InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ The Last Scroll ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 32- The Last Scroll

"So what did you discover in the first scroll?" Miroku asked Kagome as they sat outside Kaede's hut, eating lunch.

Kagome frowned a bit before replying. "The scroll isn't that long, you could probably finish it in half an hour. It's just," Kagome paused, "Very tragic."

"What is it about?" asked Sango.

"The scroll is nearly as old as Chiyo-sama herself. Chiyo-sama was around five years old when she began writing in it, about the time her father left to seek out the spell."

Sango nodded and fell into thought. What she and Miroku had discovered in the second scroll was also, very tragic, but only related to the nature of the spell and the change the first Pack went through. "I imagine the third scroll has more to do with The Sharing of Blood itself," Miroku mused.

"I want to hear about the second scroll before we move on to the third," Inuyasha stated, looking up from his Ramen.

"Very well. Perhaps I should just read it to you?" Miroku replied.

"Fine," Inuyasha muttered, turning back to his Ramen.

Miroku stood and fetched the scroll out of the hut. When he returned he took a seat leaning against Kaede's hut. Carefully, he unrolled the scroll and began.

"It has been twenty years since my father died, and from what I was told, my Pack has changed greatly. It seems as though the spell not only effected my mother and father, but the rest of the Pack as well. I travel to the forest my father use to disappear in for days. I understand now why he stayed away as long as he did. The trees have a calming presence and there is so much life, unlike the mountains I had once called home.

I have seen my uncle. He came to me not long after I had written my last entry. I think it was surprise I saw on his face. Surprise that I was still alive, and surprise that I was still had the appearance of a pup. He looks haggard, his eyes have soften. He brought me news of the Pack. My brothers were killed, poisoned. He doesn't know who did it and he is very troubled by their deaths. It doesn't bother me as it could have once. I have grown even more callused. My uncle told me he was sorry for what had happened to me and didn't ask for forgiveness. I think he realized what kind of `life' he had damned me to for the rest of eternity.

He told me of the spell, and what had happened after I was taken. The loyalty that had always been within the Pack had escalated. Some of the others were showing characteristics that were once my father's. I sat quietly while he told me this. I listened only to see if there is a way to break my damnation.

When my uncle fell silent I looked up, into his eyes. He was startled by that action. Pups never looked their superiors in the eye. But I'm not a pup, no matter my appearance. I'm not even alive.

My uncle left me, not long after that. I think it was hard for him to look at me without reminding him of his guilt.

It has been a long time since I have last written in this scroll. The story of my mother and father is no more than a myth now, past down through canine youkai. My father's Pack is still in existence, and when I do cast my eyes upon one of them, I still see the spell within their blood. They have grown strong, stronger than my father. Most of them have the white hair and amber eyes my father had. I can't help but feel pride at how well they have evolved. They still hear the story of my father, even today. I can't help but smile. It won't be long now . . ."

"Is that it?" asked Inuyasha when Miroku fell silent.

"Hai, that is all," Miroku replied solemnly.

"Well I say you got the better scroll," mumbled Kagome as she handed the monk the one she had taken home. "This one almost made me cry."

Miroku silently accepted the scroll and read to himself and Sango quietly. When they finished, Miroku set down the scroll and sighed heavily. "What is it that she waits for?" he asked.

"I don't know," Kagome replied.

"Shall we get on with the last scroll?" asked Inuyasha impatiently.

"Yeah," Shippou agreed from his place on the hanyou's shoulders. "We're not going get anything accomplished if all you guys do is mope."

The humans and Kagome looked up at Shippou in surprise. It was such an `Inuyasha response', and to hear it coming from Shippou . . . Well, maybe hell had frozen over.

Kagome shook her head and retrieved the last scroll. "This one doesn't seem very long," she said as she unrolled it.

"Just get on with," Inuyasha replied, though without his usually gruffness.

Kagome glared at her mate and warned him to be quiet. Inuyasha just huffed, but fell silent.

Kagome took a deep breath and began. "I have come to a conclusion about the nature of The Sharing of Blood. I see how it binds the souls of the two performing it, to such a degree that the souls could very easily meld to become one if the caster isn't strong enough. But I have also seen that it binds the rest of the Pack to them as well, though to a lesser degree. It all depends on how strong the bond is between them. The spell hasn't been preformed since my father, and so I don't know the full extent to the consequences of the spell, but I am able to draw my conclusions. Pack members with kin outside the Pack will also realize that their family will be affected by the spell as well, though it will take time for things to manifest. I can really say no more than that. Everything depends on how strong the caster is, and if he can even survive the binding . . ." Kagome stopped. "That's all there is."

Inuyasha looked thoughtful. It was almost dinnertime. They had been sitting there, reading scrolls all day. Shippou had falling asleep on Inuyasha lap, snoring lightly. "C'mon Kagome," said Inuyasha, standing up and handing Shippou to Miroku. "We need to talk."

Miroku gave Kagome a knowing smiled and waved as the human girl turned hanyou was pulled off my Inuyasha. Inuyasha paused at the God tree and sat down, pulling Kagome into his lap. "We need to talk," he said again.

"About what?" Kagome asked, snuggling into Inuyasha's warmth.

Inuyasha scratched Kagome's ear again and grinned at the purr coming from her throat. He placed his other hand on Kagome's stomach, under her shirt, and rubbed lightly on the skin there. "You're pregnant," he replied slowly.

Kagome's breath caught in her throat at Inuyasha's announcement. "Are you sure?" she asked.

Inuyasha breathed in scent in, detecting what Shippou had discovered in her scent that morning. He was sure. "Yes. Shippou even heard the heartbeats."

"Oh," Kagome was quiet for a moment. "You know what this means right?" she asked grinning a bit.

"What?" asked Inuyasha, completely and utterly confused.

"Shopping," Kagome replied happily, leaning back into Inuyasha and taking complete pleasure at the ear scratching session she was receiving.

"Shopping? What does you being pregnant have to do with shopping?" Inuyasha said, slightly panicked.

"Well," Kagome replied, not opening her eyes, "I have to buy some more clothes for when I get too big to where these, and I have to buy baby clothes and toys and furniture and-."

"That's enough," Inuyasha cut her off. "You can wait to do your shopping for a few months."

"I guess. But we have to go back so I can tell Mama."

Inuyasha cringed at the thought of telling Kagome's mother he had gotten her daughter pregnant.

"Don't worry Inuyasha," Kagome said when she felt the hanyou tense. "Mama has been looking forward to grandchildren since I turned fourteen."

"Even if they're part youkai?" asked Inuyasha.

"Especially if they're part youkai! Did you know Mama told me she wanted grandchildren with your ears?" Kagome said, looking up at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha chuckled. "What is it with your family and my ears?"

"Our family," Kagome replied, correcting him. "They're your family too. Mama is probably going to want a human marriage."

"That's fine," Inuyasha replied absently.

"That means inviting far off family members and having to listen to people tell you stories about me when I was a little girl."

"Well than I'm definitely looking forward to it," Inuyasha replied wickedly.

"Baka," Kagome muttered, leaning up to take Inuyasha's lips in a comfortable and firm kiss.

Inuyasha was the one to break away from the kiss. "Let's go then," he said, leaning his forehead on Kagome's.

"Go?"

"Go tell your- our family the news," he replied.

"We should tell Sango and Miroku and the rest of the Pack first," she said, not moving from her spot on his lap.

"They already know."

"How!" Kagome shouted, kind of upset that her friends knew she was pregnant before she did. Now she understood the smile Miroku gave her when Inuyasha dragged her away.

"Shh, calm down. Miroku was there when Shippou told me he heard heartbeats, and Sango found out when Miroku dragged her off so that they could change their bets."

"Bets?" asked Kagome, confused.

"Hai, you remember the pool Miroku was talking about? The bet on when our first child would be born?"

"I remember," Kagome confirmed.

"Well, Miroku and Sango have a good bit of money riding on it-"

"They what?!"

"Calm down Kagome. Miroku agreed to spend the money on something we all would appreciate."

Kagome frowned but stopped her ranting. "Fine. Let's go talk to Mama."

Inuyasha nodded, smiling at her tone and led her towards the well.

^_^

Ms. Higurashi was in the kitchen when Inuyasha and Kagome entered. "Hi Mama," Kagome greeted her with a kiss on the cheek. "Where is everyone?"

"Well," said Kagome's mother, moving to the fridge to get drinks for everyone. "Souta is upstairs with a new video game and your grandfather is in the living room." She paused to glance back at Kagome, and that's when they caught her attention. "Kagome! You have the cutest ears!" she squealed and moved toward her to touch them.

"Mama!" Kagome said after counting to ten.

"What happened dear?" Ms. Higurashi said after a moment.

"The spell," Kagome replied, blushing a bit. "And there is something else. I'll go get Souta so we can all talk about it in the living room."

"Okay, dear," she replied, a bit confused with Kagome's tone of voice. But she shook her worries off and turned to the forgotten hanyou. "Would you like something to eat, dear?"

^_^

Inuyasha and Kagome sat beside one another while the rest of the family stared at them. Ms. Higurashi served drinks before turning to the couple. "Okay, dears, what is it you wanted to tell us?"

"Mama," Kagome began. "I'm . . . I'm pregnant."

Kagome saw her grandfather choke on his tea and Souta cough up the cookie he had been eating. But the focus of her attention was on her Mother.

Ms. Higurashi was quiet for a moment before she smiled and moved to hug first Kagome, and then Inuyasha. "That's wonderful news darling! Are you two going to get married? Have you decided on a wedding dress? How about just a small wedding ceremony with family? That way it won't be so hard to explain the ears. This is wonderful!"

"Yeah, sis," Souta added.

Kagome's grandfather just nodded, still a little shocked, but if it made his granddaughter happy, so be it.

Kagome smiled and sighed her relief, until her mother brought out her baby book and moved to sit by Inuyasha. She could practically feel the amusement coming off of Inuyasha in waves. Dammit, it was enjoying her embarrassment.

That meant payback.