InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ Grocery Shopping ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Inuyasha rummaged through the brown paper grocery sacks, wrinkling his nose at the multitude of medical supplies he found.
“Come on Kagome.. Didn’t you get anything good to eat?” he whined.
“Oh! I completely forgot!” she exclaimed while filling her oversized, yellow backpack. “Would you like to go back the store with me? You can pick out whatever you want.”
“All right,” he replied none-too-enthusiastically as he caught the blue baseball cap she had thrown at him.
They strolled through town casually, Kagome leading the way. Inuyasha gaped at all the foreign summer sights, as she led the way to a small grocery store He would never become accustomed to Kagome’s strange village. Upon entering the store, the aroma of food filled Inuyasha’s sensitive nostrils. His stomach gave a low growl.
“Back so soon?” the plump cashier asked with a smile. “And with a friend I see.”
“Just forgot a few things,” she replied returning the elderly woman’s warm smile. She grabbed a dark blue basket from off a shelf and then took Inuyasha’s hand in hers. He was surprised with the sudden gesture but pleased nonetheless as he followed her toward the food aisle. He squeezed her hand gently causing a contented smile to form on Kagome’s lips.
“So what do you want?” she inquired her dark eyes sparkling.
‘You,’ he didn’t say it, but the thought rang clear in his mind. He tried to push it out of his thoughts.
“How about some more of that ninja food,” he replied quietly unable to keep his eyes off of the attractive young woman. Inuyasha watched her as she filled the basket with many of his favorites and a few treats for Shippo, but he wasn’t interested in the food. His eyes were locked on Kagome.
After awhile, Kagome began to notice Inuyasha staring at her. Finally she looked up at him, curiosity written on her face.
“What do you keep staring at me for, Inuyasha? Do I have something on my face or something?” she asked. His cheeks flushed and he quickly averted his eyes.
“I..I’m not staring at you, you stupid girl!” he snapped angrily. Suddenly the fear of being “sat” washed over him, but, luckily for him, she sighed heavily and returned to browsing.
“All right, so maybe I was. What of it?”
Kagome chuckled to herself quietly causing Inuyasha to glare at her in annoyance.
“What’re you laughing at?” he demanded, pulling his hand out of hers.
“You,” she replied still giggling.
“Feh!”
Kagome sighed again and sauntered slowly to the cash register, her basket full of groceries.
“A few things?” the old cashier asked with a knowing smile, her eyebrows raised at the multitude of food. Kagome grinned sheepishly and paid for the groceries.
They took their time on the walk back to the shrine, meandering here and there instead of walking directly home. Rays of summer sun poured out of the sky and onto the pair. They enjoyed their warmth and the company of one another. Despite the enjoyment they took in each other’s company, they remained silent as they walked. Kagome was content just to be in Inuyasha’s presence and felt no need to speak. Inuyasha, on the other hand, couldn’t think of what to say. He wanted to say so much to the young woman at his side, but he could think of so little.
As they neared the shrine Inuyasha felt compelled to ask, “Kagome, what do you plan to do after the Shikon Jewel is complete?”
She stopped a second, shifted her weight from one foot to the other as though she was uncomfortable, and looked at him as though she were confused.
“I...I don’t really know,” she admitted as she began walking again. “It depends on what is done with it, I guess.”
He stopped and grabbed hold of her arm, an indiscernible expression in his golden eyes. His gaze was so intense that Kagome hardly noticed he was standing in front of the God Tree. It almost felt as if nothing but them existed.
“Promise that you wont stop coming to me,” he beseeched almost desperately. Genuine surprise filled her.
“Inuyasha,” she said gently. “Why would you even think I could do such a thing?”
He pulled her into an embrace, smiling happily.
“I’m glad,” he exclaimed softly.