InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ Operation: Double Date ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inu Yasha is NOT MINE!!!!!!!! He belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

P.S. I HAVE NO $$$$$ SO DON'T SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

CH.11

By Sailor Scribe

"Remind me why I'm here again." Kagome whined with her jean jacket in hand as she followed Sango towards the Midtown Movie Theater. The late July heat was evident in the slight perspiration from the girls, but Kagome knew the minute they entered the air conditioned building, she would be freezing. Sango, intending of getting full use of her date, didn't bother with jackets.

"You are here because you are a wonderful loving friend that would not let me go on a date with a leech un-chaperoned!"

"Why are you going on a date with a leech?" Kagome asked as she failed to keep up with Sango's long stride. She had decided to go with her sophisticated knee length jean skirt and she borrowed Sango's white button down, corset shirt. Sango had opted for white capris with a rose colored halter top, allowing her full use of her legs in adjusting her stride.

"Because I lost a bet."

"Haven't you ever heard of the saying, 'never bet more than you're willing to lose?'"

"I thought it was a sure thing,"

"Haven't you ever heard of the saying, 'there is no such thing as a sure thing'?"

"Haven't you ever heard of shutting up?" Sango retorted angrily.

Kagome thought about it a moment and then replied,

"No. Anyhow, what am I suppose to be the third wheel or something?"

"No, Miroku will have a friend for you."

"What? Oh, hells no!" Kagome came to a full stop half a block from the theater.

"You are sounding more like Inu Yasha every day!"

"Sango, how could you?"

"What?" Sango turned towards her.

"This is just an excuse to get me dating again! Kami, Sango, you would think that you would learn not to meddle in my life!"

"You know not everything revolves around you!"

"It was the same thing in high school! 'Dump Hojo because I, Ms. Perfect, think he is too boring for you! Date Andre because I said so! Kagome trust me, you will be much happier if I lived your life for you!'" Kagome imitated the older girl's voice. "I am not so damn desperate that I need you to trick me into going into a date!"

"No, but I am!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Damn it Kagome! I like Miroku! I like him a lot, but the damn baka is too stupid to know how to behave! This is the opportunity of a lifetime for me, but I can't let him think he has me! He has to earn me, so I play hard to get, and I figure who better than my best friend to help me. Besides, I warned the pervert to get his nicest best behaved friend." Sango looked away with hurt in her eyes.

"Fine, I guess it won't hurt me to go through with this, but only this once!" Kagome put her foot down firmly.

"Thank you!" Sango cheered and gave her friend a hug as she congratulated herself on an Oscar winning performance.

"So, who is his friend?"

"Well, I don't know, but he doesn't have many well behaved friends!"

Kagome gave Sango a warning look, and the young model made it her mission to find safety within her date's arms.

"Sango!" Miroku signaled. The two girls approached, Kagome silently praying that she could somehow fake some disease or emergency to get out of this. "You look as beautiful as ever."

"Keh, you say that to her every time you see her!" Inu Yasha complained.

"That's because she is beautiful every time I see her!" Miroku retorted, taking Sango's hand. Kagome looked straight at Inu Yasha and asked,

"You are Miroku's nicest best behaved friend? Why do I suddenly feel sorry for Miroku?"

"Keh, that translates to I'm the only guy he knows that can keep his hands to himself."

"That's a relief. One less thing to worry about." Kagome smiled.

"What are we watching?" Sango asked.

"Inu Yasha is supposed to pick the movie." Miroku explained. Kagome looked up hopefully,

"X?"

"No, Miroku said you wouldn't like it."

"Baka." Kagome complained under her breath. Inu Yasha shot Miroku a deadly glare.

"The only thing that wasn't sold out for is Deadly Stares." Inu Yasha explained.

"I heard it was really good, with many layers of hidden meaning." Sango replied.

"A complex piece of art? Nice touch!" Kagome laughed as she let the boys lead them inside. Inu Yasha leaned closer and quickly took in Kagome's smell, and with a mental sigh he relaxed. She smelled like jasmine. "Inu Yasha?"

"What now?"

"Did you just…sniff me?"

Just because the movie was sold out, it didn't mean that half of Tokyowasn't there. Miroku and Sango found a pair of seats near the front, but Inu Yasha and Kagome had to sit two rows behind them. Miroku then made his quick run to the concession; from what Kagome gathered, it was another of Inu Yasha's conditions. "So how much did Miroku pay you to come on this date?"

"Oh, he has no idea, but I am going to milk him for what he is worth."

"So the idea of spending the night with me is that displeasing?" Inu Yasha choked. "Just kidding, Don Juan," Kagome laughed. "I'm here by force as well."

"So how much is Sango paying you to spend the night with me?" Inu Yasha turned tried to turn the tables on her but was instead greeted with one of her signature smiles. He felt his scowl gradually melt as she whispered.

"To tell you the truth, nothing; she is using good old fashion guilt-trip." They both laughed as Miroku approached them.

"Here you two go." He gave them a large popcorn and a large Sierra Mist.

"Hey, there are two of us here."

"But Yasha, this is suppose to be a double date; think how much more romantic it will be if you are sharing your drink." Miroku gave him his infamous lecherous smile.

"Except that Kagome drinks Diet Coke!" Inu Yasha growled.

"Inu Yasha, it's ok. I heard the movie is really long. I rather have nothing to drink." Kagome soothed.

"Keh." Miroku took this as the opportunity to retreat back to the safety of Sango's presence.

"Well?" She asked as he came back.

"They were talking and laughing at a private joke when I got back. I got them one large soda, so they would have to share…"

"Like you did for us?" Sango interrupted.

"Well, it is romantic, but you missed the best part. He knows what kind of soda Kagome drinks. Inu Yasha actually noticed something!"

"Oh, and you know what kind of soda I drink?"

"Of course, you don't drink soda because you are under a constant diet. You are only allowed to have water, but you rather have Pepsi." He said with a sexy smirk. He passed her the drink. "Don't worry; I'll keep your secret," he whispered into her ear. His breath made her slightly shiver. "Are you cold?" He asked putting his arm around her and pulling her close.

"Forty-five seconds and Miroku has his hands on her…that will be $10, and in five more seconds it will be $20."

"I don't think so; she is resting her head on his shoulder." Kagome replied as she and Inu Yasha, for lack of anything better to do, spied on their friends.

"OK, so we're even…Bet that as soon as the lights go out, they start kissing."

"Won't take that long."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, they're kissing right now."

"So now what are we going to do?" Inu Yasha complained as he threw popcorn at the couple, but failed to get their attention.

"First of all, let them enjoy their date."

"Keh!"

"Then we could watch the movie."

"Keh!"

"Plan how we're going to eat Miroku out of house and home!"

"K-I kind of like that one." Kagome smiled.

"And if all comes to worst…"

"Let's do it now!" Inu Yasha showed her his fangs.

"No, Inu Yasha." Kagome begged as he lifted the chair arm between them.

"You know you want to." He hovered over her.

"I'm still sore from last night! You're too rough with me!" Kagome whined as an old lady began to give them strange looks. Inu Yasha let his claw trace the side of her arm as it came down to her hand.

"I thought you liked it rough!" he whispered as his hot breath fell on her bare neck. He felt her swallow hard as her scent changed to show how nervous she was becoming under his touch. As much as she tried to pretend to be so much more mature than him, she could not turn down a challenge.

"What is it with you and thumb wrestling?" Kagome asked as she regained control of her heart beat.

"Don't know, must be the competition." He shrugged lightly seeing her flush. She covered her shivers by putting on her jacket, but not before Inu Yasha caught a spike in her scent. Among the jasmine and popcorn, there it was again: that undeniably female scent of hers that made butterflies dance in his stomach. He growled low, first in approval and then in disapproval as his father's words came back to haunt him. "I would never lose control and take her by force…I don't like her that way!" He reassured himself.

"Make you a deal, cowboy: we watch ten minute of the movie, and if it sucks, then we'll play, but if it's good, then you will give my thumb the night off. Deal?" An impish smirk danced on his lips and he pulled her close. Thoughts of her scent were now forgotten. With an arm over her shoulder so she could not get away and her wrestling hand locked with his, he eagerly turned to see the previews.

His wrestling thumb quickly became anxious with anticipation. Unable to remain still, it began to trace imaginary figures on her skin. His claw, like a pencil, softly traced symbols forgotten by man, symbols that once spelt his name. He became aware of his actions when he heard her sigh, and smiled as he notice how much smaller and graceful her thumb was compared to his. So delicate and fragile, it had to belong to an artist, but it was so much like her. It looked strong and determined, but was soft and gentle towards the world. It was a thumb that could easily become scarred, and therefore, needed to be protected by a larger thumb, one more callous used to the ways of the world: a thumb like his. His thumbs had known the hardness of life and could very easily out maneuver the unskilled ones like hers, but more importantly, they could protect hers. He led his thumb slide over hers taking in the softness of her skin. Her thumb slid from underneath his and crushed his against her hand with surprising force. The hanyou had to suppress a yelp. Then again, who said she was defenseless.

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

"Sir, the coast is clear." A man dressed in black radioed back to his van.

"Good, you know what to do," was the muffled reply. "Make it quick, we do not know how long the hanyou is going to be gone for. We do not need him catching our scent."

"Understood." He turned to his men hidden in the shadows and signaled quietly reminding them, "Naraku doesn't pay unless he sees results."

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

"That was a good movie." Kagome declared as they met up with their friends outside.

"Yes it was." Miroku smiled as he looked into Sango's eyes.

"Keh, you can definitely see that Evil Dead influence in all those tree scenes." Kagome smiled glad that Inu Yasha had gotten into the movie and forgotten about thumb wresting. Miroku and Sango seemed in their own little world. "Where to for dinner?"

"How about that little place where we had that business meeting with your brother?"

"Too dark!" Inu Yasha protested.

"Well, Katherine Megan Jones' new restaurant is opening, we can try that." Kagome offered.

"Who is Katherine Megan Jones?" Miroku turned to the miko.

"Only the internationally known star, who happened to star in the movie we watched tonight!" Kagome retorted.

"We saw a movie?" Miroku asked confused, and Kagome rolled her eyes.

"Guys, why don't we just go to Fire of Ice? It's only a few blocks away." Sango offered and Inu Yasha smiled.

"But Yasha and I had lunch there today."

"So, didn't you say that you could eat every meal of your day there?" Inu Yasha retorted. "Or, is it only when someone else is picking up the tab?"

"Fine, we'll go to Fire of Ice, but only if we order a volcano." Miroku smiled.

"Keh, like I would go there at night and not order a volcano." Inu Yasha snorted and Kagome looked confused.

"It's the place's signature drink." Sango explained. "Shall we?" she turned to the boys.

"Yo, Higurashi! Preciosa, is it you?" Kagome turned around to be engulfed in a giant hug from a charming young man with sparkling brown eyes and dark hair. Inu Yasha growled low in his throat.

"Carlos Pedro Urano? How long has it been?"

"Since I graduated!" He laughed as another girl approached the two.

"Eh chica!" The girl had matching facial features for the exception that she had a softer smile.

"Mercedes, long time no see."

"I see Carlos still can't keep his hands off you." She laughed and Inu Yasha's growl became louder as he subconsciously moved to her side. Seeing the couple turn to Inu Yasha, Kagome quickly reacted.

"Oh, silly me. Carlos, Mercedes, I want you guys to meet some really good friends of mine, Inu Yasha, Miroku and Sango. Carlos and Mercedes are old college friends. They are the Mexicans I told you taught me how to dance Quebradita." Kagome explained as she picked up a strange look between Carlos and Inu Yasha.

"Well," Mercedes turned to her friend. "Old is a relative word. I am definitely not old, but I am engaged." She held up her hand so Kagome could examine the exquisite sapphire.

"About time Carlos got the courage. I just knew you two couldn't do the traditional diamond."

"You'll get the invitation in the mail, but be ready; the wedding will be in December. Will we see you there?" Carlos turned to Inu Yasha after he was done speaking, as if he was measuring him up.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." Kagome smiled as she hugged her friends once again.

"Carlos."

"What, cariño?"

"Why did that man look at you that way?" Mercedes asked her boyfriend with concern after they had walked away.

"Like he was going to rip me to shreds? My guess is he was jealous."

"Jealous, you don't mean…is he good for Kagome? I know she always had the cutest guys running after her, but this one, he is too cute for his own good…and violent! I could sense his temper a mile away!"

"Is he cuter than me?" Carlos asked with a smile.

"Maybe." Carlos sighed. "But you are the one I love."

"No te preocupes. Don't worry; I got a good vibe from him. Mi abuelita would approve."

"Well if your grandmother approves, who am I to question."

"Well, we will know for sure in December, won't we?" They smiled as they turned the corner to Mercedes' house.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"Did you see how they kept eyeing each other?" Kagome laughed.

"Like they wanted to eat each other? Kami, it is obvious they love each other; why do they beat around the bush?" Inu Yasha took a sharp left.

"So we can laugh at them?" Kagome laughed in return. They had had a wonderful time at dinner, and sometime before dessert, they had left the young lovers to their own devices. Unbeknownst to them, they had fallen into their friend's love trap.

"How much you want to bet they are official in a week?"

"They'll be engaged in a month!" Kagome laughed harder.

"And they'll break up and get back together a hundred times before Miroku gets the nerve to ask." Inu Yasha joined in, but he noticed Kagome had suddenly become quiet. "Oi, what's wrong with you?"

"Nothing much…just that it seems that everyone around me is getting married."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, first Koga and Ayame, then Carlos and Mercedes, and now Sango and Miroku…"

"Well, those two are barely out of their first date."

"But they will end up together."

"So your friends are happy, and this makes you sad." Inu Yasha ran a yellow light.

"No, it's just that it's going to change things. You know; first marriage then babies…they are moving on…"

"And leaving you behind."

"Something like that."

"Do you ever regret sacrificing your love life in order to raise Souta?" Inu Yasha asked as he stopped at a red light.

"Never." She said sadly. He took her hand in his own and squeezed it. She looked at him and smile. "I have a wonderful family."

"And I am sure one day you will make some man a wonderful wife."

"How would you know?"

"Simple, I'm psychic."

"How about you give me the winning lotto numbers instead?" She laughed.

"Now if I knew the winning lotto numbers, why would I share them with you?" She hit him lightly over the shoulder. "Look bitch," Kagome gave him a hard look. "Hey, I'm a dog demon!" She rolled her eyes at him and he smiled noticing how flushed her cheeks had become. "Anyway, any man with half a brain would not pass up the chance to have such a good thumb wrestler for a wife." Kagome turned to him, but could not hold in the laughter. This was more like it. He pulled up to her driveway. "Speaking of thumb wresting…"

"Inu Yasha, for the love of Kami, no!" She raced out of the car, but he was behind her in one leap. His arms tightened around her waist as she struggled to unlock the door.

"Please. I promise to be a good Inu hanyou." Inu Yasha smirked as he found the miko's ticklish spot. She began to laugh as the door opened in front of her. She stumbled in, the dark surrounded her.

"Inu Yasha!" she tried to scold, but the hanyou's fingers were working their magic. Even with Inu Yasha's superior senses they still tripped their way to the couch as he landed gracefully on top of her. He couldn't help himself: her laughing was intoxicating. He moved his ears around and failed to shake the feeling that something was wrong.

"Where is Souta?"

"Sleeping over Kohaku's, why?" Kagome suddenly became nervous as she became aware of their position. Her eyes adjusted to the dark and saw what had caught her friend's attention. The television laid smashed on the ground; shelves' contents cluttered the floor, and the feeling of security the old shrine had always given her was now gone. Her home had been vandalized.

"They are gone…humans not demons, if it's any comfort." Inu Yasha stated as he helped Kagome off the couch, a single tear tracing her cheek.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

"I'm glad you agreed to come spend the night at my house." Inu Yasha stated as he showed Kagome to the guestroom in his section of the house. He stopped momentarily to see Shippo sleeping in his bed smiling softly.

"Are you sure no one will mind?"

"Yeah, to get Sesshomaru and me to stay in this house, my dad divided the mansion into sections, or houses. This is my house. It is independent of Sesshomaru's and my father's, but they all connect with the main entrance. No one will know you're here." Kagome smiled weakly as he led her into a room decorated in a blue airplane theme. "Shippo's friends are usually our only guests." He explained. He turned to her and noticed her visibly paler. They had spent the last two hours filling out police reports and trying to see if anything was taken. For all intends and purposes, it looked as if the house had just been ripped apart by a 7.0 earthquake. Kagome had barely spoken.

"Oi, woman! Don't look so damn sad! It's only airplanes!" He tried to get a rise out of her, anything would do.

"Huh, sorry, you said something." He growled disapprovingly at her.

"You weren't this bad last time."

"I didn't think it was personal last time." She countered.

"Huh?"

"I don't expect you to understand Inu Yasha, but that place, my home, is the only link Souta and I have to our roots. When they desecrated our shrine tonight, they desecrated my home; they desecrated me!" Inu Yasha put a hand on her shoulder trying to comfort her somehow, but lacking experience in the department. She sat on the bed and then looked at him with glassy eyes. "I draw my strength from those grounds. When I wanted to give up, it was the presence of my past love ones that gave me the strength to continue. That place always made me feel safe and protected, and now…"

"Now what?" Inu Yasha kneeled before her and looked at her tear stained face.

"I feel so vulnerable."

"This coming from one of the strongest women I know? If anyone is not vulnerable, it's you." He reassured feeling uncomfortable by the tears. Her head sank lower and he almost missed her words.

"Stay with me tonight…watch over me…please." Inu Yasha nodded and pushed her back onto the bed. He placed her head underneath his chin, wrapped his arms around her waist and trapped her legs with his. Her face was buried in his neck as she cried softly. Her warm scent was somehow reassuring him that he was doing the right thing. She had been through so much in so little time. Within a week's time, she had been run over by a truck, attacked in her own home and found her house had been burglarized. Everyone had a breaking point. He tightened his arms around her and kissed the top of her head before whispering,

"I'm here, love. Don't worry; I'm here for you."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Another chapter, another day I don't study for analytical, but after Friday, it'll be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For analytical anyhow. I have molecular, biochem and my thesis to go thru. Life sucks, then you die!

Thanks again to Meche for correcting this. I love you reviewers, almost at one hundred…so close! I will do back flips when I get there. Don't for get to read and review!!!!