InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ Meeting the Family ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inu Yasha is NOT MINE!!!!!!!! He belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

P.S. I HAVE NO $$$$$ SO DON'T SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

CH.12

By Sailor Scribe

"Grandpa! Grandpa!"

"What is it Shippo?" Inu Shantino folded his morning paper to give his full attention to the hyper kitsun bouncing on his bed. It wasn't every Sunday his grandson woke up before eight this energetic. Usually, he was up at the crack of dawn demanding attention from all members of the family. Being allowed to sleep in this lazy morning was a blessing, but his grandson's smile was what kept him living. Was it no wonder that he wanted seven more of them?

"I got a new mommy…and she is so pretty…and she tells Inu Yasha off…and she doesn't smell like coconut oil and sweat…and…and…"

"Shippo, take a breath." Inu Shantino observed his grandson turn a purplish-blue hue as he ranted without making much sense. "Now, why do you think that you have a new mommy?"

"I don't think, I know! I went to wake up Inu this morning so we could make hot fudge sundaes for breakfast…"

"Inu Yasha lets you have hot fudge sundaes for breakfast?"

"Well, it's made out of milk!" Shippo protested as he folded his arms in protest.

"I'll have to have a talk about responsible eating habits to my son…"

"Oi, not that it matters; I'm sure Kagome will make me pancakes for breakfast with extra syrup from now on!"

"Kagome? Your photographer friend?"

"Yeah, she is my new mommy!"

"Oh," Inu Shantino smiled. "Is she Inu Yasha's new girlfriend?"

"I don't know about that."

"Then, why do you think she is your new mommy?" Inu Shantino gave his grandson a hard look. Shippo just smiled as if he was a wise man with all the secrets of the universe.

"Because, when I went to get Inu Yasha for breakfast, I found them sleeping together like mommy and daddy, so she must have agreed to move here and be my mommy!"

"What do you mean sleeping together like mommy and daddy?" An inflamed vein on Inu Shantino's forehead threatened to pop.

"Oh, common, you were a daddy once!" Shippo declared as he put his fists on his hips in an old hag manner. "You know, in the same bed hugging each other under the blankets…daddy use to say that it was so I could have many baby brothers and sisters! Hey if I have a baby brother can I name him Goku like the guy on TV.?"

"What? Not in this house!" Inu Shantino sprinted out of the room ready to tear his youngest son to shreds.

"Well, it was only a suggestion! Jeez, what's so bad about Goku?" Shippo wondered as he moved towards Sesshomaru's bedroom. He was sure that he would agree that Goku was a good name.

Inu Shantino broke the door to his son's room in a blind furry only to become more agitated from finding no signs of his son or the bitch he had taken as a mate without proper ceremony. He sniffed and realized they were both in the guestroom.

"Dad!" Inu Yasha exclaimed as he tried to cover Kagome's ears, so she wouldn't wake up. "Why did you break down the door?" Inu Yasha looked at his father confused as he stared down at him in his deep blue silk pajamas with matching robe, looking more like a disgruntle god that an angry father. He knew the subtle signs that his ever patient and loving father was a little irked this morning. Inu Yasha saw the light steam being released from the Inu Youkai's ears, the vein ready to explode on his forehead, the crimson tinge of his father's complexion, and the short heavy pants of smoke coming from the elder's mouth. Inu Yasha was quite familiar with these signs for he had caused them so many times, but for the life of him, he couldn't remember what it was that he had done this time. "Did I forget to take out the trash again? I swear it was Sesshomaru's turn!"

"Who's going to be taking out the trash is me! Right after you take care of your responsibilities; that is, if you are man enough!" Inu Shantino growled.

"Ok, so I messed up big time, but could we do this outside? You are going to wake up Kagome, and trust me dad, right now, you are not a sight for sore eyes!" Inu Yasha knew he was treading on thin ice, but he hoped that if his father realized that Kagome was in the room, he would back up enough for Inu Yasha to figure out what he did wrong. "Ok, so it wasn't the trash. Did he find out I let Shippo have ice cream for breakfast? That would put him in one of his moods."

"The way I see it," Inu Shantino growled, "you two messed up big time TOGETHER! Or, are you going to disgrace me more and tell me that you took her by force.

"Force?" Inu Yasha blinked twice. "Took who by force?" Suddenly, he caught his reflection in the mirror and for the first time realized what his father was seeing. Kagome was tightly wrapped around his torso with his arm covering one ear and pushing the other one to his chest. The summer comforter was wrapped tightly around them, leaving nothing to view. Inu Yasha could not help but smile at the situation, and would have waken up Kagome to have this laugh with him, but he knew she would be too embarrassed to enjoy it.

"Inu Yasha Morrimotto the Second, do not push your luck!" His father growled. Inu Yasha, risking disturbing Kagome, carefully slipped from underneath her and walked towards his father.

"I didn't take anyone, by force or otherwise!" Inu Yasha growled low, but respectfully to his father. "And I would appreciate it if we didn't disturb my guest's sleep!"

"Inu Yasha!" Inu Shantino growled once again, "Then what were the two of you doing in bed together?"

"Take a look for yourself!" Inu Yasha demanded, and his father stiffened, for the first time seeing through his blind furry and noticing that his son was fully clothed and still wearing his shoes. The smell in the room was also clean and crisp indicating that the two had not even thumb wrestled during the evening. The older male took a deep breath and relaxed as he let his son lead him out the room.

"Inu Yasha…" Inu Shantino began.

"Keh." Inu Yasha replied indicating he understood his father's unspoken apology. "You should know better than anyone, father, that I respect you and this house. I know how you feel in respects to marriage, and if I ever felt as if I found a girl that I wanted to…you know, then I would bring her here as my wife."

"Don't start as if I don't know about the bachelor pad that you have in mid-town."

"Keh," Inu Yasha blushed. "Not like I would take her there."

"Oh?"

"She isn't that kind of girl…" He replied mostly to himself. "Oi, father, why did you think that me and Kagome had disrespected this house?"

"Well, when Shippo…"

"SHIPPO? THAT BRAT! Should have pounded him to the wall!"

"Inu Yasha!" His father scorned. "Perhaps if you didn't give the kit ice cream for breakfast, he wouldn't have the energy to jump to conclusions!" Inu Yasha growled in response as Kagura walked up to the two with a tray with cut fruits and juice.

"What are you doing here, wench?"

"That is sister wench to you! And, I wouldn't be so cocky right now Inu. I am very angry at you! Bringing your new girl to this house and not introducing her to me!"

"What are you blabbing about?" He almost screamed.

"Oh, for Kami's sake, Shippo told me everything! Now, if you will excuse me, I will like to introduce myself to her over breakfast!" Inu Yasha snatched the tray from her hands and growled,

"She isn't my woman! And, if I didn't introduce her properly to the family is because you were all asleep when we came in last night!" He took a look at the assorted fruit on the tray. "And, next time you make breakfast for a guest of mine, make sure that you make something I like!"

"Well, the breakfast isn't for you, baka! Can't you see it's a girl's power breakfast? It is intended for me and her! You are NOT invited!"

"If anyone is going to have breakfast exclusively with my guest, it will be me!" Inu Yasha growled dangerously low before he re-entered the guestroom slamming the door shut behind him.

"Well, isn't he grumpy in the morning?"

"Probably because he didn't get to thumb wrestle last night." Inu Shantino concluded. "Come, we must tell Shippo that he isn't getting a new mommy or brothers right now."

Kagome sat up on the bed with the speed of a bullet when she heard the door slam. "Inu Yasha?" The light was bothering her eyes. She had not been ready to wake up just yet.

"Keh, I got you breakfast." She tired to smile, but when she noticed the time she could not help but frown.

"It's eight thirtyin the morning?"

"Yeah…"

"Didn't we go to bed a few hours ago?"

"Four." He answered as she glared at him. He could not help but swallow hard.

"This is cruel and unusual punishment! Is that watermelon?" As tired as she was, she was even hungrier. She took the fork and claimed the biggest piece of the sweet fruit. Inu Yasha smiled as he admired how her face contorted in pleasure. This was Kagome in her purest: the simplest of things always made her happy.

"I see the pain it causes you." He chuckled as she took hold of the plate.

"Are we supposed to be sharing this?"

"I think that's why there are two settings." He laughed as he got the other fork.

"Who made this for us?"

"Huh, what are you talking about?"

"Do you expect me to sit here and believe that you would pick this breakfast? It's lacking your two basic food groups: Ramen and meat!"

"I eat more stuff than ramen and meat!"

"Yeah, ice cream, chips, candy…"

"Are you saying that I'm not healthy?" Inu Yasha glared.

"All I am saying is that I don't see you having a craving for watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, or…is that star fruit?" Kagome kept examining her plate. She was in her own little heaven.

"Keh, so what if Kagura made it! I could have done it too!" Kagome just smiled.

"Kagura…isn't she Sesshomaru-sama's wife?"

"Yeah-I mean no…How did you know?" He asked her as she gave him a long stare.

"L.B. told me."

"She talks too much."

"I think she talks just enough. So, your brother's wife made this for us?"

"No, she made it for you and her…"

"For me and her…why?"

"Well, there was a little confusion this morning, and a little rumor spread around about you being my girlfriend."

"Rumor…how much did it spread?"

"Nothing I couldn't contain."

"But I want Kagome to be my new mommy!" Shippo's wailing seeped through the door.

"Oh, really?" She gave him a hard look.

"Look, the kid came in this morning wanting breakfast and saw us sleeping together…He assumed you were his new mommy! Excuse me if I agreed to comfort you last night! If I had any clue Shippo would get the wrong idea this morning, I would have flatly refused." Inu Yasha grumbled.

"About that…" Kagome looked at her hands suddenly very embarrassed. "Thank you…it…it was important for me." Kagome suddenly felt tears on the brims of her eyes and scolded herself as she willed them back.

"Don't mention it, love." He said relaxing his position. She slowly looked up at him with an annoyed smirk.

"Inu Yasha, how many times have I told you that I don't like to be called wench, bitch, sweetheart, and, most of all, love?"

"Keh, I would think that would be the word that least bothered you." He slightly blushed as he realized what word had slipped through his lips.

"You know my philosophy: 'don't use it unless you mean it.' It just bothers me how worn out that word has become. Do you realize how many women use it to describe their feelings for ice cream and their husbands? Probably just about the same as the number of men that use it to describe their feelings for their wife and their car! Our vocabulary isn't that meager!" Kagome lectured. Inu Yasha just smiled enjoying the sudden flush of her cheeks and the sparkle in her eyes. He preferred her this way.

"Fine, woman, you win! I will not call you love," he leaned in and whispered in a husky voice, "unless I mean it." Kagome suddenly found it hard to breathe as she sat under the scrutiny of his golden eyes. She didn't understand why her heart skipped a beat or why there was suddenly an urge in her gut to hug him. Inu Yasha couldn't help but enjoy the deeper red that bathed her skin. "She looks so pretty when she's nervous." Inu Yasha observed a second before her arms wrapped around his torso. He felt himself flush as he wrapped his arms around her in response. The scent had return and with it another more dangerous one. He growled deep in his chest trying to keep his head clear. "Damn bitch went into heat!"

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

"Hi, you must be Kagome! I'm glad the clothes fit." Kagura smiled as she saw the young miko approach the pool. She had been dying to become acquainted with her future sister since the day Sesshomaru came home early to celebrate his newest finding.

"Hi, you must be Kagura!" Kagome smiled. She was a bit lost. After Inu Yasha showed her where the shower was and gave her a spare set of clothes, he left telling her he would be back for her later. Unfortunately, the miko was never the patient type, and she decided to go exploring, and her sense of direction quickly abandoned her. "Thank you for lending me the clothes." She was now wearing white tennis shorts with a matching top, and for the first time in her life she realized why people looked at labels: they made you feel like a princess.

Kagura was sitting by the juice bar with her legs crossed, sporting a red bikini with a matching shall around her waist. Her hair was up in a bun and long dangly earrings grazed her ears. With her designer sunglasses and old fashion fan, she looked like the staple of chic elegance.

"It was the least I could do after the entertainment you provided this morning." Kagome quirked her eyebrow. "It's not everyday Inu brings a girl home…it was quite a commotion." Kagura explained.

"I'm sorry to have caused problems."

"Oh, no silly. You didn't cause any problems. The people in this house are so busy with work that we need some excitement to bring us out of our routine! It was greatly appreciated by the younger generation." Kagura laughed as she fanned herself carelessly. Kagome took a moment to examine the laughter coming from the pool. Sesshomaru was throwing a little girl with black hair into the water as another one with white hair was whining,

"Me next! Me next!" Shippo, on the other hand was floating around in his life vest as he tried to keep up with the older girls.

"But you still find time for the children." Kagome admired. Kagura followed her stare.

"How can you overlook them? They aren't exactly quiet children." Kagura joked.

"Are the girls yours?"

"Kanna is…Rin is Sesshomaru's late wife's daughter." Kagome took a look at the girls, even though the white haired one looked nothing like Kagura, she reasoned that Rin must be the dark haired one. After all, Kagome and she were the only humans there. "Though, I guess you can say that they are now both ours." Sesshomaru gave his wife a look that seemed to speak volumes to her. There was definite love between the two. "We are now definitely a family." Kagome sighed longingly with a sad smile on her lips.

"I wish I could find love like that someday." She thought to herself. "Though, I would be happy with a man that could be a good father to Souta and a good husband to me. With a small boy, love is a luxury I cannot afford, and it's not like you can find it anywhere. What are the chances that my soul mate is going to walk up to me and take me away to a happier tomorrow?"

"Hey, Kagome," Inu Yasha walked up to her, "I've been looking all over for you. Come on, I want you to meet my father."

Kagome chocked, "Father?"

"Yeah, he thinks it's rude of me to have guests in the house without properly introducing them to the family." Inu Yasha rolled his eyes.

"It is!" Kagura protested. "And where have you been keeping this treasure hidden?" She pointed to Kagome. "You bring home those airhead bimbos and keep this charming young woman to yourself! Honestly, I am going to start to think you didn't want to share her with us." Kagome just blushed.

"I wanted to spare her your attention…ignore her if she says anything rude. She hates me and enjoys insulting all of my guests."

"That is not true Inu, and you know it!"

"You know I hate when you call me Inu!" he growled.

"I love the boy." Kagura turned to Kagome. "He is so easy to tease. Unfortunately, he insists in dating these…oh, how should I put it…brainless dolls? He could do so much better than that! So I take it upon myself to get rid of those weeds!"

"Then I should be flattered that you don't think me a weed." Kagome smiled as Inu Yasha turned red.

"See, she is smart. That is all I ask in a girl that Inu dates. Well, that she have a brain and a nice personality. All he seems to ask is for her to have large breasts."

'"I do not!" Inu Yasha protested as he pulled Kagome away. "Ignore her; she seems to have gotten too much sun." Kagura smiled as she approved of the defensive way Inu Yasha took Kagome away. She turned her attention to her husband, who was laughing at her charm. She just blew him a kiss in defense.

"I can't believe that charming woman would insult anyone, Inu Yasha!" Kagome protested as Inu Yasha led her into the house. Kagura smiled: she was definitely going to like her new sister.

"Apparently we did not just have the same conversation!" Inu Yasha growled as they turned the corner into the main hall. "Damn, I forgot the stupid pictures. Wait here, and this time don't wonder off!" Inu Yasha barked as he retreated into another hall. Kagome just sighed as she examined the elegant marble and feudal tapestries that adorned what seemed to be the main entrance of the house. She began to walk deeper into the room without thinking of Inu Yasha's words.

"Come in child!" A loud commanding voice echoed out of one of the open doors she silently passed. She turned towards it and hesitantly entered the room. Before her was a man with hard golden eyes seated behind his desk like an old king. He had Inu Yasha's rough edges with all of Sesshomaru's grace: the perfect combination of the two brothers. "You must be Kagome, but do come in. I don't bite." Kagome took a deep breath to relax her nerves. Before her was the most powerful man in Japan, perhaps of all of Asia, and she was nothing but a simple employee that had, somehow by a strange twist of fate, landed in his house. She took the first step into the office with as much strength as she could muster.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"Damn, where did she go, now?" Inu Yasha growled as he returned to the corridor. He heard light laughter coming from his father's office. "No, no, oh Kami-sama, anything but that!" Inu Yasha made his way to the office having his heart broken at the site of Kagome sitting by his father looking at an old photo album.

"This is Inu Yasha after he tried to take his first bath alone!" Inu Shantino laughed at the memory, "he flooded the entire bathroom, and then refused to put his clothes on. I threaten to take his picture naked to show all the pretty girls he brought home, and he replied, 'Keh, like I care! Girls are yucky!'" Kagome and Inu Shantino began to laugh again.

"Father," Inu Yasha growled. The two raised their heads to see the hanyou for the first time.

"What? You should know better than anyone else that I always do what I say!"

"You have no right to show my naked ass to everyone that comes into this house behind my back! I don't see you doing that to Sesshomaru!"

"The only reason for that is because he was too grown when photography became available."

"Don't feel so bad Inu Yasha. These are really amazing pictures, and I hear that every parent does it."

"Oh, so your mother showed your naked pictures around to your boyfriends." Kagome's smile faltered a bit.

"She never got the chance, but," she smiled again, "that doesn't mean I don't have about two boxes of embarrassing pictures in my attic."

"Oh, really?" He gave her his classic smirk.

"Oh, no you don't! Not even Souta knows where I've hidden them!"

"Keh!"

"Stop whining and be grateful that you have such wonderful pictures to remember your childhood by. The aging and the quality…these look like they belong in a museum! Ohhhhh, how adorable!" Kagome gasped as she turned to see a picture of an angry five year old Inu Yasha. His arms were folded in front of him, his eyebrows were knotted in disapproval and his ears were downcast. She imagined it had something to do with the oversized kimono he was wearing. She smiled as she looked up to see him standing in front of her with the same expression. She sighed happily as she realized, "the cutest ones never grow up." His eyes met hers, and she felt a tug at her stomach as she blushed. Suddenly, her whole body had grown warm. He locked his eyes with hers as he declared,

"I will have my revenge!" She felt that tug grow stronger as she smiled defiantly,

"I would like to see you try."

"Sir, Lord Naraku has just driven up, demanding to speak with his daughter." A voice from the intercom broke the tension between the two.

"Send him to my office." Inu Shantino sighed. "Damn that bastard! And just when the show was getting good." He turned to Kagome, "I am sorry, but will you excuse me. This is pressing business."

"Of course."

"Inu Yasha, take her with the children. I will bring the album there. I am sure that Shippo would love to see those pictures as well."

Inu Yasha growled and led Kagome out of the office as Naraku entered the building. He seemed not to notice them, but Kagome did not fail to perceive the dark aura around him. She began to play with the jewel on her neck nervously as Inu Yasha put an arm around her reassuringly. She couldn't help but feel safe in his arms. They passed the man in the corridor and Kagome felt their auras repel each other. There was a large bang that rang through the entire house as every bit of glass shattered. An eerie silence engulfed the mansion for the seconds that followed, as everyone held their breath in shock: everyone but one man.

"Kikyo," Naraku whispered as his eyes remained locked on the jewel she wore around her neck.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Wow, 16 pages! Not bad, huh? Well, I've been good. I took my GRE in Biology yesterday, and I studied for Biochemistry today, so I indulged myself in the completion of this chapter. This one I would like to dedicate to all my wonderful reviewers, 129 reviews!!!!! WITH 22 REVIEWS JUST FOR CH. 11!!!!!!!! I didn't think I would get this many! Special thanks to Sailor Star Sakura and Sakura onto Hitomi for being my 100 and 101 reviewers! Thank you all so much for your wonderful input!

Special thanks to Meche-Benz for correcting this chapter for me! Isn't she the greatest! Well, nothing new to report. Like always, don't forget to review. It keeps me motivated.