InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ Fulfillment ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Twenty-seven: Fulfillment

 

{Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and never will.}

 

Authors Note: Okay, the rest of this is going to be posted all together. The reason being if I don't I knew at least a few of you would start to stone me…a few of you already have, which only supports my decision. Besides, I've been evil enough to you all. Oh! Fyi, a satellite phone is a little larger than a cell phone and it serves the same purpose as one, only it is connected to satellites instead of cell phone towers so you never loose your signal. They're a little more expensive than cell phones from what I hear. Review Responses below. Ja.

 

waterdragonmaster: I'm sorry if you felt it was ridiculous, but I have not lost it. I do have a plot and I write what makes that plot. If you don't like the story you don't have to read it.

 

inuyasha1990: No, that wasn't the end.

 

kikitravel: No that's not the end…I guess there's a ray of hope at the end, depending on your idea of a ray of hope.

 

StarDust1219: Okay, I agree the last part was a bit confusing. Here's what happened. When Kagome when back in time, her past became the future. She knew a lot of people in her past that she met again when she went back in time. Many of the things that happened in her past had become more clear to her as time went on. When she was a doctor she had a patient named Shippou, and he ended up to be her and Sessh's son. Through him she found out that his mom and dad died. When she realized he was her son she found out when she was going to die along with Sessh. More clear? If not e-mail me (Mightydragonflam@aol.com) and I'll try to help more.

 

-Flame

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

I starched as I finished packing. It had been a long month and I was anxious to get back to my mate. When we first moved to America I started a business under the name Taishou. It has become our family name through the generations and that business is now one of the leading companies in America.

The company is appropriately called Western Corp. We specialize in military, medicine, education, and archeology. The other Lords have started similar companies around the world and we team up together for resources. We still hold a gathering every year, but it's only the four of us who get together.

The gatherings in the past were a social event that everyone knew about. Now that youkai are in hiding we try to make the gatherings as discrete as possible. That's why every youkai has a cloaking spell to hide our true forms. I clicked my suite case closed and pulled on my suite jacket.

I was on my way back from one of those gatherings as a matter of fact. They've become longer than they use to. It's harder, believe it or not, to stay in contact with one in other. That's mainly because we're not as close geographically anymore. Even though there's e-mail, we would rather meet in person.

I walked out of the hotel and into a limo waiting for me. It was going to take me to the airport so I could get home. I laughed to myself at the memories the though brought up. I'll never forget when Kagome and myself went house hunting for our new residence.

Kagome refused to get a large house again. Which is understandable. Even back in Sengoku Jidai she would get lost in some places. She wanted a modest sized house for once. We finally agreed upon a three floor, two full and two half-bathroom house. It was smaller than what I would have liked and it was a bit larger than what Kagome would have liked, so we bought it.

The limo started driving off and I thought of more serious issues of the gathering. Ever since Saiyako placed that curse on Kagome she's disappeared. It would seam that Naraku hid her so we couldn't find her, which I must say was rather intelligent on his part. All of the lords want Saiyako dead, Kouji, sadly, as well. He may be the girl's father but he believes' that what she did to Kagome was inexcusable.

I leaned against the leather seats and flipped open my satellite phone. I dialed my home number and smiled as my three-year-olds voice answered. "Hello?" His diction was clear and precise, not something you would expect from a three-year-old, but what can I say, he's my son.

"Hey little man."

"Daddy!" Excitement filled his voice and I could almost see the sparkle in his emerald eyes. "When are you coming home?"

"I'm on my way to the airport now."

"What'd ya get me?" I shook my head and chuckled a bit. Only a child of Kagome's would ask that so soon.

"You'll have to wait until I get home to find out."

"That's not fair. I hope it's chocolate!"

"It's not chocolate, but I'm sure if you ask you mother nicely she'll get you some."

"Okay! Where are you now?"

"Still on my way to the airport." Through the years I've learned how to be more patient. Especially when Aelan, our daughter, started courting. I was not ready for that. Even now I wouldn't be ready for it. Though I must say, her choice in a mate was acceptable. His name was Hojo Takashi and he was a very nice young man. Kagome said she had known him from her high school years in Japan and that he would treat Aelan the way she deserved to be treated.

"Can't you get here faster? I miss you."

"Who are you talking to?" I heard Kagome's voice quietly in the background ask. I felt my eyes light up at the sound of her voice.

"Daddy." Shippou said away from the phone.

"Oh, well tell him to call back later. No one's home." I heard Shippou laugh and relay the message to me.

"Put you mother on the phone please."

"He wants to talk to you." I heard the phone switch over and Kagome's voice chimed in my ear.

"We didn't order anything."

"Really? Then I suppose I'll have to return your souvenir."

"That's fine. I'd rather have you than any souvenir." I licked my lips and closed my eyes. How I missed her.

"That would be acceptable. How have you been?" I heard her pause a bit and got worried. Kagome never paused in answering something unless she was thinking of a way to hide some of it or worm her way around it completely. "Kagome…"

"Yes?"

"How have you been?"

"Eah."

"'Eah'? And what pray tell does `eah' mean?" See what I mean? How does `eah' describe how someone's feeling?

"You know, just, eah." I narrowed my eyes even though she wouldn't be able to see it.

"Kagome. This is a serious matter."

"I know." She whispered. "I just keep hoping it'll all go away."

"I understand that. I hope that as well, but we have to deal with this as it comes. Now tell me how you're feeling."

"I feel okay. It hurts a little more than usual, but nothing I can't handle. Only…"

"Only what?"

"Aelan came over the other day. She says that some woman and a man came in asking about me. You know, wanting to know where I lived." Aelan works at a retail establishment so she would know the address of many people. The fact that these people were looking for Kagome put me en garde. "She described the people to me."

"And?" I asked after she paused.

"The description sounds like Naraku and Saiyako." I stiffened. If those two were looking for Kagome something horrible was going to happen.

"Stay in the house until I get there."

"You think I haven't already done that? Toshi's here to answer the door." Good girl. I would pat her head if she were next to me.

"Good. I will be there as soon as I can."

"On a lighter note, Inuyasha's coming for a visit."

"How is that a lighter note?"

"Be nice."

"I was." I heard her sigh and smiled. "The airport's coming up, so I'll see you soon."

"Alright, let me put Shippou on to say goodbye. I love you."

"And I you." The phone switched over again and Shippou's voice replaced Kagome's.

"Are you at the airport yet?"

"I see it right in front of me. I should be home soon."

"Good, `cause I haven't told mommy yet, but there are two people standing outside and they have a bad feel to them." I tensed. Could they be there already?

"Shippou, I want you to take everyone and go into the basement, alright."

"Alright. Is something bad gonna happen, daddy?"

"It may."

"Will you be here to protect us?"

"I'm gonna try my hardest to."

"Kay. I love you."
"I love you too son, now get down there."

"Hai!" The line went dead and I hung up just as the limo parked. I jumped out of the car and grabbed my suitcase. With that, I ran towards the building. I dropped my luggage off and waited in line to board the plane.

The flight took forever. Two hours. Two freaking hours I had to wait in line and on the plane before it took off. The flight itself was five hours and I had to trample a few people to get to my luggage once I was off the metal contraption.

Then I had to wait an extra ten minutes before a cab came to pick me up. Every time I tried to get into one some old lady, snobby woman, or businessman took it from me. It's true what they say about Murphy's Law. Today is a perfect example of that.

I told the taxi driver my address once I finally got my own cab and told him I would double the fare if he would get there in less than thirty minutes. This was no easy feet, considering my house is at least an hour away from the airport. Which is why it surprised me so much when he was able to do it. I tripled the fare as I grabbed my suitcase and pulled my keys out of my pocket.

I ran to the door and positioned my key in front of the lock and when I moved it forward to enter the keyhole, the door creaked open. I paled and entered slowly.

I placed my suitcase down quietly and walked toward the basement. If people were here I didn't want them to hear me. In the basement it sounds like elephants on parade when people walk around up here.

I slunk down the stairs as quietly as I could and looked around while I was still on the carpeted staircase. I could smell blood and I didn't like it. I very rarely enter the basement, so I didn't know where every place someone could hide was. Sure I looked around before I bought the house, but this was Kagome's work area, Kami knows what she's done with the place. I didn't want to just run in flashing weapons and killing things. I needed to calmly assess the situation and figure out what was going on first. Then the heads can fly.

Thankfully all the doors were opened so all I had to do was look in the doorway. There was nothing in the laundry room, bathroom, or closet in the hall area, but when I looked into the basement room itself I felt my blood run cold.

Toshi was holding Shippou inside a pink barrier. Shippou's eyes were pressed against Toshi's chest like he was stopping him from seeing something. Toshi himself was pale and his eyes were widened in horror. I crept down the last of the stairs and more was reviled.

Naraku was standing in the corner of the room and he looked rather interested in whatever was going on in front of him. Creeping a bit more so I was almost in the doorway I saw what Naraku was so interested in and tensed.

Saiyako and Kagome were fighting in the other corner of the room. Kagome had a skinning knife in her hands and Saiyako had grown her nails into claws. Each of them had cuts and gashes adorning their flesh. They were covered in blood, their own and the others. The two of them stood their ground and panted heavily. How long had they been at this?

"Surrender?" Saiyako asked whipping blood from her nose.

"No, you?" Saiyako replied with a charge and Kagome moved out of the way. "I'll take that as a no." She raised the knife as Saiyako charged again. It was at that moment I entered the room. Saiyako froze mere inches from Kagome and looked at me.

"Maru-sama…" She breathed and Kagome took that time to plunge the knife into Saiyako's chest and into her heart. Saiyako screamed and threw Kagome against the wall closest to Naraku. I started to run towards her and I felt a strong grip in my ankle. I looked down at Saiyako with the knife protruding from her chest cavity and narrowed my eyes.

"P-please…s-s-stay w-w-with…m-me…" I shook my head and kicked the knife deeper into her heart. She screamed again and blood began to pour from her mouth. Her scream turned into a gurgle as her blood pooled in the open cavity of her mouth. I felt no sympathy for the woman as I watched her die.

Another scream sounded behind me and I turned to see Naraku standing over Kagome. I rushed over and he jumped away with his hand covered in blood. "You killed my mate, I killed yours, it's only fair." I growled and I felt my eyes bleed red as Naraku laughed and miasma began to fill the room. "Our fight shall come soon, do not worry." The miasma covered his body and when it vanished like all those years ago he was gone. All that was left in the room were my two sons, Kagome, and Saiyako's dead body.

I kneeled next to Kagome and pulled her into my lap. They say not to move the injured, but there was no saving her. I hated to admit it, but it was true. I placed one hand behind her shoulders and the other over the massive hole in her stomach that Naraku had created when he plunged his fist into her body. She smiled up at me and I knew then she knew she was going to die as well.

After all these years battling the curse, Naraku, Saiyako, and my arrogance I'm still going to loose her. I moved my hand up her body and caressed her cheek. That's when a thought struck me. "The Shikon no Tama. Couldn't it…" She shook her head before I could finish.

"Aelan and I…we sealed it away…where no one…can reach it." She winced as she spoke and I started running my fingers through her hair. I didn't want her to go. We've been together for so long I've forgotten what it was like without her. Even the sixteen years we spent apart was nothing compared to the five hundred years we had just shared.

"I don't want you to go."

"We'll meet again…I know we will." A tear rolled down her cheek and I felt the same hot liquid prickle at the backs of my own eyes. "I…love you."

"I love you too, Kagome." I leaned down and kissed her. As I pulled back I looked down at the angel in my arms. Even covered in blood and dying she's still the most beautiful sight I've ever beheld.

"Send the kids…my love."

"Of course."

"See you…on the…other side." She smiled one last time and I watched her eyes close and her body go limp in my arms.

It was then I knew I would never see that smile or hear that voice ever again, and I was going to miss it more than anything.