InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ Final Force ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Twenty-eight: Final Force

 

{Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha no matter how much I wish I could I will never happen. ::sigh::}

 

Authors Note: ::Is still crying from the last chapter:: Just a quick note. A lot of people have yelled at me for the whole curse thing. It was nothing but a plot device to you all would think she would die from that and not by Naraku's hand. It worked, but no one just left it at that. Yes it was cruel, yes it was stupid, but I thought it was lead people away from the true way she died. So forgive me if you despised it so much you can't see past the insignificance of it in relation to everything else. Enjoy the last chapter before the epilogue, ja.

 

-Flame

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

"Ne, Sessh?" Kagome looked over at me and I smiled. "What do you think it'll be like when we get to my time?"

"I think it'll be just as you remember it, only I'll be there beside you." She smiled at that and rested her head against my shoulder.

"I want a kitten when we get there."

"A kitten?"

"Yeah…"

"And you don't think this will cause a problem?"

"Nope. You're a good puppy." I snorted at the comment and ran my fingers through her hair.

"We're not getting a kitten."

"You're insufferable. It's not like the kitten's gonna take your place in my heart."

"It doesn't matter. No nekos." She sighed and looked at me.

"Then can I have a puppy?" My eyes snapped open and I looked around my empty bedroom. I wish now that I had gotten her a kitten. I ran my fingers through my sweat damped hair and sighed.

It's been a year since Kagome left us. It seams longer and it makes me wonder how long eternity is truly going to take. To live for thousands more years with out her seams rather pointless.

I pulled the blankets off my body and got out of bed. I needed some water. I opened my bedroom door and walked down the stairs to the kitchen. I was pouring myself a glass of water when I heard little footsteps upstairs. I looked up and watched as Shippou walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Hey little man, you should be in bed."

"I couldn't sleep."

"Did you try counting sheep?"

"Yes, and it didn't help. I lost count after a few million." Only our son could be able to cunt past a million at the age of four. "Can you make me some warm milk?"

"Sure. But you have to go to bed right after that." He nodded and sat on one of the counter stools as I got out a pot and milk.

"I will. When mommy would make it for me I was always able to sleep." There was an awkward silence before he spoke again. "I miss mommy."

"We both do." I said and stirred the milk in the pot. "We both do." I finished heating his milk and poured it into a cup. He walked over and picked the cup up as I started rinsing the pot. I watched him drink the milk and yawn once he had finished. I smiled and picked him up. "Alright, time for bed, you." I walked up the stairs with him and into his room. I flipped the light switch with my shoulder and laid him in bed.

"Good night, daddy."

"Good night, little man." I turned to walk out of the room, but stopped when I saw a picture on his bedside table. It was a picture of our family two years ago. I looked at Kagome and smiled sadly. I walked across the carpet and turned off his light before I headed to my own room.

I flopped on my bed and turned on my bedside light. There was no way I'd be able to get back to sleep. I looked at the clock and sighed. It was only midnight and there was a lot of darkness left in the world before the sun would come and chase the shadows away.

I picked up my laptop from under the bed and started it up. If I wasn't going to sleep the least I could do was continue my search. I had every youkai, youni, and oni in the world helping me look for Naraku. I clicked the icon for AOL and waited for my e-mail to pop up. I opened my in box and smiled.

I opened the first e-mail, which was from Toshi. He just wanted to know how I was and let me know he was coming for a visit. The second was from Aelan who said she too was coming to visit. That's when I realized that the anniversary of Kagome's death was in three days. I'll have to go and visit her grave before then. I don't wish for others to be around when I visit.

The next e-mail caused me to smile wickedly as I read. Some random youkai had e-mailed me saying it heard a rumor that Naraku was heading toward me. That our fight was finally going to take place. That thought allowed my body to rest. If I was going to have a fight soon I would want to be well rested for it, now wouldn't I?

I put my laptop away and turned off the light. My smirk was still on my face when I snuggled under the covers and fell into a dreamless sleep.

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

I was almost finished pulling my hair into a ponytail at the base of my neck as the doorbell rang. I walked down the stairs still looping the elastic band around my hair as Shippou bounced in front of the door chanting `visitor, visitor.' I reached for the door now that my hair was firmly in place and opened it to reveal Toshi and Aelan. "Hey dad." Toshi said as he stepped inside the house.

I shook my head as Shippou latched himself to Toshi. "Oniisan! Oniisan! I wanna show you my new game!" Aelan laughed as he dragged Toshi off to suffer the same fate I had last week. Maybe I should have never bought him Shining Soul 2 after all. Aelan turned to look at me and I winced at the sadness in her eyes. I hate it when any of my children are sad.

"What's wrong?"

"How has he been since…?" She trailed off and I knew what she meant.

"His been pretty well, but he has him moments." She nodded and we walked into the living room to talk.

"I was hoping he would be taking it better than Toshi has been." I winced at the thought. Kagome and Toshi were always very close. The time she spent with him while we were separated created such a bond between them. I'll never forget his reaction right after she died.

He was strong and acted like it didn't hurt as much as it did for Shippou's sake. Once the little boy was in bed he had broke down and cried for hours. He punched at the walls until his fists bled and all I could do was try the calm him to no avail. Even now you can see that something in him died that day with Kagome. Some of the light that had once been in his eyes was gone.

"He's taken it better. Toshi took it the hardest out of you three."

"And what about you?"

"That is my own business." I stood up and walked over to the door. "Watch Shippou while I'm gone." I didn't even look back to see if she heard me before I left the house. How does she think I took Kagome's death? Horribly, it was my fault after all. If only I had been there to protect her. I failed her yet again.

I sighed as I unlocked my car and hopped in. Without hesitation I drove out of my driveway and started off towards the cemetery. Traffic was relatively light as I made my way towards the dismal district. Once I was able to see the high gates before me, a light rain began and I sighed. A perfect time for rain, if I do say so myself. Depressing weather for a depressing visit.

I parked the car and got out to make my way up the hill. Kagome's tombstone peeked from over the hill and a sad smile graced my features. Kagome's tombstone was a large angel looking heavenwards and the inscription, "Anyone can change the past. All you need to do is sneeze." was at the base of the angel's feet. It made me smile when I though about it and looked down at her nameplate. `Kagome Taishou. Beloved wife, mother, and friend.'

I sighed again as I looked at the flowers on the grave. "I'm sorry." I said. I could care less if people could hear me. Let them think I'm crazy, I know Kagome can hear my words. "I should have been there." It's true. I was her mate. It was my job to protect her. I'll never be able to forgive myself for not being there.

I kneeled next to the angel and rested my hand on her grave marker. "How I wish I could have changed that day. If only I had been there sooner…but that look you had in your eyes at that time…it's almost as if you knew this would happen. Like you knew you didn't have much time left and you had already accepted death.

"I know you hid things from me when you were telling me about how crazy your life turned out to be. How many people you knew from your past were really your friends and you didn't even know it until now. We were meant to be together, no matter how much you thought you disrupted the space-time-continuum." I laughed at that, thinking of all the discussions we had on whether she was really suppose to be with me or not. That all changed once we got to her time.

"When will we see each other again? I wish it to be soon, but I refuse to leave Shippou in this world alone. I know you'd never forgive me if that were to happen." I smiled sadly as in image of her smacking me upside the head with an annoyed, yet amused look on her face. "I miss your expressions and reactions the most. I've never met anyone else who reacted the way you would. And your expression were purely your own." I sighed again and stood.

"I hope you're resting well."

"You can always go and ask her." I turned as the sinister voice reached my sensitive ears and my eyes began to bleed red. Naraku stood right behind me and I didn't even sense his presence until now.

"Naraku. What are you doing here?" I was barely controlling the rage I was feeling. I could not risk running blindly into a fight with this creature. That would be a fatal mistake.

"I told you our fight would come soon, did I not?"

"So our fight has come at last." I smirked and dropped my cloaking spell. I extended my claws and relished in the sound of my knuckles cracking from their long under use.

"Prepare yourself Western Lord." He smirked and ran at me. I moved out of the way and smirked. Did he really think I was so stupid to allow him to run right into me? I'm not Inuyasha. I turned and summoned my youki whip in my hand and began thrashing it at him. He was able to dodge a few times and get closer, but then I spun and the whip encircled me and slashed through his flesh a few times.

I stopped before I made myself dizzy and sent my whip away. This would be a lot easier if I had Toukijin, but no, Kagome didn't like me carrying my sword everywhere. I suppose she had a good reason. It would look a little more than odd to be carrying around a sword in this time, let alone illegal.

I kept my eyes on Naraku and watched him smirk. Suddenly I felt a pinch in my back and then my chest. I moved my eyes from Naraku to my own body and saw one of his tentacles impaling me through the chest. How could I have forgotten he had those.

I winced as he pulled it out and readied my claws as he sent a large group of them after me. I turned, pivoted, sliced, and dodged the tentacles as they came at me. I watched as one tentacle jerked back as I sliced it and hit the angel on Kagome's grave.

The angel cracked and broke into two and I saw red. I couldn't control it anymore. All the things this creature had done to Kagome before she had met me and even after that. He killed her and now he defiles her grave, I don't think so. I growled as I transformed into my true form. I watched as the world grew smaller and lower as I grew and turned my gaze to Naraku.

I could feel the noxious acid leak from my mouth as I walked over to the hanyou. He looked frightened and he should have been. Once a youkai transforms into their true form, your end is near. He sent his tentacles shooting at me, and I didn't even bother to dodge them.

I felt a multitude of pinpricks on my body and ignored the searing pain that ensued. I walked closer to Naraku and his fear assaulted my nose and I growled. I nudged him with my paw and he went flying. Before he could smash into a tombstone and defile someone else's loved one, I grabbed him between my teeth.

He released enough miasma to kill a small group of youkai in my mouth, but it was too late. I bit down and relished in his screams of pain as I repeatedly bit into him. Then I swallowed. It may not have been the smartest idea I've ever had, but police now-a-days are so touchy when it comes to finding random mutilated bodies everywhere.

I relaxed and transformed back into my humanoid form and replaced the cloaked spell. I stumbled down the hill toward my car. My body was in so much pain it was numb. I couldn't feel anything. I was covered in blood and my clothes were in tattered ruins.

I got to my can and sat down. I pulled down the sun visor and opened the flap to look at my reflection in mirror. I was a greenish-gray color and I leaned against the seat. Just my luck. I've been run through by tentacles and poisoned. I guess on the plus side Naraku is finally dead. I sighed and slumped into the seat next to me. I was so tired…I think I'll just take a nap before I return home.

I felt my body relax and a soft white light a appear before me. There was something in the light; I couldn't tell what it was…it looked almost like a person to me. The figure was getting closer and I figured out it really was a person, a person in a flowing white dress with a familiar smile.

I had to blink at the person a few time before I was sure of how it was. "K-Kagome…?" She nodded and took my hand.

"I've missed you."

"I can't be dead…Shippou-"

"Will be properly looked after and will soon be joining us."

"You knew this all long, didn't you?"

"Not the how…but basically, yeah." She nodded and I sighed.

"I've missed you too." I kissed her and together we walked into the bright light to await our son.