InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Understandings ❯ Nightmares and fresh wounds ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 8

Nightmares and Fresh Wounds

Kagome lay curled in a tight ball in Sesshomaru's bed. The room was dark except for the patch of light spilling in from the window where she and InuYasha had stood earlier. He had gotten to be her hero after all, sneaking out while she was dancing with his father and rescuing her wrap from the snow that had already threatening to burry it until a thaw. She had been cold and he cursed himself for letting her come back down with out something to cover her bear arms. In her weakened state, all sense of feelings were heightened and he had taken advantage of this at the next dance they shared. Oh, it had all been innocent enough, a brush of the fingers here, a slight squeeze of the hand here, a whisper in her ear while his breath blew across her neck seductively, but in her state, it had felt like the most potent seducing she had ever had in her life and InuYasha took full advantage of this...in the most innocent way possible of course. But then again, didn't it all start out as innocent in the beginning?

Poor Sesshomaru, he never even knew what had hit him. Being fully unaware, InuYasha had to pull him off to the side as she danced with the king, after she became light headed, to tell him what was wrong. Sesshomaru blushed furiously. He had always wanted Kagome, wanted to be with her, seduce her, but damn it, he also wanted to be aware of it when it was happening!

If Kagome had retrieved her wrap sooner, she would have been spared the embarrassment. As it was, Sesshomaru had given her his jacket, claming that her skin felt chilled. Kagome herself wasn't sure how this was possible, seeing as how her entire body felt as if it were on fire, the main focus of it being in her abdomen, but accepted the jacket with a smile anyway.

Sesshomaru sighed as Kagome turned over in her sleep. The most beautiful demoness he had ever met was asleep in his bed and he was on the opposite side of the room from her, wide awake, with out even the smallest hope of ever being able to sleep himself. He groaned mentally. What kind of an idiot would put himself though this. What other options did he have? That perverted friend of hers, Miroku? That would be the day. Miroku would have never tried anything on Kagome...well, not with out permission anyway, but he still want comfortable with the idea of it all. InuYasha? While he was a noble man, he didn't think Kagome would have been comfortable in that situation. She didn't know the prince that well yet and his servants made her uncomfortable. He didn't even have to ask her, it was that apparent.

InuYasha needed his servants to survive. Contrary to popular belief, those weren't sex slaves. He had never even bedded a woman yet. It wasn't that the urge wasn't there; it was the same problem Sesshomaru had. He could never be sure that the woman wanted him for him or for his power.

Sesshomaru had lost his parents at a young age, along with two other boys in the kingdom. Dimitri, the king, had adopted the orphans and had offered to do the same with Sesshomaru. He had declined, stating that he was old enough to take care of himself and as soon as he had made something of himself, he was going to ask Lady Kagome to marry him.

Dimitri admired Sesshomaru's courage and offered him a position on his council. Sesshomaru had gratefully accepted and plans were made for Earth to be opened for exploration. Dimitri had been so impressed with Sesshomaru's skills and planning, that he made him Warrior of the High Council. In essence, the Earth's equivalent of Alden's King. Sesshomaru had opted to share the responsibility with others, hand picked by himself. They were his most trusted advisors and make up what is today the High Council of Demons. Sesshomaru had never made a move with out the full approval of his council.

Dimitri was amazed with Sesshomaru. If he could have had another son, he wanted him to be just like Sesshomaru. With InuYasha and Sesshomaru leading Alden together, there would have been nothing to hold the two back...except that Sesshomaru and declined to be an official member of the family.

A knock at the door startled Sesshomaru out of his thoughts. “Damn it all, just when I had finally managed to get her out of my mind...' Carefully opening the door, he glowered at the trembling servant on the other side. “This had better be worth your life...”

“Lord Sesshomaru, Lord Kouga wishes to speak with you. He would have called you himself, but desired not to risk waking up Demoness Kagome.”

“That was a wise decision on his part.”

“Yes, Sir. He wishes you to call him as soon as possible, he says it's urgent.”

“Yes, I will. Thank you.” Closing the door, he crossed the room to the phone on his desk. “You wished to speak with me, Lord Kouga and at two am even...?”

“Yeah, we have a problem. They did it, they did it already. I couldn't stop it, Sesshomaru. I tried. I told them it was too soon, but they wouldn't listen. They woke him up.”

“When?”

“Just now, they said it had to be done immediately, although, they didn't tell me why it couldn't wait. Something big is coming, Sesshomaru, something we need him to help us stop for some reason.” There was a long pause on the line while Kouga gave this time to soak in, “What are you going to tell her Sesshomaru?”

Sesshomaru turned to face the bed as Kagome rolled over, giving a small whimper in her sleep. “What else is there to tell her but the truth, Kouga? She needs to know...but I don't think...”

“Look Sesshomaru,” Kouga interrupted “we all know how you feel about Kagome, but you are the one that needs to tell her. She trusts you.”

“Yes...I agree.” Sesshomaru sighed. “How long does she have till she has to see him?”

“Tomorrow night. Have you found the other two golems yet?”

“No, but they might not be around anymore. Golems don't last for long and it's been twenty-four hours. If we can make it through tomorrow, she'll be fine.”

Kouga cleared his throat before beginning again. “Let me know if there's anything I can do.”

“Yes, I will do that and thank you for getting word to me so quickly Kouga.” Sesshomaru sighed and hung up the phone.

He leaned against the desk, his eyes on Kagome. Ever since he had answered the door, he had sensed her growing uneasy and now she was starting to panic, his aura being pulled tighter and tighter as she searched the darkness for comfort.

“Please...ple...stay back! Ple...don't...don't hurt...NOOOOOOO!” Kagome sat up in bed screaming as Sesshomaru was yanked by his aura half way to where Kagome lay panting, sweat dripping. Getting his footing once more, he ran the short distance to the bed, grabbing her in a tight embrace as he sat down.

“Oh, it was real. It was so real!” She sobbed into his robe. “He was after me and...he...he killed you and he was trying to kill me! I ran and ran and couldn't fight him...I was too scared! I could feel him, Sesshomaru. I could feel your blood dripping down my chest. I could feel his hands on my neck as you fell to the ground in front of me.”

“Shhh! It was just a dream.” He could feel her heart beating against his chest. Each beat send a throb through him. She wasn't supposed to be scared; he was here to protect her. She started to tremble violently. The shock from the dream had finally caught up to her. He grabbed the comforter and pulled it up around them; she continued to sob in his arms.

“Who was in your dreams, Kagome?” He asked, once she calmed enough to talk as he reached over to flip on the light.

“I think...it was Stark. I...I couldn't tell. It was so dark in my dream.”

Sesshomaru nodded, it was going to be hell to tell her the bad news now. He would wait till morning; after all, that's what he had intended to do to begin with, right?

“Sesshomaru, will you stay with me till I fall asleep again?”

“Ill stay for as long as you like.” He whispered, kissing the top of her head.

“Get comfortable then, cause youre not going anywhere.” She sniffed. She didn't think she could go back to sleep alone after something like that.

He chuckled as he set her back on the bed, arranging the comforters back around her. He went to retrieve another blanket and his pillow from the couch. Turning around, he practically ran into Kagome. “What are you doing and good gods, what the hell are you wearing?!”

“What?” she looked down at her night gown. “It's a night gown, what's wrong with it?”

“It's indecent! It's a slip! It's less than a slip! You parade around in that thing?”

“No. Sesshomaru, I don't parade around in this thing. It's my night gown not an evening gown; only you and Miroku have seen me in it, and I'm still not sure what the problem is.” She said, wiping away the last traces of her tears.

“It barely covers anything. It is too low cut at the top and too high cut at the bottom; you may as well be wearing a towel!” he spat.

She laughed at him. “Sesshomaru, it has a pair of shorts that go under it, so nothing “indecent” will be showing. It's just like what I wear in the summer outside, but with a longer top. Besides, what is it you normally wear to bed when you don't have company?

Blushing, he stomped over to the bed, tossing his pillow and blanket to the opposite side. `I will be going fully clothed if she is going to be running around like that.' “That is not the point here, Kagome.”

Sesshomaru lay down on the bed, pulling Kagome in with him and throwing the covers across her. He felt her relax into the bed with a sigh. Well at least one of them would be getting some sleep. Reaching over and shutting out the lamp, the darkness surrounded him, comforting him.

He lay there for what seemed like an eternity before her small voice called out to him. “What is the point, Sesshomaru?”

“The point is, you shouldn't be parading around anywhere dressed like that. I don't like it in summer and I don't like it now.”

She giggled some where in the dark as she rolled over to face him. “Sesshomaru! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were jealous.”

“Well, it's a good thing that you do know better then isn't it?”

“You are jealous aren't you?” she mused, sitting up in bed.

“Kagome, go to sleep.” He groaned an instant before he felt a light pressure from her hand on his chest and an even lighter one on his lips from hers. Her kiss was so sweet and passionate, little butterflies danced across his skin under her touch. “Ka...” his protest was cut off as her hand fisted in his hair and her tongue grazed his lips, inviting his to come out and play.

He rolled over and pulled her back down to the bed with him as his mouth trailed a path of soft kisses down her jaw to her neck. He teased, nipped and licked, enticing moans from her sweet lips as his hands roamed her body. She arched her back as he pulled her into a deeper kiss.

“You have no idea how long I've wanted to so this with you, Sesshomaru.” She moaned as she released herself from his grasp and straddled him. The butterfly feeling all over his body intensified as she took him in her hand, rubbing against his thin cotton pants, caressing as she leaned down to replace her hand with her mouth....

He shot up with a yelp, panting, as Kagome shook his arm gently. “A dream...it wasn't real.”

“Sesshomaru, were you having a nightmare too?” Kagome asked him innocently.

“Yeah...Yeah a nightmare. It was a nightmare. Did you manage to get some sleep? he asked, still panting and trying to change the already...sensitive subject.

She nodded. “Are you ok?” she questioned, reaching out to touch his face in concern. “Youre soaking in sweat!”

“Oh gods please don't touch me!” he saw the hurt expression in her face “Bugs, I still feel like there's bugs crawling all over my skin.”

“You had a nightmare...about...bugs?” she questioned, arching her eyebrow at him.

“Yes, yes there were bugs in it.” He answered, finally catching his breath. Butterflies were bugs weren't they, so that wasn't an entire lie now was it? “What time is it, Kagome?” he asked flopping back into his pillow.

“It's around eight thirty. I already ordered breakfast, I hope you don't mind.”

“No, not at all. I can not believe we slept so late. I...” He was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Breakfast is here!” she called cheerfully as she bounded to the door. How the hell could she recover from horrible things so quickly was lost on Sesshomaru.

“Oh,” she frowned as she opened the door, “you're not breakfast.”

“No, but I could be if you want me to.” Miroku laughed as he sauntered into the room followed by a smirking InuYasha.

Miroku and InuYasha froze as they both noticed the still dazed Sesshomaru in his bed...along with a still pajama clad Kagome standing next to them.

“We didn't interrupt anything, did we because I thought you were going to be sleeping on the couch, Sesshomaru?” Miroku asked, not being able to keep the thick stab of jealousy out of his voice. InuYasha opted to say nothing, his eyes voicing his disappointment instead.

“I had a nightmare last night and asked Sess...”

“Kagome,” Sesshomaru interrupted. “That wasn't a nightmare.”

“What do you mean? It sure as hell felt like a nightmare to me!”

“That's the point, Kagome. In a night mare you wouldn't have been able to feel anything. You said that you could feel his hands on you...it was him. Stark was here, well, in your mind anyway. He managed to link with you and manipulated your mind, making you feel things that weren't real. He's toying with you, I'm not sure why, but he is.”

“He...attacked me in my sleep then? Why didn't you tell me this last night?”

“Because if I had told you, you would not have gone back to sleep. He couldn't have hurt you anyway; only make your night uncomfortable.”

“What if he had come back?!” she asked, sitting on the bed.

“He can not come back, Kagome. Not twice in the same night.”

A knock on the door sent Miroku to let the waiter in.

“Did...did he send you the bugs?” Kagome asked carefully

InuYasha and Miroku both perked up at this “What about bugs?” InuYasha asked, slightly amused.

“Sesshomaru had a dream about bugs...I think that Stark may have sent that dream to Sesshomaru.”

“No, Kagome.” Sesshomaru sighed, rubbing his temples. “I assure you, Stark had nothing to do with my dream.”

Kagome sighed and went to eat, her stomach felt like it was going to turn in on itself. She had been late to the ball and wasn't able to eat with the rest, thus missing diner last night. InuYasha hadn't had a chance to eat either. “”Your Highness, are you hungry? You didn't have anything last night.”

“No, Miroku and I ate already...and I thought we had discussed you calling me InuYasha.”

Choosing to ignore his comment, she quickly ate as the men became engrossed in a conversation about how Stark had managed to enter Kagome's dreams. She didn't care how he had done it; she just didn't want him to do it again. She became irritated, opting to get dressed rather than listen to them. Heading to the dressing room, she began to get the feeling she was...was what? She had no clue. It was almost like there was electricity in the air, like something was coming. She jumped at the light nock at the door. Cursing herself for her jumpiness, she snatched her robe from the foot of the bed.

As she neared the door, the feeling became stronger. Every fiber of her body told her not to go near that door, but her brain kept scolding her nervousness. `Are you going to jump every time some one says “boo” around here?'

Glancing up from his conversation, Miroku felt the same electricity in the air. His world became slow motion; he was unable to move quick enough to prevent Kagome from answering the door.

As she reached out to the door handle, the hairs on the back of her hand stood on end. `Its just static electricity, Kagome; nothing you haven't dealt with before. Stop being so afraid; Stark can't get you in the palace. He would never be able to get past the guards.'

She grasped the door handle as Miroku stood and called her name a second too late. Pulling the door open, her eyes grew wide at the face she hadn't seen in almost a week, the face that had started this all. His green eyes bore into her, the same need, and the same desire shone in his eyes just as bright as the last time she had saw him. “Hisoka...” she breathed, just before she fainted.

“Is this a bad time?” he asked, catching her before she hit the floor.

“Aww, damn! Who the hell is this guy?!” InuYasha moaned as he rushed forward and took Kagome from him, putting as much distance between the stranger and the girl as possible.

“Hisoka, nice to see you made it through the reanimation process. Please come in.” Sesshomaru called from his position by the sofa. “You weren't supposed to be here till later this evening. I have not, as of yet, had the opportunity to inform the Demoness Kagome of your reanimation.”

Hisoka nodded and chuckled as the obvious.

“Again, who in the hell is this guy?” InuYasha was becoming irritated now. He wanted answers and he wanted them now. Miroku glanced to get Sesshomaru's approval before pulling Inuyasha to the side to explain the situation. “Who the hells fucking brilliant idea was that?” he yelled after a few moments.