InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ Denying the Demon ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See CH. 18

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

CH. 19

By Sailor Scribe

Inu Shantino grumbled under his breath as he glared at his office ceiling. He was lounging stiffly in his overstuffed leather chair as the stale air of his office began to nauseate him. "Too damn quiet!" he grumbled again, too far into his own misery that he failed to sense his eldest son entering his private chamber without knocking.

"Here." Sesshomaru dropped a yellow envelope on his father's desk allowing the pictures to slide out. "This should cheer you up." Sesshomaru took an uncomfortable seat across from his father. Inu Shantino's face did not indicate any change of emotions as he examined the pictures of his hanyou son with the young miko kissing on top of the Ferris wheel, arguing in front of a gas station, playing with Sota and Shippo at the beach, cuddling at the movies, arguing in the car, double dating with Miroku and Sango, arguing in front of the Shrine, etc.

"Why have they not come to see me yet?"

"It's not official."

"What is the idiot of my son waiting for, someone to take her away?"

"Actually, your son was smart enough to try and solidify the relationship, but the girl is hesitant."

"And she seemed so reasonable."

"She is. It is my brother's reputation that is the obstacle."

"Typical. Is everything else taken care of?"

"Hai: Shippo loves her; Kagura adores her; the girls are taken by her…"

"Her brother?" Inu Shantino interrupted.

"Idolizes the floor my brother spits on."

"Naraku?"

"Kagome has received harsh phone calls ordering her to sell the Tama and has received offers that would make your mouth drool."

"Does it make hers?"

"Quite the opposite: it fills her mouth with bile." The older man nodded before continuing.

"It has been three weeks; he is over due for something."

"Since he lost Kanna and Kagura, his organization suffered heavy loses in morale. Rumor has it that he is having trouble keeping them in line."

"What does our informant say?"

"Denies the whole thing, but the fact that we have a spy in his organization speaks for itself."

"It could all be a ruse to get us comfortable. I wouldn't put it pass him." The old man examined the pictures once more. "She sits too much."

"Not less than he deserves. There are very few accidental sits between them these days."

"What is my son thinking?"

"He takes after you. He likes his women feisty and hot tempered, except you never had to worry about a collar."

"Don't get fresh with me, boy. You very well know that your mother's right hook was as painful as any sit!" Sesshomaru chuckled. "Like you are any different? What are you doing in here, then?" His son visibly paled. "A woman planning a wedding is a dangerous thing to taunt, in particular, with only one week left." He watched the younger man lower his head. "It looks like both my sons take after me."

Sesshomaru growled lightly in retaliation. His father chuckled lightly before changing the subject.

"Is the security in place for the wedding?"

"Britney Spears would kill for security like this. No one without an invitation will be allowed within 100 meters of the estate. I even had Kagome test it out. She managed to get herself into some pretty rare places. Do you really think that Naraku would try something then? He has to know we will be prepared for him."

"His daughter betrayed him. She is getting married to the son of his greatest enemy. This is personal."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"It's one wedding Kagome; you don't need that much film." Inu Yasha complained as he lifted the block of film.

"Obviously you've never covered weddings." Kagome took out her credit card to pay.

"No. I wasn't allowed to take the pictures at his last wedding, either."

"Inu Yasha, get over it! You can't be the best man and the photographer at the same time! Kami, you would think that you don't trust me!"

"Keh, I could say the same thing!" Kagome released a frustrated growl, which Inu Yasha could not help but smirk at. They left store and returned to the whole sale district's busy streets.

"You have more film there than we use in three shoots."

"Well, think of it as four: the bride and groom pictures, the wedding, the reception and the after party. Normally, I don't need this much film to cover a wedding, but due to nature of who is tying the knot and the importance of the guest…"

"You know there is only going to be about a hundred or so guests."

"Look, this is also my present to them, and I want it to be perfect."

"Who's going to help you out?" Inu Yasha waited as she opened the trunk of her new black 2004 Mercedes M-Class SUV.

"LB and some of the guys from the paper." As Inu Yasha deposited the film, her cell phone rang. "Hey hun…nothing much. Getting ready for the wedding…This Friday? I don't know if I can. Hold on a sec, I'll check." Kagome pulled out her black leather planner that had kept her on track of all her appointments since she was a freshman in college. "What time again? I got a doctor's appointment at four…I don't know if I'll be out in time…and with the wedding on Saturday…sorry Hojo. I don't think I can make it. Thanks for asking though." Inu Yasha's ears turned towards her when he heard the name of a most annoying doctor.

"What did he want?" He blocked her way to the driver's seat.

"Well, aren't we the king of the rude!" Inu Yasha took a step forward, eliminating all distance between the two. "If you must know…" Kagome tried to back away and get around him, but his arm snaked out to hold her in place.

"I must." His voice was stern, hinting of anger.

"He is receiving an award this Friday, and he asked me to join him at the banquet."

"As in a date?" Inu Yasha's eyes began to take a more reddish hue.

"I guess you could call it that."

"What would you call it, then?" Kagome wasn't sure what was more petrifying, his red eyes or the calmness he spoke with.

"Dinner with an old friend." This seemed to calm the hanyou enough to let her pass, but now that they were both seated in the car, Kagome felt it was safe enough to pursue the conversation. After all, even a crazed hanyou knew better than to attack the driver of their vehicle, right?

"Any how, I don't see what the big deal would be if it was more than that." The hanyou growled at her comment as she pulled out of her parking spot. "Don't give me that, Inu Yasha! We are both adults, so let's behave like it. The fact is that you are NOT my boyfriend, and I am free to see other people, just like you are." She made a right turn as she felt his hand tightly grab her knee. She turned to face him, but his face was down, eyes hidden by his bangs. "Don't even try to guilt me. I know I am a passing fancy with you, and I should consider myself lucky that you seem to be exclusively seeing me at the moment, but I am not going to be stupid and think it is going to last. So you shouldn't worry too much over who I do or do not see while I'm with you." He growled again, and an agitated Kagome raised her eyebrow in distaste. "It's not like you have to worry about me getting sentimentally attached because I'm not. I'm a big girl, and I understand the difference between a boyfriend and a friend with benefits…granted you haven't gotten many benefits, but the point is still the same. I am big enough to understand we are both only passing the time, so stop trying to act like I really matter to you…Hey, that hurts!" Inu Yasha's grip on her knee tightened, forcing her to stop the car. She could only hear his low feral growl.

"Inu Yasha?" Kagome's voice was full of concern as the hanyou's pupil-less red eyes turned towards her and her heavy scent invaded his nostrils.

"Mine!" He growled low. Suddenly realizing her predicament, Kagome relaxed her knee and her body as a car behind her began to honk. Noticing the hanyou's agitation she quickly turned her emergency lights on. "Mine!" he growled again sterner, and for a moment Kagome was afraid he was completely lost.

"Yours." She agreed, noticing his body relax slightly. She moved closer with her head bowed in submission, trying to avoid his anger. She raised her head slightly and kissed his lips lightly. She regretted her actions the minute she felt him tense, but soon he relaxed into her arms.

"Kagome?"

"Inu Yasha?" She looked up into his golden eyes and sighed in relief. "Don't do that again!" She sat straight and drove on before the cops could stop her.

"Kagome?" He sounded so scared and lost as his hand, which had never left her knee, relaxed. She placed her hand above his and intertwined her fingers with his without moving it. When she managed to steal a glance at the hanyou, he had regained his stern composure and had an unnerving look of determination in his eyes, but his hand still held hers clingingly. She sighed as she turned the car towards the Morrimotto mansion and asked herself,

"What happened?"

*_*_*_*_*

"You summoned me?" Bankotsu asked shoving his hands inside the pockets of his light white denim jacket.

"Ah, my friend, it has been too long since you and I had a little fun." Naraku chuckled.

"Whatever." He shrugged as he leaned against the doorway to the hanyou's office.

"I have an important assignment for you."

"Does it involve Morrimotto?"

"Yes, but not the one you think. I need you to ensure that the newest addition to the family has a proper welcome." Bankotsu looked up in surprise.

"But-your daughter?"

"No, I have no daughters!" The hanyou began to laugh darkly as he caressed the picture of the late miko that now had a new silver frame. "Make sure she thinks of me when it happens." He ordered as the human took his leave.

*_*_*_*

"Dad!" Inu Yasha stormed into his father's office as the older Inu Youkai discretely pushed the pictures into an open drawer.

"Now, Inu Yasha, what do I owe this rude entrance?"

"His lack of manners." Sesshomaru suggested from his seat. The hanyou growled, still feeling the effects of his almost complete transformation.

"Son?"

"What is happening to me?" Inu Yasha demanded. "First her scent, and now this?"

"What provoked it?" His brother stood, noticing the unstable aura around Inu Yasha.

"I'm not sure. It had something to do with Kagome denying that she has any feelings for me…denying that I have none for her."

"Conflict of interest." The Lord explained. "You want her as a mate, but she refuses you, even after you prove worthy. By denouncing your claim as fraudulent, she basically said you weren't good enough for her. Your demon blood apparently did not agree."

"Did you harm her?" His brother raised an eyebrow as a damage control plan began to form in his brain.

"Thank Kami, no." He passed a shaky hand through his hair trying to regain his bearings. Though he had seemed well with Kagome, he was, in reality, very frighten of what he could have done. "Luckily, she realized before it was too late…"

"Did she purify you?" His father asked in concern.

"No…I'm not sure, but I am almost sure she just started agreeing with me…then she kissed me."

"She kissed you?" the other two men asked in unison.

"When I woke up…we were kissing."

"Did she realize why you turned?" Sesshomaru asked as he continued to formulate his contingency plan.

"I don't think so…?" The hanyou looked up at his father, "Dad, what would have happened?"

"You would have most likely taken her by force, unless she resisted enough to run. Then, you would have tried to kill her until she submitted."

"If she didn't submit?"

"Then you would have killed her."

"I can't let that happen!"

"Where is she now?" Sesshomaru interjected.

"With Kagura."

"Good. Kagura is sure to calm her down."

"And the three of us must find a way to ensure this never happens again." Inu Shantino added.

"But there is no way I can walk around with a sword all the time. People would ask questions!"

"I think father was thinking of getting Kagome to accept you as a mate."

"I'm working on it, but even a month later…damn, everything seems so wonderful, and then, when I think I'm finally getting somewhere, she turns frigid and pulls something like today! Saying she is allowed to date who she wants!" Inu Yasha growled as his eyes flickered into a reddish color.

"Relax, boy. Your aura is too disturbed."

"Maybe he should hold it while he is in the house." Sesshomaru suggested.

"Hai. Send Jaken to retrieve it. In the mean time, we need to discuss an effective courting stragety for our miko friend."

*_*_*_*_*

Kagome waited patiently on the line to the bathroom, the one hassle first class failed to eliminate. "Only a few more hours, and I will be home." Kagome stretched and laughed at herself. She loved New York, and even though she kept an apartment there with her fiancé, it was not her home. No, her home was wherever her love ones were, and today, the man she loved the most was in New York.

"Funny how realizations come to people in the weirdest of places." She thought to herself as she heard the water run behind the close door. "To think that it is three years to the day since that conversation with Kagura…the one that changed the course of my life forever, but then again. That was the year of revelations and change. I was never the same after that…I still wonder about that conversation. Did it change my life for the better, or for the worse?"

*_*_*_*_*

"Kagura?" Kagome asked as she stepped into the older woman's office holding a white box half her size.

"Kagome! What a nice surprise! What are you doing here?"

"Dropping off your dress…the delivery guy was out front when I got here." Kagome spoke with her usual cheeriness abandoning her words.

"Is there something wrong?"

"I know that I shouldn't bother you with your wedding only a few days away, but I didn't know who to else to talk to." Kagome sobbed, and Kagura quickly led her to her comfortable couch.

"Is it about Inu Yasha?" She watched the miko nod. "What did the idiot did now?" Kagura asked exasperated.

"Kagura, what can cause a hanyou to turn full demon?" The yukai's eyes widened in surprise.

"Near death experience, a rush of adrenaline, severe emotional distress, a severe challenge to their demonhood."

"It is severe…the cause is severe, right?" Kagome desperately asked.

"Yes, it tends to happen in severe situations…Kagome, what happened? Why are you asking me this?"

"This morning, while we were driving…"

"Completely?"

"No! Thank Kami he came back, but he was right there…red eyes and all…I can't believe I didn't sense the shift in his aura."

"What happened? Were you in an accident? Were you attacked?"

"We were just talking!" Kagome stood up in protest, as she started to ramble.

"We were having a normal conversation…well, he was a little quiet, but it wasn't enough for him to go off the deep end!"

"What were you talking about?" Kagura stood and poured the miko a glass of water.

"Stupid things."

"What stupid things?" She offered her the drink.

"We got into a little argument because an old friend asked me to go to an awards ceremony with him…"

"As in a date?"

"Kami, what is everyone's obsession with me dating! I have no commitments! I'm allowed to go out with male friends, even on dates!" Kagome protested. Kagura was suddenly enlightened.

"Did you tell him this?"

"Yes?" Kagura took a deep breath.

"Don't worry about Inu Yasha. But I think you need to start taking this relationship of yours a little more seriously."

"But there is no relationship!" Kagome protested as Kagura guided her towards the couch again. "We are just friends who have been on a couple of dates. In a couple of weeks, he will be tired of me!"

"How long have you been telling yourself that?" Kagome looked at her in shame. "Why can't you just accept that he does like you, and that you like him?"

"I can't!"

"Why not?"

"Because!"

"Kagome, because isn't being fair to either of you two!"

"Kagura, you wouldn't understand…"

"Try me."

"It is easy for you to say! You have no doubts that the man you love loves you back!" Kagome covered her mouth in surprise. What had she said?

*************************************************************** ****************************************

I know. You all hate me because of my cliffhangers! But you all keep coming back for more. Again, short chapter, but hey, quick update. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME REACH FOUR HOUNDRED REVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can all thank Meche Benz for this chapter since I wrote it as a reward for doing all her homework. By the way, can you guys help us answer this one question. Who is worse, the reviewer that begs me to update daily, or Meche, who knows what I am planning to write in every chapter and still whines when I take longer than a day to update?

Thanks Meche for all your help editing this chapter, and I'm glad you like the car that Kagome now drives in your honor.

P.S. I am going on Spring Break at the end of this week, so you guys may not here from me for a couple of weeks, but no, this story isn't over yet.