InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Understandings ❯ The unexpected ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 5
        The Unexpected

        “ Lady Kagome, with all of the excitement the last few days, I had forgotten to find an escort to the ball, and I do need one. Would it be too much of an inconvenience for you if I were to escort you instead of Sesshomaru?” Prince InuYasha asked her.

        “Yes, Kagome, I think it is a good idea.” Sesshomaru began. “If you are with the Prince, I will feel better knowing you won't be left alone at any point in time. Miroku and I had just been talking about the times you would have been. We were both concerned about that lapse and this seems to be a perfect solution.”

        & #8220;If you think that is best, Sesshomaru.” turning to the Prince “I will accompany you.”

InuYasha was interrupted from his response by Bret “Perhaps then, since you don't need to be here for another thirty minuets, it would be nice for you to escort Kagome through the gardens. I feel bad I didn't have the chance to do it earlier.”

“That's ok, Miroku.” Kagome comforted, reaching out to place a hand on his chest. “You were busy; I understand completely. I should like Prince InuYasha to walk with me, if he's willing.”

“It would be my pleasure, my dear,” he said stepping to the side to let her pass. She stopped five steps behind him slightly to his right. “Haven't we already been through this?” he asked extending his arm to her.

Blushing, she quickly came to stand at his side and fumbled trying to position her hand in the proper place on his arm. InuYasha laughed as he grasped her hand and placed it in the crook of his arm. “We should really work on your court manners Lady Kagome. They need a brush up.”

“Well, “she bristled. “I haven't been on a court since I was a little girl. You can't expect me to just know what to do now can you?”

“I suppose not, although you seem to be a quick study. I bet you could pick it up again quickly.”

Just then they came to the outer doors to the courtyard and stopped at the cloak rack. It had been placed there earlier that day for visitors to the courtyard to grab a cape before stepping out side. The walkway had already been cleared of snow and the air was still and nice.

Draping a cloak around first Kagome's shoulders and then his, he held the door open for her to pass out into the yards.

“Oh it's beautiful!' Kagome gasped. The staff had strung clear lights around the paths and trees for tonight. The lights glinting off the snow made the world around them sparkle and glint like the jewels around Kagome's neck.

She ran forward and danced circles in the snow that had just started falling. The flakes collected in her hair and the clips that sparkled along with them looked like a glorious crown.

Well, if that's not a sign from the gods, I don't know what is.' InuYasha thought to himself.

“I love the snow;” she said coming back to stand with InuYasha, “it makes the world clean and fresh. Everything is pure in the snow.”

InuYasha reached up and brushed the snow carefully out of Kagome's hair and placed her cape hood up carefully so it wouldn't mess it. “You should have this up so you don't catch a cold. We can't have you getting sick now can we; although, it would make it easier to keep an eye on you if you were always in one spot.”

Kagome's face fell at the thought of having babysitters. She really hated having to depend on people for help, especially the Prince. He had many other things to concern himself with than the safety of one lowly executioner. She sighed and continued walking down the path catching InuYasha off guard. “I know that you have better things to do Your Highness, than to baby sit me. I wouldn't hold it against you if you were to tell Sesshomaru that you needed out.”

“Why on earth would I do that? I'm perfectly capable of keeping you company, unless you don't care for my company...” he stated, catching up to her, looking more than a little hurt.

“I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!” she gasped. “I just think you have more important things to do than watch over me.”

InuYasha opened his mouth to answer her when a glowing light and static electricity filled the air, it becoming so thick with a massive aura and authority, that Kagome would have fallen to her knees had InuYasha not reached out to catch her. When the light dissipated, the Demon King was standing before them; a gentle looking man, small in stature, friendly, sparkling eyes The whole image before her completely false. InuYasha bowed to his father as Kagome did the same.

“What brings you here father?” InuYasha asked more than a little surprised.

“What, I can't check in on my favorite son every then and again?” he chuckled back.

“Father, I'm your only son.” he said with an eye roll.

The King laughed a big belly laugh, “That you are InuYasha; that you are. So who is your lovely companion?” knowing full well who she was. Some times his son needed to be reminded of his manners.

“This is the Lady Kagome, Lord Payton's daughter.” InuYasha blushed over his lack of manners.

“My dear, “The king said as he bowed to kiss her hand, “you look a mirror image of your mother.”

“Thank you your Majesty, that means a lot to me” Kagome said, blushing.

“Lady Olivia was always found in good favor, as will be you dear. There is no need for formalities in private. You may call me Dimitri; were practically family, since yours died. I'm sorry I never got a chance to speak with you about that before I sent you away. Your safety was far more important than condolences at that time.” he said softly, dropping her hand back to her side.

Just then another flash of light appeared next to Dimitri and as the light faded, another strong, formidable demon stood beside him, radiating another aura so strong, Rekio unconsciously took a half a step backwards. His looks rivaled that of InuYasha and the Kings.

Bowing deeply he took her hand in his “Ah, Lady Kagome, I presume?” his voice reverberating off the court yard walls, bringing just as much awe to her expression as the kings appearance had.

“Y-yes, How do you do?” she replied, bowing shakily.

“This is my advisor, Geoff.” The king chuckled. Turning to him, “You could tone it down a bit you know, we don't want to alert the entire castle to our presence.”

“WHAT?!” Geoff cried indignantly, “Yours is TWICE what mine is!”

The king laughed heartily at this. “That's because I...am the king.”

Geoff rolled his eyes and Kagome could feel him drawing himself back in.

Suddenly, the courtyard doors burst open and a half a dozen guards, Miroku and Sesshomaru ran through. Looking up suddenly to see who the overbearing auras belonged to, the latter two skidded to a halt, bowing deeply.

The king and Geoff laughed as one of the guards almost fell over in effort to stop from running into the back of Sesshomaru in confusion.

Kagome could feel the power surge through her body as she turned in time to see the diminutive, gentle man who was the king, turn into the most formidable demon she had ever laid eyes on.

He swelled up to twice his previous height, muscles swelling in his once unimpressive arms. His hair, flowing halfway down his back in black and maroon locks, pulled back into a crisp ponytail at the base of his neck. His previously gentile eyes still held the same warmth, but now glittered with an unmistakable authority and in an awe inspiring shade of emerald green with what she could of swore were specks of silver. His skin darkened from the pale to a glorious shade of golden tan. The black cape that was draped around his shoulders looked as if it was made of a skin of sorts. Then he released his aura.

The entire court yard quaked in silent power as the waves reverberated through the garden. The trees, swaying in respect, plants bowing under awe, and birds singing, were spreading the news of the arrival of the king.

The guards standing behind Miroku and Sesshomaru fell prostrate on the ground, basking in the sensation that was the Demon King.

“You're Majesty!” Kagome managed to squeak out before fainting.

The king reached out and caught her before she hit the snow covered ground. Looking up he shot his son a questioning glance before looking back to the beauty he held in his arms. “What happened to her, why is she fainting from something so simple?”

“She was attacked by a golem earlier today and it seems she's still a bit weak from it.” “A golem?! Who would do such a thing to such a lovely creature?” Geoff gasped in dismay.

“It seems our friend, Stark, has found her once again.” Sesshomaru replied, walking up with Miroku.

The Kings eyes blazed with a fire that was unmistakable. “Where. Is. He?”

The king had left the man alone after the last battle, not being a cruel ruler and thinking him smart enough to not return. Apparently he had been mistaken, and that was not a good thing. The king was not fond of being wrong, he was rarely, if ever wrong and when he was wrong, the situation was repaired immediately. But this, this was beyond the limits of even the Kings forgiving nature.

“At the moment, Your Majesty, we don't know. There have been two attacks on us; one on Prince InuYasha and the other this morning on Kagome.

InuYasha, noticing the growing crowd of spectators, reached over to lift Kagome out of his father's arms, but was stopped by a guttural growl emanating subconsciously from his father. Kagome had that affect on every one she met it seemed. The overwhelming desire to protect her caught a hold of even his father and he refused to let go.. Touching him lightly on the arm to bring him back to the present, the king snapped out of his anger filled trance and reluctantly handed Kagome to his son.

“I will take her back to the room and we will join you later this evening. I'm sure your presence here far overshadows mine anyway.” he teased, winking to his father as he walked back to Sesshomaru's room carrying the sleeping beauty. “Ill send for the doctor and as soon as she wakes and when she's cleared, we'll be down.”

Sesshomaru nodded in approval before returning his attention to the advisor, seeing the king still wasn't feeling all that sociable at the moment.

“Geoff, how have you faired all these years?” Sesshomaru greeted his old friend with a hand shake. “Absolutely wonderful till just these few minuets. Our king is most unpleased at the evening's most recent development and I'm sure to catch hell for it later!”

        The King, waking out of the wonderful daydream he was having about Stark, reached to shake Sesshomaru's hand. “How are things with you, My Friend? Other than the obvious, that is.”

        “ It's been rough for the past few weeks. That poor girl has had enough tragedy in her life to last five lifetimes, and it just keeps coming.”

         220;She's a lovely girl; her parents were among my closest friends. It was a great loss for me to have had to send her away. Now what is this I hear about a party?”

The King spread his arms open wide to start to usher everyone inside before stopping and turning to Geoff, ”I want to know where Stark is. Find him so I may kill him; slowly, and in the most painful way imaginable.”

Nodding, Geoff followed the king in. Seeing Stark again wasn't something he was looking forward to.