InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Under a Crimson Sky ❯ Premonition ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ahhhhh….. it sure feels good to be home! My stay in Newfoundland was beautiful and memorable as always! I love the mountains…driving through Grosse Mourne was awesome....one day I will see Fuji-san….(hopefully sooner rather than later…I wanna go to Japan while I'm still young) Now off to work…since the day I got back its been WORK WORK WORK….11 days straight to be exact. I wanted to finish this chapter before I left for my shift today, I know you guys are anxious to find out what happens next (well at least I hope you are..LoL) 99 reviews so far! COME ON…someone make it 100!! Pretty please with cherries on top??? LoL! Love you guys! Now…on to the reading…

Premonition

The night was on fire, the stars were bleeding above her. Her breathe was feverish, her brow lined thick with sweat. Dread filled every particle of her being; foreboding laced with her every hurried step. Her destination was unknown, but somehow her feet knew where he was. She entered the wood, sensing she was close. Brush slapped unmercifully against her flush cheeks leaving thin red lines. Her breathe hushed. She found him lying slumped against the bark of a cherry tree, its sakura hauntingly dancing around his broken form.

"Kohaku!!!…." She screamed.

The stars fell out of place in the heavens, falling faster towards the earth below in sympathy. She ran to his crumpled body, crying out in anguish. He was dead. His eyes focused at the sky, staring blankly at his sister's tear ravaged face. Arms outstretched, she took the last remaining member of her family into a familiar embrace. She hummed softly, gently crooning him under her chin, rocking slightly back and forth in a subtle gesture of sorrow. His body was cold and ridged in her arms.

The leaves quivered above her as the wind brushed past, howling alongside the cries of the grief stricken woman below. A lowly raven sat perched on a branch above, dark as night. Moonlight reflected off the steel blade as it was raised, she looked into her brothers lost eyes once more. Steel met flesh; the raven cawed and circled her dying form…her eyes opened wide.


"Ototo!!!!!!" She sat straight up, her breathe coming out in rasps, a warm violet embrace enveloped her, calming her only slightly.

"SangoSango!! I'm here….it's alright…I'm here….I'm here….shhhhhh"

The worried monk held her in his arms as she racked in sobs, quieting her as the moments passed. When she calmed enough to speak he questioned her.

"Kohaku died…it was a dream but it felt so real……I could feel the soul leaving his body. I don't know what came over me..I...I…never dream of such things."

He kept his mouth shut, not wanted to divulge his thoughts of her dream, afraid of upsetting her more.

A red orange orb slowly rose in the horizon, warming the earth in its grip. The group ate, packed, and hurriedly continued their journey to the den of wolves. They remained silent, all deep in thought. Shippou keenly noted that the missing red clad' din member of their group had not returned that night as usual. At this, Sango and Miroku exchanged brief looks of anxiety but remained silent…


Inu-Yasha carried an enraged Kikyo to a nearby stream to wash the gaping wound in her arm. After which she simply called upon her miko energy to heal it once it was clean. The flesh closed, leaving a long white scar in its wake.

"Wretched girl!!!! How dare she try to attack me! Her feeble attempts are no match for my power…she will pay! Indeed….in time she will.

Inu-Yasha stared vacantly as the sleeve of his haori repaired itself. Kikyo gathered her belongings and mounted the back of her puppet yet again, leading him towards the west of Mushashi County.

"We will retrieve the wolf's shards on our return; I'm content in allowing her to watch her lover die for the time being. Demo…right now the final shard is too temptingly within reach to ignore. This should prove easy…he is only a young boy after all…."

Inu-Yasha merely grunted in reply, and obediently continued his rapid pace as Kikyo's icy hand lightly gripped the back of his neck.


Ginta and Hakkuku, bleary eyed and confused arose from the damp grass and left their outpost, heading towards the den.

Kagome managed to dress and bandage the more serious wounds inflicting her mate and quickly pulled a fur wrap over her head as Ginta and Hakkuku ran into the den, calling out their leader's name. Their eyes opened wide and jaws dropped on site as they neared the bed.

"Nani??????? How in the hell did this happen??? Screamed Ginta in shock.

Kagome eyes misted over, she whispered a name to which most occupants of the cave howled in rage from upon hearing.

"That damned mutt! How dare he harm our leader and his mate! We will avenge yo….

"Shhhh….That's enough you'll wake Kouga…he needs his rest right now, he's lost a lot of blo..."

Her pleas came too late. Kouga grunted. His eyelids flickered, revealing the deep blue orbs underneath, only to behold the worried ones of his mate.

"Kag...ome? He sniffed the air…the bastard has left. I guess that's all you can expect from a cowardly mutt.

His nostrils flared as he deepened his breathe, his chest rising high. His eyes flashed a dangerous red, pooling with anger.

"KAGOME! You're hurt! I smell dried blood on your chest. WHAT DID THAT SHIT FACE DO TO…..??"

Before he could finish his eyes rolled back, a trickle of blood snaked from the corner of his lips as he shook with coughs. Kagome gently laid his head in her lap; his long charcoal black hair was lose and tussled in sweat and blood, staining her thighs red. Ginta and Hakkuku exchanged looks of worry and were about to vent their rage some more until their gaze met Kagome's. One look said it all; they lowered their heads in submission and quietly left the room to inform the rest of the den on their leader's condition. Kouga settled into a light sleep and nuzzled into his mate's thighs. Kagome unconsciously ran her fingers through his tangled locks, head spinning. She was finally coming to the realization….that Inu-Yasha finally made his choice…as did she.


It was mid-afternoon, the sun blazingly shone over head. Added to the intense humidity, the result was a very uncomfortable day. Sango leaned to the right and pursed her thighs together prompting Kirara to land at the cave's mouth. Without a moment's hesitation the guard surrounded the intruders before the neko youkai's paws touched earth. Sango gripped her Hiraikotsu instinctively as Miroku held his hands up in peace and dismounted.

"Please…Please there is no need for any violence. We are but friends of lady Kagome's and wish to know if she is here."

"Let the bouza and his companions through!" Ginta cursed as he pushed his way through the crowd.

Miroku sighed in relief as a familiar face came into view.

"Domo Ginta-san, we have come to visit Kagome-sama? Is she here? The monk questioned.

Ginta's eyes lowered slightly as he replied. "Hai…sister is here, I'll take you to her."

Shippou's face brightened in anticipation despite the guarded looks of the wolves around them. His eyes opened wide as he viewed pups in the distance jostling around, but ignored them, wanting nothing more than to see Kagome. Kirara transformed into neko form and perched Sango's shoulder, who still lightly gripped her weapon, still wary of her surroundings. They entered a darkened room, lighted only by dying embers. Even in the poor lighting they could still make out Kagome's tousled form, silently wiping the brow of a recuperating wolf prince.

"KAGOME!!! Shippou squealed but stopped a few feet short before jumping on Kouga's head.

Sango rushed to her side, honey brown eyes deep in concern. "Kagome….what in the name of Kami happened here?"

Kouga roused and answered for her. "That bastard happened, that's what!" his gruff voice teeming in fury.

"Inu-Yasha? He was here? We haven't seen him since yesterday evening; he just rushed off and didn't come back last night as usual. We assumed he wanted to get a head start in finding you."

Miroku's fair featured face was knotted in concern, "You don't mean to say that Inu-Yasha did this Kouga-san?"

"Hai….he surprised Kagome and I in the night, I was…um..preoccupied and didn't recognize his scent till it was too late. He stuck his filthy claws through me…and hurt Kagome when I was down….." Several vehement curses erupted from the wolf's lips at the thought of not being able to protect his mate in her time of need.

"Nai….no…Inu-Yasha??? We all know you and he aren't the best of friends so to speak but he would never….NEVER hurt Kagome." Sango replied in shock.

Kagome's fingers touched the bare spot on her neck, unaccustomed to the missing weight. "He…he also took the jewel." She whispered silently.

Everyone's eyes opened wide in unison in shock.

"Naze?? Why would he do such a thing? Kagome leaned over Kouga to gather her pack. Sango caught a glimpse of dried blood on Kagome's chest, her voice slowly rising in anger as she spoke.

"That…BASTARD!!!!! Kagome did he do THAT to you? I'm gonna kill him! He's going to wish he was never BORN…!!!" She screamed in frustration.

Miroku grasped her shoulders attempting to calm her down, receiving a deadly stare for his efforts and backed off.

"Now..now Sango there must be an explanation for all of this. This isn't the Inu-Yasha we know. Perhaps a demon with shape-shifting abilities has taken his form and used Inu-Yasha's form to obtain the jewel? Miroku noted, deep in thought.

Then the realization hit her full force, Sango's breathe caught in her lungs and her eyes squeezed shut.

"No…no..no..no..no…." she muttered.

"What's wrong Sango-chan?" Kagome shuffled towards her friend, worry and concern flooding her chocolate brown eyes.

She opened her tear brimmed eyes, "Kagome….now that they have the jewel they are going to want to complete it. Kouga do you still have your shards? She demanded.

"Hai." He replied.

"Then we still have time…" she breathed.

"We MUST find Kohaku…if that demon was powerful enough to subdue Kouga then there is no stopping him from stealing my brother's shard…his life giving shard." Kirara transformed, Sango was about to jump on her back when Miroku stopped her.

"Matte….wait Sango…you're not going alone! I would never forgive myself if anything happened to you…." His voice caught in his throat as he pulled her into a light embrace.

"Hai…come Miroku…we have no time….I thank you for...umm your concern." Her cheeks reddened slightly at his open honest display of affection. "Kagome…gomen but I have to go…."

"It's fine Sango…I understand. I have to stay here anyway and take care of my mate." Kagome replied.

"YOUR MATE?" The trio replied in unison, jaws dropping.

"Sango's eyes brimmed in tears while a devious grin cracked across Miroku's face."

"Kagome…I'm so happy for you! I'm so glad you found happiness…." Sango was cut off by Miroku's knowing reply.

"Hmmmm now I see…so that was what really preoccupied you guys last night!

Kagome's cheeks colored into the deepest shade of crimson you could ever think possible, Kouga growled in warning, while Sango stokes her bone boomerang threateningly eyeing Miroku. He gulped and changed his expression.

"This is NOT the time houshi! Come on…Kohaku needs us." Sango retorted in annoyance.

Shippou eyed the pups nearby and was rewarded with excited yelps and wagging tails at the prospect of a new play mate. Kagome watched as her friends led Kirara to the mouth of the cave, a new journey set before them. She closed her eyes and whispered a short prayer for a safe one. Kouga sat up, noticing his mate's concern, and kissed her cheek.

"Kagome…it will be ok."

She pressed her face to his chest, hot tears silently making their way down her cheeks. He cupped her cheeks and lowered his lips to meet hers; she returned his efforts of comfort with a light tantalizing kiss, content just to lie in the protection of his perfect arms…

A/N: Ahhh…(cracks knuckles) this is my longest chapter yet according to the word count on Mircrosoft Word….hope you guys enjoyed it. Well…you know the drill….XD

ja ne, beautiful-cherry-blossom