InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ New Found 'Limitations' ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 8- New Found Limitations

Chapter 8- New Found `Limitations'

What happened? One minute I was fine and the next? Kagome was sitting in the TV room, staring at the TV without watching it, trying to figure out why she had felt so horrible. I went back to the past without really realizing what I was doing. Was it because I was away from Inuyasha that I was in so much pain? It seems like the only reasonable explanation.

When she had arrived at the other side of the well, she had felt fine. This is just another consequence of The Sharing of Blood. Kagome finally came to a conclusion. She and Inuyasha would just have to stay on the same side of the well. She certainly never wanted to feel like her heart was ripping in two ever again. But what about school? Oh, damn, I need to talk to Mama.

Inuyasha was having similar thoughts. Well, at least she can't leave me after the jewel is completed. He smiled at that thought. Inuyasha was beginning to come to terms about his feelings involving Kagome. He had started identifying each emotion he felt and dealing with it, unlike in the past when he would simply ignore all his feelings and display only anger. Has she really changed me that much?

"I wonder . . ." Inuyasha whispered quietly.

"Wonder what?" Kagome was sitting close enough to hear him.

"Is it like a distance thing?" he said.

"Is what like a distance thing?"

"When you jumped through the well, you felt the same pain I did, didn't you?"

"Hai, I did."

"So would we both feel the same pain if we were a certain distance apart?"

"It's a possibility."

Inuyasha stood and brought Kagome to her feet. "I think we should test it out in case we get into some trouble back in my time and we need to know our limitations."

"You? Thinking?" Kagome said with amusement. "You didn't hurt yourself, did you?"

"Feh, stupid wench," Inuyasha muttered.

Kagome smiled. The name-calling was beginning to sound more like an endearment. "Alright," Kagome said as they reached the front door. "You stay here and I'll walk as far away from you as I can before it starts to hurt."

"Why don't you stay here, and I walk?"

"Because if I have to leave the shrine grounds, people won't think I'm weird."

"So I'm weird now?" Inuyasha was a little insulted.

"For the people in my time, yes you are. You have to remember it isn't an every day occurrence here to see demons walking around."

"Feh. Fine. Just hurry up. You're so slow."

"Whatever," Kagome dismissed and started walking.

Kagome reached the top of the shrine steps before she felt the familiar tinge in her heart. "Fuck. That can't be more than thirty yards," she muttered to herself, not realizing her swearing.

Inuyasha noticed that she had stopped walking. "Man, that's not far at all."

Before Kagome could walk back to the house, Inuyasha leaped into the air and was at her side. "Do you think that also works going up?" he asked her.

Man, its going to suck if he can't jump more than thirty yards. "Go ahead and try, Inuyasha. Better to find out now then later."

Inuyasha was in the air before she could finish her sentence.

The inuhanyou looked down at the miko below him. He was much higher than their previous distance limit, so it looked like the earlier boundary didn't apply in the up direction.

~_^

Ms. Higurashi watched as her daughter and future son-in-law walked into the house. Her motherly instincts told her something was up, and never being one to be around the bush, called Inuyasha and Kagome into the kitchen with her.

First start with small talk.

"So, was your shard hunt successful?"

Inuyasha snorted. "It was just a waste of time. We didn't find any shards."

"What else happened?"

Kagome's daughter-sense started to kick in. Her mother was digging for something. "What do you want Mama?"

"Well, I know something had to have happened by the way you two are acting. I'm not saying you have to tell me," yeah, go for motherly understanding, "But I'm here if either of you need to talk."

Kagome sighed in defeat. She was never good at keeping things from her mother.

Ms. Higurashi knew she won when her daughter sighed. Gets them every time.

"Remember how I told you Inuyasha saved me from death?"

Kagome felt Inuyasha tense beside her. She put a hand on his knee under the table for reassurance. "Well, some of the after effects of the spell surfaced, and . . . well . . ." Kagome trailed off.

"Kagome and I can't be separated," Inuyasha spit out.

"Could you explain to me what that means?" Ms. Higurashi asked.

"Mama, Inuyasha and I can't be on opposite sides of the well or more than a short distance apart without it causing either one of us pain," Kagome explained the best she could.

"I think understand," she said slowly. Maybe she would get those grandchildren sooner than she thought. "But Kagome, what about school?"

"Yeah, I know."

"What about it?" voiced Inuyasha. "She just doesn't go."

"No way!" Kagome shouted.

Inuyasha cringed at the volume of her voice. She shouted right in his ears!

"I have worked too hard for too long to just give up. We'll just have to find another way because I am NOT quitting school!" she continued.

"Inuyasha could just go with you, dear," Ms. Higurashi suggested.

"Go with her?" Inuyasha repeated.

"But Mama, there is no way Inuyasha would be able to go. We would have to find a birth certificate and all those other important documents, and what about his ears? He can't go to school as he is."

"The way I look isn't a problem," Inuyasha stated firmly.

"What do you mean?" Kagome and Ms. Higurashi asked at the same time.

"I can bring my human blood to the surface if there be need," he stated.

"What do you mean?" Kagome repeated.

"I can look like a human if I want to."

"Why didn't you ever do it before?" Kagome asked, intrigued. "Wait. Why didn't you ever tell me?"

Good question. Why didn't he? His mother had always taught him the most basic of both youkai and miko magic. While she could not perform the youkai magic, she had been able to explain enough for him to accomplish it. She had told him he was special because he was able to perform both. Inuyasha hadn't cared back then, he had been more interested in playing outside or learning how to hunt. He didn't remember much of what she had taught him on magic, but he knew enough to the simple things to get by when he was little and hurt. At times Inuyasha would take his human form so travelers on the road wouldn't kill him off when he was vulnerable and unable to fight back.

"The spell takes a lot of spiritual energy, and while it might not be physical exhausting, I can only hold it for a little while. Besides, I never had a reason to want to look human before. Any miko or youkai can easily see through the spell, and even if I look human, I still have the same strength and abilities, so any half-wit human would be able to figure it out. And I never told you because you never asked! You think I never learned a simple spell? My mother was a great miko!"

"She was?" Kagome whispered.

"I . . . ah . . ." Inuyasha realized how much he had just said. "Fuck," he said in a very tiny voice.

"So what other spells do you know?" Kagome asked.

"Mainly glamour, a few healing spells, and some spirit shield spells," Inuyasha said slowly. "Nothing more than the basics. Most are demon spells anyway. I don't use them anymore, only when I was a pup."

"Do you think you can hold a glamour spell for eight hours?"

Inuyasha thought about it for a moment. Kagome had explained to him how they measured time. That was only a fourth of the day. "If I don't bury all of my demon blood, I should be able to keep up the spell for that long. But do you really have to go to skool?"

"Yes. I really have to go. Do you know how to read?"

"Feh! Of course I do."

"Good. I think I can skip school for a week or two while we get everything arranged."

"Do I have to go? How `bout I just sit in a tree while you're there?"

"No, we've already decided."

"What if I don't use my spell?"

"Then I'll say the S word until your back breaks."

"Feh," Inuyasha finally uttered in current defeat. He knew when he was beaten. It didn't matter though; he would get her back. That was only a small battle. He would win the war.

Ms. Higurashi smiled in silent amusement. They had both forgotten her presence completely. Of course she knew Inuyasha wasn't going to go down so easily. She just hoped his revenge didn't involve the house falling down.

^_^