InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To know you is to know myself... ❯ Epilogue

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



The five friends continued their journeys together, stopping to help whenever somebody was in danger, but generally keeping with the main missions at hand of defeating Naraku and completing the jewel.

An unexpected encounter with Sesshomaru had proven to be even more unexpected, when he seemed to gain a respect for his younger brother at the discovery that he had taken a mate. Though on the surface, the western Lord had initially said it only proved to show his weakness, he had also mumbled something about

“Do not repeat father’s mistake.”

Since he already had the human mate, all they could pull from that statement had to be that he’d basically stated a warning not to die. This was quite a leap from him constantly trying to be the one to kill him.

When in his mild defense, Inuyasha had stated that having a mate was not a weakness, but rather a strength, they were surprised to see somewhat of an expression of consideration on his face. That expression intensified, when Inuyasha added “You’ll understand when you, too, have someone to protect.” Of course Inuyasha had no idea how closely he sounded like their father in that moment, and he was surprised to see his brother nod once, before stating “Come Rin” as he left.

Kikyo had eventually made another appearance, though they deduced it was rather coincidental, since when Inuyasha and Kagome both went to meet her together, she was openly shocked that the two of them were both still alive. When she found out that they had not only mated, but had bonded, she raged with a never before seen fury. But fortunately, they had expected that, and simply stood before her, calmly as ever, as she launched a purifying arrow in Inuyasha’s direction, only to have it be deflected by his miko powers. She was baffled at how this was possible. Launching a regular arrow at Kagome, she was shocked again, when the girl dodged it with inhuman speed and accuracy. Kikyo, for the first time since she could remember, was dealing with a foe that was proving to be beyond her ability. Then it was Inuyasha who spoke, as he told her he had no desire to kill her, even though he went on to tell her that he didn’t feel she was the same Kikyo that had lived and loved him those 50 years ago. He told her he pitied her for her current and miserable existence, and hoped that one day, she could find her peace. He reinforced that he would keep his vow to avenge her by slaying Naraku, but made it quite clear that he’d owe her nothing more after that.

The time eventually came when they were facing down said arch enemy in what would prove to be the final battle. With the help of some expected, and some unexpected allies, they were finally able to bring the dark hanyou down. It had turned out that Inuyasha could project a mild amount of purifying energy with his claw attacks, and after blasting much of the bastard away with a Wind Scar, he’d swipe at the pieces, turning them to dust, before they had the change to rejoin the main body. Koga had shown up, with Ayame, and what was left of his pack along with all of hers. Kohaku was there, supposedly on Naraku’s side, until he confessed he had regained his memories, and suddenly joined in the fight along side his sister. When Naraku had ordered Kagura to subdue the boy, and remove the shard from his back, she looked as though she were going to strike him, until at the very last moment, when she turned back towards her master, aiming her Dance of Blades at him instead. Sesshomaru then appeared on the horizon, and after reviving the fallen Kagura (Naraku had instantly crushed her heart for her disobedience) he joined in the fight along side his brother. The two inus barely passed a look back and forth, and spoke not a word to each other, as they fought against their greater enemy. When Naraku managed to launch a tentacle in Kagome’s direction after she’d run out of arrows, and Inuyasha was currently in mid-air, launching a Wind Scar attack, he turned in her direction, yelling for her to dodge, but then a blur of white rushed between him and his mate, as the dark hanyou’s tentacle was instantly severed, and he heard his older half-brother’s voice rather darkly order “Never touch the mate of an Inu-Youkai.”

End the end, Naraku fell, and Kohaku, who had also fallen when a tentacle managed to pull the shard from his back, was effortlessly revived by Tenseiga. Miroku was ecstatically happy that Mushin had been right, and his curse had in fact been lifted, showing Sango the flesh covered palm of his right hand. Her response had been to launch herself into his embrace, delivering a passionate kiss. They’d promised to wed once Naraku had fallen, but up until it’d actually happened, each had feared that one, or both of them, might in reality, not survive that day. Now, they both breathed with a sigh of relief, realizing they had their whole lives to look forward to.

Kagura had taken her leave, but not before deeply bowing and thanking everyone present (especially Sesshomaru) for her freedom. She swore she would not only not be an enemy, to either them, or human kind in general, but that they could count on her as an ally if the need arose.

Koga took his leave shortly after, but first, he surrendered his two jewel shards to Kagome. Then, after a passing threat to Inuyasha that he’d better always treat Kagome right, a statement that was a formality at best, since he could easily sense the two had already performed the bonding, he took his own mate by the hand, and returned home with the rest of their combined pack.

With the two shards from Koga, the one from Kohaku, and the few shards that Kagome still carried in her tiny jar, they discovered that, with the huge chunk Naraku had had, that they now had all of them. There was a brief time, after she’d fused the pearl back together, that they were at a loss at what to do with the thing. Kagome absolutely forbad Inuyasha from using it to become human, though that too, was formality at best, since he himself had no such intentions. But he also no longer wished to make himself a full youkai. More than just out of fear that the wish would backfire and turn him into the mindless beast he is when he transforms, he’d actually finally learned to accept himself the way he is. He had Kagome to thank for that.

Trying to figure out what was bothering her, since he could easily tell through their bonding that she was mildly depressed as of late, though she outwardly acted just fine, he decided that he’d simply demand she tell him over and over until she finally conceded, even if she sat him a thousand times for his impudence. She only sat him twice, and found she didn’t enjoy bashing her mate’s face into the soil, and ended up, to his utter amazement, removing the rosary from around his neck. She then reflected that she understood he was only concerned for her, and went on to state that much of their arguments in the past could have probably been avoided if she’d been forced to sit down and talk to him (he’d unconsciously flinched when she said ‘sit’ again though the beads were currently in her hands) instead of just slamming him to the ground and running off. Taking a deep breath, she finally confessed that what had been bothering her was that she was afraid that when they purified the jewel that the well would stop working, and though she was fully 100% prepared to spend her life with him in his time, the thought of never seeing her family again formed a deep pain in her heart. She could never ask him to stay in her time with her, and with her increased senses, she didn’t really like her time that much more than he did. But she also knew that they simply couldn’t just keep the jewel, it was too great a risk that something, anything, could end up happening to it. It’ll attract all sorts of youkai, and if a more powerful one were to get a hold of it, they could have a whole new Naraku on their hands. Kagome was startled when she saw the strange smile spread across her hanyou’s face, and asking simply “What?” in the sort of tone meant to relay that she knew he had a wicked thought of sorts cooking in that brain of his, he simply leaned in, kissed her with a sweet chaste kiss, and announced that he now knew exactly what to do with the jewel.

With Kaede’s assistance, so that the pair could meditate (more seriously than the first time they’d attempted the act) they each made sure they were mentally prepared, and that they had the wording figured out exactly right. The jewel had the potential to be used for great evil, but a true good and pure wish, made from love and happiness, would not backfire, and the jewel would be no more (there in lied the dilemma) But Kaede had never been more proud of Inuyasha than she was in this moment, when they’d confessed to her that what they planned on wishing on the jewel, was that Kagome’s well would stay open for the two of them, as well as any and all future children, so she could keep in touch with her family for as long and often as she desired.

With a brilliant flash of light, the jewel grew brighter and brighter, purer and purer, until all coloring was gone from it, the spirits within released, as a hallow and completely crystal clear bobble of useless glass rested in her hand. The first thing the two of them did was run to the well, and were relieved and overjoyed to discover that the blue light of time showed itself on cue, and effortlessly deposited them on Kagome’s side of time. They shared the news of their success with Kagome’s family, of both the defeat of their arch enemy, as well as the purification of the jewel. They ended up deciding to stay in her time for a couple of days, since the New Moon was coming up shortly. Kagome had discovered, rather unnervingly, that due to the nature of their bond, on the nights that her mate lost his demonic senses, so did she. In a strange sort of way, it brought them even that much closer together. Though Inuyasha hated the idea that they were both vulnerable during the same time, at least, they both retained their miko abilities, loosing only the hanyou ones.

Since Inuyasha could easily tell when Kagome was in heat, they chose to wait a couple of years before starting a family, taking the time to simply enjoy one another in what Kagome had playfully begun to refer to as the “never-ending honeymoon.” They’d taken up permanent residence in Kaede’s village, just as Sango and Miroku had along with Kohaku. Though they had decided to wait awhile before having their own kids, little Shippo did stay with them, an adopted son of sorts, one old enough to know when to make himself disappear for a night or two. Miroku and Sango, however, decided not to wait, and with Kohaku being as understanding as Shippo when it came to the adults' privacy, it wasn't long before Sango was expecting their first child.

After she’d turned 18, and legal by her customs, Inuyasha decided to honor her traditions with a human wedding. It was more for her family and friends than for themselves, since even Kagome had said that she didn’t mind that they hadn’t had an actual wedding. They were already committed in more ways than a marriage could ever hope to compare. No piece of paper or ring of metal could increase the strength of their bond. But eventually, Kagome did find herself getting into it, as she shopped with her mother, and her school friends.

She’d told them as many truths as she could, even going as far as to confess that she hadn’t been nearly as sick as she’d led on, stating that she’d spent much of her time with her “boyfriend.” They in turn admitted that they’d suspected as much, since she always spoke of this jealous, two-timing jerk, whom she was hopelessly in love with, that they’d never before met, until that one day in the supermarket. If she were home, bedridden with all these mysterious ailments, when, exactly, was she supposed to have been with this guy? She was relieved they weren’t upset. She went on to say then, that he’d ended things once and for all with the “ex” and that the two of them were getting married.

Reluctantly, her grandfather had agreed lax the customs of a fully traditional Shinto wedding ceremony, since neither Inuyasha, nor Kagome herself, much favored the idea of ten pounds of hair ornaments, and facial makeup that would have made her look like a freaky porcelain doll. Though Inuyasha wouldn’t have minded what he would have considered a traditional wedding, some of those weird customs and ceremonies Jii-chan had mentioned did not exist in his time. Kagome, on the other hand, having grown up in the 20th century, had a fair amount of western influence in mind when she thought of her wedding. They opted for a simple, mostly western ceremony, with ancient and native nuances. Kagome opted for a whitish-cream wedding kimono from the feudal era with a deep red obi that matched her mate’s outfit. Inuyasha was dressed, naturally, in his traditional fire-rat. Inuyasha just didn’t seem Inuyasha dressed in anything else, and she wouldn’t have him any other way. They opted to not go through all the unnecessary changing of clothes, or clapping, or praying, but they also did not exchange rings. Not that she would have necessarily minded wearing a ring, but she knew they did not exist in what she now considered her world, and good luck getting Inuyasha to wear one, anyway. They did do the traditional 3X3 with the sake, as they knelt before the alter, the priest asking the classic “Do you Higurashi Kagome….” etc.

They had ended up having a nighttime ceremony during the New Moon, supplementing the lighting with dozens of torches that made for a rather romantic atmosphere. They had the ceremony outside, at the base of the Goshinboku, of course. Kagome’s school friends apparently never noticed his unusual eye color, questioning only why he’d apparently “dyed” his hair black. He had answered them as honestly as he could, that he simply wished to “fit in” for her. They went on to tell him that he should embrace who he is, and that his uniqueness made him special. They had no idea.

At around age 20, once her body had fully matured and filled out as much as it would, and Inuyasha suspected that she would stop aging, they decided to go ahead and start that family.

Over the years, they ended up having five children, three boys and two girls, though Shippo would always be like their first born, and took the role of big brother very seriously. As it would turn out, the inu genes were very dominant in the bloodline, and though one of the girls and two of the boys had black hair, while the other two children had silver, all five had little fury dog ears upon their heads. Inuyasha had suggested that he might be able to father a human child during the night of the New Moon, and though her heat cycle did not match the timing of his transformation, he knew that they had “ways” in her time, thanks to Sota, of keeping his seed, until she’d be ready for it. She appreciated the gesture, but politely turned him down, stating that she absolutely adored her hanyou family, and logically argued that with their rather large life spans, it wouldn’t be fair to watch their human children grow old and die in what she now considered would be such a short period of time. Based on that reasoning, he consented.

In an unexpected turn of events, Sesshomaru proved to be more like their father than he would have ever previously admitted. Eventually, he submitted to a contractual mating when the fact became apparent that he needed to produce an heir to his kingdom. If something should have ever happened to him, as hard as he tried to deny the fact that anything ever could, it was quite true, that in such an occurrence, that Inuyasha would, in turn, be the only one left to rule the Western Lands. Neither brother truly liked that idea. Sesshomaru did not refer to the inu bitch as his “mate” and neither Inuyasha nor Kagome ever actually learned what her name was. She simply showed up while in heat, apparently, and after only a single act of consummation, she was carrying his pups. At first, Inuyasha and Kagome were appalled that he could be so heartless as to not allow himself to love the female inu, but why eventually became apparent, when he later, after she was grown, claimed Rin as his true mate. As strong and as proud as he was, even so much so that he could not, and would not, allow human blood to taint the line of the heirs to his father’s kingdom, he did manage to swallow his pride when he confessed his love for his human ward. Like himself, his two full-youkai children (both boys) would have hanyou half-siblings. However, unlike Inuyasha’s unfortunate beginnings, Sesshomaru swore he would never allow anything to happen to either himself or his mate, and that their hanyou children would not be forced to raise themselves alone. He also made sure that his full youkai children were not raised to dislike their hanyou siblings, a task that proved easy enough, considering Rin functioned as their mother, as well, and the youkai children were still children when the first hanyou child arrived. He formally apologized for having abandoned his brother in childhood, and Inuyasha nearly fell over in shock when he did so, but eventually, he too, swallowed his pride, and the two were finally like brothers.