InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To know you is to know myself... ❯ The Switch ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 2 – The Switch



Groggily, Kagome slowly began to regain consciousness, as she picked up the sounds of her friends’ voices. They all sounded so concerned…

“That was a close call.” Said Sango

“I’m sure they’ll be alright.” Comforted Miroku

“Look, Inuyasha’s stirring!” Declared Shippo

Were the sentences Kagome could make out clearly, before opening her eyes.

When she completely opened them, the first thing she noticed was how remarkably sharp her vision seemed to be, had her miko powers increased her senses? She vaguely remembered using her powers, though the memory was hazy, to protect against some sort of magic power that was pulling out her soul, her’s and Inuyasha’s. Oh, Inuyasha! That’s right, Shippo said he was awaking also, so she frantically started darting her eyes around Kaede’s hut, in search of her closest friend. She was distracted when Miroku leaned inward, and asked how she was feeling.

“Fine, I suppose.” Was her response, but it wasn’t her voice.

She could have sworn she heard Inuyasha’s voice say what she’d meant to say. She also noticed how, when Miroku was so close, she could really, really, smell him. Inwardly, Kagome was slightly confused, but when she saw Miroku’s apparent look of satisfaction, as he turned to rejoin Sango and Shippo, she ignored the funny feeling in her own head, and again scanned the room for Inuyasha.

Okay, let’s see here. There’s Miroku, Sango, and Shippo. I can hear Kaede talking to a villager outside, wait, I can hear Kaede talking to a villager outside? Never mind, okay, and oh, okay over there, there’s Inu…..wait, no, NO! That’s ME!

Sure enough, Kagome double checked just to be sure, but she definitely saw herself laying across the hut from her, with all eyes attentively on the sleeping figure, apparently hoping she’d wake up soon. Kagome did the next thing probably anybody would do upon seeing yourself lay across from you, she looked down, to examine her own body.

oh my god Oh My God OH MY GOD


Kagome was Inuyasha! How could this have happened? She thought back, she remembered feeling her soul being pulled out of her, and then a disconnected feeling she associated with her soul being completely removed from her body. Just before that happened though, she was pretty sure she remembered seeing Inuyasha loose his soul as well. Suddenly, a fox kit leaping up onto her shoulder distracted her from her thoughts again.

“You sure you feel alright Inuyasha? You keep making funny faces.”

At least Kagome had already realized she was in Inuyasha’s body prior to Shippo’s comment, or that would have been air for panic. She suddenly found her senses overwhelmed, as Shippo’s scent seemed much stronger then ever before, and she could even smell his fear, for lack of better word. Not wishing to worry the others, she decided, for the moment, to play along, at least until she found out for sure if Inuyasha’s soul was also in her body, which would mean, she wasn’t going crazy.

“Keh” she tried her best Inuyasha impression. “I’m fine, brat.”

This seemed to satisfy the youngster, who then turned his concerns towards Kagome.

“Do you think Kagome will be okay?”

Kagome shifted her eyes, er, well, Inuyasha’s eyes, to spy over at her own sleeping body again. The look on her face must have been convincing for one Inuyasha would give as concern for Kagome, as she felt incredible concern, not only for Inuyasha, but for herself as well, as well as general confusion over their entire situation.

Not really knowing what else to say, and realizing Inuyasha doesn’t talk that much anyway, she ignored Shippo’s question, but did get up, and move herself across to where Inuyasha lay, where she hoped Inuyasha lay, trapped within her own body.

She reached out a hand, taken aback for a moment by the claws she saw protruding from her own fingers, but without visibly hesitating, continued to reach out, and place her hand upon Inuyasha’s shoulder. Before this could be misinterpreted, not wanting her friends to think Inuyasha was revealing feelings Kagome she was pretty sure he didn’t even have, she decided to gently shake the shoulder she held, quietly mumbling “Wake up, wench”, as everyone just watched on, apparently accepting of this action.

Suddenly, they all heard a small groan come from Kagome’s lips, as the body that was Kagome’s began to regain consciousness. The real Kagome sat silently, along with the others, wondering how on earth she was going to prevent Inuyasha’s freak out from freaking everyone else out.

Inuyasha felt himself slowly coming back to the world of the living, as he replayed mentally the events of the last thing he remembered. He was battling some sort of soul-consuming youkai, that was slowly but surely removing Kagome’s soul, when suddenly he felt a strange sensation that seemed to want to rip out his own soul. He remembered feeling as vulnerable and alone as he ever possibly could have in his life, until suddenly, he felt the warmth of Kagome surround him, and then, he felt himself being re-grounded within a body. Kagome he thought, was she alright? Did that creature steal her soul? Feeling someone shake him gruffly, he came away from his thoughts long enough to gain awareness of his surroundings, and noticed nearly right away, that his hearing seemed really poor. It reminded him of his human nights, except, the New Moon was still like a week away. Suddenly, he heard his own voice saying wake up wench, what the hell?

Snapping his eyes open, Inuyasha looked up to see his own concerned face looking back down at him, along with their other friends.

“What the h-” he started to protest, but found himself suddenly embraced, by himself, and then heard himself whisper something into his ear.

When Kagome saw her body snap awake, and saw the utter confusion sprawled across her own face as it looked up at her, she knew, knew that Inuyasha was in there. This thought was confirmed when she heard him begin to curse as to what was going on. Before she could even think, she lunged herself forward to embrace Inuyasha in a tight hug, something she wasn’t sure if the real Inuyasha would have actually done, but it was necessary nonetheless, in order to whisper a quick message in his temporarily human ear.

“Inuyasha, they don’t know, but we’ve switched bodies.” She quickly explained, silently hoping Shippo hadn’t heard her. But fortunately, he, along with the others, were just so relieved that Kagome was awake, they weren’t even caught off guard by Inuyasha embracing her, simply figuring he was as relieved as they were.

Kagome backed away then, allowing Inuyasha the necessary time to adjust. He just sat there, staring at the figure of himself which sat across from him, along with the figures of Sango, Miroku, and Shippo. Looking down at his own hand, he saw that his body had spoke the truth, for he was in fact, within Kagome’s body. Suddenly, he lowered his head into his hand, albeit Kagome’s head in Kagome’s hand, as he felt a wave of sickness overpower him. Kagome’s body must be having a harder time recovering, because she was human. This action earned concern from Shippo, who carefully climbed up into ‘Kagome’s’ lap, asking if she was okay.

Sound like Kagome Inuyasha quickly thought to himself.

“I’ll be alright, Shippo, just feeling a little sick.” He mumbled, focusing most of his energy on sounding genuine when he uttered Shippo’s name, sounding as caring towards the runt as he figured Kagome would.

He then locked eyes, for a moment, with his own amber orbs that were staring at him from across the room, then, glancing up at the others, quietly said “I think I should rest more.” And flashing another quick look back across at his own body, whom he realized was actually Kagome, he saw she understood, and quickly, sounding as ‘Inuyasha-like’ as possible, ordered the others out of the hut, so that ‘Kagome’ could get some rest. Of course, she stayed.

“Okay, they’re gone.” Inuyasha started, “Will you tell me what the hell is going on?”

“I….I don’t really know.” Confessed Kagome, which didn’t please Inuyasha one bit.

“What do you mean you don’t know!”

“Just what it sounds like, baka! I don’t know!”

“So I’m a baka now am I?” he said, using Kagome’s voice to sound even scarier than he normally would.

“Uh….”

“Sit.” He so eloquently pronounced the word, barely beyond a whisper, and tried hard to restrain from busting out laughing as he saw his own face get
slammed into the floor.

“Ow! That hurts!” Kagome wined, prying herself up off of the ground.

“Keh, course it hurts!”

Suddenly, Inuyasha’s face went crestfallen, as the Kagome within became depressed, and even with his temporarily human ears, Inuyasha, from within Kagome’s body, could still hear the whispering sounds of his own voice, as the spirit of Kagome, began to cry.

“I’m…..I’m so sorry.” His voice whispered. “I guess I never realized…..”

“It’s okay, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.”

“I guess I deserved it, for all the times I’ve sat you.”

“No you didn’t, please, stop crying.”

Kagome hadn’t even realized she’d been crying, and when she reached a hand up to her cheek to wipe away the tear, she proceeded to cut herself with her claws.

“Ow!”

“Oi wenchInuyasha bellowed, which would have sounded amusing coming from Kagome’s body, if not for the situation they were currently in being anything but
funny.

Inuyasha got up and sat down right next to Kagome, conscious of not sitting Indian style at the moment, considering his short skirt. Using her own hand, which he supposed he’d have to accept he was borrowing for a while, he wiped away the small drop of blood, as well as remaining tears, that appeared on his own face that sat before him.

They just sat there in silence for a moment, looking into each other’s eyes, which they each felt was more like looking into their own eyes, staring at them through a mirror, except for the fact that each said pair of eyes was reflecting a different array of emotions, emotions they were each able to decipher, knowing their own eyes so well, after all. Inuyasha saw in his eyes that Kagome was feeling confused, scared, and pretty much helpless, while Kagome saw in her own eyes that Inuyasha was concerned, and determined, and caring. Suddenly he spoke.

“Try to be more careful, okay?”

Kagome heard so much caring in her own voice at those words, she wondered if it was only because it was her voice, which by nature was soft and caring (except when she was pissed!), or, if Inuyasha would have sounded so genuine, were he using his own voice instead. Then she realized, again, that she could smell emotions, and then she confirmed it for herself, his concern was truly his own.

“Okay” she finally whispered, while leaning her face into Inuyasha’s touch, as he still had his hand upon her cheek where he’d wiped the blood and tears away moments before. Only then, did he too realize, that he still held his hand there.

“Do you think we should tell the others?” asked Kagome

“Don’t see what good that’d do.” Inuyasha mumbled, starting to feel sorry for himself, as well as for Kagome, over the situation they were finding themselves in.

“But, maybe Kaede can reverse it?” Kagome offered, in the hopes of raising his spirits, which she could tell were slowly dropping.

“Keh, maybe. Okay, we’ll tell the hag….but not the others.” He finally, reluctantly agreed.

Why didn’t Inuyasha want anyone to know? Kagome wondered, but realized, he was probably just embarrassed. It was a little silly if you thought about it, but then again, a little scary too. If it couldn’t be reversed, she’d have to learn to fight with his Tetsusaiga, and he with her bow and arrows, otherwise, they’d both be useless in battle. What if Naraku chose this moment to attack? What if another powerful youkai decided to attack them? What about her tests at school??? AHHHH Kagome was freaking out, they had to get this hex reversed, NOW.