InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Transfer Student Inuyasha! ❯ Alternatives ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Transfer Student Inuyasha!

Chapter 36: Alternatives

Kagome sighed as she watched Inuyasha from the village. The hanyou had been sitting in that tree for hours! Was he really that happy to be home? Had her world been that bad?

~*~*~*~*~

Kaede paced back and forth in frustration. She had to tell Kagome before the day was up. Walking over to the younger miko, Kaede stated, "Kagome, I need to tell you something. It's about Inuyasha."

Curious, Kagome turned her attention to Kaede. "What is it Kaede-baba?"

"You see the portal that was opened is not permanent. It was made as a temporary solution...”

Kagome stayed silent as she took in this information. Did this mean that Inuyasha would be stuck here when the portal closed? She would miss him in school....

"How long until it closes?" Kagome questioned.

"You have until tonight. We never kept track of when it was opened, because the opening was an accident. Please, talk to Inuyasha about this." Kaede watched Kagome think this through.

"Alright. I don't know what he'll do, but I'll tell him."

~*~*~*~*~

"WHAT?!"

The forest echoed from the explosion as Kagome covered her ears with her hands. She hadn't expected Inuyasha to LIKE the news, but she didn't think he needed to go overboard like this!

Inuyasha calmed down after taking a deep breath, and asked, "You mean I'll be stuck in one world or the other?"

Kagome nodded solemnly. 'He's already chosen this world', she thought to herself.

Inuyasha grabbed Kagome's hand and looked into her eyes. "Kagome, you can't help me make this choice. This is big, and I need time to think about it."

Kagome nodded before lurching forward to hug the hanyou tightly. She whispered into his ear, "Whatever you choose, I'll stay with you."

Inuyasha pulled back from the embrace and stared into her deep eyes. "Kagome, I can't ask you to do that. You wouldn't be happy away from your family and your home. Please, leave me alone for a while, ok?"

Kagome looked down at her feet and nodded. Then she dashed away towards Kaede's hut.

~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha propped his head up on his hands and stared into the distance. The sun was already past its peak in the sky, and he knew that before long, it would be time to choose.

'Kagome will never stay here', he thought to himself. 'What can I do? Can I abandon my home?'

Another voice answered, 'Is this really your home? Sure, you've lived here for a long time, but what is holding you here? Kikyo is dead. All this time you didn't think of her as dead, did you?'

'No. Kikyo was never dead to me. As long as Kikyo could talk, walk, and remember, she was alive. But with Kagome, things are different. But that doesn't matter now. She lives in her time, I live in mine. What else can I do?'

'Perhaps you should think of why you decide to remain here. Is it because this is where you grew up, or because of the dream that you refuse to let go of? Do not think of what you'll lose by leaving here, think of what you'll lose if you do NOT leave here....'

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome had some thinking of her own to do. All this time, she had loved Inuyasha. Maybe it had taken a while to realize it, but now that she knew, she didn't want to let go of him. Something about him could always make her smile.

As hopeful as she was, Kagome knew deep down in her heart that he could not stay with her. He didn't understand anything about her time, and he knew this as well as she did.

Staying with him was out of the question. She had school, friends, family, and obligations. Her parents would never understand her choice.

Her other option was to continue to visit this era every once in a while. That had its problems too. A relationship could not be kept over a distance like that. She would most likely end up visiting his time so much that the affects would be the same as if she had stayed in this time. What if they got married? What about any kids that came along? Where would they stay?

Kagome walked towards the well as she thought. She knew that this could be a very final decision. Once she said goodbye to everyone and made up her mind, she wouldn't want to have to say goodbye again for a very long time. It could be years before she visited Inuyasha's time again.

~*~*~*~*~

Shippo watched Kagome as she moved towards the well in a trance. Hopping over to her, he tugged at her skirt.

"Kagome, what's wrong? Are you leaving now? You just got back!" The kitsune pouted at Kagome and crossed his arms in a very Inuyasha manner.

"Shippo, I might have to leave for a while. In fact, I will have to leave for a while." Kagome solemnly answered.

"Don't leave without saying goodbye! Miroku and Sango will want to make sure that you didn't just disappear."

This reminded Kagome that she had to say goodbye to the others. Heading back the way she came, she kept her eyes to the ground; Shippo leaping beside her.

~*~*~*~*~

"Kagome, must you leave so soon?" Kaede questioned.

"Hai. I cannot stay. My family did not even know that I was coming here, and neither did I." Kagome gave a weak grin.

Miroku and Sango guessed what was troubling Kagome, and didn't bring it up. This answered the question of where the hanyou had disappeared.

As Kagome scrambled away from the hut again, she heard Kaede yell, "Don't forget to say goodbye to Inuyasha! He'll be worried about you! And come visit again soon!"

Kagome smiled sadly. Perhaps there wouldn't be another visit. She couldn't bear to tell them what was troubling her. If they knew, her goodbye would be full of sorrow.

Noticing the shape of a hanyou in the distance, Kagome sighed. Playing with the idea of talking to him one more time, even for a goodbye, she studied her options. She couldn't face him after what she was about to do.

"Goodbye Inuyasha. I'll always love you, and you won't be forgotten. You'll have to show me what you decided to do, since I won't be here." And with that, Kagome was gone.

~*~*~*~*~
Wow, this chapter was a long time coming, eh? Sorry to take a year vacation, especially so close to the end. @_@ I'll be surprised if anyone even reads this chapter at this point. Well, I set out to finish it up, and finish it I shall! One more chapter to go. I'm sad about it ending, but I'm very proud of it all, and SO thankful to all my readers. Thanks for keeping me going, even when writer's block and other things get in the way.

Thanks to all my reviewers!! You're so great! Since my next chapter is the last one, I'll be answering any questions at the end of it. If you have questions, just ask away! Thanks for hanging with me this far!

Cheers to you all!
Isuki-chan