InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ Telling The Others ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A dozing monk was suddenly awakened by the shrill yells of a small kitsune who was jumping about wildly about Lady Kaede’s hut. He struggled to sit up hurriedly and prepare his weakened body danger.

“Miroku! They’re back!” Shippo cried jubilantly. “Inuyasha and Kagome are alive! Why are you so tense Miroku?”

The monk relaxed and propped himself up against the hut’s wall gingerly, wincing at every jostle along the way. His friends were relatively unharmed, but a glum look rested on Inuyasha’s face.

“Don’t tell me Naraku has escaped again,” he said in a pleading manner. Kagome flashed a grin and showed him the large shard of the jewel Naraku had left behind.

“Why would there be need for that?” growled Inuyasha indignantly. “You saying I can’t handle myself against scum like Naraku?”

“N..No, not at all Inuyasha,” he replied hurriedly with a fake smile. He searched the room for a quick change of subject. “How’s Sango doing?”

Kagome moved to her friend’s side and pressed a cool hand against Sango’s sweating brow.

“She’s still extremely feverish, but she’ll get better soon. Right?” she stated unsure of herself.

“She’s been sleeping very fitfully,” Shippo remarked concernedly. “Lady Kaede has been doing as much as she possibly can for her, and Kirara and I have been working hard to help, but she shows little improvement.”

As if she had known her named had been mentioned, the aged priestess appeared in the doorway.

“So ye have returned have ye? And with Naraku’s portion of the Shikon jewel. What news do ye bring?” Kaede inquired hopefully.

“Naraku is dead. Kikyo has removed his foul presence from this world,” Inuyasha declared gravely.

“Kikyo?” Kaede and Miroku exclaimed in unison.

“Yeah, Kikyo. She took him to hell with her,” he grunted, annoyance permeating his tone.

“So.. He’s.. He’s really gone then?” Miroku stuttered in disbelief, staring wide-eyed at the hanyou. His gaze shifted to his right hand. Slowly he began to unwind the prayer bead from around his wrist. When he had removed the protective coverings he peered down at his hand. The spot where the wind tunnel had been was now no more than an ordinary palm.

“It’s... It’s gone! My wind tunnel has disappeared!” he cried out joyfully. Inuyasha gave a derisive snort.

“And so’s your greatest defense against enemies,” Inuyasha scoffed.

“Inuyasha! How can you say such things to Miroku? Especially on such a happy occasion,” Kagome reprimanded. Then turning to the monk beaming she exclaimed., “That’s really great, Miroku!”

“Happy occasion? Feh,” Inuyasha grumbled storming out of Kaede’s hut. Kagome, who was now feeling rather guilty, watched him go. She wished she had used a better choice of words. He had just lost the woman he loved for a second time, and she had called it a “happy occasion”. It was not a happy occasion for him.

‘How could I have been so insensitive?’ she admonished herself.