InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 7- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Chapter 7- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Okay, she had to admit it. She and Inuyasha were acting a bit strangely. Kagome was aware of the looks she was receiving from Sango and Miroku, but at the moment, she really didn't care.

So maybe she had spent the entire night in Inuyasha's arms. There's nothing wrong with that, is there? I give up, Inuyasha and I have changed over the span of a few days. But it doesn't matter so much. Our souls are bound together now. And . . . I like the changes so far.

At present, Kagome was sitting next to Inuyasha while they all discussed the next course of action. They were all in Kaede's hut, Miroku by the door, Sango leaning against the far wall, and Inuyasha and Kagome seated below the window. Inuyasha had his hands resting on his knees while Kagome leaned her head on Inuyasha's shoulder. At last they came to a conclusion. There was really nothing left to do but go on another shard hunt, though Inuyasha was hesitant about it.

What if Kagome got hurt again? He wouldn't be able to bear that.

As if sensing his indecision, Kagome placed her hand over Inuyasha's and smiled up at him. Inuyasha smiled back slowly, but he was still worried.

Miroku watched as the scene before him play out. Was Inuyasha really smiling? Maybe he has been possessed? He could not have changed so much that he actually smiled!

Sango was in the same boat with Miroku. Was it really possible for someone as stubborn as Inuyasha to change so dramatically over such a small amount of time? Though if anyone could change him, it was Kagome.

"I think we should be leaving then!" announced Kagome as Inuyasha helped her stand.

"Are you sure Kagome-sama?" Miroku asked. "We do not have to leave right away. Surely your injuries still need to heal."

Inuyasha coughed in his hand but didn't look up from the spot on the floor in front of him that had suddenly become so interesting. Kagome was staring at that very same spot.

Sango grew concerned for her young friend. "Kagome-Chan, what is it? Are you okay?"

"Hai, of course. I am fine," Kagome replied.

"Your injuries have healed, haven't they?" Miroku made it sound more like a statement than a question.

Kagome's silence answered all.

"How long have you been healed?" Sango asked very quietly.

"About a day."

"That is almost as fast as Inuyasha," Miroku added.

Kagome had no answer to that. Inuyasha did however. "Cut it out, monk. It's none of your business how Kagome heals."

"Than you do know something about it, Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha was silent for a moment as he gauged how he should reply. "Of course I do. It's my job to keep Kagome safe."

"Would you tell us just how Kagome-sama is able to heal so quickly?"

Miroku knew he shouldn't have pushed, but he just had to have this out in the open. He had so many theories and questions he need answers to, and it wasn't helping anyone to stay silent. What if something dire happened because of The Sharing? He just wanted to make sure everyone was ready for the worst.

Inuyasha hadn't said another word after Miroku's question. Kagome stood beside him, just as silent. Neither one of them were ready for the truth to be unveiled just yet. They still needed to come to terms with the changes themselves.

"When we are ready to speak about it," Kagome answered very quietly as she placed her hand on Inuyasha's arm, "Then we will. But give us some time to get use to it all."

Inuyasha nodded his head and walked off to wait for everyone at the edge of the village. His thoughts were too chaotic for him to stay with his companions who would certainly try to guess what he was thinking.

Man, he hated thinking!

^_^

Surprisingly, the hunt went off without a hitch. After traveling for six days before finally returning back to the village, everyone was a bit grumpy.

Shippou was upset at Inuyasha for taking away his favorite sleeping position on Kagome's stomach. He now had to sleep curled up between the inuhanyou and miko, (though he was secretly pleased with the new development).

Inuyasha was upset with Shippou for insisting on sleeping with him and Kagome. Kagome now slept with Inuyasha in the tree every night. Though it seemed natural for the new couple to be doing such, the rest of the group was still adjusting to it.

Miroku was upset with Inuyasha, mainly because he was a hell of a lot closer to getting an heir than Miroku was at present moment. Plus he was still grumpy for not being able to voice his questions. He had spent every night pondering possible likelihoods. All of his questions were driving him insane.

Sango was upset with Miroku, mainly because of the constant groping, but also because he wasn't acting like himself. All of the groping seemed to be from habit, which made Sango very mad indeed (though she would never admit it).

Kagome was the only one not upset. She had actually enjoyed the shard hunt, though they hadn't come across any shards. Inuyasha had begun to be openly caring to her and that thought alone created butterflies in her stomach. She seemed quite oblivious to the fact everyone else was on edge.

They finally reached Kaede's around midday. As soon as everyone had settled in, Kagome decided she need to go home. "Inuyasha, I'm going home now."

"Fine."

"Nani? You're not going to fight me on this?"

"Not yet."

"What do you mean not yet?"

"Nothing wench. Hurry up! I'll walk you down to the well. Knowing your luck you would probably get attacked before you could get home. You're such an easy target."

"Well that's why you're here, Inuyasha," Kagome replied pleasantly as Inuyasha picked up her backpack and led the way towards the well.

Sango and Miroku decided to also escort Kagome to the well, mainly because they both thought they would get to see Inuyasha eat dirt. Kagome hadn't sat Inuyasha once on the whole trip. Not even when he was teasing Shippou! Kagome had simply picked up the baby kitsune and told Inuyasha to be nice. Even more shocking, Inuyasha actually listened.

When they reached the well, Inuyasha set Kagome's bag down and help her over the edge. When she was balanced on the side of the well, Inuyasha heaved her backpack up and set it beside her. "I'll come and get you tomorrow, wench," Inuyasha said gruffly.

"Not until the evening. I have to go to school."

"I don't understand why you have to go to the skool thing. Isn't that stuff for little kids?"

"Sit."

That one little command sent Inuyasha to the ground. Giggling softly, Kagome bent down and patted Inuyasha on the top of his head. "Gomen," she replied, "Old habits die hard."

Before Inuyasha could say a rejoinder, Kagome had leaped over the side of the well and back into her world.

"Well, I must say that you didn't get sat nearly as much as you use to," Miroku said as soon as Inuyasha was able to stand.

"I agree, Houshi-sama," said Sango.

Inuyasha didn't reply however. As soon as he had climbed to his feet, he felt a tearing feeling in his heart, like it was being ripped into two. He fell back against the side of the well, clutching his hand to his chest, breathing heavily.

"Inuyasha? Is something wrong?" Miroku asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Inuyasha?" Sango said hesitantly.

"Shit," he whispered.

~_^

"KYAAA!" Kagome screamed as she entered her world. She felt like her heart was being ripped into two.

With slow determination, Kagome climbed up the side of the well, not bothering to bring her backpack with her. As soon as she reached the top, she let go of the side and fell back down.

Kagome gradually felt herself reenter Feudal Japan, and as soon as she did, the pain in her chest vanished.

~_^

"Inuyasha?" Miroku asked as he watched the inuhanyou stand.

The pain that had been apparent on Inuyasha's face only moments ago seemed to have had vanished in less than a second.

Turning to face the well, Inuyasha reached down and helped Kagome out.

Miroku and Sango watched with looks of awe as Inuyasha held on to Kagome. Was that what had caused him pain? That Kagome had gone back to her world? But . . . how?

"Inuyasha . . ." Kagome said slowly, carefully choosing her words, "Would you like to come back to my world with me?"

Slowly, Inuyasha nodded. "We'll be back tomorrow," he called to his stunned friends as he picked up Kagome and jumped into the well.

What the hell was that?