InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Transfer Student Inuyasha! ❯ Returning Home... ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Transfer Student Inuyasha!

Chapter 35: Returning Home...

The next morning, Kaede ran towards the trees as soon as she heard the news. The vial was missing, and so was Shippo! Hoping to reach Shippo before he did something regrettable, she dashed to the foliage.

Following Shippo's trail, she soon found the kitsune lying unconscious beside the Goshinboku tree. Waking Shippo proved to be quit a task, but he was eventually aroused.

"Shippo, where's the vial? Quick, you must show it to me!" Kaede breathed.

A drowsy Shippo merely blinked in response. Realizing where he was, he looked around. "Where am I Kaede?"

"You mean, you don't remember how you got here?"

"All I can remember is that I wanted to see Kagome. Everything's a little fuzzy, but I think I got hit on the head by something and lost consciousness." Suddenly Shippo gasped as he remembered what had happened to the vial.

"What is it Shippo? Do you remember now?" Kaede pressed.

"Hai...I'm sorry Kaede!" The upset kitsune flung himself at the miko. Surprised, the miko only waited for more information. "Kaede, it's my fault! I took the vial and came here with it. I wanted to go see Kagome so badly! I tripped on a stone and the vial shattered on that tree!"

Kaede absorbed this for a minute, then let out a hoarse laugh. "Shippo, don't you realize that this is the Goshinboku tree? It will act as the portal, since it is in Kagome's era as well. Did anything else happen?"

Relieved, Shippo quickly answered, "No."

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome laughed on the way back from school as she watched the hanyou. Inuyasha was attempting to catch snowflakes on his tongue, a feat that could not be aided by strength or speed. Giggling helplessly, Kagome couldn't help but stare at Inuyasha.

The hanyou put his hands on his hips and glowered. "What's so funny? If I'm fast enough to catch these, then maybe I can catch Kouga!" Inuyasha returned to his task.

Feeling the presence of something stirring in the woods nearby, Kagome was tempted to investigate. Not looking where she was going, she tripped on a rock and was sent sprawling to the ground. Inuyasha dashed to her side to help her up and make sure she was all right. Any thought of investigation was banished after that.

"So Inuyasha, when would you like to go back to your time again?" Kagome wondered.

"Well, possibly today, if that's alright. Do we have much homework?" Inuyasha responded.

"Hai. We'll have to see if we can make it there today." Not looking where she was going, Kagome walked right into the Goshinboku tree. Waiting for the pain from smashing into such a large object, Kagome closed her eyes. Not feeling anything, Kagome looked up and noticed that she was no longer in her yard with Inuyasha. Instead she was in a forest.

~*~*~*~

Inuyasha gaped in awe as he saw Kagome disappear before his own eyes. It had looked as if she had walked right into the Goshinboku tree! What was going on? Worried for the miko's safety, he walked up to the tree and pressed a palm against it, expecting to find solid bark. His hand passed right into the tree! It felt as if part of him was missing, or somewhere far away.

Determined to find Kagome, Inuyasha braced himself and walked into the ancient tree.

~*~*~*~

The hanyou found himself next to the Goshinboku tree once again, but this time he was in his time! Inuyasha smiled at the feel of the familiar forest. Shaking himself, he remembered that he had a job to do; he had to find Kagome!

When Inuyasha left the forest, he saw Kagome only a little ways ahead of him. Running up to her, he questioned, "Kagome, what's going on? How did we get here?"

"I don't know yet Inuyasha. I'm going to ask Kaede. You came her too?"

"Hai. I guess it's another portal or something."

The couple hurried into the hut in search of answers. They found Kaede at her worktable, and interrupted the miko's concentration.

"Kaede, what has happened to the Goshinboku tree?" They both chorused.

Kaede nearly fell off her chair in a fit of laughter. Apparently seeing the hanyou and miko charge into her hut and demand to know information about a tree was too much for her. The two waited impatiently for the laughter to subside. Finally the older miko stood up and gave them a curious look.

"You made it here already? We were going to send Sango after you. But then again, we weren't planning on using the vial so soon. That was Shippo's fault.."

"Excuse me Kaede, but could you please explain this to us?" Kagome attempted to be as polite as she could in her confusion.

"Oh yes. You see, we were worried about you since you hadn't come back in a while. I prepared a spell that would recreate the portal once again. Sango and Miroku are not here right now, and I don't know when they'll be back, but I hope they return soon. I must tell them that they don't need to go through the portal any more."

Inuyasha nearly danced with joy. He was home, and nothing was going to make him leave!