InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ Enter Kohaku And An Unexpected Visitor ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A/N: So apparently this site is messing up my story format for some of chappies.. If anyone has any idea about how to go about fixing that I'd be extremely grateful!!

“That damned fool,” Inuyasha growled to himself, crouching low to sniff the ground. If he was with Kirara, it would be almost impossible to catch their scent. Idiot monk. What was he thinking running off like that?
Inuyasha leapt nimbly onto a slender but sturdy tree branch with the hopes that he might be able to catch the scent of the demon cat, but as the wind shifted, his nose met with a distasteful scent. The pungent smell of human blood filled his nostrils as he sniffed the air.
Concerned that his friend might have something to do with this scent, Inuyasha hurried in its direction. He came upon a ravaged village in which a large centipede was filling its belly.
“Damnit!” Inuyasha cursed. “I don’t have time to waste on the likes of you. So hurry up and DIE!”
The centipede focused its attention on the hanyou for a split second. Instinctively, Inuyasha unsheathed and transformed his Tetsusaiga, but the centipede suddenly shifted its attention elsewhere. Inuyasha realized that the horrible creature was already engaged in battle. He caught sight of a young boy wielding a scythe-like weapon and recognized him instantly as Kohaku.
“Get out of the way, kid!” he yelled to the young demon slayer, who moved aside quickly. “Windscar!”
The fierce attack sliced the demon into bloody halves, that fell to the ground simultaneously with a large thud.
“You!” the boy exclaimed. “You travel with that nice woman.”
“Her name’s Sango, and she’s worried sick about you, kid. How about you come with me?” Inuyasha requested. The boy glanced back at the ruined village and slaughtered villagers with uncertainty.
“But these nice people have let me live with them. I cannot leave them now when they need my aid,” he replied. Inuyasha snorted derisively. Suddenly, a craven headman burst from his hiding spot and took hold of Kohaku’s hands.
“Think nothing of it,” he said hurriedly. “Just get this demon out of our village. The other has already done enough damage.”
“What was that?” Inuyasha growled. “You’re lucky I don’t have time to spare, or else you’d be regretting your lack of manners.”
Kohaku remained hesitant. Sighing heavily, Inuyasha grabbed him by the back of the kimono and leapt off into the forest in the direction of Kaede’s village.
“Wait! Where are you taking me?” Kohaku protested, struggling to free himself from Inuyasha’s firm grasp.
“Shut up,” Inuyasha ordered in exasperation, setting the adolescent down in front of Kaede’s simple hut. He motioned for the boy to follow him inside of the hut, and he did so obediently.
“Hey Kagome,” Inuyasha greeted, causing the fair girl to look up from her homework. “Look who I found.”
“Kohaku!” she gasped in amazement. “Sango will be so glad to know that you’re here. When she wakes up that is.”
“The.. The nice lady,” Kohaku stuttered, worry etched on his face, “will she be okay?”
He had a right to be worried. Although she was recovering quickly, Sango’s face was still pallid and weathered. She looked very ill.
“She’ll be fine,” Kagome replied soothingly. Kohaku looked slightly relieved, but still moved to his sister’s side protectively.
“So, did you find any signs of Miroku?” Kagome inquired hopefully.
“No... I..,” Inuyasha trailed off, suddenly tense. He sniffed the air and a look of disgust crossed his face.
“What is it, Inuyasha?”
“Company,” he growled in annoyance. Kagome gave him a bemused look.
“Been taking care of my woman?” an arrogant voice demanded from the entryway. Kagome’s eyes moved to the source of the voice. There stood a lean, young wolf demon carrying their missing friend over his shoulder.
“Miroku!” Kagome exclaimed.
“Yeah, I brought you a present,” Koga remarked as Kirara bounded into the hut. “What was the fool doing traveling in his condition. Especially with that cat as banged up as he is. Good thing I was there to catch him.”
“Catch him?”
“Yeah, he must have passed out or something. I don’t know. Anyway, he fell and the poor demon cat must not have been able to catch him. Its amazing she could even carry him,” the wolf explained, motioning to the demon that was already sleeping next to Shippo.
“Well, thanks so much for bringing them back here,” Kagome thanked him enthusiastically. The wolf grasped both her hands tightly.
“Anything to make my woman happy,” Koga declared, a smug look on his face. Kagome faked a sweet smile, but the look her eyes held was clearly saying, ‘Let go of me already!’ Inuyasha just glared at the pair, seething in silence.
“So,” Koga began, moving away from Kagome, “I heard Naraku has been defeated.”
“Yeah, what of it?” Inuyasha spat contemptuously.
“I thought I told you Naraku was mine, muttface. How’d a half demon like you manage to defeat him anyway?” Koga inquired casually but rudely. Inuyasha’s face darkened.
“Well actually,” Kagome interjected meekly, “Kikyo defeated him, not Inuyasha.”
“Either way,” Inuyasha growled, his voice dangerously low, “we’ll be needing those shards in your legs, wolf.”
Koga laughed, a loud, mirthless laugh.
“Come and take them, then.”
The air in the hut grew thick with tension as Inuyasha cracked his knuckles and reached for his Tetsusaiga. A look of determination shone in his golden eyes. Koga tensed slightly, but his masculine features still held a look of smug amusement. Kagome’s expression quickly changed from one of horror to one of outrage.
“Inuyasha! Now is not the time to worry about jewel shards. Although we may need them, our friends need their rest. How can they do that with you two making a ruckus?” she reprimanded. “And Koga, how dare you challenge him! You know how he is. I appreciate the fact that you brought Miroku back to us, but I think it’s best if you leave.”
Koga stood stock still, eyes wide with shock at being chided. He recovered quickly, nodded farewell, and ran swiftly from the hut calling, “Take care of my woman mutt!” as he left.
“Why that mangy wolf,” Inuyasha fumed. “His woman.. Feh.. Kagome why’d you send him off like that? I could’ve had his shards.”
“Sure you could’ve,” she replied yawning.
“You don’t believe me?” Inuyasha demanded.
Kagome rolled her eyes and turned to Kohaku, who was chuckling at the hanyou.
“Feel free to stay as long you like,” she stated softly. “Your sister will be so glad to see you when she awakens.”