InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Simple Life ❯ Imagine The Worst ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Simple Life
By: Keito-chan

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Tea time’s over and Kagome has about had enough of Mrs. Sukido’s prying nature - however turns out to get even more prying! When Kagome’s car is replaced with something quite…well you’ll see! And what is Sesshoumaru planning!? I doubt it will be something that we’ll like! Read on to find it all out!

Chapter Three: Imagine The Worst


Well Sesshoumaru made it safely to his office, much to his delight - and there commenced his business engagement. And a quite important one to boot.

The woman sat across from him in a tight fitting black business jacket - that plunged a little too deep. Her hair was pinned up in some sort of Japanese style with twists and chopsticks to keep it in. Her make-up stood out on her slender face and her bangs shaded her eyes in a somewhat elegant way. Hugging her hips was a black skirt to match that of her jacket and on her feet were six inch black boots that could be put in a category along with cat woman’s.

And this was his savior. And his employee - for a time.

The woman straightened herself and tossed her bangs back before turning her red-brown eyes upon him. “So, Sesshoumaru-sama, what is it that you require of my services?”

Sesshoumaru leaned back in his swivel chair, hands folded together atop his desk. “I imagine you and all of Japan have heard of some…devastating news involving my half-brother, Inuyasha…”

The woman frowned as she shifted in her seat, “I’m afraid I don’t kn--”

“His engagement to a certain woman of no particular class what-so-ever.” He stated briskly - Was he the only one who found distaste in this engagement?!

The woman smiled, smirked actually, and nodded, “Oh yes. It’s been all over every newspaper and magazine. You’d think everyone’s heard enough of it by now. And you know what they call it?” The woman barked a short laugh and shook her head, “A 20th Century Cinderella Story.”

Sesshoumaru’s hands had gown more firmly planted together as his jaw clenched. This was getting out of hand. “Indeed…”

Yes. Sesshoumaru had heard about that. And frankly he thought it was ridiculous. Inuyasha was far from prince charming and Kikyo was even farther from Cinderella. Besides, the whole analogy between the two was far from the truth.

“So then, you realize the importance of the situation. Inuyasha and his fiancé must never get the chance to say ‘I do’.” Sesshoumaru snapped his eyes from a picture hanging on his wall of some type of ancient Japanese battle to look towards the woman currently across from him.

She nodded her head and smiled again while shifting in her seat in a way that exposed just enough amount of thigh. “Oh yes - I quite understand.”

Sesshoumaru turned to her fully again - ignoring her charms.

“Good. I expect their tragic break-up before the end of three months, until then I trust in your…expertise.”

The still unnamed woman flashed another smile before answering.

“Trust me, Sesshoumaru Sukido, that is something that you don’t have to worry about.”

Sesshoumaru now allowed himself a smirk, “I hope your as good as your word Kagura, or else there’ll be hell to pay.”

And with that Sesshoumaru turned towards his computer and clicked it on - Kagura took this as a cue to stand up and leave, but not before saying, “You’ll soon forget there ever was a Kikyo Higurashi.”

This time her trademark smirk was absent from her face.

----

He had left and when he had she literally felt all her muscles in her body relax. She could breathe a little better, too. Yes, Sesshoumaru had left their little lunch table to go to a special appointment that he made increasingly clear was more important than his newly acquired family. Even though, no one missed him much and if they did they didn’t show it.

The talking, actually, grew after his departure, which Kagome found slightly amusing. Rin once again resumed her shy demeanor, which Kagome found slightly odd. She would have thought that out of everyone Rin would be the one most pleased with the man’s absence, but she seemed the one most unpleased. She shrugged. Maybe she was just tired?

The rest of the lunch Kagome was mostly forgotten again as Kikyo was under the limelight - it being her wedding. Mr. Sukido, although, talked with her consistently throughout the meal about various topics; politics, world studies, books, medical sciences, movies, etc. It wasn’t at all boring and, surprisingly, Kagome found herself having a somewhat enjoyable time.

Soon, however, lunch ended and both families stood to leave. They all walked to the club parking lot together, deep in conversation, while Souta and Kagome trailed behind - Rin currently napping on her mother’s shoulder while she talked amiably with Mrs. Sukido.

Souta yawned and stretched, “I thought we’d never get out of there! And to think that I spent my whole day here when Kohaku invited me over to check out the new Dynasty Warriors game!”

Kagome’s eyebrows lifted in surprise and excitement, “They have a new Dynasty Warriors game out?” Souta nodded.

“Yeah, it looks really cool. But I wouldn’t know since I haven’t played it yet.” He said that somewhat quickly - giving way to his ire about not being able to hang out with his best friend, happening to be the brother of Kagome’s own
best buddy, Sango.

Talking about Sango it had been awhile since she had talked to her - or even hung out with her, both of them being in college and all - and of course the wedding. With that thought Kagome made a mental note to call her when she got home.

“Yeah, it was a waste of time. But, we’re family and we have to be happy for Kikyo and her…” Kagome frowned a bit searching for a word, “her…contentment…” Oh, how lame that sounded. She didn’t even believe it and from the look on Souta’s face, he didn’t either.

Kagome tried again, “You know they aren’t that bad…maybe as time goes on things will improve?”

Another sideways glance from Souta clearly told her she should stop selling the optimistic attitude, because it wasn’t being bought.

With an aggravated sigh and roll of her eyes, Kagome nodded, “Okay, maybe it isn’t going to get better, but lets look on the bright side - you’ll have a famous and rich sister who you can mooch off of to buy all the video games you want.”

That seemed to hit the spot as Souta smiled, “You got a point there.”

Kagome laughed as she threw an arm around Souta’s shoulders and pulled him close.

“You’re such a jerk. But I love you, and besides, we’re the only sane ones left in this estrogen ridden family so we gotta stick together.”

Souta smiled, and both sister and brother walked to the cars in a comfortable silence. Once they reached their destination Kagome removed her arm from her brother’s shoulders and unlocked her car, but not before saying goodbye to her future relatives and her family.

“It was great talking to you, Mr. Sukido, I really enjoyed the conversation. I’ll see you again soon, I hope.” Kagome smiled brightly as she shook the elder man’s hand truly meaning every word. Mr. Sukido was a worldly, interesting, and quite educated man - complete with a kindness that was utterly lost on his two sons (at least in Kagome’s opinion).

His amber eyes twinkled cheerfully as he nodded and gifted her with a unique smile of his own. Did she mention that he was handsome? In an older, more ancient type of way that hinted to incredible good-looks when he was younger. Comparably to that of Sesshoumaru, even though that thought soured in Kagome’s mind.

“Please call me Inutaisho. I think we’re a little bit more than acquaintances now.” Kagome laughed and nodded as he continued, “And anytime you want to come down to the company and check it out, or see me about some medical jobs - I know some people in that type of business that are quite well known and respected for their professions - they could probably get you a job at a highly regarded medical establishment.”

Kagome’s smile faltered a little, “Oh, no, no thank you - I wouldn’t want to be a -” but she was cut off as Mr. Sukido waved his hand, “Trust me Kagome, I do practically nothing with that son of mine always running the business - he’s a one man show, that one. Besides, I’d enjoy some fresh company from the daily stuffed suites.”

Kagome sighed and nodded. “Considering that I’ll make a note of it to come down one day and bother you.” She laughed and thanked Mr. Sukido and moved on to other goodbyes.

After a hug and kiss-kiss on the cheeks from her Aunt Susumi and a quiet kiss on the forehead of little Rin she moved on to Mrs. Sukido who was finishing up a conversation with her mother.

“I had a wonderful lunch and delightful time, thank you for inviting us. Your club is very beautiful and I would love to come back anytime.” Okay, so she lied a little. But she couldn’t have said, ‘Oh it was okay, and I’d rather not come back again ever again, but thanks for inviting us anyway.’ No. Definitely not, even if it was tempting.

Mrs. Sukido nodded and smiled, “Well I’m glad you enjoyed yourself and I do hope things go nicely with college - and of course the gentlemen.” She winked and laughed before gripping Kagome’s shoulders and planting a motherly kiss on her forehead and after that patting her hand on the side of her cheek. “Well then, until next time. Goodbye dear.”

Kagome smiled and thanked Mrs. Sukido yet again for the hospitality before turning back to her car and preparing to get in, before Mrs. Sukido’s voice stopped her.

“Oh my! Kagome, dear, is that your car?” Kagome frowned somewhat baffled at the question as she answered in an affirmative, while glancing back to make sure nothing was wrong with it, I swear if one of those country club snobs wreaked it - graffiti, scratches…

But her thoughts stopped when she noticed nothing wrong with her blue Volvo. The tsk, tsk from Mrs. Sukido made her yet again face the woman, one leg already inside the car.

“I have made up my mind. You need a new car - especially if you plan on impressing any big medical doctors - or some cute boys!” Oh why did her conversations always end in referring to boys?!

Kagome felt her annoyance sky rocketing. Her car. Her life.

“Ahaha, Mrs. Sukido - really, that’s kind of you, but this car is perfectly -”

She was interrupted by the woman as she questioned, “Does it have a CD player?”

Kagome frowned, “No - but the radio works for -”

“Ah! No CD player! And look at it! What date was it made?”

Kagome fought the urge to growl, “1997.”

“Oh my, you poor thing! No, we must get you a new one. Besides that color is simply not for a teenage girl of your type.”

“I like that color.” Kagome quietly thought the remainder of the sentence to herself, wanting to speak it aloud, but knowing much, much better. And how exactly did you come to assume what type I am - besides, I‘m almost twenty!

“Oh, no. No you don’t.” Mrs. Sukido laughed good-naturedly and waved her hand. “I’ll have it arranged - and I know you’ll just love it!”

Kagome was about to answer in a less than polite way, before her mother saved her - and at the same time condemned her. “Sounds like a wonderful idea to me! How much will it cost, Izayoi?”

Kagome’s mouth fell open. They were standing around and deciding her life for her. What was next? Her room? Kagome quickly shuddered at that thought. Oh geez. And I was just starting to think that everyone would forget about me and my life would remain relatively unaffected - besides from maybe one or two reporters. Now look at them! Haggling over what car I should drive! I swear to God if they move on to my room I’m gonna…

“Oh no! I’ll be paying - just leave it to me.”

“No, really, that’s very nice of you, but unnecessary.”

Mrs. Sukido eyed Kagome’s car again, and turned back to her mother and nodded quickly, “Trust me, it’s necessary.”

Mrs. Higurashi threw up her hands in defeat (although happily resided to the fact that Mrs. Sukido would be paying.)

“You win.”

“I always do.” And as the two women laughed their merry little hearts out, Kagome quickly placed the rest of her body inside her car and slammed the door shut. Souta had already occupied the front seat and was playing his game boy.

“Taking over your life now? Oh - but I thought it wasn’t that bad?” Souta smirked.

Kagome roared the engine before replying.

“It got worse. Now shut up before I make you walk.”

----

“Yeah, Sango, it’s pretty bad.” Kagome sighed after relating the past few days to her best friend.

“Sure sounds like it.” Sango agreed solemnly.

Kagome decided to change the subject. “So how’s Miroku? I haven’t talked to him in a while either.” She heard her friend’s aggravated snort across the line.

“The same as ever! Pervert can’t keep his hands off anyone!”

Kagome laughed and shook her head. Well, as long as her friends stayed constant - even if her whole family changed around her, she saw herself surviving.

“I was thinking…” Kagome continued.

“Yesss?”

“Well…if you don’t have anything to do - and Miroku doesn’t have anything to do this evening, we should all go hang out somewhere!”

Kagome was hoping and praying that they wouldn’t have anything planned. She just need this time with her friends to escape this house - and the currently annoying residents.

“Before you say no consider the fact that I’m suffering from mental trauma from all the love struck females around me - and, besides, it will probably be the last time I ever get to drive my car. Mrs. Sukido called saying that her little ’surprise’ would be waiting for me in the morning. Honestly, I’m afraid to wake up. But now that you know - please say yes!”

Sango’s laughter caught her ears and Kagome smiled despite herself.
“Is that a yes?”

Sango was still chuckling when she answered, “But don’t you have anatomy test tomorrow?”

“Yeah, but I think I know it pretty well.”

“Alright then, yes - I can come.”

Kagome danced around the kitchen, “Great! Now call Miroku and see if he can come.”

“Alright I’ll see you at…5:30. Talk to you later. Oh and please, hang in there a little longer till we get there!”

Kagome laughed and hung up the phone. Kohaku already had plans with Souta to go to a nearby arcade with some other friends, so he wasn’t a problem.

Now all she needed to do was change her clothes, add some make-up and then off they go.

To where? They’d figure it out - just as long as it was a good fifteen minutes away from here.

----

“Now where do you all want to go? Most preferably somewhere cheap.”

Miroku sighed, “I’m guessing strip bars are out of the question?” Two sharp looks from his female friends answered all.

Miroku sighed dejectedly, “I think it’s about time I got some male friends.” He went ignored.

“Oh! How about a movie and then after that we can all head on over to that nice little café - The Western Lands?”

Kagome frowned, “The Western Lands? Never been there.” She wasn’t much of a coffee goer like Sango, but she decided to just go with it.

“I agree with the café, although, I don’t think we should go to the movies, I’m thinking more along the lines of…paintball!” Kagome smiled. “You know the new place that opened up? I heard it’s a blast. A big maze, each of us gets paintballs and we have to hut the other team down and peg them. What do you think? But they aren‘t guns…you just throw ‘em.”

Miroku and Sango smiled. “I think you’ve got yourself a deal.”

They got there in a relatively short period of time and paid for one game with an unlimited round of paintballs. Kagome found herself on a team with Sango and a few other people she didn’t know. A teenage boy and his friend named Tuske and Hotori, a older man with a ponytail at the nape of his neck named Bob, and a group of teenage girls about 15. They were the red team.

Miroku was on the blue team with a bunch of young pretty teenage girls and just a few boys - all younger than 13. The stupid hornball.

Then there was another team - the green team with about the best assortment of paintballers. They had almost all guys about 19 and older. One of the men had talked to Kagome a little before the game began and had introduced himself as Hojo. He seemed nice enough. Along with the boys they also had two manly looking women - who had biceps almost as big as any body builder.

The game commenced and they were let loose in a maze of tubes, tunnels, jungle-gyms of rope and wires, it was like a man made jungle. It was a blast. Kagome got a bunch of the girls from the blue team who were giggling and screaming whenever they saw someone from an opposite team.

Sango and Kagome stuck together taking on one person at a time. Whenever they spotted Miroku he would smile evilly and bound off again.

“COWARD!!” Sango screamed the third time he did it. Kagome laughed - which was cut off suddenly in a strangled choke as someone hit her with a paintball on the side of her face. She wiped it away to reveal green paint.

Kagome glared around to see the offender. She saw Hojo smiling at her, and then with a wink he dashed off. Kagome glared.

“Sango - I think it’s time we start on the green team. Leave the smiley one to me.”

And so the duo headed off like wildcats searching for their prey, slinking and sliding between the wires and ropes and pressing themselves up against the walls. When they turned a specific corner they were pelted with green paintballs that snapped and burst around them like angry boils.

Sango got hit in the side and Kagome remanded unscathed, but fuming. They glanced up after the bombardment to see the two manly women with the muscles. Behind them were the rest of their group smiling evilly and catcalling. None of them with a speck of paint on them.

Kagome decided to change that. Flipping a paintball in her hand she called out, “You’re going down biatch!” and she whipped it with all her might at the manish looking woman who was momentarily stunned - Sango took advantage of the situation to chuck another paintball over the tall women to the huddling boys behind them. It struck true and paint sprayed everywhere.

Soon the boys broke out from their woman barrier and started pelting with full strength at Kagome and Sango.

Kagome’s eyes widened as about 20 dozen paintballs were hurled in her direction. She closed her eyes - all former bravo vanishing.

Splat splat splat splat.

“Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.” Kagome wiped the green sticky paint from her eyes and face before grabbing Sango’s hand and sprinting off in another direction.

“Hey! We weren’t done with you yet!” Came a good-natured protest from one of the boys.

“Bite me!” Kagome yelled, while Sango smiled and laughed. This was fun. And that’s how they ended up finding Miroku. They were talking and laughing when they heard some feminine giggles and a male’s voice around a large block of metal.

Kagome and Sango snuck around and found a girl about 16 years old leaning against the large metal structure with a dark-haired pervert, that they knew all too well, leaning over her in a suggestive way.

Kagome and Sango smirked to each other and nodded.

“I give the honor to you, Sango, to eliminate this human filth.”

“Oh trust me, the pleasure’s all mine.” Sango stepped out from behind the barrier and the female’s giggles suddenly ceased to be replaced with a deep blush. Miroku frowned noticing that his charms were not having an effect anymore - only to be greeted with a shrill voice that still gave him nightmares.

“YO! PERVERT CATCH!!” And right when he turned around Sango let it rip. The speeding little ball of paint flew and hit it’s mark right in the face of it’s target with a sickening slap.

And let’s just say Kagome and Sango’s laughter was about the only thing you could hear for the longest time.

The game ended about 15 minutes later with Green in first, Red in second, and Blue in third.

Each got funky plastic trophies that were awesome in Kagome and Sango’s opinion. Miroku looked really funny with the red paint crusted and dried in his hair and on his face. Even clumps of it stuck on his eyelashes.

Hojo asked for Kagome’s number, which she gave him - he went to Tokyo University too and said he had a class with her in anatomy. Kagome felt slightly ashamed that she had never noticed him before…that and a certain fondness for him compelled her to give him her number.

When they had said goodbye and changed out of the jumpsuits they had been lent to keep the paint from ruining their clothes they headed out to the café.

Sango picked up her trophy in admiration. “I think this is the proudest moment of my life!” Kagome laughed, “I say we go out a celebrate with some nice warm coffee!”

“Here, here!” Sango replied giggling.

“Hey, you sad-sack back there! Brighten up!” Sango and Kagome both looked at each other and then glanced back at Miroku with his paint encrusted face. “Oh - wait maybe not!” They burst into a bout of laughter from their corny humor. Sometimes it just felt great to be stupid!

Miroku on the other hand glowered, “Yeah, yeah, laugh it up bitches.” But no one missed the smile that tugged at his lips.

They eventually reached their destination, The Western Land’s Café.

It was a quaint prosperous looking establishment. They found some parking down the street from the café and as they neared the entrance they noticed a sleek black limousine parked out front.

“Geez. You’d think I’d seen enough of those to last me a lifetime.” Kagome grumbled.

“Wonder who it belongs to?” Sango asked while stopping a while to stare into the darkened windows.

“Maybe a beautiful movie star, perhaps?” Miroku suggested, his mind never too far from the ladies.

Sango rolled her eyes and smacked him on the back of the head. Then they headed into the café together.

It smelled faintly of cigarettes and coffee beans, a combination that Kagome found relaxing. The interior of the building was black and wooden. It had marble black counters and mahogany wooden tables and chairs. The décor varied from beautiful green plants to black and white pictures of various people having a cup of coffee throughout time since the residence had been opened in 1888.

They got a seat in the corner of the café, near a small stage with a pianist playing a soft tune. The perfect atmosphere for a cup of tea or coffee and a side of cake. They got some strange stares for the paint encrusted on their faces, but they didn’t let that bother them as they talked and laughed like there was no tomorrow.

Kagome felt great just to hang out with her friends and not have to be shut up in the house - she felt free to just let loose and be herself. And my God, did it feel great! She hadn’t noticed how edgy she had been the whole day in the Sukido’s presence and now that she had - she didn’t wonder why. She felt as if one wrong move and everything would come crashing down. Not that she minded, but her sister and her mother definitely would have suffered the most and that was something Kagome was most unwilling to put them through.

“So Kagome how’s the wedding going?” Miroku asked once they had ordered
two cups of coffee for Miroku and Sango and a cup of tea for herself.

Kagome toyed with a sugar packet before she answered, “Well I hate it, but Kikyo and the rest of my family are overjoyed. Did I mention my Aunt Susumi came up? My mom told me she tried to flirt with Sesshoumaru Sukido. Can you believe it? I’m just surprised she escaped with her life!”

Sango and Miroku laughed, “Are you serious?”

“Yeah.” Kagome smiled, “But you all know how she is. Ugh. I’m glad I was with Rin and Souta at the pool, that’s for sure.”

Sango laughed and Miroku shook his head, “Still can’t believe that your sister’s marrying a celebrity! I mean aren’t you a tad jealous?”
Kagome stopped to think a bit as she noticed her two friend’s heads tilted in her direction ready for her answer. Kagome sighed and shook her head, “Yeah…I have to admit I was. I mean Inuyasha is handsome and rich and I mean everybody dreams of marrying someone like that. I was half expecting some heartbroken fans to come crashing through our doors and burn down the house.” In an afterthought Kagome quickly added, “No offense, Sango.”

“Oh, none taken, but I guess it’s about time to start taking those Inuyasha posters down from above my bed, huh?”

Kagome laughed, “Maybe you should.”

Sango frowned and turned a stare onto Kagome, “Sesshoumaru is still single, right? No one’s marrying him?”

Kagome didn’t answer immediately as their coffee and her tea arrived but when the server had gone Kagome again turned her attention towards Sango.

“No, and I wouldn’t worry about him ever getting married. Honestly, I think the guy’s a homo.”

Sango quickly covered her ears, “No! I don’t want to hear it - You aren’t shattering my dreams, Ms. Kagome!! I still want some posters to hang on to here!”

Miroku snorted, “The guy’s a dick, Sango.”

“Well, every guy’s a dick, pervert, but us women love you anyway - and really it confuses us at most times.”

Miroku sipped his coffee quietly, his eyes squinty, “Touché.”

Kagome turned to her menu studying the deserts, just when Sango gave a startled “Mmmphmm!” and her coffee came spraying out of her mouth across the table at Miroku, “Gee thanks.” He said while mopping the mess off his face.

“LOOK!” Sango whispered harshly, pointing a deliberate finger over Kagome‘s shoulder. Kagome looked over her shoulder as inconspicuously as possible to be greeted with a disturbing sight.

“SESSHOUMARU?!” Kagome whipped around and slunched her shoulders down and buried her face in her menu. “Sango!”

“Yes?” Her friend whispered loudly.

“You have to tell me if he’s coming in this direction!”

“Alright, alright…”

“Is he?!”

“No…no…”

Kagome breathed a sigh of relief and straightened her shoulders - “Oh! No, here he comes!” Sango smiled widely, “Oh my God, he’s so freaking hot!!”

Kagome squeaked and slammed herself down flat against the table. “Ignore him, Sango, IGNORE HIM!” She whispered harshly. “I don’t want him seeing me!”

“So…hard…to - ugh. I CAN’T STOP LOOKING!!” Sango squirmed excitedly next to her, “I can’t believe you can’t stand the guy - he’s like a HUGE hunk of man meat!”

Miroku sipped his coffee, shoulders drooped, “Oh, my dreams have been shattered, and to think that it was a beautiful woman that had entered this dismal café of spinsters!”

Thwack!

“Can it, horn cake.” Sango growled. Miroku went back to sipping his coffee and nursing a bruised scalp.

Kagome took this moment to peek up behind her menu to glance around the vicinity. “Holy mother - HE’S SITTING RIGHT ACROSS FROM US!!”

Sango’s eye’s where half-lidded, as she replied, “Oh, I know!

Kagome glared at her friend over the top of her menu.

“And to think I trusted you. TRAITOR!”

Sango waved her hands in front of herself in a apologetic way, “Kagome. Look at him. Loooooooooooook!!!! And try to blame me again for being a traitor - I mean my weakness lies within the Sukido brothers!”

Kagome glared, “I really suggest you find some other celebrities to obsess over or else I see this friendship crashing and burning. With no survivors.”

“That’s like asking me to chop of my right arm!” Sango protested, smiling, but then noticing Kagome’s eyes darken considerably, added, “Alright, alright, but at least give me one more night to just enjoy…” Sango’s eyes swerved towards the silver-haired hottie, and sighed, “…this…ahhhh.” With that she propped up her face with her hands and stared, unabashed, at Sesshoumaru Sukido - like it was the best movie ever.

And not only was Sango staring, but all the waitresses currently on their shift, and all the female customers - along with some males. Kagome just dimly realized the jealous stares directed in the direction of Sesshoumaru’s current waitress; a very pretty blonde haired woman with dark eyes. She smiled widely and nodded to everything he said - or more correctly - did. He wasn’t a talker. And Kagome was somewhat thankful for this, because, even if she really never heard him talk, she was sure that if he did whoever was victimized by his conversations would be scarred for life.

Miroku, now noticing that his chances with any woman tonight in the café were slim to 1 out of a million, drowned himself in his coffee, looking pitiful.

“This is rather turning into a bad evening.” He sighed, noticing that his drink was all gone.

Kagome nodded, still holding up her menu like a shield around her face. The Sukidos were intent on ruining every aspect of her life weren’t they? Oh, not to mention taking her only trustworthy female friend’s sanity. Sango was another little groupie.

Kagome glanced from a sugar packet to Sango’s head and smiled - chucking the temporary weapon at her head.

Poosh…

Sango still remained unaffected by Kagome’s onslaught.

Kagome frowned, and reached over and took a handful of the little sugar packets and flung them at her friend.

Pooshpooshpooshpooshpoosh.

Sango calmly dusted the little offenders from her shoulders and sighed, eyes still fixed on a certain man, “Chuck as many as you want, Kagome, it ain’t going to change a thing.”

Kagome gave up on her friend as a lost cause and flicked over her menu - not caring anymore if Sesshoumaru noticed her, he probably wouldn’t even care anyway. This was absolutely ridiculous. How could one man have such an effect on every single woman?! Driving them half insane with desire and making them act like complete and utter fools? *cough* Sango *cough*.

Kagome waved to a nearby waitress, who promptly came over, them being just across from the famous celebrity and all.

“What may I get you Miss?”

“The most fattening thing you’ve got.”

.-.-.-.

Sesshoumaru barely recognized the people across from him until she waved to a waitress standing a little too closely to his table…actually now noticing it, almost the entire café was now too close to his table. He felt annoyance, he couldn’t remember a single time that that feeling wasn’t present for less than 5 minutes.

First of all his waitress and her flirting and charms and obnoxious nodding of her head like one of those little bobbing animal heads was driving him insane. He came here to escape this kind of unwanted attention - only to be affronted by it ten fold.

Oh, yes, and then she was here. He was surprised to see her face, and at the same time disturbed. Surely she wasn’t following him? He certainly hoped not, and just when he was starting to think that she was different…possibly for the better. Well, life wasn’t always kind, now was it?

Mindy came with his dark coffee, no sugar, no cream, just pure dark coffee - the way he liked it. The waitress giggled when his hand accidentally brushed hers as he reached for his coffee a little too quickly. Sesshoumaru grimaced and hastily wiped his hand off on his black dress pants, eyebrow lifting in aggravation.

Maybe he’d just take it to go? He pondered the idea and was about to rise when the sudden ringing of his cell phone halted him. He picked it up and nearly growled, “What?”

Jaken’s gravely voice flittered over the device bringing much unwanted news. “So sorry to disturb you Sesshoumaru-sama, but I just thought you’d like to know that the press is currently outside and about to --” Sesshoumaru’s head turned to the direction of the door as he heard the bells jingle. And low and behold, a group of camera men and women came bustling in, each vying to get to him first.

“…Sesshoumaru-sama? Sesshoumaru-sama?! Sesshoumar--”

“Jaken.” Sesshoumaru turned his attention towards his phone again. “Start the engine and prepare to depart. I’ll be there soon.” And with that he clicked it off not bothering to make sure that Jaken had acknowledged him.

He wouldn’t run from the press. He’d just ignore some questions and answer others with yes, or no, or fine. Like always. Usually they didn’t bother with him, unless they were desperate for some type of information. Which apparently they were.

Sesshoumaru was about to take a sip from his coffee when a plop next to him made him raise his eyes.

Blue ones blinked back uncertainly, before they turned away and a voice murmured, “Umm…hello…Sesshoumaru…”

“Hell o.” Was the baritone that answered the unsure voice, so much confidence against so much insecurity - he almost smirked - what was she doing? Why had she come over - Ahhh… he realized it now, she saw the reporters and she saw him and click! Perfect opportunity for some fame and glory.

She wasn’t different, she was the same, through and through, and to think that he was about to accept the fact that ---

She leaned in closer and whispered, “I just thought you’d like to know that some reporters are here and …well, maybe you’d like to leave.”

Mental brakes caused him to come to a skidding halt.

Fame, glory? Well…maybe not.

Sesshoumaru just stared at her - and blinked. “What are you saying, Higurashi?” He lifted his coffee to his lips, which were in a perfect smirk, but he didn’t take a sip.

Kagome shifted in her seat uncomfortably. Okay. So she was trying to make him leave! And he wasn’t - was her plan backfiring in front of her face?

Ohh! Just leave, dammit!

“Well…I just, I can, well…” Kagome found it hard to talk with his smirking like that, holding his coffee to his lips, obviously waiting for her answer before he took a sip.

“Oh! Just drink your coffee already!” Kagome burst out, exasperated, then realizing what she had said, shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

Oh shit. Way to go, Kag. Way. To. Go.

She braced herself for his temper, but it never came, only a dry chuckle, which surprised her immensely.

“Do you truly mean to tell me that you aren’t just sitting here, with me, for some bit of eminence? Do tell me, since you’re here and I have no intention of leaving.”

Just a specimen for further observation. That’s all. That was it. Nothing more, no nothing. Surprisingly.

Sesshoumaru felt his lips twitch into a slightly bigger smirk (which isn’t saying much) as she stared at him, with anger clear on her face. He loved the way women were so easy to read. Oh, it was so entertaining.

Kagome sputtered. He thought that she wanted fame?! To be noticed with HIM?

Egotistical son of a…

“Now you listen,” She pointed a finger at him, “All I came here to do was tell you that some reporters are here, and maybe, since you might not want the attention and all that crap, that you could leave bef--” Kagome was suddenly cut off by a flash of light that blinded her and left her with a headache.

More flashes followed and then voices.

“Sesshoumaru Sukido! --”

“Mr. Sukido!! --”

“Sukido!!! --”

Sesshoumaru turned his head towards the crowd of people milling over him with cameras and microphones. It was all so ordinary to him, even the flash of the cameras didn’t bother him anymore, unlike his current guest. She rubbed at her eyes and blinked, her anger fading to confusion.

Sesshoumaru placed his cup of coffee down and turned to the first question.

“Mr. Sukido, would you care to tell us who this young woman you are with is?”

“No.”

“Come on now, fiancé? Lover?” Another reporter prompted.

Kagome who had been recently befuddled and slightly shocked snapped awake at the questioned word of lover.

“Definitely not!” She told him, “No, Sesshoumaru and I are definitely not involved, at all. In any way, shape or form. And besides I was just lea--”

“Prostitute, Mr. Sukido?” A tall woman with brown curly hair question, cutting Kagome off.

Sesshoumaru reclined further into his chair, smirk tugging at his lips, but not appearing. Maybe this once in his life the camera crews were actually entertaining him.

“Certainly…” He rolled his eyes lazily from Kagome to the female reporter and then back to Kagome, “you aren’t suggesting that my own brother’s fiancé’s sister is a prostitute?”

That settled a startled silence over the herds of people pushing and jumbling to get closer around their already cramped two-person table. The silence was short lived as a burst of camera lights and clicks were heard and more and more questions than before.

“Are you in love?”
“Double wedding?”
“How did you meet?”
“Was it love at first sight?”
“How exactly do you spell Kagome?”

Kagome blinked. Her eyes were definitely blind by now, all she could see was white light blinking and flashing. She couldn’t believe her little plan to just get rid of Sesshoumaru, quickly and efficiently, could lead to this. Yes, to get rid of him. Tell him the reporters were here, he, being all antisocial and all and not very talkative (she guessed any celebrity would like to escape the press, especially when they were relaxing), would be out of the place like a zip. And then she’d have her peace back and her friends.

And all she had to say for her plan was - KABOOM. Yup, absolute failure.

She dimly realized that someone was tugging on her sleeve and she looked towards Sesshoumaru who was standing now and shooing the reporters away.

We’re leaving. Now.” He only needed to say that one sentence to get her on her feet and following him. She didn’t even look back to see Sango and Miroku…they’d get home, somehow.

When they had gotten outside the limousine doors were open and beckoning to them a safety from the mob of people who had followed them. Kagome could feel Sesshoumaru’s hand on her lower back guiding her towards the car, the stream of camera flashes and questions, now being yelled, following after them like rabid wolves.

Kagome suddenly remembered that she owned something called a car and had drove said object here, turned to Sesshoumaru before he ducked her head into the backseat of the limo.

“Sesshoumaru - my car -” But she was cut off when he answered curtly, “I’ll take care of it.”

And with that he forced her head down and practically shoved her in the limo, and quickly followed in after her.

No sooner were they encased in the black velvet of the car were they off, driving away from the monsters known as reporters.

Kagome, after about 5 minutes of driving in silence, had enough time to recollect her bearings and to feel absolute embarrassment. How humiliating! He must think she was just another simple minded, drooling female admirer. I mean, he said as much to her back at the café! Well, she certainly wasn’t.

With this thought in mind she turned to him fully intent on explaining.

“Sesshoumaru, I think you have misunderstood me.” Kagome started out.

He turned to face her, “Oh?”

“Well…you see, I wasn’t - I’m not…I’m not obsessed with you or a swooning idiot, like some women are around you.”

Sesshoumaru, not entirely understanding where this conversation was going, or why it had even been brought up, was strangely amused. “Some?”

Kagome sighed and rolled her eyes, “Okay. Possibly every woman.” You jerk.

Sesshoumaru nodded, satisfied, “That‘s more like it.”

“Anyway, as I was saying, I really did just come over to you to let you know about the reporters. Nothing more. Nothing less. So…don’t get any wrong ideas.”

And with that said Kagome took a deep, relieved breath and lowered herself back into her seat.

Well that was relatively easy…

Sesshoumaru looked at her. Without a doubt she was hiding something. She had to be. All an act, isn’t it? And even if it wasn’t - she was…different…there was no denying it.

And slowly he was being pulled into her world. This world of the Higurashis’ and all their annoying and, in her case, captivating traits. It truly was a shame that he just had to make sure that they would never ever be anything closer than acquaintances. He was already making sure of it.

And until then - until his…hired employees finished their job, she would just be something to occupy time - Nothing more, nothing less.

----

AN: Here is chapter three my dears!

Probably will not be updating for a while after this because I have to write up a couple more future chapters before I post anymore. Besides as I mentioned before and will always mention when I update - I TAKE MY TIME. Thank you for your reviews!