InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ Family Reunion ( Chapter 46 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 46- Family Reunion

Shippou paced back and forth on the lip of the well. He wasn't happy. The wood under his heels felt worn and ancient. The kitsune paused momentarily to stare down at the abyss of the well. He had hoped that the spell had bound him close enough to Kagome and Inuyasha to be able to pass through the well. Apparently, that theory had proven false.

He sighed and let his legs collapse beneath him. A moment later the scent of Rin on the breeze notified him of company on the way. Shippou waited until Rin approached the well before jumping off onto the soft grass. Rin silently stared at the well behind Shippou.

Shippou feared she might ask a question he wasn't allowed to answer, but soon enough Rin lost interest in the well and turned to Shippou. "Lunch is ready, Shippou-chan."

The kitsune nodded and ran up to walk along side Rin back towards the village. "Where is Jaken?" asked Shippou warily.

Rin giggled behind her hand before pointing towards the river. "I was playing `water youkai' and Jaken-sama fell into the water."

Shippou laughed along with Rin, knowing her meaning. Jaken seemed to have the worst time staying dry when Rin was around. "Do you know when your Pack Leader will return?" asked Rin.

"No," replied Shippou, thinking of Inuyasha. "But I hope they return soon. Why do you ask?"

"Sesshomaru-sama is very upset at your Pack Leader's absence," she said casually. "He said `that Inuhanyou better return soon if he knows what's good for him.'" Rin deepened her voice, trying to mimic Sesshomaru's tone.

Shippou laughed before shaking his head. "He seems awfully upset," he agreed.

"Oh, yes," replied Rin, nodding vigorously. "He is quite upset, which is strange."

"What do you mean?" prodded Shippou.

"Sesshomaru-sama has been acting a bit uncanny these last few weeks. When he heard a rumor about that white-haired man with the dog-ears he wasted no time in coming here."

Shippou nodded, filing away the information for later. Rin lost interest in the topic and soon began to talk about a field she had found earlier in the morning full of flowers.

^_^

Inuyasha jumped out of the well with Kagome in his arms and her backpack slung across one shoulder. He sighed and set her down, taking a deep breath of fresh air. Nothing in Kagome's world could beat the smell of fresh air. It was, however, not as fulfilling as Inuyasha had hoped, but then, Sesshomaru's scent always seemed to sour his mood.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome asked, noticing her mate's sudden uneasiness. "Is something wrong?"

Inuyasha growled. "Sesshomaru is here."

Kagome gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. "Is everyone okay?"

"I don't think he is here to fight," observed Inuyasha.

"Why?"

"His scent is at least a week old. He has been waiting for us." Inuyasha growled and fisted his hands.

Kagome sighed. "Maybe the spell affected him as well," she mused.

Inuyasha's ears perked up and he turned to look at Kagome. After a moment of pondering, the hanyou grinned. "I hope he's suffering."

Kagome laughed, walking past Inuyasha and towards the village. Inuyasha followed her after a moment, contemplating the situation. The couple was greeted by their pack when they reached the rice fields. Kagome ran up to Sango and hugged her. Sango readily embraced her friend, happy she had returned. Miroku stood beside Sango, also looking pleased by Inuyasha and Kagome's appearance, despite the tension in his jaw.

"Inuyasha, Kagome-sama, I am so glad you have returned," said Miroku wearily.

"Sesshomaru is here," Inuyasha stated.

Miroku needed no further prodding. "Yes, yes he is indeed. He arrived soon after you two left. He has questions that need answers. I believe he was also affected by the spell. He doesn't seem to happy about it."

Inuyasha snorted. "I hope that bastard is suffering."

Miroku shook his head, amused. "Nevertheless, Inuyasha, I believe it wise you seek out your brother and answer his questions."

Inuyasha thought about it for a moment before he announced his intentions. "Not right now. If the bastard comes looking for me, I'll tell him what he wants to know, if I can. But I ain't gonna go out looking for him."

Miroku sighed but nodded in agreement. Nothing he could say would change the hanyou's mind, which didn't really bother the houshi. Miroku didn't want Inuyasha to seek Sesshomaru out. There would be a good chance he would miss the reunion and Miroku was curious as to how that would proceed.

"Well, then," Sango intervened, "Let's go have some lunch. Kaede-obaasan has made a delicious stew for lunch."

"Wow," Kagome said, remembering how good the old miko's stews are, "That sounds great."

"Besides," Sango addressed Inuyasha and Miroku, "I am sure Sesshomaru is already at Kaede's hut with Rin. He doesn't like her to stray far."

^_^

Sesshomaru's nose twitched when he identified his half-brother's scent. He was sitting in Kaede's hut beside Rin while she told him about her morning. Shippou sat silently across from the pair, vigorously eating his lunch. Kaede knelt by the fire where the stew was heated, stirring periodically.

The Inuyoukai had to control the urge to go and meet his brother. His patience had been wearily thinned over the past week during his wait for Inuyasha. Where the hanyou could have gone, he had no idea.

Rin stopped talking when she noticed her Sesshomaru-sama wasn't listening. She frowned a bit but then turned back to her lunch. Sesshomaru-sama would be more interested in her day after she finished eating.

Inuyasha chose that moment to enter the hut. Kaede looked up from her stew to give the hanyou a nod in greeting. Inuyasha returned it but his attention was focused on Sesshomaru. Shippou had zipped past him to greet Kagome and his delighted pleas could be heard when Kagome picked him up.

Without saying a word, Inuyasha moved into the hut and sat down in the spot Shippou had vacated. He waited until Kagome had entered and sat down beside him with Shippou in her lap before speaking. "Sesshomaru," greeted Inuyasha, staring at his brother.

"Brother," replied the Inuyoukai.

Sango and Miroku settled themselves by Kaede, their eyes never leaving Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru sighed inwardly. This is not what he had planned. The hut had become much too crowded. "I wish to have a word with you privately brother," he said.

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. Without a word, he stood and walked towards the door. "Stay here, Kagome," was all the said before he disappeared from sight.

Sesshomaru followed his brother out of the hut. Inuyasha stopped at the edge of the village. If he went any further the boundary around himself and Kagome would make itself known. "What is it?" asked Inuyasha quietly.

The older Inuyoukai studied the Inuhanyou carefully before replying. "You know damn well why I'm here."

Inuyasha had to smother a smile at his brother's language. "Yes, but Miroku has informed me that you read the scrolls and heard both his and Sango's account of our visit to Chiyo. What else is there?"

"I want to know," Sesshomaru said through clenched teeth, "Were you get off doing a fucking spell that effects me."

Again, Inuyasha had to fight not to smile. "Kagome was dying," he replied instead. "I did what was necessary."

Sesshomaru could not help but wish his father had given Tensaiga to Inuyasha instead of himself, even if he knew Inuyasha needed Tetsusaiga. "You have no further insight to add?" Sesshomaru asked, trying to keep the hope from his voice.

Inuyasha shook his head. "No. I don't even know if the spell has stopped manifesting."

Sesshomaru visibly winced at that thought. "Very well then," he continued. "I will leave tomorrow."

Inuyasha nodded. "Oh, by the way, what's the human to you?"

Sesshomaru growled quietly. "She is my charge."

With that the older Inuyoukai walked off, leaving Inuyasha dumbfounded.