InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tree Messaging ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko. Though my original characters belong to me, even those reincarnated from canoncal characters.


Should have probably mentioned this sooner, but this story will have some MAJOR spiolers from the manga, though there isn't any in this chapter. Most likely this story won't follow the same ending as the actual ending...I'm not waiting another 5 months for RT to finish the manga so I can finish my story.





Chapter 10




"Damn! Where the hell is she?" the impatient hanyou complained as he paced back and forth through the snow. 'She should be home by now...' he thought to himself.



'Are you sure you can't smell her? She should be here by now...' the tree spirit stated, mirroring his own thoughts. She was sitting at the base of Goshinboku with her eyes closed and her brow creased.



"I know that. And damn it all I can't smell her fresh scent anywhere!"



'Could you at least settle down a bit? Your impatience is giving me a headache.'



"Keh." Inuyasha's nose twitched when it caught a familiar scent. It wasn't Kagome's, but it was on of the girls she hung around with . What was her name again?



'Why is Taiko here? And why does she look upset?'



Oh yeah, Taiko. The girl had just moved here from some other village. She barely left Kagome's side whenever she was here. Why was she alone?



They watched as she ran across the pavement towards the other end of the shrine. "She's going to talk to that monk. I'm gonna go see what this is about."



Aki sighed, 'If it means I can get some peace, take as long as you like.'



Inuyasha snorted as his form disappeared from the winter scene. He reformed on one of the high branches of the sacred tree. From here, he could hear the conversation going on over by the shed.



SLAP!!



He sighed. Doesn't that damn monk ever learn? His furry ears twitched as they picked up the rest of the conversation...



"...something happened to Kagome..."



Those words caught his attention. So that's why the wench was late.



"...stayed after class with..."



So was it something at that school of hers? She had him wor-, irritated because of something at that be-damned school of hers!



"...bloody neck...unconscious..."



"...." The hanyou's body became rigid as those last words replayed in his head. His head was bowed, bangs covering his eyes and most of his face.



The Goshinboku started to creak underneath him. Something at the back of his head started to nag at him to settle down, but he didn't notice. He also failed to feel his fangs and claws grow.



"Damn it..." Pain coursed through his body as those words left his lips. It felt as though he was being stabbed all over his body with sharp daggers repeatedly.



Inuyasha couldn't hold onto the branch for much longer, the pain was almost unbearable. One particularly large stab in the middle of his back finally sent him hurtling towards the ground. He felt the wind race past his face and hair as the ground came closer.



Suddenly, he felt hands on his back that somehow seemed to slow him down until he was laying on the hard rock flat on his stomach.



'Inuyasha, you truly are an idiot...' Aki's voice faded as did the hands firmly placed on his back. What happened?



After his head stopped spinning, he lifted himself up onto his hands and knees. The ground underneath him was cold, hard...and rough...?



Confused, he ran his hand across the grey surface. He felt the sharp rock cut into his palm. He could feel...he could feel!



Ignoring the protests from his still aching body, the adolescent jumped with a big "Whoop!!" He was free, he was finally free!



As his feet hit the pavement once again, some hair fell over his shoulder.



Black hair.



Black, long hair.



"What the-?"



"Excuse me sir." Inuyasha turned around to the monk walking up to him with the girl not far behind him.



"Yeah, what do you want?" What the hell happened?! He finally got out the tree, and he's human?! The kami hated him, he just knew it...



"Do you need assistance for anything? If you would like, I could give a brief tour," he wrapped his arm around Taiko's shoulder, "With the help of my girl-"



"Finish that sentence and you won't live to see summer recess, monk."



Yasuo laughed innocently and backed away, "Why my dear Taiko, would I do anything to deserve that?"



"Do you want me to answer that honestly?" she replied dryly.



"Oh, Taiko-chan!" a voice interrupted them. All three heads turned to see Mrs. Higurashi run up to them.



"Higurashi-san, what's the matter?" Taiko looked at the older woman with concern.



"Your brother just called. He says that Mitsu is missing."



"Oh no...she somehow can always get out, even if we lock the door and windows. I should go home and help Kin find her." She started for the shrine steps.



"Wait Taiko," she paused as Yasuo ran up to her, "What kind of a gentleman would I be if I didn't offer you my assistence?"



"Go ahead dears," Mrs. Higurashi yelled to them, "I'll go talk to Father about the shed, Yasuo-kun." The young monk nodded and went with the school girl, the hanyou-turned-human almost forgotten.



Almost. Mrs. Higurashi turned to the now semi-confused boy, "You're more trouble than you're worth, hanyou."



"Huh?" 'How'd she know?' thought the very confused hanyou.



"I'll explain everything as we move. We have to get out of here, now." Her voice had somehow changed from female to male. Inuyasha raised and eyebrow as the figure in front of him popped in a puff of smoke. As it lifted, a man was in Mrs. Higurashi's place. He had dark brown hair, dark purple eyes and only came up to Inuyasha's chest.



'What is today, 'Give the Hanyou a Migraine' day?'



The man looked up at him, perturbed, "Well, are you going to stand around all day, or are you going to move your butt?"



"Keh," he went towards the steps.



"No, not that way," the man hissed, "do you want the humans to notice you?"



"Feh."



"You're a man of very few words, aren't you?"



He rolled his eyes, "Whatever. Listen smart ass, if we can't walk out of here, then how do we suppose we leave?"



The man smirked, "We fly. Kirara."




~*~




Yomi's chest heaved as he tried to catch his breath as the nekomata flew away. He was leaning against the back of the old well house. That had been way too close for comfort.



He prayed to whatever deity was listening for that small power surge that got that Alliance crone off his tail. Well, it also could have been that miko's spell that kept him hidden. He silently promised to stop picking on the poor girl, though he knew he would never follow through. Making her fume in anger was on of his favorite past times, and he was a weasel youkai after all.



His blue eyes scanned the sky as his pointed ears picked up a buzzing sound. A moment later, a saimyousho landed on his outstretched arm. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a honeycomb to feed it. After it had taken its treat, that insect buzzed its message to him before flying away.



"I've been re-assigned, huh? Well, my work here is done." He stood and smirked as he walked into the dense foliage surrounding the shrine. It was about time he got a promotion.




~*~




"I believe you all know why we're here..." Sessho started. He, along with many of the higher up youkai in the Aliance were sitting in the conference room at his school. He had led Kobushi, Moriko's grandfather, into Giman's room. What he had found disturbed the tiayoukai.



All heads in the room seemed to turn towards one girl, Higurashi Kagome. Who would have known one mortal girl could cause him so many problems. He'd have to cover up the attack of that spy, get the girl to shut up about it and then track the spy down. Did he forget to mention that the girl was a miko, an untrained one at that?



"Sesshomaru-sama," someone from the far side of the room interrupted his train of thought, "was there truly a spy here?"



"Yes..."



The thunder youkai smirked, "And you mean to tell me he got in right under your nose?"



The kitsune next to him coughed, getting the room's attention, "I can explain that, if it is alright with you, Sesshomaru-sama."



The taiyoukai nodded, so he continued, "We don't know exactly how, but Giman was able to cloak his scent, along with his true appearance and aura."



"So?" on of the wolves spoke up, "If he's hiding his scent with another, we can track him that way."



"It's not that easy..."



"What do you mean, Ji-chan?" Moriko asked. "Even if he's covering his scent, whatever he's using to do so has to wear off sometime."



Sesshomaru decided to take command again, "What the kitsune is trying to say is that we believe he was using a spell, a powerful one at that."



The room erupted with murmurings. "Sessho-san, should we call for help from another prefecture? There's a miko in Osaka, and one in Kitami," Suki offered.



"No, they wouldn't be able to help us." The room once again fell into silence. When a miko couldn't help them, it was bad. Miko helped in the balance of reiki and youki. They could counter small amounts of jyaki, but if there was too much, they themselves would be overwhelmed by it.



"What do we do then...?"



"Her," Sesshomaru gestured towards Kagome, "she can help us."



The room erupted into shouting and accusations.



"Have you lost your mind?!"



"Where did she come in?"



"...useless human..."



"...doesn't look like a miko..."



"...gone soft?"



"SILENCE!" he yelled over the other youkai, who quickly obeyed.



"Yes, she is young and untrained, but many of you have yet to sense the power that flows through her. She has more power than any other miko I have seen for the past two hundred years."



"Well, why didn't you say so?" the thunder youkai spoke again, "Just send her away to get trained already."



"Hey," the girl stood and threw a pointed glare at the cocky youkai, "don't I get a say in the matter?!"



"Why should you, you're just a human wench."



"Well this 'human wench' can purify you into the next century!"



Hiten's smirk grew, "Heh, I like girls with a lot of spunk. You doin' anything later?"



"Why you..."



"Enough of this, miko you must be trained. Without any other miko within the city, you'd have to transfer to another. Any suggestions?" he was really starting to get tired of these people.



"Sesshomaru-sama," Kobushi put his foot in, "I have family in Kyoto who can take her in if she goes to the miko there..."



"Oi, jiji," everyone in the room turned towards the new voice coming from the young man in the door, "you're not sending her anywhere."



Kagome stood up, almost recognizing him, "Inu...yasha?"



"Keh, who else would I be?"



Their reunion was cut short however when a small green youkai came running into the room, "Sesshomaru-sama, several youkai in the downtown area have been revealed!"



Inuyasha blinked as what appeared to be an old man stand up and began to walk towards him, "S-Sesshomaru?!"



The taiyoukai turned his cold gaze on him, "We'll finish this later, little brother. For now stay her and protect your girlfriend."



Sesshomaru left the room with Inuyasha right behind him, "Oi, she's not my girlfriend!"





~*~



Also, in the last chapter, I stated that the summer break for Japanese students is 'two weeks'. After actually doing some research, I found its a month long. Sorry about that folks.


jaimed1968 - I hope this chapter answers some of your questions, though hopefully not all of them. I never want to give too much away.

KPawel - Koga has an ego? Since when?!

star - I'm glad you love it. And sorry to say, I love cliffies, even when it's in one of the stories I'm reading. I think it adds some suspense.

MisfitBride - No, Ninku is Sesshomaru's surname. Sorry for the confusion.

Also thanks to angel-up-above-heaven and Hitsugaya630 who also reviewed



Kobushi - feudal warrior



As always, read and review. Finally, no more tests!! Ja ne.




~~~~