InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ An Unexpected Apology ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Kagome attempted to push open the sliding glass door to her house without hands unsuccessfully. Her arms were laden with groceries and setting them all down just to have to pick them up again was going to be a hassle. She sighed and began to lean against the door, but before her back could make contact with the cool glass, the door flew open and she was sailing backwards. Instead of tumbling to the ground like she expected she would, two strong arms wrapped themselves around her to prevent her from falling. She turned in surprise and found herself face to face with Inuyasha.“Hey,” he said softly, a blush creeping across hi face.“Hey yourself,” she replied with a smile. “I’m surprised you’re here after I was such a jerk. I’m...” She was interrupted by the placement of a finger over her lips.“I’m sorry,” Inuyasha stated quietly. Kagome’s chocolate brown eyes widened in surprise. “I overreacted.”“What? No you didn’t. I didn’t consider your feelings. I should’ve been more considerate, after all I realize how strongly you felt about Kikyo,” she exclaimed. “The Shikon jewel is almost whole. If you wish to bring her back, you could use it to do so,” she added disconsolately.“Huh?”Did she want him to be with Kikyo? Were his feelings unrequited? A glum look crossed his face as he followed Kagome into the kitchen.“Of course, if you don’t want to, you don’t have to,” Kagome said hurriedly upon seeing the look on his face. “I just want you to be happy.”She meant that. Even if it meant casting her aside for his twice dead lover, she wished him nothing but utter happiness.‘He always did seem to want her around more than he did me,’ she thought to herself while setting the groceries on the kitchen counter. ‘In fact, I always seem to be in the way.’“You want me to be happy?” he inquired in surprise. Kagome nodded in answer, and he pulled her into an embrace. “Then don’t leave me after the jewel is whole.”Kagome pulled away from the embrace and peered up at him from under raven bangs. His golden eyes were gentle and full of care. They told her that the feelings she had for him that she had tried to cast away were not unreciprocated.“You.. You don’t want to bring Kikyo back then?” she queried hopefully. Inuyasha shook his head. “Then what are your plans for the jewel. Please don’t tell me you still desire to become full demon.”Inuyasha sensed the concern in her voice. Even though his use of the jewel to become a full youkai was the only intention she knew he had for it, she was still offering it to him. She really did want him to be happy.“I...don’t really know what I want to do with the jewel once it’s made whole anymore,” he remarked.“I’m glad,” Kagome replied, smiling in relief.