms as she began to tremble. "Those eyes…the same eyes…" She whispered and I just held her close. She was having a flash back to that night, I could tell. I only prayed to Kami-sama she doesn't want to hurt herself again.

"It's alright. He's gone now. He won't touch you like that I again."

"Lady Kagome?" Goro's kind voice called near us. "Do you know something about Naraku?" I wanted to yell at him, snap at him, hurt him for daring to ask something that she was obviously upset about. He was the youkai elder though, and if I even tried something like that I would be killed.

"Yes, I lived in a village with him for a while." She lifted her head from my chest and looked at the ground. "He attacked me."

"How so?" She didn't say anything and I held her hand. "Kagome, I know it's hard, but we need to know this."

"He tried to kill and rape me. He's an evil man. He cares nothing for the lives of others. I once saw him pass by an orphan who had come up to ask for directions to the nearest shelter, and he beat him until he ran away crying. You can't form a truce with him. He will do nothing to uphold his part."

"Thank you Kagome. We will take your advice and fight against him. Why don't you lie down until dinner? You could use some rest."

"Alright." I helped Kagome up and she walked off inside. Naraku will die. I don't care how long it takes me, but I will kill him.

"Calm down, Sesshoumaru." I took a deep breath and relaxed. Goro's right. I need to relax before I can help Kagome. "We will finish our meeting tomorrow, now, I will see you all at dinner." We bowed as Goro left to find his mate most likely. I sat down in the garden as Rin came back out.

"Is Kagome-sensei okay?" She asked in a small voice. The other lords had left and Rin tugged on my pant leg.

"Hai, she's just a bit tired."

"I bet she is! You should have seen her fighting with Naraku before he got a hold of her neck! She was so cool!" I looked at Rin and blinked. Kagome was fighting Naraku before she sent Rin to get us? How much power does she have? I've never seen or even heard of a miko with as much power as she has. "Sesshoumaru-sama? Will you play hide-and-go-seek with me again?"

"I would love to Rin." I've got to do something to help keep my mind off of Kagome. I turned around and began counting as she ran and hid. We played this for Kami knows how long. I was glad when the servant came and announced that dinner was ready. Rin ran inside holding my finger and I saw Kagome at the table.

She was smiling and talking with Aiko like nothing had happened. She was so strong. I could sense that it wasn't bothering her at all. We sat down next to her and Aiko left. Hum…maybe I should have said something to them earlier…"Kagome-sensei! How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good." She smiled and I held her hand. She looked into my eyes with pure love and I knew she was fine. She was completely over what had happened earlier.

"You were so cool!" Rin exclaimed.

"Thank you Rin, I try to be able to protect my loved ones."

"You love me?" Rin looked simply ecstatic as Kagome nodded her head.

"I think of you as my own daughter."

"Can I call you kaasan then?"

"If you wish to." Rin hugged Kagome tightly and I smiled. I knew Rin liked Kagome, but I had never thought they would for such a bond in such a short time. Dinner came and we began eating. Kouga came over and pulled up a chair next to Kagome.

"So…I like your dress." I growled and Kagome patted my shoulder.

"Thank you Kouga, what do you want?"

"I'm hurt you would think that I would complement you just to gain something."

"You're not fooling anyone, now what do you want?" Kouga sighed.

"I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of things girls like to get as gifts." Kagome smirked.

"Ah…so you see some one who catches your eye." The young wolf blushed and hung his head. "Flowers and candies. Most girls like flowers and candies."

"Most girls? What do you mean by that?"

"If a girl is going around acting more like a guy, they wouldn't like flowers as much as the girly-girl ones. Candies are something all girls like…unless they're a transvestite."

"Transvestite?"

"Never mind, just give her a nice bouquet of flowers and a box of candies."

"Thanks Kagome!" He gave her a hug and I growled. Kagome looked and me and shook her head.

"Be nice or I'll turn you pink in front of everyone."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Oh wouldn't I?" She smirked and I wanted to laugh. She never smirked before we started talking more. She reached over to touch my forehead and Amarante grabbed her hand.

"Kagome! You just must teach us how to dance to this music!" Her two sisters walked up and nodded in agreement.

"Alright, I don't see why not." Kagome stood and pointed to me as the three pulled her out to the dance floor. "I'll deal with you later." Her threat fazed me not. Rin yawned next to me and I looked at her.

"Are you tired Rin?" She nodded and I smiled. She did stay up rather late last night, and got up early this morning. "Alright, lets get you to bed then." I picked her up and carried her up to her room. As I tucked her in she rubbed her eyes and yawned again.

"Can you tell me a bedtime story before I go to sleep?"

"I'm not very good at telling stories."

"That's okay. All anyone can ask for is for your best." Wow…that's a very Kagome like statement. Rin's been spending a little too much time with her I think.

"Alright then. Once upon a time there lived a beautiful Princess named…"

"Kagome!" The child piped up.

"Named Kagome. She was the loveliest in the land with the most beautiful raven hair and gray-blue eyes. Now there was an old witch that was very jealous of princess Kagome's beauty. Her name was…"

"Saiyako!" Rin interrupted again.

"Named Saiyako. Now Saiyako put a spell on Princess Kagome that put her to sleep until her true love came with love's first kiss. Many people came to try to awaken the Princess but none succeeded. Soon a passing prince came by and heard of the sleeping beauty and tried his best."

"And what was his name?"

"What would you wish it to be?"

"Sesshoumaru." I smiled as I caught what the girl was implying. She was just as bad as the others.

"Well, Prince Sesshoumaru came by and tried to find the Princess. The old witch had seen him coming though, and placed a spell upon the path to the princess. Giant thorns grew and blocked his path." I looked down and smiled as I noticed Rin was already asleep. I kneeled down and tucked her blankets tightly around her. I stood and look down at her with a loving gaze.

"So what happened next?" I turned around and saw Kagome leaning against the doorframe with a smile on her face.

"Well," I said walking up to her and encircling my arms around her waist. "Prince Sesshoumaru hacked through the thorns and rescued the Princess."

"How?"

"With a kiss."

"A kiss?" She asked cocking her head to the side.

"Yes, a kiss." I bend down and take her lips with mine. This time I will not let us be interrupted. I picked my lively Princess up and carried her to my room. I opened the door and laid her down on the bed. We broke the kiss and looked into each other's eyes passionately.

"This is where it all started." I nodded and brushed my hand against her smooth cheek.

"I love you Kagome."

"And I love you Sessh." I smiled and took her lips again. I tasted her again as she looked me in the eyes with such seriousness. "Tell me, if I gave you all I had, would you trample all over it?"

"Never." I looked deeply into her eyes. "Kagome, will you become my mate?"

"I would love to." She smiled and I kissed her again. Only this time my hand wondered to her bodice and began to untie the bow that held it tightly upon her body.

"Are you sure about this?" I ask resting my hand on her breast. I don't want to hurt her the way he had hurt her.

"I'm sure. I want you to be my first, only, and last." She pulled me into a soul-searing kiss and ran her tongue over my fangs. That was all I needed before I took matters into my own hands and finished undressing her.