InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tsuki no Aika ❯ Prelude ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Tsuki no Aika (Lament of the Moon)
Summary: The tale of the love between the daiyoukai of the West and a hime from the East.
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its elements. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
~ Prelude ~
 
All he had wanted was peace.

The
kirin had known that. It was why it had come to him, wreathed in flame. It was why it had aided him, guided him, down the path that had led to this moment, this destiny.

He sat in near-darkness and silence, his knee just barely touching the edge of her
tatami. The garden screen door was ajar and beyond it he saw clouds sailing past the crescent moon that was her symbol.

All he had wanted was to protect what was his.

But he knew now that there were things that even
he could not guard against.

She was gone, slipping away in the night.

He looked down at sleeping infant he cradled. His firstborn, his heir. This was a moment in which his heart should have been soaring. Yet, instead of joy, he tasted bitterness. The little one should have been a solace, a bastion against his pain. But he felt no comfort, only a chill that lodged itself deep within him.

She was gone, never to grace his day again.

And their son, who bore her marks on his brow and cheeks, whose tiny face echoed her delicate beauty, would never know the poetry of her every movement, the edge of her incisive wit, the cool precision of her touch, the sharp intellect in her eyes.

Some things even
he could not prevent, some things he could not hold onto.

She had named their child in their last moment together.

In his mind, he could still see her eyes glinting in the dark as she breathed the name:
Sesshoumaru. He would be a great warrior, said she who had always been glorious in battle.

And then, she was gone, leaving him bereft.
 
* * *
 
Thank you for reading! Allow me to pimp the LJ community for this fic (see my profile) ^_^
Glossary
Kirin - Japanese mythological creature that aids the righteous and protects all life. It has been described as having the head of a dragon with a single horn on its forehead, the body of a deer, the tail of a lion and the hooves of an ox. Its body is covered with flame and scales.
Tatami - Sleeping mat woven of buckwheat husk.
Sesshoumaru - Means `the killing perfection'.