InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ News from the Wolves ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 33- News form the Wolves

When Inuyasha and Kagome walked into Kaede's hut the next day, a certain Inuhanyou was still trying to contain his amusement at the incident last night.

After Kagome had announced the `big news' Ms. Higurashi made a point of showing Inuyasha every picture ever taken of Kagome until the age of fourteen. Kagome had just about died of embarrassment. It didn't help when her grandfather started talking about how Kagome would pretend she was a bird when she was three. Inuyasha had been laughing so hard he was completely unprepared when Kagome punched him in his gut, telling him to shut his mouth.

But even after twelve hours since the incident, Inuyasha was laughing, though much more quietly and discreetly. It was, however, noticeable enough for Miroku to tell he was missing something. It had been a completely innocent question, for once, asking what Inuyasha found so amusing. The bump on his head made by Kagome's fist was completely and utterly unexpected.

"Kagome, you need to calm down," Inuyasha said, still smiling and laughing between words.

Kagome growled at him in warning when he removed the small picture book from a hidden pocket, but Inuyasha simply ignored her. "Oi, Shippou, come here," the hanyou called, moving out of the way as a very pissed off Kagome launched herself at him.

"Inuyasha!" she yelled, chasing him about the small hut.

"It's just a couple of pictures," he called back, laughing as he did so.

Before Kagome could react, Inuyasha dropped the picture book at Shippou's feet, pinned Kagome's arms to her side and dropped into a sitting position, pulling Kagome down with him. Wrapping his arms around her, he held on tight as the rest of the Pack went through the little picture book Ms. Higurashi had given Inuyasha.

"Kagome-sama, these are you?" asked Miroku as he stared at the pictures in disbelief.

"Dammit Inuyasha!" Kagome screamed at the hanyou that was keeping her from ripping those pictures away from everyone and throwing them into the fire.

Inuyasha smiled down at her. "I'll get you back for this," Kagome said, giving him a glare to rival any Inuyoukai.

"I can just go ask your mother for more pictures," Inuyasha replied calmly.

"I'll find something," Kagome said, growling dangerously.

Inuyasha looked quite amused at her distress. "You shouldn't stress yourself. Think of the pups," he lectured.

Kagome's growl only gained volume. "You're the one doing it!"

"Kagome, they're only pictures," Inuyasha replied, trying desperately to keep the smile he felt tugging on his lips from appearing.

"Inuyasha, believe me, I will get my revenge," Kagome repeated, but she stopped growling and merely accepted the embarrassment by relaxing herself from her place in Inuyasha's lap.

The hanyou couldn't help but smile when she melted into his embrace.

"I want to name the second one!" Shippou said as he crawled into Kagome's lap and moved his head so that he could listen to the barely distinguishable heartbeats.

"How many are there?" Kagome asked, worry and awe tinting her face.

Shippou concentrated for a moment before answering. "Two, I think. I'm not completely positive, but there are at least two."

"If it's a girl her name will be Reiha," Kagome said, informing the little kit.

"Then can I name the other one?" asked Shippou hopefully.

"We'll see runt," Inuyasha answered, giving the kitsune a pat on the head.

Shippou sighed and nodded, curling up in Kagome's lap. Absently, Kagome ran her fingers through Shippou's hair, causing the little kit to purr.

The miko was snapped out of her reprieve when she heard Sango giggle. Turning to her friend who sat next to Miroku, she growled at the back of her throat when she realized there were still looking at the miniature photo album. "Gomen, Kagome-Chan," Sango replied when she heard the growl. "It's just, you looked so cute as a child."

"Hai," Miroku added. "The green ink on your face is rather flattering."

Kagome, instead of growling, picked up what was in her reach, which was a frying pan, and hit Miroku right in the forehead. Inuyasha had to fight the urge to start laughing again.

The miko just sighed after a minute and let go of her anger. She really wasn't acting like herself today. Kagome allowed herself the excuse that so many transformations in such a short period of time could stress anyone out, or drive them mentally insane.

Kagome thought back to everything that had happened earlier in the week. She had mated Inuyasha, she was now engaged by human standards, married by youkai, she had fluffy white dog-ears on the top of her head and she was pregnant, with twins no less. And the young miko was loving ever moment of it.

Inuyasha tensed when he heard the sound of frantic footsteps and the stench of fear and urgency. A moment later, a messenger entered the hut. He was covered in dirt from his travels, dried blood smeared to one side of his face, his hair greasy and tangled. The next thing Inuyasha noticed was that the messenger couldn't be older than eleven. Why would someone send a human pup to deliver a message? The roads were dangerous for any one person to travel, let alone a child.

Kagome moved to stand and greet the boy, Sango right behind her. "My name is Kagome. Come in and let me get you something to eat," the miko replied soothingly.

The boy nodded and sat down near the fire. He was breathing hard and shaking slightly.

"What's your name?" asked Miroku as he handed the boy a cup of water.

"Morio," he replied, drinking the water greedily.

"Welcome. May I ask where you are headed?"

Morio shook his head. "Here, I was headed here. I was sent to deliver a message to Inuyasha-sama."

"A message to me?" asked Inuyasha, surprised.

The boy seemed to realize for the first time there was youkai in the hut. He grew more surprised when Kagome handed him his food and he noticed her ears. He shook off his surprise though, and addressed Inuyasha.

"I was sent by a small girl called Aiko. She's been trading with the village where my home is," he began.

"Why would Aiko-Chan send you?" asked Kagome, confused.

"Her Pack, it's having trouble with some new demons, or at least that's what I assumed, since our village has had problems with them as well. All she told me was that some demons were attacking and that they needed help. She gave me this to give to you," Morio replied, fishing a letter out of his pocket.

Kagome took it hesitantly and read it out loud. "Dear Inuyasha-sama. I regret having to bother you for help, but Kouga-sama is sometimes too proud for his own good. Our territories are being overrun by youkai I have never seen, but read of in books. They are not earthly creatures, and I fear for my new family. Our ranks are too thin to fend against these creatures. I fear that we will be driven out or killed within the space of a month if something is not done. They have also been attacking the human settlements nearby, and they have received many casualties. Please help us. Sincerely, Aiko."

"We'll leave at first light," Inuyasha said as soon as Kagome finished speaking.

"Have you seen these creatures?" Sango asked Morio.

"Hai. They are dressed in black, with scales as skin and glowing green eyes. No arrows can penetrate their hide and they are fearful creatures," he replied, his eyes haunted.

"We'll get rid of them soon enough," Kagome said cheerfully.

"You're sure?" he asked. Morio wondered how this girl could be so confident.

"Of course. Inuyasha will be able to destroy them with just one swing of Tetsusaiga," Kagome replied proudly. "Of course, I should go tell Mama we're going to be gone for a few days. She expected us back tomorrow," Kagome turned to Inuyasha.

"We'll go tell her after lunch," Inuyasha replied, patting her hand in reassurance. "Besides, I'm sure she can plan that whole wedding thing on her own."

"You're getting married?" Sango asked raising her head.

"Hai," Kagome replied excitedly.

"And you agreed to this?" Miroku asked Inuyasha.

"Why not? We're already married by youkai standards. Why not human? Besides, it's what Kagome and her mother want," Inuyasha replied.

"You're a much braver man than I," Miroku said solemnly, causing both Sango and Kagome to giggle.

Shippou ignored them all and turned to the human boy. "How do you know Aiko?" he asked.

Morio blushed at the question. "Ah, I met her while she was in my village. She was trying to find someone who would sell her some ink. When the villagers refused to trade with her, her Pack leader got mad. I offered her some of my ink since I work at the monastery and we have plenty to go around. There aren't many people who can read or write where I come from and I'm still learning, so no one uses ink often. I can always get more; Aiko-Chan doesn't have the same luxury. So I trade with her and save everyone Kouga-sama's wrath. He's quite fond of her."

Inuyasha snorted but smiled at the same time. "Well at least he's taking care of her."

"Come on Inuyasha. Let's go see my mother," said Kagome standing up and heading for the door.

Inuyasha sighed and followed her out.

"Sango," Miroku turned to the demon exterminator.

"Hai, Houshi-sama?"

"Have you ever heard of demons that meet Morio-Chan's description?"

"No." Sango looked over at the boy who was vigorously eating the food Kagome have given him.