InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Till There Was You ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven

*

Immediately arriving home from the office, Inuyasha sought after a nice long refreshing shower for the remainder of the night. He was hoping to wash all his frustrations away for awhile even when he knew they would return without hesitation. Entering the shower stall of his own private bathroom, Inuyasha positions his head under the shower head anticipating the liquid as he turns the water on full blast. He instantly feels the rush of cool water above which is slowly soothing his mind to draw out all his unwanted thoughts.

He sighs in satisfactory and ever so gradually he shuts his eyes to relax his state of mind.

Till an ear-piercing shriek filled the atmosphere that was once peaceful, "Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!"

Inuyasha's head shoots up from under the showerhead in an instant like a bullet. He twists the water off hastily and turns around to see through the clear glass and distinguish who the screamer is… 'Kagome?!'

Inuyasha swiftly grabs the towel from over the shower stall. He wraps the cloth around his waist and sprints out of the shower stall, "Oi!" He called out to his hysterical spouse who is shielding her eyes with her hands.

Never-the-less, Kagome is miraculously in spite of everything screaming on the top of her lungs. "Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!"

Seeing his answer would only be in shrieks, Inuyasha shouts over the earsplitting screech, "What are you doing here?!"

Kagome instantly ceases her screaming when she hears Inuyasha. She tentatively removes her hands; ready to put them on again if something was to be shown that she didn't really quite want to see. Spotting Inuyasha wrapped in a towel, she scolds him with an accusing finger, "Pervert! Why didn't you lock the door?!"

"What?!" Inuyasha howled. "Why are you blaming me, I thought you were gone!"

"You knew that I was in here!" Kagome indicts.

"I thought you were gone!"

"Hentai! I will sue you…"

He abruptly breaks off her statement. "What?! Hey, calm down!"

She continues, "… for sexual harassment!"

"Shut up! Listen to me first!" As Inuyasha barks in return, he didn't see or feel the towel fall down with a light thud on the tile. "I'll be the one to sue you if you don't stop shouting!"

"Per…" Kagome begins, but she turns her head down rashly, suddenly curious of what the soft thud was. "…vert." She looks up hastily at Inuyasha. At once Kagome feels the blood from her body quickly enter her face.

Inuyasha raises his brow at Kagome's scarlet exterior, "What now?!"

Kagome opens her mouth slowly to give off a louder shriek, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

With her hands back covering her eyes, Kagome ran out of the bathroom like a madwoman and Inuyasha ultimately becomes aware of the cool breeze between his legs.

=]

The following day, Kagome went to the grocery store with Aiko. Grandma Kioko requested Kagome to pick up a few things for her since she was busy for the day. Now, Kagome was currently pushing a shopping cart with Aiko at her side following. She absentmindedly picks up an item off the shelf.

Although, Aiko requested to visit her Daddy at the office, Kagome thought it would be much better to go to the store and not interrupt her father's work. Just instantly thinking of Aiko's Dad replayed the scene in the bathroom in her mind. Without ado, Kagome slowly felt the blood spread in her ears and cheeks. She couldn't believe how she acted the day before! She knew she could have handled the situation much better, but she panicked and was flustered! It's not everyday something like that would happen. She knew it wasn't Inuyasha's fault, she could have checked before she went into the bathroom. But she didn't know what to do, so she turned her embarrassment into an argument with Inuyasha. That night she couldn't sleep, knowing Inuyasha was nearby even if he was on the ground… sleeping. Also, at dinner, she was silent and tried to not catch Inuyasha's eyes. She knew and could alomst feel Inuyasha grinning ear to ear as he watched her at supper. It infuriated her to no end, but her embarrassment was visibly shown more. Kagome sighs hopefully, wishing her embarrassment would grow away sooner or later.

Kagome takes out a list from her pocket. She looks around, trying to find the requested item. Spotting the item, Kagome takes it and drops it into the cart. She pushes the cart out of the aisle and turns the corner to only crash with another cart.

Kagome gasps, "I'm so sorry!" She slowly looks up at the victim of the crash, "It's all my fau-Mom?!"

Etsu looks at her daughter with wide eyes, shocked to see her, "Kagome?!"

In the rear, Toshiro rushes to his wife's side after hearing his wife at the forefront roar out his daughter's name, "Kagome?"

Kagome's eyes widen even further, "Dad?!"

Aiko removes herself from behind her mother's back. She looks up at the couple who greeted Kagome, "Dad... Mom?" Aiko looks up at her Mom confused, "Mommy, who are they?"

"Mommy?!" Etsu looks down at the young child perplexed and at Kagome questionably.

Kagome's stares at her parents who are waiting for a good explanation. "Aah… She… It's…" She gulps now fearing for her life. Subsequently, she regretfully explains bluntly, "This is my daughter, Aiko."

"Daughter?!" was the hollered reaction from her parents.

+|+

Aiko looks up to all her Mommy's brothers who were all circling her.

"This is your Uncle Miroku." Miroku smiles at Aiko and quickly grins at Kagome's miserable state.

"This is my youngest brother, Uncle Shippou." Shippou waves kindly at the little girl. Aiko replies the gesture.

"And this is your Uncle Souta." Kagome pointed to the young man in front of her daughter.

Aiko stared up at her uncle oblivious to his perplexed stare, "Hello Uncle Souta!"

"Who is she?" Souta looks at his sister waiting for a very good answer.

Kagome just replies with a smirk, "My daughter."

"Your daughter… Since when?!"

"How are you?" Aiko inquires at her uncle who is still starring at her Mommy with a gaping mouth.

Souta looks down at his niece, "I'm okay… Are you?"

Kagome leans down to Aiko's height, "Aiko, play with your Uncles while I help Grandma in the kitchen, ok?"

She stands up heading for the kitchen, but not after inserting to her brother who is still gawking at the little girl, "You better take care of her!"

…:|:…

"You better give me a good explanation, Kagome." Kagome's Mom, whose chopping vegetables, increases her speed without notification. "Clear to me why you entered this situation… Is this what you now call work?" Etsu looks back at her daughter who is drying the dishes.

"Mom, I'm just helping Aiko's Dad in telling her the truth."

"Help?!" Etsu nearly misses at slicing her finger off at Kagome's meager explanation, "By fooling her!"

Kagome puts up the last dried plate. She turns to her Mother who's chopping the vegetables madly, "Mom, please. Just let me settle this alone."

Etsu sighs dejectedly. She turns around and faces her daughter, "Isn't that the case? You always keep to yourself in situations concerning your jobs."

~*~

Aiko is now currently sitting her grandfather's lap as they wait for the food to arrive. She stares up at her grandpa, watching as he laughs with his family. "Grandpa, you're not strict like my other Grandpa," She wraps her arms around him giving him a big hug. "I love you Grandpa!"

Toshiro was taken aback at the girls show of affection to someone she had just met even though he is presumed to be her grandfather. He had been waiting the day when Kagome would get a stable job, meet a nice young man, get married, and have kids of her own for him to call his grandchildren. He never expected this to happen. Still, Toshiro smiles at the little girl in his arms.

He chuckles gleefully as he replies, "How can I be strict with you? You're my first grandchild. Plus, you're smart, nice… cute." Toshiro spots his wife's presence as Etsu takes a seat next to him in the dining table. He sees his spouse's frown directing to him. He grins at his wife, and to further agitate her he continues, "I love you too." He concludes with an embrace.

Aiko smiles at her Grandfather's comment. She turns to look at her grandmother who is fixing herself a plate. She smiles and looks across the table to her Mom, "Mommy, the three of us look alike… We're pretty like Grandma Etsu."

Etsu halts her actions and is suddenly frozen at the state of disbelief. She stares at Aiko in surprise.

The rest of the family watches warily, anticipated to see their mother's reaction. However are suddenly taken aback to hear a loud giggle come out of their mother.

"Really?" Kagome's Mom giggles softly. Toshiro could swear he saw his wife turn crimson for even for a second. Etsu gazes at her family in delight, "Aw! Look at my grandchild! She's a really smart girl!"

Kagome rolls her eyes at her mother's enthusiasm. She is secretly glad at her mother's reaction. She was pleased to know her mother would play along, and let her accomplish this drama she entered.

"And you visit us often, okay?" Etsu pinches Aiko's cheek affectionately.

"Of course!" Aiko retorts, "Grandma, do you love me too?"

Etsu puts down the spoon that was almost reaching her opened mouth. She looks at Aiko, whose head is titled, awaiting an answer. "Ah-Yes! The truth is, you my favorite grandchild!" She gifts Aiko with many pecks on her face.

"Love you, love you, love you!" Etsu says in between the kisses.

Aiko responds with content giggles.

^_^

Inuyasha looks up from his laptop to question Kikyou, "Does Kaya have a copy of my questions?"

Kikyou looks up from the paperwork she is quite busy on. She looks at Inuyasha annoyed, "Yes. I also already rehearsed her."

"Give me a copy of her answers."

"Inuyasha, you have it. I gave them to you." Kikyou raises her brow, puzzled by Inuyasha's behavior. Normally, he didn't act like this in work. Was Inuyasha taking the case in a personal level?

She stares at him from across the table. Kikyou smiles softly and brings her hand to cover Inuyasha's tense hand. She gives his hand an affectionate squeeze and reassures in a soft voice, "It's in you folder… Relax Inuyasha."

Inuyasha nods heaving a sigh. He smiles softly at his associate.

The atmosphere created is broken by a wide, loud opening of the door. The couple jump at the sudden noise and hears a young girl shout, "Hello Daddy!"

Inuyasha stands up, removing his hand from Kikyou's hold.

Kikyou frowns at the interruption.

Inuyasha sees Aiko suddenly rush in the room with Kagome dragged by the hand. "Oh!... Aiko?... Kagome?!"

Right after them, Inuyasha sees his secretary rush in frantic, "Sir, I'm sorry. They insisted to co-"

"It's okay, Ayame." Inuyasha intrudes softly, much to the surprise of his secretary.

Ayame nods slowly, flabbergasted at Inuyasha's calm respond. Usually, he would yell at her 'irresponsibility' for letting people interrupt him. She walks out of the room slowly, deciding if she should go see a doctor. She settles on checking her temperature first and seeing if she can wake herself from the dream.

Seeing his secretary shut the door, Inuyasha turns to Kagome for an answer.

Kagome replies with sheepish shrug, "Aiko insisted."

Aiko breaks the tension growing in the room by enlightening her father, "Daddy, it's your wedding anniversary today, right?"

Inuyasha blinks in surprise and turns to Kagome awaiting an explanation.

Kagome shrugs, trying to look nonchalant.

Kikyou looks on with an angry scowl.

"You forgot?" Aiko quietly whimpers.

Inuyasha looks down at his daughter. He panics, seeing Aiko in the brink of tears.

"Of course not!" He throws Kagome a glare. He lies to stop the progress of the waterworks, "We have a date tonight."

Aiko's eyes instantly become dry. She shakes her head and explains, "No, Mom will cook dinner for us. So we have to go with her to the store."

Kikyou looks on with a stoic look as Inuyasha informs her to excuse himself so he can talk to Aiko's 'Mom' privately.

She knew Inuyasha and her relationship was nothing, but friends with benefits. Regretfully and already too late she had fallen in love with Inuyasha. She promised herself before entering their relationship that she wouldn't harbor feelings for him. She knew Inuyasha didn't feel the same. Since when she first meet him, he was a quiet and private man. He would only show his true colors to people who were close to him. When she found out her feelings for Inuyasha, she was hoping to break the cold barrier around his heart. Then, one day… she noticed he was acting unusually different. He was showing his feelings instead of the usual stoic face. Her heart soared gladly assuming it was her doing that she finally broke the shell surrounding his heart.

Then, she found out about Kagome Higurashi…

Kikyou instantaneously knew she assumed wrong.

She understood… because when Inuyasha was around her, he would constantly complain and talk about Kagome. Secretly, she knew he wasn't really annoyed by the girl… or at least she noticed. Now, she realizes she couldn't give him up to a girl he barely met. She won't let him go easily.

Kikyou jumps at a sudden noise. She spots Aiko tapping the table, obviously bored. Kikyou forces a smile and asks the young girl, "How's everything going sweetie?"

Aiko shrugs, not caring to vocally answer Kikyou's question.

Kikyou ignores her respond. She returns to the paper laid out in front of her.

'I won't give him up… No one can have what is mine.'

*

"Kagome, I'm busy tonight." Inuyasha leans his upper body against the wall. He averted his eyes away from Kagome's disappointing expression.

Kagome only moved closer to him, trying to reason with Inuyasha. "Exactly, you're always busy," She sighs, "How can we tell her the truth if you're always like this?" She finally caught his eyes and frowns sadly.

Inuyasha straightens from against the wall and stands, "Kagome, please, I have many problems already." He looks at her squarely and silently orders, "I don't need you to add anymore."

Kagome holds up her hand, not wanting to buy his excuses, "Wait… Let's review what we both agreed on." She folds her arms, to appear to really think about it. "Our arrangement is for me to pretend to be Aiko's mother," Inuyasha looks on impatiently, wondering what her point will be. "Although, in our agreement, there was nothing about being a single parent." Kagome looks up pointedly. "Inuyasha, do your share as a father."

Inuyasha watches Kagome's eyes turn to a soft tint as she continues, "You know you're lucky to have Aiko as a child… She's well-mannered, smart, and very loving." Kagome's facial expression turns stern as she says, "That's why, for once, grant her this small request."

His eyes to watch Kagome closely… watching if she will give up on Aiko's request and let him work on his frustrations. See no prevail he sighs dejectedly, silently accepting his defeat, "Keh!"

:|:

Finall~y! Sorry I took a long time V___V I finally decide to take a break from this story now, but only temporarily. I want to be able to type and post a few one-shots I've had in mind for quite awhile. And to also post the second chapter of Night's Candles. Since school is finally over, after my break, I will be able to post the next chapters soon. Thanks for all the reader's for waiting patiently (or impatiently). Bye for now ^__^

Don't forget to review, please!!!