InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ A Mind's Game ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inu isn't mine, but this plot is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

Ch. 22

By Sailor Scribe

"In other news, a young boy was kidnapped earlier today by three unknown assailants as he was leaving his soccer practice. Mimiko Kayoo has the details."

"Thank you Rouyakan. Earlier today, three unidentified men pulled up to the street behind me in a black unmarked van. They jumped out of the van, shoot three warning shoots and forced a twelve-year-old boy into the back. The boy has been identified as Souta Higurashi, Stonewall to his teammates. According to the authorities, the abduction took place in front of the boy's legal guardian and sister, Kagome Higurashi, who was unable to reach her brother in time due to the commotion. Though the family has links with the high profile Morrimottos of Tokyo, at the time, it is not believed that the kidnapping had any connections to them. Speculations are flying on who or why kidnapped this young child. His teammates are convinced it was the opposing team trying to fix tomorrows Finals."

Miroku angrily threw the remote at the television, successfully shutting it off. "Sure, a group of thirteen-year-old soccer players are going to hire gunmen to kidnap the opposing goalie!" He heard a gasp from behind him, and fearfully turned towards the frightened girl standing on the doorway. "But I am sure that they didn't hurt him, Kag." She just broke down crying. "I'm such an idiot." He sighed.

"Keh, you can say that again." Inu Yasha grumbled as he came up to the trembling miko and pulled her into his arms. It had been five hours since the kidnapping, and they still had not received word from Naraku. They had made base at the Morrimotto house, which was now packed with police officers. They had the telephone company forward all calls to the Shrine there, so they could easily monitor all movements. Inu Yasha would have preferred to deal with the situation privately, but due to the public nature of the attack, they could not hide from the authorities.

"This is all my fault." The girl sobbed, her face buried in his red shirt. "If only I hadn't stopped to get extra cash…if only I had listen to Kagura's warnings. Why, oh Kami, why did I believe I could protect him?"

"It's not your fault…It's mine." The hanyou quietly confessed into her ear. "I wasn't aware enough…I should have realized the shoots were aimed at a different direction…I failed you both."

"Don't say that!" Kagome looked up. "There was nothing you could do that you didn't try. You aren't Superman you know."

"Neither are you." He kissed her softly, and watched her relax into his arms. "We'll get the bastard. I won't fail you again."

"You never have." He kissed her again before being interrupted by Shippo.

"Inu Yasha? Is Souta going to be alright?"

"I don't know squirt, but if I have anything to do with it, he will. Why aren't you upstairs with your cousins?"

"Kohaku is there."

"I thought you liked him."

"He's crying…it's weird. I thought guys weren't supposed to cry."

"Well, it is ok to cry when someone close to you disappears or goes away." Kagome soothed. Shippo sniffed before the tears began to escape his eyes.

"I don't want Souta to go away like mommy and daddy did." He began to wail, and Kagome scooted him into her arms before holding him tight and rubbing his back affectionately.

"Neither do I." She confessed as her tears began fall. Inu Yasha wrapped his arms around the two, in a surprisingly easy hug. This was his family, and they needed him.

"Damn you Naraku!" Inu Yasha growled.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kagome patted little Gregory on the head as he napped next to her. He looked so much like her brother when he was that age. Souta. He had been the only reason she kept going after her mother and grandfather died. She had a promise to keep, and with Kami as her witness, she would. She would protect him, raise him, and above all, she would love him. When Naraku took him away…she had never felt so helpless. She sighed tirelessly.

"They are a handful." Drake commented from her seat.

"Yes they are." She turned to the boy's mother.

"Are you planning to have any soon?"

"When Kami sends them, I will welcome them." Kagome smiled.

"Take some time to be newlyweds…it's hard enough to adjust to add the baby as well."

"I have a feeling my fiancée won't be willing to wait…if it were up to him, we would have been married three months after we started dating."

"Sounds like my husband."

"Mommy…" Gregory looked up, "I need to go potty." Drake excused herself, and Kagome turned to think of what her future children would look like.

"Souta," she sighed again. "I want one of them to look like you."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Sir, there is a miko by the name of Kaede at the gate…she claims to be a friend of Miss Higurashi. What do I do?"

"Let her in, Andray." Inu Shantino turned to his son. "How is she holding up?"

"As can be expected: strong façade, weak inside." Inu Yasha answered from his side of his father's desk. "Have you located Sesshomaru?"

"They were laid over in Hong Kong, but they won't be able to get back here until tomorrow morning. Your contact?"

"Hasn't reported to me yet, but it won't be much longer." Inu Shantino looked at his watch.

"It's five thirty."

"So?"

"The sun will set in a few hours…if you get the information too late, you won't be able to go."

"Says who?" Inu Yasha grumbled.

"Your human blood, and without you, I don't want to send her in."

"Keh, I will be able to protect her."

"Naraku isn't stupid. He will make his move while your brother and sister are away…Our pack broken, we are the most vulnerable."

"But, it's not like he knows my human night!"

"Then I guess he is going to get lucky!" Inu Shantino growled back. "I lost you once. I refuse to lose you again!"

"Keh, I won't die that easily." Inu Yasha stood up and prepared to leave his father's office.

"Boy, be careful." His father smiled sadly. His baby boy had grown up so fast.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

"Kaede!" Kagome hugged the older woman. "Thank you so much for coming."

"Nay child, there is no other place I rather be. Any news?"

"Nothing…no calls, no anonymous tips, nothing." Kagome led Kaede towards the living room through the main hall, which was filled with police officers. They had set up base in Kagura's office and were now making themselves useful by looking busy.

"Do you think they will return the kid alive?" One asked another.

"They hardly do…Statistically, the kid is already dead." Kagome gasped at the cold words for them officers, as tears stained her cheeks once again.

"Do not listen to these buffoons, child. Ye know thy brother better than that. He is a resourceful little lad and will survive this incident like he has survived so much more." Kaede rubbed her arms affectionately and pulled her aside. "And to ensure that the monster that has done this shall meet his much worthy fate, I have a present for ye."

#####################

"Are you hungry?" Souta lifted his head up to try and see the voice that had spoken to him, but he was only greeted with darkness. He shivered lightly wondering if there was any light left anywhere in the world. He felt something land on his lap and jumped up with a shriek. "It's a WacDonald's Happy Meal." The voice explained. Even with the echo, Souta could tell it was a woman.

"Where am I?" He asked in a hoarse whispered, rubbing his throat from the sudden pain of talking.

"In a safe place."

"Where is my sister? Why did you take me?" With the raspy whisper of his voice, he doubted the woman had heard him.

"Your sister is probably with her boyfriend, and you were taken because she has something we want. Now, we have something she wants. Now, now," the woman cooed, "if she is willing to trade, no one will get hurt. It would be a shame to hurt such a nice head of hair like yours." The woman finished to herself as she walked away. In the midst of the cold and dark, Souta cuddled against the wall. The smell of food teased his stomach. He ate quickly, afraid they would change their minds and take the food away. Now that his stomach was full, his mind was free to wonder.

"Where is this place? How come there is no light? Am I underground?" Souta swallowed hard. "Am I buried alive, or am I already dead?"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Inu Yasha was surprised to see Kagome had changed into baggy cargo pants with many pockets, a black tank top and construction boots. The strong look of determination kept him from asking questions. "It's been six hours. What are they waiting for?" she asked as she paced back and forth in the kitchen.

"I don't know. Maybe, they are waiting for tomorrow…trying to get us to worry to death."

"Well, it's working!" Kagome snapped as his arms enveloped around her.

"We'll get him back; you'll see. He will be blocking goals in no time."

"Tomorrow is the big game." She stated without much emotion. "He's been preparing for it since he made the cut to be a bench warmer last year. He hasn't slept in two days because he was so excited…even if he didn't get to play, just to go to the finals and cheer his team on…" Kagome felt herself cry again and slammed her fist into the kitchen counter in frustration. "Damn these tears…they don't solve anything."

"Let it out, baby. I'm here for you." Kagome couldn't stop the tears as Inu Yasha became her legs and strength.

"You should have heard his voice when he called this morning. He was so happy…he hadn't sounded so happy since mom died." He held her tighter. "Why can't he be happy? Why can't he have a somewhat normal childhood?"

"I don't know."

"The police think he's dead." She whispered.

"The police are idiots."

"If he is…I will never forgive myself."

"He isn't." He held her tighter. There was something in the calmness of her voice that scared him.

"And I swear, I will stop at noting to kill that bastard, Youkai Council or not." He turned her so he could look into her eyes, but the angry determination he found there told him she wasn't backing down.

"Kagome?" Sango walked into the kitchen. "I came as soon as I could." The miko turned to her friend and hugged her tight. "It'll be ok. Things always work out in the end."

"I hope Kami listens to you." Kagome prayed as Inu Yasha quietly made an exit. Somehow, he knew that Sango would do a better job.

"He cares deeply for you." Kagome smiled at the other woman's words.

"I guess it is times like this you realize who your love ones really are. I am glad to see I wasn't mistaken."

"With Inu Yasha?"

"With all of you. Have you seen Kohaku?"

"No, not yet." Sango hugged her friend again before she left the miko to tend to her brother. Kagome looked around, she was alone, but she knew she wasn't facing this storm by herself.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Kohaku rolled over pretending to still be asleep when his sister came into the room. He had fooled the girls enough to get them to leave, even though Miroku hadn't been fooled, but the older male understood his need to be alone. His sister walked over to the bed and laid next to him, spooning him. "I am here for you." She didn't try to reassure him that everything was going to be fine, or asked how he was doing. What a stupid question! How was he supposed to be? Why did everyone ask him that? Everyone but his sister.

"I cried." He confessed embarrassedly.

"That's a good thing." She soothed.

"But men aren't supposed to cry."

"Real men are."

"Do they know anything new?"

"No."

"Will he come back?"

"I don't know." Sango held him tighter, and she knew he would soon fall asleep exhausted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ < p class="MsoNormal c36">Miroku sighed as he hung up another prank call. "How can people do these things?" He wondered. In the past fifteen minutes, the Morrimotto residence had been flooded with calls about Souta. He had been sighted in Vegas, on a bill board and on Mars. People needed to get lives! Some calls weren't as bad. They were of people offering support and prayers. For those he was grateful.

He wasn't particularly close to Souta, but that did not mean it didn't hurt him as well. If it had been Kohaku…Then there was the issue of his friends, and how they were suffering. He had seen Sango when she arrived, but was only able to speak with her for a few moments, the bags under her eyes quite evident. She had rushed to Kagome's side. Kagome, the miko that life loved to hurt. Hadn't that family suffered enough? He was hoping that now that she and Inu Yasha were together, things would get easier. Inu Yasha…seeing Shippo and Kagome suffer without being able to rip the cause of their pain to shreds was taking its toll on the weary hanyou. He sat on the couch and began to observe Kaede meditate. He knew she was casting spells to protect Souta and Kagome, but what he envied was her calmness.

"Ye can stare all day Houshi, or ye can join me." Miroku blushed at her words.

"I am afraid that I haven't been a good houshi in a long time."

"Now is a good time to start, don't ye agree?" Kaede responded. She had not moved or even opened her eyes since she started to speak.

"Hai." Miroku sat down next to her as they began to pray.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &

Bankotsu looked from the top railing of the dark warehouse onto the bolted door labeled private. He saw it slowly open, and Yura stepped out holding what seemed like wrappers from a fast food restaurant. She looked at him with tired eyes: had she ever looked so drained? This was the woman who was always up to raising hell, but somehow, kidnapping a twelve-year-old boy wasn't on her list of 'fun hell raising activities.' He couldn't blame her. They had sunk to a new low, even if they had not taken the kid themselves. He sighed and pulled out his cell phone.

"I don't get reception in here, either. I know; it's a drag." Yura came up behind him. "He ate well."

"That's good."

"He was so scared."

"Can you blame him?"

"Is it worth it?"

"Huh?"

"Is kidnapping this little boy in order to get your revenge worth it?"

"I don't know, but I have a feeling it isn't. There isn't anything we can do either."

**************************************************************

Sango sighed as she walked down the stairs. Kohaku had fallen asleep, and the count was now six hours Souta was missing. What was taking so long? She hated this waiting. She was a woman of action. She needed to move, to act, to kick the kidnappers' rear ends. She approached the living room where her boyfriend was meditating with Kaede. He looked so innocent like that, but the minute he opened his eyes, she saw the weariness behind them. "Nothing?" He asked. She shook her head. He sighed and began to meditate, and she envied him for his ability to keep himself busy.

"Ye can pray. It does a soul much good." The old miko spoke without hinting a change in her concentration. Sango smiled.

"I'm not they praying kind."

"We are all the praying kind."

"You are right." Sango sighed and joined them in prayer.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Six and a half hours!" Inu Yasha growled as he felt his demon powers continue to drain. "What the fuck is he waiting for?" His father sighed as he watched his son pace in his office.

"Shouldn't you be with her?"

"I can't."

"She does know, right?"

"I didn't want to worry her."

"Inu Yasha, you've been living with her for a month! How did you keep it from her?"

"Had a temper tantrum?"

"You can't hide forever!" His father growled holding back the desire to strangle his youngest son. "You are going to lose her if you don't trust her more." The older man warned.

"I trust her."

"But not enough to tell her about Kikyo or about your human night? What else are you keeping from her? Does she even know you love her?" The hanyou growled in response. "Women need to know Inu Yasha."

"She's a miko; she should know I have a human night." He protested.

"She is also your girlfriend and expects for you to let her into your life!" Inu Shantino scolded. "What are you afraid of?"

"Keh!"

"She loves you, Inu Yasha. She will accept you the way you are."

"How…"

"I know. I've been in your shoes, or do you forget I was a widow with a young son when I met your mother."

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Naraku waited patiently in his dark improvised office for the right time to call the miko. He smiled at the photograph of the other miko. "Soon, Kikyo, very soon." He went through his check list once again. "Kidnap the boy…check; dispose of the kidnappers bodies…check; dispose of the van…check; feed my fish…check; feed the boy…check; call the sister…pending." Naraku sighed. It had taken time to plan this attack: two months to be precise. Ever since he had received her file, he knew that the best way to get to her was through her brother. "Just like Kikyo." He chuckled. The plan had been executed perfectly. The hired gunmen waited until the miko was nearby, and they abducted the child quite publicly. "That should keep them busy with the police. How many times have you replayed the scene in your head, Kagome? How many times have you blamed yourself? Oh, if only I could see you wallow in your suffering." The hanyou chuckled.

Wanting the scent of her suffering to be close enough to taste, he decided, now would be a good time to call. He pulled out his disposable cell phone and growled at the lack of reception. "Yura!" The young hair youkai took her time in entering the dark office. "Where can I get a signal?"

"Bankotsu said the roof could work, but to be safe you probably would have to go a block towards inland."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Kagome stared down at her sandwich with a glare. She should eat it. Sango had made it for her, but as she sat in the shadows of kitchen, she failed to find an appetite. It was sunset, and she still had no word on Souta. The clock on wall behind her chimed seven times. "Seven hours and counting," she sighed. She jumped up scared as she felt her cell phone vibrate. "Hello?"

"Listen and do not speak. I have your brother, and I am willing to trade him for the Jewel. Come alone to 1533 Helios Street on the corner of Rome and Skitzoflame Avenue. Be here in an hour." The unidentifiable voice hung up. She sighed. Behind the voice she had heard her brother calling her. He was alive. Now, all she had to do was get Inu Yasha and come up with a plan. She was sure they could make it to the warehouse district in forty minutes the way Inu Yasha drove. She rushed to Inu Shantino's office without knocking, avoiding the looks from the police officers stationed across the hall.

"Inu Yasha!" She stopped frozen when she saw dark haired, violet eyed man go pale. At first, she wasn't sure what to make of it, and was about to apologize and step out of the office to find Inu Yasha, but then the man spoke.

"Kagome…" There was no mistaking that voice.

"Inu Yasha?" she choked. "You're human."

"Keh."

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked as she stepped up to him taking a piece of his black hair in disbelief. Inu Shantino watched from the safety of his desk.

"I didn't want to worry you…with what happened."

"How about before? You had to know this night was coming…we've been living together for over a month!"

"Kagome…" He tried to pull her close.

"Didn't you trust me?"

"I don't tell anybody…not even Miroku knows!"

"Don't you trust any of us?" She snapped, and he tried to hug her. "No-no, I need some air. I need to be alone right now." She raced out of the office. Why had he kept this from her? Why had he betrayed her that way? She didn't have time to deal with this right now. Her brother needed her. She walked towards the garage, where she knew the Morrimottos kept a motorcycle.

"Kagome?" She stopped at the door as she noticed Kohaku approach her with sleepy eyes. "Any word?" How could she lie to those big brown eyes?

"I'm going to pick him up right now."

"Can I go?"

"Sorry, not this time."

"Can I at least see you out?"

"Sure."

````````

"Have you seen Kagome?" a very human Inu Yasha asked as he entered the living room. Three sets of surprised eyes turned to greet him.

"No." Sango finally responded, as she noticed Inu Yasha walk up to a forgotten cap by the television and hide his hair in it. "You are human."

"Happens once a month." He replied as he went towards the empty kitchen. "Has anyone seen Kagome?" He screamed loud enough for the entire mansion to stop and stare at him.

"I saw her go to the bathroom before," a young police recruit answered. Inu Yasha rushed towards the closest bathroom. His father hadn't let him chase after her right away…something having to do with women needing time and space, especially one who had been a nervous wreck the entire day. He had assured Inu Yasha that things would clear up as soon as she was clam enough to talk to him, but he needed to be honest with her.

"Keh!" He grumbled before banging on the door of the bathroom.

"Is it that big of an emergency?" Kohaku asked as he stepped outside of the bathroom.

"Have you seen Kagome?"

"She left to pick up Souta."

"What?"

"About five minutes ago she took a bike and left."

"She couldn't! We haven't gotten word on Souta." Inu Yasha protested.

"Mr. Morrimotto?" A young police detective interrupted.

"What?" He growled.

"We have just gotten in contact with the telephone company. It seems Miss Higurashi has a private cell phone besides the one she uses for business. I was looking for her so we can prepare that line as well. Do you know where she is?"

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''

Sorry, Souta hasn't been rescued yet. More drama to come…oh, and by the way, how do you like the conflict that is beginning to arise between Kag and Inu? This isn't the end of it. Oh and yes, another cliff hanger. New goal: Every chapter from now to the big finally has to have a cliff hanger! Trying to squeeze everyone's name in, but there are so many of you….

See you in 1-2 years….just kidding. I mean, 1-2 weeks.