InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tying Up Loose Ends ❯ Indecision Runs Amok ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]
After a few days of rest, the injured members of Inuyasha's party were feeling much better. Sango had recovered more quickly after she discovered Kohaku was now staying with them, and Miroku's broken ribs and wounds had started to heal. Both had regained the majority of their strength and would soon be ready to start traveling again. But, where would they go? What more had they to do?

Sango tried avoiding the subject, since finishing the Shikon-no-Tama was the major focus. She had finally been reunited with her brother and was not about to lose him again. Inuyasha, on the other hand, was vehement about gathering the rest of the shards. It seemed as if he was still angry by Koga's previous visit and couldn't bear to let the wolf keep the shards he had. He wouldn't allow the fiend to escape from his grasp with the shards unscathed again.

Kagome was torn. She did not know whether or not they should collect shards. If Inuyasha had no more plans for the jewel, why should worry about it? She could just do as Kikyo once did and protect the jewel. Well, the large fragment she had. She wouldn't have the same problems Kikyo had after falling in love. Her love for Inuyasha and her friends made her grow stronger, not weaker. Still, did she want to remain in constant pursuit?

These thoughts plagued her mind as she carefully attending the food she was cooking over a small firepit in the middle of Kaede's hut. The boys, Shippo and Kohaku, were outside playing merrily with Kirara, and Sango and Miroku were enjoying the fresh, summer air. Inuyasha was off gathering more wood to fuel the small fire.

Kagome leaned back and away from the fire, deciding to take a small break as she let the ramen simmer. She wiped beads of sweat from her flushed face and fanned herself lazily with one hand. It was too hot outside to be stuck inside cooking. The added heat of the fire was beginning to make her drowzy as she reclined comfortably against a wall in the hut. She decided she would rest her eyes a bit.

"Aren't you supposed to be cooking?" Inuyasha scoffed scathingly, startling the lightly dozing girl.

"Oh!" she exclaimed jumping slightly from surprise. Inuyasha looked from her to the food that was cooking over the fire. Hurriedly, Kagome moved forwards to stir it before the noodles on the bottom were burnt. Inuyasha squatted next to the girl and began to feed the fire with small sticks, watching nonchalantly as the small pieces of wood disappeared in the flames.

"Inuyasha, I've been thinking," Kagome said meekly.

'Great, that's never a good thing,' Inuyasha thought silently.

"Oh yeah? What about?" the hanyou asked shooting a sideways glance at the pretty young female.

"What if... What if we don't finish gathering the shards of the jewel? Koga's are perfectly safe with him, and I couldn't bring myself to take Kohaku's."

Inuyasha furrowed his rather prominent eyebrows and have her a look that said, 'I have no idea what you are getting at.'

"I could, well, we could protect the part we have, almost like Kikyo used to protect the jewel," she continued. "That way I'll have a way to travel between times and Sango wont lose her brother."

"Kagome, you haven't thought this through very well have you?" the silver-haired hanyou inquired softly, almost as if he was talking to himself.

"What do you mean?" she demanded indignantly. "It seems like a good idea to me."

"So we protect the jewel, but what happens after you pass on? Who's going to protect it then? And, there are still three shards out there that power-hungry demons are itching to get their filthy hands on. What happens you need to return back home? You've had demons follow you through the well and find you in your own era. Do you really want your friends and family in constant danger? You're era already seems like its dangerous enough."

The young woman's eyes softened as she listend to the half-demon. He hadn't been insulting her by his previous statement, he was just concerned for her.

"Anyway, you're nowhere near as strong as Kikyo was, and I'm tired of running around after you and saving you all the time. What'd happen if I wasn't around one day and some demon ran off with you and the jewel? You're practically helpless without me. You can't expect to be able to protect that thing," Inuyasha scoffed derisively.

Kagome's chocolate eyes narrowed at his rude remark.

'So much for not trying to hurt my feelings,' she said to herself, sighing heavily.

"What are you giving me that look for?" Inuyasha inquired nervously upon noticing the annoyed glared Kagome aimed in his direction.

"I don't know, why don't you tell me?" she fumed angrily, rising to her feet hurriedly. "By the way, I've decided I'm too helpless to cook that ramen, so why don't you finish making it!"