InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ Miroku Missing? ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]
“Inuyasha! Kagome!” squealed a tiny kitsune jumping up and down excitedly. “Miroku and Kirara have disappeared. I’ve been waiting here for Kagome to return for.”Inuyasha helped Kagome and her overstuffed backpack out of the well.“I didn’t know you went to Kagome’s era, Inuyasha,” Shippo remarked slyly.“Shut up you little runt,” Inuyasha snapped, striking the young demon on the head roughly.“Shippo,” Kagome interjected, interrupting their banter, “have you asked Kaede if she knows where they went?”“I did! She was just as surprised as I was when I told her they went missing,” he replied, his voice full of concern.“Has Sango woken up yet?” Kagome queried hopefully. Right now, good news would be a relief.“Not that I know of,” Shippo answered sadly. Kagome’s heart sank, and a disconsolate expression crossed her face.“Well, lets go see to her then,” Kagome ordered, staggering under the weight of her enormous backpack.“Let me get that for you,” Inuyasha offered gently, relieving her shoulders of their burden.“Thanks, Inuyasha!” she exclaimed straightening and beaming broadly. Shippo eyed his friends suspiciously.They arrived at the hut to find the demon slayer sweating profusely and muttering incoherently in her sleep. Hurriedly Kagome retrieved a strip of cloth and a bottle of water from her bag. After dampening the cloth with cool water, she placed it over the girl’s feverish brow with care.“Miroku!” Sango called out loudly, startling her friends. They all turned their attention to her hopefully.“She’s just talking in her sleep,” Kagome stated disappointedly, looking crestfallen. She longed for her friend to be well.“Miroku... No.. Don’t go!” Sango muttered, tossing about fitfully. “Please... You.. are too weak.. Don’t.. go..”A suddenly an idea hit Inuyasha. He turned to the his friend with a look of determination in his eyes.“Don’t go where Sango?” he demanded quietly.“After.. Kohaku,” she whispered.“The idiot!” Inuyasha hissed angrily. Kagome could tell he was worried.“Go find him, Inuyasha,” Kagome urged. “I’ll stay and take care of Sango so I wont slow you down. Hurry!”Inuyasha nodded and started to leave.“And please,” she added, “stay safe.”He turned and shot her a wry smile, his golden eyes emanating an intense care for the raven-haired girl before him“Don’t worry about me, Kagome,” he averred softly. “I’d be more worried about Miroku with all those demons out of hiding now that Naraku is dead. He’d better be all right.”Kagome watched as he dashed out of the hut and into the quickly darkening forest, listening to the sound of his heavy footfalls until it disappeared. The glowing orange sun was sinking in the sky and the red sky was fading to a dark velvety blue. Stars were beginning to make their appearance throughout the sky and crickets chirped peacefully. The only other noise Kagome heard was the snoring of the exhausted kitsune that lay in her lap, sleeping peacefully.She was tired as well, but she did not feel like sleeping. For once, she felt at peace, and she wanted to hold onto that feeling for as long as she could. Sango slept soundly and seemed to be recovering, and Inuyasha would find Miroku. Everything would be all right. There was nothing to worry about.Her thoughts turned to they events earlier that day. While standing under the God Tree in Inuyasha’s arms, she heard him say it. He wanted her here with him. She no longer felt like a shard detector that was good for nothing else. He didn’t want Kikyo back, he wanted Kagome to stay with him. It was such a comforting thought, and the knowledge that all the heartache he had put her through was not for nothing helped to put her mind at ease even further. She had never felt more relieved or relaxed.“Kagome?” Sango groaned, rolling over to face her friend. Kagome carefully moved the dozing fox from her lap.“Sango! How are you feeling?” she exclaimed brightly.“Awful,” Sango admitted dryly.“You did take a pretty rough blow to the head and Naraku’s miasma made you pretty sick, but you should be feeling a lot better soon,” Kagome stated, rummaging through her bag. She pulled out a bottle of water and a few aspirin. “Here take these,” she said handing them to Sango. “They’ll help with your headache and fever.”“Thank you,” Sango replied, sitting up gingerly and ingesting the medicine. “Do you know if Miroku is here?”“No,” Kagome said quietly her face darkening. “Inuyasha has left to search for him, and he has been gone almost an hour. I hope they’re both all right.”“Me too,” Sango muttered, realizing that somehow she knew what Miroku had left to do. “I did tell him not to go. It will be all my fault if something has happened to him.”“Don’t be silly, Sango,” Kagome chided gently. “He left to find your brother because he wants for you to be happy. He knew that you were not well enough to go, so he went in your place. Miroku understands that if something were to happen to Kohaku, you’d never forgive yourself. Don’t dwell on it, Sango. Inuyasha left to find him. I’m certain they’ll both be just fine.”Sango gave Kagome a grateful smile. Kagome always seemed to know exactly what to say to make her feel better.