InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ The Thumb Wars Pathways ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See CH 1

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

Ch.21

By Sailor-Scribe

"Are you ready to go?" Sesshomaru asked as he picked up the last duffle bag. "You sure packed enough to last you three months!"

"I am, and you know half of that stuff is yours." Kagura stepped out of the bathroom and leaned against the door so her husband could admire her figure in her hug-loving Armani white slacks and matching silk white summer blouse. Her hair was still in a bun, and with the sunglasses and long dangling earrings, she looked like she stepped out of a James Bond movie.

"Well, you are not the only one in this family that looks good." He retaliated, as she smiled and stalked her prey.

"You can say that again…I would NOT have settled for anything less than perfection." She ran her fingers on the collar of his light gray linen shirt. "You color coordinated your clothes to your hair again."

"And you know you love it!" He growled lightly.

"You know…we could start working on those grandchildren before we leave."

"Our cut being five…I guess we really should start working on them." He smiled as he leaned in to kiss her.

"For your father's sake." She slipped her hands around his neck and pulled him in closer, only to feel a slight vibration coming from his chest. "If it only was your heart beating for me." She sighed as Sesshomaru answered his phone.

"This better be good." He growled as he threw his wife over his shoulder. "I was about to kidnap my new wife."

"Sesshomaru, put me down!"

"When?" The sudden seriousness in Sesshomaru's voice caused her to stop protesting. "Are they hurt?"

"Who's hurt?"

"I could care less about the damn car! I want to know how my brother and his wench are! …Well, were the children in the car? …Is there anything you do know?" He angrily closed his cell phone as his wife tugged his shirt. He placed her down and led her towards his father's office. "Father, there has been an accident. Inu Yasha…"

"I know. I felt the jewel react." Inu Shantino interrupted.

##################################

"Where are they?" Inu Shantino demanded as they entered Children's Hospital. Nurse Datchick looked up and recognized Sesshomaru.

"You must be here for your sister-in-law and brother."

"Yes, are they all right?"

"Sister-in-law?" Inu Shantino questioned.

"Talk to your son. I at least took my woman to Vegas. He just gave her a necklace."

"What are we…in the first grade?" Kagura complained. Nurse Datchick took one look at the well groomed family and decided it was going to be another long shift.

"They are still in the Emergency Room, and I am sorry to notify you that no information is yet available about their state. The doctor will be out in a few minutes. Would you please take a seat until then?"

Sesshomaru placed his arm around his wife as they sat down on an uncomfortable plastic bench.

"Morrimotto?" Hojo stepped into the waiting room. The three youkai approached him. "Inu Yasha and Shippo are fine. The boy is a little startled, but that's all."

"And Kagome and Souta?" Inu Shantino interrupted.

"I'm sorry; I am not allowed to speak about anybody outside of the family."

"She is practically my daughter-in-law!" Inu Shantino growled. Was this doctor that dense?

"Look, no one is in danger, and that is all I can say."

"When can we see them, Doctor?" Kagura interrupted before the men of her family ripped the young man to death.

"I can allow one of you to go back there."

"I'll go!" Inu Shantino declared, but the young woman stopped him.

"I'll probably be able to find Kagome as well as Inu Yasha." She cut him off. Hojo took the opportunity to disappear. Nurse Datchick approached them and looked at them in surprise.

"Weren't you allowed to go in?" she asked Sesshomaru in surprise.

"We were about to go in, but my wife is in the bathroom. Do you mind letting her know where we went?"

"Sure." She smiled as she took some files another nurse was offering.

"Where did you learn to lie like that?"

"While I was doing business with Naraku."

"You picked up one of his bad habits."

"No, I just learned how to bluff while playing poker." They quickly noticed Kagura holding a sleeping red headed boy in her arms, as she amiably talked to someone outside their view.

"How did you get them to let you back here?" Kagura asked as they approached.

"Your husband lied to a nice old nurse." He turned to face Souta and Kagome, who had a band-aid over her left eyebrow. "How badly were you hurt?"

"I am surprisingly well…I was just scratched when I was pulled out of the car. Do you know where Inu Yasha is…no one will tell me how he is."

"That idiot doctor said he was fine."

"What idiot doctor?"

"The same one that tended to you…your friend from high school."

"Hojo?"

"Hobo more like it!" Inu Shantino grumbled, not used to being denied anything.

"So that's where Inu Yasha gets it." Kagome sighed.

"What are all of you doing back here? I said only one person." Hojo sighed.

"We thought you meant per family member." Kagura replied flatly. "Speaking of which, where is my brother?"

"He is in x-rays, but even so, that would mean two of you would be allowed back here, not four."

"I count four members of my family back here." Inu Shantino insisted.

"Immediate family." Hojo protested.

"I'm sorry Hojo." Kagome interrupted. "But you know better than anyone that I have hardly any immediate family left…In fact, besides Souta, my surrogate family is all I do have. What happened to the man that used to believe that family was not defined by blood types?"

"He got yelled at by the administration." He sighed.

"Wait! Why is Inu Yasha in x-rays?"

"Dr. Woo said his shoulder might be slightly dislocated."

"Keh, like a simple car crash could hurt me."

"Inu Yasha!" Kagome jumped off the stretcher she was sitting on and ran past Hojo into her boyfriend's arms. "Are you ok?" She asked after she quickly kissed him.

"I'm always ok when you are in my arms." He smiled back. A throat cleared behind them. They turned to face Hojo.

"Since you all seem to be unharmed, I am going to let you go. But take the next few days easy." He gave Inu Yasha a 'you hurt her and I kill you' look.

"Keh, let's go before they change their mind."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Did you talk to the police?" Kagome asked as she placed a cup of hot tea in front of Inu Yasha and he relaxed on her couch.

"The tire print was generic, and the license plate number was a fake."

"But…I'm sure the car was the same one from the other night!"

"I know, but they can't link it. Naraku doesn't own Lamborghinis." They both sat in an uneasy silence.

"Oh, your father had this sent to you."

"My cell phone?" He flipped it open and saw one text message waiting. "Fuck!"

"What?"

"Missed an important call." He vaguely answered. "You look tired…"

"You don't look much better."

"Are the kids asleep?"

"Yes…they were a bit shaken up, but since they don't know about Naraku…"

"Shippo does."

"Huh?"

"Naraku was responsible for his parents death…we couldn't prove it, either." Inu Yasha sank in defeat. "We couldn't use the tape where he threatened Kanna because of his right to privacy…all his illegal businesses are done with seven degrees of separation…and he has a saint for an accountant! Damn, when will we get him?" Inu Yasha slammed his fist into her coffee table spilling the tea all over his hand. Kagome fell on her knees and took his burned hand into her lap. The burned skin had already begun to heal as she blew on it lightly. Inu Yasha watched her with bewitched amusement as she treated his hand like a Lladro figurine.

"We'll get him, Inu Yasha. But it will be pointless if we are not together."

"Huh?"

"What I mean is, be careful." She carefully dried his hand. "What good is it if you destroy Naraku at the cost of your life? If you can't celebrate victory with your love ones?" She looked away angrily. "You can be so careless about your own well being sometimes!"

"You-you are worried about me?" he asked the young miko in surprise.

"Of course I am!" Kagome stood her ground as she folded her arms in front of her.

"Did you really mean what you told Hojo? Do you really consider me family?"

"You doubt it?" She asked with a raised eyebrow as she noticed he hid his features in the shadows. He pulled her onto his lap, forcing her to straddle his legs.

"Then that makes you wifey." Inu Yasha smirked.

"Don't make me s-i-t you!"

"If you do, you'll break your couch."

"I'll work it off you. I am sure I can find many chores around this old place for a strong hanyou like yourself to perform."

"I know one."

"What?" He pulled her down until his breath was caressing her lips. She felt warmth spread across her body gingerly.

"Keeping the miko of the house happy," he whispered huskily. She parted her dry lips to moisten them with her tongue, at which, the hanyou took the opportunity to steel a passionate kiss. He held her against him, enjoying that feminine scent that embraced him instead of teasing him. She was his, without a mark, but she was his. His demon blood could savor this part of the courting ritual for it was modeled after a hunt. He felt her melt into his embrace and sigh lightly. She rested her head on his shoulder as she allowed his heart beat determine hers. It was safe and warm in his arms. His prey never stood a chance. She fell asleep laying on top of him, and he was reluctant to move her. He understood she needed her rest. He carried her lightly to her bed, where he laid her quietly. Grabbing her desk chair, he sat down next to the bed and guarded over her sleep. It had been his fault they had gotten into the accident. He had been too distracted to notice the black car, he had refused to stay at his father's, and he had forgotten to check his phone. He sighed as he re-read the text message,

"Hit on your new sister. Don't let them drive."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

"Your orders were simple." Naraku growled looking out the window.

"It was Sesshomaru's car…how was I suppose to know your daughter wasn't in it?"

"I don't pay you to make mistakes, Bankotsu!"

"Hey, the happy family landed in the hospital! So what if it wasn't your daughter! It was the next best thing…" Before Bankotsu could register Naraku's movements, he was hanging from Naraku's hand, as the hanyou crushed his windpipe.

"If she dies, the Shikon no Tama will disappear again! If I have to wait another fifty years for it to reappear, I will pass the time with you as my new play thing. Do I make myself clear?" Bankotsu nodded the best he could before Naraku released him. This was not good. Throughout the centuries, he had been the picture of perfect calmness, and now that victory was at an arm's length, he was losing his cool, all because of a pack of dogs.

"When I order someone to eliminate my daughter, I want her eliminated."

"Do you wish for me to follow her to Spain?" the younger man offered. "They are to leave first thing in the morning."

"No, but since she and her husband are gone, let's enjoy a good game of cops and robbers, shall we. They can be the cops that come home to find out they have been robbed of what is most precious to them." Naraku chuckled evilly while Bankotsu stared in dismay as he was told his assignment.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"You tried to kill her!" Yura cornered Bankotsu at the front door of her uncle's house.

"Do you need to see him today?"

"Don't change the subject!"

"Yura!"

"No, I came looking for you!" He grabbed her arm and led her to a black Lamborghini parked in the front circle of the house.

"Good. Get in!" He pulled out, and the minute he felt he was far enough from the house, he began, "I didn't want to do it."

"I asked you not to hurt her."

"I didn't have a choice. Your uncle is a very persistent man."

"And I am a very persistent woman!" She retorted crossing her legs. "Why can't you just let go of your obsession! Free yourself of Naraku and your hate for the hanyou!"

"I can't! I owe it to them to avenge their deaths. Yura, you know it better than anyone."

"Fine! You win."

"You lost me."

"Don't I always?" She smiled seductively before continuing. "You want revenge…I'll help you get it!"

"Yura, no. It means going against your family."

"Banky, you are the only one that matters to me, and if I can't get you to let go of that obsession of yours, then maybe if I can help you accomplish it…"

"Yura…you know how I feel about you."

"I'm not afraid to say it." She turned to face him liking her big red lips. "I loved you then, and I love you now, Banky." He made a quick one eighty, landing on the emergency lane on the opposite side of the road.

"Don't call me Banky!"

"And how are you going to stop me?"

"Let me show you." He pulled her onto his lap and, in the small confines of his car, learned all the secrets of her mouth once again.

'' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' ''

"Now we say: 'one, two, three, I declare a thumb war." Kagome explained to the little angel that had moved to sit next to her.

"Now wat?" he asked innocently.

"Now, you try to capture my thumb." She explained as his mother looked on from her seat. With all the commodities first class offered, little Gregory Jefferson-Moore the First provided the best entertainment. She pretended to let him capture her thumb before slipping from underneath his surprisingly strong grip and capturing his thumb.

"Shoot!" He protested before they started another game. This time, Kagome let him get away before she allowed him to win. "This game is fun. Again?" Kagome smiled remembering her old thumb war partner. She felt her heart sadden as she realized what anniversary tomorrow would be: the last time they played thumb wars…

***********************************

The sun rose slowly into Kagome's room the next morning, admiring the ever vigilant hanyou watching over his miko friend. He sat with his legs on the edge of her bed, arms folded across his chest, and head lowered, as if he were in deep sleep. She stirred and moaned lightly trying to subconsciously cover her eyes from the sun, and his ears twitched in response. Her eyes fluttered open and she cursed the early hour. How had she forgotten to pull the shades down last night? She slowly smiled as she saw a pair of golden eyes staring at her.

"Do you have such a dirty mouth every morning?"

"Wouldn't you like to find out." She teased as she moved over to make room for him on her bed. She secretly congratulated herself in having upgraded to a bigger bed last year. She doubted that they would have fit in her old one. He slipped his arms around her small frame taking in her intoxicating smell. Lowering his head, Inu Yasha brushed his lips against hers lightly, earning a tired smile from his girlfriend.

"I wouldn't mind being the one to clean it either." He joked as she laid her head on his chest enjoying the relaxing rhythm of his heart.

"You didn't have to watch over me."

"I know."

"You didn't have to stay on that uncomfortable chair."

"I know."

"You look like a young Carrot Top when you do that."

"Did you get a head injury in the accident."

"Just making sure you were paying attention."

"Keh. So what do I look like when I watch over you?"

"Like you…hey that hurt!" She complained after he pinched her. He gave her a smirk and she laughed. "You look terribly sexy and hot." She mocked. "But you already knew that."

"Doesn't mean I don't enjoy hearing it from your beautiful lips." She snorted lightly. "Careful, you are beginning to sound like me."

"You know what I just noticed, Inu Yasha?"

"That you are terribly lucky to be in my arms?" He asked as he absentmindedly stroked his fingers through her hair.

"No…"

"So you knew that before." He yawned.

"No…" He pinched her again and she slapped his chest lightly as she giggled. "I was going to say that I just realized that, after every car accident, I end up in bed with you…"

"I guess you're right…must be a sign."

"This is just like the first time…" She looked up with a mischievous smile.

"Except this time you don't have the bed size as an excuse to why you are all over me." He eyed her smile carefully without stopping his ministrations on her hair.

"Do I need an excuse?" She raised an eyebrow when he shrugged. "Do you mind?" She asked pulling away, but his arms tightened around her.

"Keh."

"In that case…" She settled back down, but never changed her smile. "You know, the kids are still asleep, and this is probably the last time we are going to be like this in a while, especially since I am going to be driving Souta back and forth from games and practice this week." She stroked her finger down his arm and observed the increase rhythm of his heart. "Remember what we did that night, eight times, under the covers?"

"You mean you want to…" He swallowed hard as her hand found his, but quickly found his composure. His smirk spread as she sat up with him. "I've created a monster." He laughed but quickly became serious as they took their positions underneath her soft summer sheets.

"One, two, three, I declare a thumb war."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Inu Yasha looked down at his text message in disbelief. "Naraku planning big hit; watch the kids." He sighed again. He had called his father to pass along the warning, but somehow he knew something would go wrong. The thickness that lazed the humid August air told him that. "Why the hell do we have to have so many kids?" He growled. Kanna and Rin had been taken into hiding within their grandfather's office, and Shippo was on his way there with Miroku. Since Naraku's hit on Kagura had failed so badly, he was betting his money the target was the girls. "That bastard must be livid that Kagura and Sesshomaru are on a plane to Spain, but one can't be too careful." Inu Yasha thought as he waited patiently for Kagome to come out of the bank. His smile widened as he saw his girlfriend run towards her car, with her wavy hair bouncing in a ponytail behind her. Her tight jean Capris and baby blue tank top reminding him of the curves he had held so tightly that morning, and the games they played.

She hopped into the car and gave him a quick peck on the lips. "Thank you for being so patient."

"Keh, what business couldn't wait 'til Monday?" He asked as he moved the double parked car into traffic.

"Souta called me from practice. He was picked to be the main goalie for the finals tomorrow. He was so sure they were going to let one of the older boys do it."

"Why? With my training, he has become famous…Souta 'Stonewall' Higurashi!"

"But, most of the times they let the older kids that can't come back next year play one last time…so they get to have their moment in the spotlight."

"So you stopped at the ATM to get cash to bribe the couch? Brilliant!" Inu Yasha joked. She slapped him lightly on his arm.

"No silly, it's to take him out to his favorite ice cream place to celebrate."

"Keh." He made a quick right towards the soccer field.

"The invitation for Carlos and Mercedes' wedding came last night." She mentioned as she pulled the invitation from her purse.

"That soon?"

"They need a head count, you know."

"Still, it's for December, right?"

"You remembered?"

"Keh."

"Yeah, they are giving everyone a month to R.S.V.P."

"Keh."

"Don't be like that. Kagura sent out the invitations early, too."

"Yeah, and ended up inviting extra people afterwards."

"Excuse me for not being personally acquainted with them previously."

"Keh."

"Stop grumbling…you know…I hope you don't get this way when Kouga and Ayame's comes next month."

"She is still willing to marry the wimpy wolf?"

"Inu Yasha, that is your and my friend you are talking about!"

"Whatever." Inu Yasha quickly scanned the area as he parked. There were parents, cars and children everywhere: nice and public. Naraku wouldn't dare try anything here. He relaxed as he saw Souta waving at them from across the street.

"Hey, nee-chan!" Kagome began to cross the street, and Inu Yasha's sensitive ears caught the sound of screeching tires. He barely had a chance to pull Kagome back before a speeding black van came to a sudden stop. Three loud bangs and the sound of people screaming soon followed. Inu Yasha used his body to shield Kagome's pushing her to the ground, as he tried to make sense of the situation. "Let go!"

"That was Souta!" He didn't think. He rushed from the ground and jumped on the van as it began to speed away. Inu Yasha tried to burry his claws in the roof of the van, but it was protected by a barrier. With the inertia of the van below him, Inu Yasha fell backwards onto the pavement. He heard Kagome scream as she rushed to him. She looked around to confirm what he already knew. They had taken her little brother.

::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;::::::::::::::::::

Guess who is back from Spring Break! Yup, the Cliff hanger queen. ::Does a little dance until she notices a group of disgruntle readers reaching for the pitch forks and fire:: I thought you wanted me to update! Okay, so maybe not with another cliffhanger. Well, those of you who wanted conflict, how is Souta getting kidnapped for you? A million thanks for the FIVE HUNDRED FOURTEEN reviews!!!! Thank you for the two reviews from my friends at mediaminer! Yup, I'm spreading my wings.

You guys need to thank Meche for the longer chapter. I was ready to stop at nine pages, but she thought it was too short, so I decided to move into the next step of my plan…I mean Naraku's plan. I was going to give you guys more Kagome and Inu Yasha fluff, but I realized Naraku waits for nobody.

Thank you again Meche for correcting this chapter. (Only four more to go, and I am done with this story!!!!!)