InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Remember You ❯ Price of a Life ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
InvincibleInuYasha: *Sigh* I'm tired and sleepy right now. I have to write chapter 29 or Jacketslacker will be IMing me about it nonstop while I'm busy reading other people's fics! Also, I'm upset because last night at the parent teacher conferences, my grades didn't turn out so good. So, sorry it took so long to post, but now I have limited time on the computer and I try to split it up between my daily computer activities such as chatting with my friends, reading fics, and of course,writing fics. Anyway, I'll try to make this chapter good, but I don't know. This chapter will be very full of angst and sadness. But I'll try to make it long. Chapter 30 won't be very long, I'm predicting. But the rest of the story itself will be very juicy. Sorry, I just like the word juicy. lol. On with the fic!

Jacketslacker: Does anyone here really care about the sob story of the author? Show of hands . . . . . now! (Thank GOD for MXC!!!) Anyways, enough from me, let's get to the point of why we're all here.

Disclaimer: I'm poor. It's my parents who have all the money! But even still, I doubt they'll buy me Inu Yasha for my birthday.

JacketSlacker: There's always Christmas!
InvincibleInuYasha: Hmm, you've got a point there...

::Chapter 29: The Price of a Life::

I don't believe my eyes. Tatsuya just disappeared in a blur, and Inu Yasha just gave up. I was sobbing uncontrollably over Inu Yasha's body. He was dead. He left me alone again. But this time, he really is dead. I don't know what happened to Tatsuya. But he's gone. I have no idea what's going on. All I know is that I'm alone again and I'm in pain. Not only in the gash in my waist, but also my heart. It's completely shattered, and now I don't have anybody to fix it for me. I'll just die of a broken heart.

I got up. Inu Yasha stopped Naraku. I have to find the Sacred Jewel. I won't ever let anything like Naraku happen again. But I was on the roof. I couldn't find anyway to get down safely. Suddenly a deep voice came up behind me, "So he has finally been defeated." I jumped backwards and saw Sesshomaru standing there, staring at Inu Yasha's body. He sighed, and for the first time, I saw depression on his face, "At least Naraku is dead too. We'll give my brother a proper burial at a later time." He faced me, "As for now, you must seek out the jewel. You are the only one who can sense it. Inu Yasha, I'm sure, would have wanted you to be in possesion of it." I nodded, wiping my eyes. He lifted me up carefully and jumped off of the roof, carefully putting me back on the blood stained ground.

I tried to look for the Sacred Jewel. I could feel it's strong aura from inside of the castle. I walked towards it, and Sesshomaru followed me, keeping his sword drawn. Deep within the castle, the miasma grew thick. Sesshomaru had the furry thing on his shoulder cover his face again. I realized that I used my only handkerchief for Inu Yasha. Sesshomaru sheathed his sword and offered me a piece of cloth with his one hand. I took it and covered my mouth and nose. Sesshomaru drew his sword again and we continued into the castle.

Eventually, we entered a large dark room with an enormous bed in the center of the room decorated with black sheets. There were bookshelves lining the walls. A large black dresser stood near the bed. There were a few tables here and there. On each of the tables was a small oil lamp. The lamps were rested inside of the hollowed skulls of various small demons and some humans. This was the master bedroom. Naraku's room. I must admit, it was scary, but it was a very elegant room. And the Jewel's aura was very strong here.

I tried to focus all of my thoughts on the Jewel. It was really difficult though. I wanted to see Inu Yasha. And Tatsuya. And they both just disappeared. I don't even know where Tatsuya went! All I was thinking of was them. Will I ever see them again? I couldn't just shove them out of my mind even for a minute. Sesshomaru asked, "Miko, can you not sense the Jewel?" The tears were still leaking from my eyes, "I-I can. But I can't keep my focus on it. Inu Yasha just died and Tatsuya disappeared!" Sesshomaru bowed his head in understanding, "I'm sure it is very hard on you, Miko. But it is essential that you find the Jewel. If you leave it alone, another person, possibly with worse intentions, can come into possesion of such power. You must find it." I nodded and wiped my eyes. I knew it was somewhere in here.

If I get closer to the Jewel, it's aura grows stronger. Since it is pure, and the rest of the room is the opposite, it shouldn't be too hard to sense. So I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate all of my energy into finding the Jewel. I felt a pulse of energy towards the side of the bed, inside of the dresser. I opened it. Inside was one large white baboon pelt and a familiar mask. The energy came from behind the mask. I removed the mask from the dresser and beneath it was the Jewel. I reached for it and was about to touch it when I felt a sharp shock, "Ow!" Sesshomaru stepped beside me and examined the Jewel, "There is a spirit shield guarding the Jewel. By the looks of it, it is very powerful. Could your miko powers enable you to break the sheild?" I shook my head, "I don't know how to use my miko powers. The only times I could use it, I was never able to control it." Sesshomaru reasoned, "The Jewel is pure, as are your miko powers. The purity of the Jewel should call forth your abilities. Do not go so close as to touch the Jewel, but close enough to feel it's energy at your fingertips. There should be a reaction." I didn't know what else to do, so I listened.

I held my hand above the Jewel, almost touching it. And Sesshomaru was right. I felt a strange heat flow to my fingertips. And then the pink glow engulfed my hand and the Jewel. I closed my eyes and I felt the power run through my veins. While my eyes were closed, I felt something shattering. So I opened my eyes. I cautiously went to touch the Jewel, and I picked it up. As soon as I touched the Jewel, the glow left my hand. I looked closer and saw a tiny, barely visible chip in the Jewel. So it really isn't complete.

Sesshomaru and I went back outside of the castle and onto the roof. Inu Yasha hadn't moved. Sesshomaru picked up Inu Yasha's body and slung him over his shoulders, "We will give him a proper burial." I nodded and just followed Sesshomaru to another part of the castle. We returned to the ballroom and Shiori was sitting atop a winged demon. There were only a few other demons left. Sesshomaru placed Inu Yasha's body on the back of another demon. He said, "Ride on this demon. Do not let him fall." Shiroi sat behind me and held onto my waist as the demon blasted a hole through the ceiling and flew through it. I looked down at Sesshomaru and saw that he had turned into his demon form and he was getting ready to fly.

We traveled for two days. The whole time I had stayed awake and made sure Inu Yasha wouldn't fall off. I cried most of the way. There was nothing to stop me from grieving. Shiori tried to cheer me up, but everytime she looked at Inu Yasha's face, her voice cracked and she would begin to cry as well. Eventually we reached Inu Yasha's Forest. Sesshomaru said, "Is there a certain place he should be rested?" I asked, "Can he be buried underneath the Goshinboku? That was where I first met him." Sesshomaru nodded, not saying anything more. Once we neared the tree, he picked up Inu Yasha's body. He didn't really notice nor care that the blood that still seeped through Inu Yasha's haori was now soaking his normally spotless white robes. The demon I had ridden on used its large claws to dig a deep grave. Sesshomaru carefully lowered Inu Yashas's body into the grave. The tears streamed down my face. I still can't believe this is happening. Inu Yasha isn't supposed to die! He said he'd always be there for me!

The demon began to toss the dirt back into the hole, on top of Inu Yasha. I couldn't hold back anymore. I cried out in agony. I didn't care who saw me. It doesn't matter. Nothing will bring Inu Yasha back. Finally, all that was left was a small mound of dirt in front of the Goshinboku. Shiori was still crying. She took one of the blue ribbons from her hair and placed it in the soil. Sesshomaru sighed quietly and said, "Shiori will be safe. She will be under my care. As for you, miko... Do what you will." He began to walk away and Shiori followed him. The demon followed as well. And I was alone next to Inu Yasha's grave.

I don't know how long I stayed beside Inu Yasha's grave. All I know is that now the sun had set and the moon was beginning to provide a light white aura. I was mourning, longing for Inu Yasha to come back. My tears ran out a long time ago. So I sat there, letting the tears dry on my cheeks. Suddenly, my stomach growled. And I began to think about it. Tragedies happen everyday. Yet the people left behind continue life as if nothing happened. How can I be hungry now? It's because I'm only human. I want to stay here forever beside Inu Yasha. But then I'll just die. I got up and whispered, "Goodbye, Inu Yasha. I love you." Then I turned away and headed towards the well.

The blue light faded as I passed through the time barrier. I walked put of the well house and entered my house. Once I reached the kitchen, mom came up to me, "Kagome! What happened!? You're injured! Where's Inu Yasha? And Tatsuya?" All the tears I thought I cried out came back and poured down my face. Mom hugged me and called, "Souta, go get the first-aid kit!" She led me slowly into the living room. I didn't realize how much I was staggering until then. Once I was on the couch, I fell asleep.

I woke up with the sunlight blaring in my eyes, and the birds chirping merrily. I got up slowly and grabbed at my waist. It still hurt, but there were bandages wrapped around the wound. Souta came in and asked cautiously, "Sis? What happened?" I sat back down on the couch and he sat beside me. I asked, "Souta, can I have a hug?" He blinked, but came closer and hugged me. I held him tightly to me and the tears were coming back again. He asked quietly, "Are you okay?" I shook my head. He asked, "What about Inu Yasha and Tatsuya? Where are they?" I whispered, "They're gone." He looked up at me questioningly, "Gone? You mean... they're dead?" I wiped my eyes and said, "Inu Yasha was killed. I don't know about Tatsuya. He just disappeared." Souta kept quiet and hugged me tighter, but staying careful so he wouldn't hurt my wound. After a while I got up and said, "I'm going to change. I want to go somewhere." Souta nodded. I could see the start of tears in his eyes. Inu Yasha was his hero and Tatsuya was his best friend. And now he'll never see them again.

So, I changed and washed my face. I saw the birthday present that Tatsuya had given me for my last birthday. The fallen angel. It reminds me of myself. No where to turn. The crying left my face puffy and red. The last of my friends have died. Tatsuya and Inu Yasha. Even Kouga. They're all gone. I went back downstairs, trying not to cry again. Then I went outside to the Goshinboku. The leaves seemed much brighter now. Even now, hundreds of years into the future, Inu Yasha's body is right here. He'll always be right here. And he's not going anywhere. I can visit him everyday. I went to one of the nearby trees and picked a blossoming flower off. I placed it gently over the dirt, "You're still here Inu Yasha. You always will be."

I decided that I didn't want to be near the shrine right now. I walked down the stone steps and walked beside the road. I remembered about three years ago, when Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kilala were killed. I was really suicidal after that. I was so close to death so many times. I didn't feel like I had to live anymore. But then Tatsuya showed up and he pretty much saved my life. By just being my friend, he saved me. Amazingly, now, even after everything has happened, I don't feel the way I did three years ago. There's something tying me to my life. I just don't know what. I came closer to Tatsuya's house. I wonder how his grandfather is doing. He doesn't know what happened to him. It was only a few days ago since he last saw him anyway. He might come to me to ask where he is though. I wish I didn't have to be the one to break the news to him. I stopped in front of the house for a while thinking about it. Suddenly, the door opened. Tatsuya's grandfater came outside with a cheerful smile on his face.

He came up to me and said merrily, "Hello Kagome. Tatsuya came home today. I had to take him to the hospital again though because he wasn't feeling well." I blinked. Tatsuya's here? But... he disappeared. I asked, "How'd he get back!? I couldn't find him, he was gone!" The old man had a confused look on his face, "I'm not sure what happened. I knew he was discharged from the hospital a few days ago but I brought him back last night. The doctors say that the collision he recieved to his head in the car accident may have triggered some memory loss. But they said it could be easily recovered if he's around somebody he used to be with often. Actually, I was just about to go to your home and ask if you could see him. Would you?" I nodded and he led me into the house. I gulped. Is he the same? How could he just reappear all of a sudden? I mean, he was just gone. Maybe Inu Yasha realized that Tatsuya would disappear if he stayed alive. That's the only reason he made me stop treating his wounds. But if Tatsuya already disappeared, how could he return?


::Chapter 29 End::


InvincibleInuYasha: Okay, this is pretty much the last chapter. There will be a chapter 30, but it is going to be extremely short, much to the dismay of many readers who want the story to continue. But I think I've drawn out too much action already so I can't think of anything else that can happen. But I'm thinking of doing another fic in the near future. Review and let me know which anime you want it on. I'll do my best. The anime I am really familair with are Inu Yasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, and Pita Ten. I know some mangas that might be interesting to write about too. They are Wish, MARS, Paradise Kiss, Magic Knight Rayearth, and I know a little bit about Ranma 1/2. And Rurouni Kenshin, and Cowboy Bebop. If the anime you want me to write about isn't up there, write your suggestion anyway. I'll look up the story and try to mix together a little fic. Just let me know what you want, and I'll take care of everything else from there. But I'll only pick one for now. If nobody else picks, then I'm just going to pick one myself. I don't know if I'll do another Inu Yasha fic right now. I'll do a couple of others before I go back to Inu Yasha. So anyway, this is basically the end of the story. There will be one final chapter. Possibly an epilouge. Not sure yet. It's up to Jacketslacker.

JacketSlacker: I feel betrayed. No questions were answered, only new ones posed. Alright everyone, grab your pitch forks and torches, we're going after InvincibleInuYasha for making us wait this long. You got some 'splainin to do.

InvincibleInuYasha: Duh! See the name? INVINCIBLEInuYasha. I'm invincible! Yargh!