InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Thinking of You ❯ Thinking of You ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thinking of You

"Please don't go. It will be really dangerous." She said scared. He hugged her tighter.

"I have to go. I don't have a choice. I'll be fine." He told her. She pulled back from his chest to look in his face.

"You don't know that!" She protested. "Just promise me you will come back to me." He smiled down at her.

"I promise." He said, hugging her tight one last time.

"Inuyasha!" Sesshmaru called. He looked up and nodded.

"I have to go now. Don't worry about me. I'll be home soon." He said to the small raven haired girl he loved. He kissed her lips softly and ran to lead beside his brother. They mounted their horses and lead their troops away from their beloved village.

'I will come back to you, Kagome. I promise.' He thought.

XxX

Kagome prepared for the worst as the soldier approached her on the porch of the home she used to share with Inuyasha. Tears welled up is her eyes as his grim expression became more prominent as he came closer. She tried to stand from her seat but her knees gave out underneath her. Collapsing to the floor, she couldn't stop the stream flooding from her eyes.

The soldier knelt down beside the woman and removed his hat. "Miss Kagome Higurashi?" He knowingly asked. All she could do was nod. "Lord Inuyasha was lost in a battle. We searched for days, but never found his body anywhere." He informed her solemnly.

"Lost?! So he can still be alive?! Why didn't you keep searching?! Look harder?! Recruit more people to find him?!" She yelled with a harder flow of tears pouring from her eyes. She tried with all her might to punch her fists into his chest. But failed.

The soldier provided her support and gave her a sympathetic hug in comfort for her loss.

"I'm very sorry. We weren't able to stay in the area any longer or we would have searched till his remains were found." The soldier said sadly. She pulled back to look at him.

"His remains?" She squeaked. "So you think he is dead?" The soldier only nodded grimly.

Kagome lost all fight in her. Her body limped into his hug, tear still pouring from her heartbreak.

XxX

Three months passed. The army returned without her precious Inuyasha. Kagome saw Sesshomaru ride up on his horse. She watched as he was greeted by his lover Rin. After a short reunion, he turned to Kagome. He made his way towards her with a sad look on his face.

Kagome's expression was cold as ice. Blank. Like she possessed none. She had lost all of her vibrance. Her love for life.

"Kagome. I tried." He said. She just stood there. No change in her expression. Nothing. It hurt Sesshomaru further to know how much Kagome died inside from the loss of his brother. "He was a wonderful man. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." He said.

His words dug back into her broken heart and cracked it further. She clinched her chest and a new line of tears streaked her cheeks. Sesshomaru gave his once future sister-in- law an embrace of sorrow. Rin walked over and joined in the comfort for the two of them, with tears of her own.

The three mourned Inuyasha's inferred death for about an hour before Sesshomaru helped Kagome back home and went his separate way. Kagome laid down on top of her perfectly made sheets of her bed. She closed her eyes and wished he was lying next to her. On his pillow she left ready for him at his return.

Now, he wouldn't return. He broke his promise. His promise to come back. She felt another stab in her chest, evoking the stinging tears that seemed to endlessly flow. She cried herself into a dreamless sleep as she wished for him to come home. Safe and sound.

XxX

Bankotsu got down on one knee. "Kagome. I know we haven't been together long, but I feel a real connection between us. We are both at the right time in our lives to settle down and start a family. Will you please be my beautiful wife?" He asked her. Kagome was astonished. They had only been going steady for a few months. She felt her heart pulse as a vision of Inuyasha appeared in the place of Bankotsu.

She hadn't even let Bankotsu in. Let alone let herself love him. But he was right. They were at the age to settle down. And though he wasn't the one she wanted to be with, Inuyasha will always live in her memories. He would want her to be happy. Live her life.

"I will." She said. Allowing him to place the ring on her finger and embrace her lovingly.

Comparisons are easily done
Once you've had a taste of perfection
Like an apple hanging from a tree
I picked the ripest one, I still got the seed

You said move on, where do I go?
I guess second best is all I will know

'Cause when I'm with him I am thinking of you
Thinking of you, what you would do
If you were the one who was spending the night
Oh, I wish that I was looking into your eyes

She never really showed any true happiness. Just the fake smile and went with the flow of thanking the congratulations that came with the engagement.

Even though she was now set to marry Bankotsu, she never allowed their intimate relationship to move forward. When he expressed concern, she would say she wanted to wait till the night they were really married. Excuses to prevent it as long as possible.

She didn't want him to be her first. She regretted not letting Inuyasha take her before he left. But he wouldn't have allowed it anyways. He wanted her to be his on their wedding night. She cringed as the pain in her heart sparked once again.

Inuyasha was such a wonderful person. He was so loving and caring. He never let her go without anything she could have wanted. He would have pulled the moon down from the heavens if she had wanted it. She couldn't ever stay mad at him either. He would look at her with his golden puppy dog eyes and she melted every time.

She wondered if he was watching over her now. She knew he was with the angels. He was one. She paused washing the dish in her hand and said a silent prayer that he was happy where ever he was now. That he was in no more pain and that she would meet with him again one day.

She was shocked back from her thoughts when Bankotsu wrapped his arms around her waist. He placed a hand over hers to have her drop the dish in the sink. He proceeded to slowly turn her around and pinned her against the counter, placing his hands on both sides of her.

She placed her hands on his chest in an attempt to keep him back, but he didn't even feel any pressure from her push. He leaned in and gave her a kiss on the lips. Kagome closed her eyes and kissed him back like a fiancé was supposed to. Imagining that the lips she was kissing belonged to someone else. Inuyasha.

You're like an Indian Summer in the middle of winter
Like a hard candy with a surprise center
How do I get better once I've had the best?
You said there's tons of fish in the water, so the waters I will test

He kissed my lips, I taste your mouth, oh!
He pulled me in, I was disgusted with myself

'Cause when I'm with him I am thinking of you
Thinking of you, what you would do
If you were the one who was spending the night
Oh, I wish that I was looking into

A few weeks passed. Bankotsu had arranged all of the preparations for the wedding and the ceremony would take place in the morning. She looked down at the ring that burned her finger. She wondered if she was making the right choice. It didn't feel right for her, but she couldn't have who she wanted. He was gone.

You're the best, and yes, I do regret
How I could let myself let you go
Now, now the lesson's learned
I touched it, I was burned
Oh, I think you should know!

Kagome looked into the mirror. She saw the shell of a once happy woman. It wasn't her. Someone she didn't know. The white dress hugged her curves so perfectly until it hit her hips. It then flared into a beautiful ball gown. She held in her hands a lovely bouquet of white roses. She looked beautiful. But her face showed sadness.

A knock on the door made her turn from the reflection. Her mother and grandfather were there. Smiling but still she could see the sympathy they offered her. She took a deep breath. She knew why they were here.

"It's time, Kagome dear." Her mother said softly.

'Cause when I'm with him I am thinking of you
Thinking of you, what you would do
If you were the one who was spending the night
Oh, I wish that I was looking into your, your eyes
Looking into your eyes, looking into your eyes

Oh, won't you walk through?
And bust in the door and take me away?
Oh, no more mistakes
'Cause in your eyes I'd like to...

The usser escorted her mother to her seat in the front row. Her heart pounded. Anxiety taking over. She had second thoughts. She didn't want this. She would rather live alone for the rest of her life. She only loved Inuyasha.

Her grandpa pulled her arm and it was time to walk down the isle. She looked at the faces on either side of her. She saw a lot of people who didn't even know her on one side, and her friends and family on the other. But who she saw in the second row of her side made her want to turn and run out of the church. Sesshomaru and Rin. He looked like he had a forced smile.

She passed everyone as they reached the alter. She looked up and saw Bankotsu in a tux. Her grandpa gave her hand to him. She felt her heart racing. She wanted to run and hide. Get out of the situation. Get out of his arms.

"Do you Bankotsu, take Kagome as your lawfully wedded wife?" The preacher said.

"I do." He said proudly. Kagome looked around the church.

"Do you Kagome, take Bankotsu as your lawfully wedded husband?" He preceded to ask. She pulled her hands away from Bankotsu.

"I'm sorry. I can only love one person." Kagome apologized sincerely. She looked at Sesshomaru who had his eyes wide and mouth dropped open. He stood. Kagome wrinkled her bow in questioning.

A horses loud nay echoed through the church. Kagome was at the top of the isle and froze at the bone chilling sound.

"Inuyasha." Kagome heard Sesshomaru say in astonishment.

'Can it be true?' She thought. She watched the door as it burst open and the sun light beamed around a figure with shoulder armor and a cape. Though the most magnificent part of the man was his flowing silver mane and dazzling golden eyes. His triangular ears made her want to collapse as it was really him.

"Kagome." He spoke. Kagome had tears of joy streaming down her face once more.

"Inuyasha!" She exclaimed, running in her wedding dress to her long lost lover. He embraced her petite form with such care. He brushed the hair from her face as he smiled down a her.

"I'm sorry I'm late." He teased. She frowned.

"I thought you were dead!" She protested. Reburying her face in his chest.

"And I would be if it weren't for a village of fox demons took me in and healed my wounds and helped me regain my strength. I didn't go a single day without thinking of you my love." He told her, hugging her close.

"And I you. I missed you so much." She replied. He leaned down and kissed her soft pink lips. They were so sweet and gently. He missed their taste.

Bankotsu approached the couple, clearing his throat to get their attention. They looked up. Inuyasha grinned, reaching out a hand.

"I have to thank you for taking care of her while I was gone." He thanked. He could smell that Kagome was still clean. Nothing was unpure about her. The two men shook hands. And Bankotsu spoke.

"Well," He sighed. "the whole wedding is already set up. Why don't you two get married and make the love you both share a reality?"

Kagome looked up happily at Inuyasha. He nodded to her. Everyone stood as they approached the alter arm in arm. The ceremony proceeded with a new groom. They said their 'I do's' and shared a magical, loving, passionate kiss the seal their marriage. Their vows to love and care for one another till death do they part.

Stay. Stay.