InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ Back At The Hut ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Miroku positioned himself carefully in the doorway of Kaede’s hut so that he could enjoy the warm summer morning and keep an eye on the injured demon slayer as well. He enjoyed the fresh morning air and the rays of summer sunshine that warmed his healing body. He was watching Shippo and Kirara frolic playfully when he heard Sango stir in her sleep.

Miroku turned quickly to check on her and noticed her dark brown eyes fluttering open. Dazedly she watched him move to her side.

“Mi..Miroku,” she croaked, before her body was wracked with a fit of violent coughing.

“Sango! Are you all right?” Miroku inquired concernedly after her coughing had subsided.

“My head feels like its been split in two,” she groaned softly trying to sit up unsuccessfully. Miroku helped her prop herself up against a wall. “How long have I been out?”

“Two or three days now,” he replied handing her a bottle of water. “We’ve all been very worried. Kagome and the others will be relieved to hear that you’re recovering.”

“Kagome? She’s okay? Is Inuyasha all right? Where are they? What happened? Naraku didn’t escape again did he?”

The questions poured out of her mouth before she could stop them.

Miroku smiled at her in reassurance and said, “Everyone is fine Sango. Kagome has gone to get more medicine and Inuyasha is probably out wandering in the forest. As for Naraku, he is no more. You have exacted your revenge.”

“Naraku is slain?!” she exclaimed wide-eyed.

“Yes. We are finally one step closer to ending this wretched adventure. Soon enough we will be able to lead normal lives again.”

Sango caught Miroku’s innuendo, and a look of worry crossed her face.

“Kohaku,” she murmured almost inaudibly, then more loudly she declared, “I must find him!”

“Not now Sango,” Miroku protested in exasperation, cursing himself silently. “You’re still much too weak to travel. You must stay and rest.”

“But I cannot leave him alone right now. He’s probably lost and confused and who knows if his memories have returned to him or not. He could be in danger or hurt. I must find him Miroku.”

Miroku reached for her hand and held it tight in his own causing a blush to spread across Sango’s delicate features.

“Sango, please stay and rest,” he persisted. “If it will please you I will go and search for him. Please don’t give me any more reason to worry about you.”

‘He... He was worried about me,’ Sango thought in surprise.

“Miroku.. I.. I don’t know what to say,” she stuttered.

“Just say that you’ll take it easy while I’m gone,” he replied.

“But Miroku, you’re injured as well. You don’t seem to be in any condition to go search for him,” Sango protested.

“I’m fine,” he lied, releasing her hand and rising unsteadily to his feet. Sango eyed him suspiciously.

“Well, at least take Kirara with you,” she sighed capitulating. She watched him leave the hut as concern for his well being filled her thoughts.
‘I hope he’ll be all right,’ she thought to herself as she drifted back to sleep.