InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ A Romantic Confession and Heated Argument ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Kagome woke to the warmth of early morning sunlight streaming into the hut from the open doorway. Everyone else inside the hut remained fast asleep. Inuyasha was not present. Curious to discover where he had gone, Kagome wandered outside slowly and found the hanyou resting quietly in a tall, dead tree protruding like a black spike from out of the ground near Kaede’s hut. She squinted to keep the bright sunshine from agitating her eyes and stared at the lone figure before making her way towards it. When she reached the base of the tree, she sat, reclining against the trunk.
“Morning,” Kagome yawned, greeting Inuyasha warmly. He leapt down from the tree and sat beside her, eager to be in her presence. They sat in silence for a long while, Inuyasha too enthralled by the way the slight morning breeze teased the raven strands of hair that blew across her fair face to speak. He reached over and brushed the strands out of her face, gently caressing the smooth, ivory skin of her warm cheek. In reply to his gesture, she gave him a contented half smile and leaned into him, wrapping her arms around him tightly.
Inside the hut, the small kitsune stirred sleepily. He sat up, rubbed the sleep from his eyes with his tiny fists, and surveyed his surroundings with large emerald eyes. A quick glance outside the hut betrayed Kagome and Inuyasha’s whereabouts to the mischievous fox. Hurriedly he moved to the entrance to peek outside and watch the pair, but carefully made sure he was not in sight.
“Inuyasha..,” Kagome began uncertainly.
“Yes, Kagome?” he replied.
“Oh... Um.. Nevermind,” she sighed.
“No, what is it?” he demanded curiously.
“Do... Do you love me?”
Shippo’s eyes widened in surprise at her question as he watched Inuyasha’s do the same. A scarlet blush crept across the half demon’s face.
“What!?” Inuyahsa exclaimed. “Why would you go and ask a thing like that?”
She pulled away from him quickly, her eyes showing hurt and anger she felt at his reply.
‘Oh, now you’ve done it, Inuyasha,’ Shippo fumed silently. ‘What an idiot!’
“How could you think, even for a second, that I don’t?” the hanyou asked softly. Tears were now flowing freely down the young woman’s cheeks as Shippo’s jaw dropped at his rejoinder.
“Kagome? Why are you crying?” Inuyasha inquired bemusedly. “Did I say something wrong?”
“They’re tears of relief,” she replied laughing through her tears. “Its just nice to finally know that you feel the same way I do.”
“Well you don’t have to go and cry about it,” he scoffed rudely.
“Inuyasha, you’re such a jerk,” Kagome sighed rising to her feet.
“What!? What did I do?” he demanded angrily, watching her stalk off. “Stop walking off and answer me you stupid girl!”
“Inuyasha,” Kagome growled, whirling around suddenly, fire dancing in her chocolate eyes,” sit boy!”
“Those two will never grow up, will they?” Shippo sighed to himself in exasperation, watching the pair bicker loudly. He returned to the spot he had been resting and faked a yawn as the angry girl stormed into the hut to check on her friends.
“Morning, Kagome.”
“Oh, Shippo! I didn’t know you were awake,” she exclaimed in surprise.