InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Try ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~Disclaimer-I own nothing. Takahashi owns the characters. Nelly Furtado sang "Try". Leave comments and reviews please.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome pulled at his arm.
Why would she even go near him? Doesn't she know the danger he is to her?

~All I know
Is everything is not as it's sold

"I know tyou're not as cruel as everyone thinks!" She was yelling at him. A human wench was yelling at the great Sesshoumaru. Not only that, but she had forced him to face her.

~But the more I frow the less I know
And I have lived so many lives
Though I'm not old

Why hasn't he killed her? She is defying him in front of his servant. Hold on! Where did that girl come from? She is hiding behind Sesshoumaru and her scent is very familiar. A human child traveling with my brother? But he hates humans!
"Do you have any idea how much your approval means to him right now?" Kagome was still screaming. "You and I could never understand how he feels! And you think your father weak because he mated with a human, yet you yourself travel and care for a young, human girl."

~And the more I see, the less I grow
The fewer the seeds, the more I sow

Is his face really becoming softer? Ne, it's just my imagination. And yet Kagome has confronted him once and he still has not brought her harm.
"You are insolent and need to learn your place." His voice is monetonous as ever, "But...Rin is merely a being to care for my beast and to preoccupy Jaken. Nothing more."
"LIAR!!"

~Then I see you standing there
Wanting more from me
And all I can do is try

Sesshoumaru finally had a face break. Could that possibly be surprise?
"How dare you!"
That's my que. I couldn't stop, he was threatening her. My Kagome had been threatened and now I will give her everything I have.

~Then I see you standing there
Wanting more from me
And all I can do is try

"You will NOT interfer in this! This miko thinks she can prove something? Let her. I want to know what she thinks is going on." His rage had come down a bit but was still there.
"You baka! It's obvious to any blind man or child that you possess feelings for Rin." Her anger had subsided slightly. "And what I want to know is: why do you hate your brother, who is blood, and yet love this young child who is pure human?"

~I wish I hadn't seen all of the realness
And all the real people are really not real at all

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" Her small voice cut through the tension like a butter knife.
"What is it, Rin?" His face had softened and his voice was gentle or at least more so than usual.
"Rin! Never interrupt his lordship!" Jaken began his shpeal about how she was a human and all the usual stuff.
"Jaken, let her speak." His voice had become harder than when he was yelling at Kagome.
"Sesshoumaru-sama, why am I still with you?" Her question sent shock-waves through the group. "I know you hate my kind, but you brought me back to life after the wolves had....and you allow me to stay with you. But you always deny your feelings in front of others." She motioned for him to sit next to her on the grass and he complied. He sat with her on the grass making everyone else sit on the ground to keep from falling to said ground.

~The more I learn, the more I learn
The more I cry, the more I cry

"I thought I had seen everything. But NO! This little girl in the 3 minutes she has been here has silenced Sesshoumaru AND ordered him to sit without prayer beads.
"What am I to you, my lord?" Her deep brown eyes asked so much of him.
"Rin," he had to pause. Never had such a simple question been so difficult to answer. To others of her kind he would say nothing but a a servant. If he said anything before killing them. It had been nearly ten years and she was eighteen summers old. What am I to you?

~As I say goodbye to the way of life
I thought I had designed for me

How will I do this? He looks down at his hands. Inuyasha thought that for a second there was a look of pain on his brother's face. He wasn't the only one. When he looked up though all emotions were gone. He looked to his left were his young Rin was seated.

~And I see you standing there
Wanting more from me
And all I can do is try

"Rin," he paused again to chose his words carefully, "I have raised you to repay you for that day ten years ago." No one, not even Jaken knew what he was talking about, except Rin.
"Oh, that?" Her matter of fact way of saying it made him shiver. "You paid that in full when you brought me back to the world of the living. With that she kissed his cheek, making everyone stop in thought and motion.
Sesshoumaru sported a look of surprise before thanking the young girl quietly.

~Then I see you standing there
I'm all I'll ever be
But All I can do is try
Try

"Now that that has been settled to a degree," Kagome broke the stunned silence gruffly, "Why are you full of such contempt towards Inuyasha?"
"Our father left my mother to be with that human." He was back to his old sarcastic self. At least this time he was not weilding either of his swords.
"Is that the only reason, brother?" Inuyasha had barely said anything throughout the entire meeting. Sesshoumaru could only begin to understand what was happening at the moment.
"No," he had obviously thought of how he was going to say this, "Father had favored your mother. And it was because of your birth that Father was killer." Hmmph, that feels better.

~All of the moments that already passed
We'll try to go back and make them last
All of the things we want each other to be
We never will be

'Inuyasha?' Kagome reached out a cautious hand.
"You think I don't feel responsible?" Inuyasha tried to remain calm but there were definate feelings about this. "But it's not like I asked to be born to a human and demon!" His voice raised slightly.
Following this there was a long silence that made everyone uncomfortable so there was really no complaint when Kagome stood up and began talking to the two brothers.
"Inuyasha? Sesshoumaru?" She waited for them to look directly at her before continuing in her soft voice. "I can't begin to imagine what you two feel, but I think that you are holding on to things that you can not change. You both need to let go of the past." From the looks she was getting from the entire group she hurried to finish her thought. "Not the people, just the fact that your father left one for another. He evidently loved both of your mothers very much, otherwise you wouldn't be here." Slight pause for it to sink in, "Either of you would be here." They nodded in understanding, "Neither of you will be what the other wants." She sat down having said her piece and was welcomed by the loving arms of one hanyou.

~And that's wonderful, and that's life
And that's you, baby
This is me, baby

Miroku, finally free of his curse, made a move, "You should just move on. You both have women who love you, deeply. You should count your blessings and move on. Forgive each other and move on." After recieving agreeing nods from everyone, even Ah-Un, he motioned for the two to make up.
Taking the hint Inuyasha bent around Kagome with an outstretched hand. Sesshoumaru complied and followed suit, only he didn't have to reach around Rin. After withdrawing from the handshake he wrapped his arm around Rin, who moved into his lap, snuggling against his father's pelt.
"Come, Jaken." Sesshoumaru got off the ground holding Rin in his arm, pressed firmly against his chest."We have stayed here long enough."
Inuyasha gruffly inquired what that was supposed to mean. To which Sesshoumaru only smirked, he smirked! "I will see you around," Sesshoumaru turned to face the group he was walking from, "Little Brother."

~And we are, we are, we are, we are
Free
In our love

Sesshoumaru left and the group was left with a small feeling of accomplishment. And then the physical pain remaining from the final battle let itself be known. Kagome and Shippou set about patching everyone up. Shippou was able to take care of Miroku, Sango, Kirara, and they cared for him. Kagome spent the majority of the night mending Inuyasha and being mended by Inuyasha. Occassionally the two would steal a kiss or carress when they thought the others weren't looking.

~We are free in our love

That night three couples met and made love and that night ten lives were changed for the better. Inuyasha and Kagome adopted Shippou permanently. Sango and Miroku finally gave into their feelings making Kirara feel very put out. Sesshoumaru and Rin made it very cleatr that they were mated. Though the mating ceremony would have to wait until they reached the Western Lands, but tonight they were merely two lovers who were truely in love.