InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies: Chosen, The Tosusaiga's True Master ❯ Shorin Finds An Ally ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: No, I don't own Inuyasha. I don't even own this computer. It's a rental. What do you expect from a poor college student?}

Unexpected Allies Trilogy

Part Two

Chosen, the Tosusaiga's True Master

Chapter Seven:

Shorin Finds an Ally

Sesshoumaru felt his patience shorten as the days wore on.

It was a week after Kagome and Rin were kidnapped, and they were still without a clue as to where to find them. To make matters worse, he was forced to travel with his bastard brother and his human companions. Shorin stayed a few days ahead of them, coming back to report anything she found then going back to the lead.

Sesshoumaru shook his head, mindful of the kitsune that frequented his shoulder.

Shippou stuck to him like glue, and Sesshoumaru was more surprised than anyone else when he allowed it. Sesshoumaru stood vigil as the others slept, watching the moon make its nightly journey across the vast, sparkling sky.

Shippou was asleep on his shoulder wrapped in his tail, making soft noises in his sleep. Sesshoumaru sighed. If he were asleep right now, he'd probably be talking to Kagome and watching Rin pick flowers in Kagome's mind. She no longer left as violently as last time, and took Rin with her when she woke up. Kagome showed him the face of the tiger that assaulted her that day, telling him that it was likely that he deserted Naraku and was now loose in the forest. Sesshoumaru smirked. He hoped he'd see him, so he could show him what happens when one touches someone he treasured. Sesshoumaru blinked.

'Treasured?'

He shook his head gently, his hair flicking behind him. 'It is not good to lie to one's self. I should stop trying and at least admit it to myself that I care for them.' He sighed and lowered his gaze to the youkai exterminator and the monk. They were both asleep, more likely than not dreaming of each other, with the fire cat between them. His ears twitched as the leaves in the trees above him rustled. He whirled around in an instant, the Toukijin drawn and ready as something red landed in front of him.

"So that's where Kagome gets it from," Inuyasha said as Sesshoumaru sheathed his sword. Inuyasha grinned at Sesshoumaru's obvious aggravation.

"Are you taking over?" Sesshoumaru asked, letting his weariness show in his voice. Inuyasha nodded, watching him as Sesshoumaru sank to the base of the tree and went to sleep.

^^^^^^^^^

"Where have you been?" Kagome asked, tugging Sesshoumaru's arm. The instant she touched him he glimmered, then reappeared in a pair of loose jeans and a tan dress shirt with a tank top underneath. {Forgive me, people. I love to dress Sesshy up!}

Kagome was wearing a pair of light pink track shorts and a white t-shirt with 'Innocent?' on the front and 'Not Likely' on the back in pink glitter with pink and white sneakers to match. Sesshoumaru had to admit, though the clothes were strange and indecent, they looked good on Kagome as she tugged him toward Rin. Rin was wearing a pair of denim shorts and a t-shirt that said 'Daddy's Little Girl' on the front. {Don't you just love Rin's shirt!} Rin smiled as they sat down on the bench beside her. They watched the people go by for a while in silence as Rin ate something called 'cotton candy'.

"Where are we, Kagome?" Sesshoumaru asked.

"It's called an amusement park where I'm from. There's all sorts of rides and games-" Rin squealed when the wind blew some of the cotton candy in her face. "and food," Kagome giggled as she wiped the sticky strands away. Rin jumped up and ran toward a pond near them.

"How is Rin?" Sesshoumaru asked.

Kagome sighed. "Naraku doesn't bother her. Every now and then he'll try to scare her, but he gets bored when I put her to sleep."

"And how are you?" he asked. The light in her eyes died instantly.

"Naraku is trying to make me agree to being his mate. He calls me koi, he hand feeds me at dinner, hits me and kisses me all at once. Its enough to make your stoma-"

Kagome blinked as a growl cut through her words. She turned to look at Sesshoumaru, who was growling something unintelligible. Kagome could only understand the words 'kill', 'blood' and 'rip', to name a few. Kagome patted his arm.

"I will kill that half breed," Sesshoumaru snarled.

"Why are you so mad? You're angrier than I am, and he's doing it to me!"

"Because no one touches what is mine."

Kagome groaned and hid her face in her hands. "He said that too."

Sesshoumaru instantly calmed, draping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer to him. "I am sorry, Kagome. I lost control for a moment."

"That's o. k. How's Shippou and the others?"

"The monk and the exterminator fight constantly. I do not understand how a human can have such a thick skull."

Kagome giggled, resting her head in the crook of his shoulder. "And Shippou?"

"Shippou misses his 'Kagome-okaasan'. He calls for you in his sleep."

"How do you know that?"

"He sleeps on my shoulder."

Kagome jerked away from him in shock. "Are you serious?"

"I do not lie. To you anyway."

Kagome chuckled slightly, surprised. "Why do you let him sleep there?"

"My presence seems to comfort him," Sesshoumaru replied, leaving out that Shippou's presence comforted him as well. Kagome hugged him gently, her head nestled in the crook of his neck.

"Thank you," she whispered, her breath dancing on his neck. Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and rested his head against hers, returning the hug.

"No thanks are necessary."

*Kagome sighed and leaned against him, smiling as Rin tried in vain to catch a fish in the pond. Sesshoumaru wished he could smell her as he sniffed Kagome's hair. To his surprise, jasmines and vanilla flooded his senses. He inhaled again, relaxing against her. So enthralled was he in this new dream development, he almost miss her sigh

"I miss you, Seisho-sensei."

Sesshoumaru reached up, twirled a dark strand of her hair around his finger, and said the very words he never thought he'd say to her.

"I miss you as well."*

He jerked suddenly, nearly knocking Kagome off the bench.

"What's wrong?" Kagome asked as he started to fade away. Sesshoumaru cursed darkly before answering

"There is trouble at the camp."

Then he disappeared.

^^^^^^^^^

Sesshoumaru's eyes flew open sharply, glaring at the group arguing in front of him. Even Shippou was awake, due to the noise.

"Who dares to disturb me at such an ungodly hour?" Sesshoumaru said calmly. Everyone quieted instantly, turning to look at him with guilty faces.

"Sorry, Sesshoumaru-sama," Sango whispered. Miroku nodded. "We didn't mean to disturb you. Inuyasha is being a jerk."

"Like always," yawned the sleepy kit on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. Sesshoumaru spared him a small smirk as Inuyasha growled.

"If you weren't where you are now I'd pound your head in."

"Nu-uh," said Shippou, shaking his head. "I'm under Sesshoumaru's protection, so if you touch me, he gets to kill you, right Sesshoumaru?"

Everyone but Shorin was expecting an 'In your dreams' or something like that. Their mouths fell open when Sesshoumaru nodded in agreement.

Inuyasha scowled. "When did this happen?"

Shippou tapped Kagome's headband, which was still around his neck. "You never bothered to ask her what this was, Dog Boy. It means that she and I are under Sesshoumaru's protection. We get called Lord and Lady and everything, right Gen. Shorin."

"Hai, my lord," Shorin said with a bow, her long hair hiding the smile on her face. Inuyasha's face faltered.

"How long has she had it on?"

"Three months, if you must know," Sesshoumaru interjected, brushing aside Shippou's next comment. "Is this what all the noise was about?"

"No, my lord," Shorin said as she stepped to the side. Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed as a familiar tiger youkai stepped from behind her.

"Inuyasha-san doesn't think it's a good idea for this youkai to join us."

In an instant, Sesshoumaru's claws were around the tiger's neck, crouching above him as he pined the tiger to the ground. The others watched in amazement and horror as Sesshoumaru's claws started to drip poison, all the while keeping his tail around Shippou.

"What are you doing here?" he snarled. The tiger struggled under him, trying to get free. Shorin and the others gasped as Inuyasha jumped up and down triumphantly.

"I told you stupid fucks this guy couldn't be trusted!" he jeered, pointing to the others. Sango slapped him upside the head as the tiger protested.

"Please, Lord Sesshoumaru! I can be trusted!" he said, trying to pry Sesshoumaru's fingers from his neck.

"Did you not injure the miko in Naraku's stronghold!"

"I did! I said that! I told Shorin when she found me!"

"Did you tell her that you beat the miko and tried to kill her before Naraku caught you?"

The others gasped again, staring at Sesshoumaru and the tiger in his grasp. The tiger stared at him in disbelief.

"How do you know that?" he said, his voice weakening.

Sesshoumaru smirked. "I know that she was chained when you attacked her. That was not only cowardly, it was dishonorable. I should end your life now. It would spare the world from having to deal with you and any of your descendants."

The tiger paled under Sesshoumaru's fingers. "I'm sorry, my lord. Forgive me! I didn't know the miko was yours!"

"Why are you here?" Sesshoumaru snarled again.

"I want to help! I know where Naraku's castle will be!"

Sesshoumaru leaped off him, releasing him to return to his tree. Shippou (who managed to stay on Sesshoumaru's shoulder the entire time) stared at him in amazement.

"That was so cool," Shippou breathed. Sesshoumaru didn't acknowledge the statement, but inconspicuously tickled the child with his tail. Shippou giggled quietly, knowing that to laugh in Sesshoumaru's sensitive ear wouldn't be good for his health.

"Where is the castle going?" Sesshoumaru asked, watching the tiger warily.

"Narasa's Mountain."

"Narasa's Mountain?" Shippou asked.

"It's not a real mountain, but a volcano. It's just a few days from here."

"The castle will be there in four days," the tiger said, rising to his feet. "You should be there as well. Lord Sesshoumaru?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry about the miko. I didn't know she was yours. I was only trying to avenge my brother."

"I know."

"What else do you know, Fluffy?" Inuyasha asked, staring at him. Sesshoumaru stood up and brushed himself off, watching the sun rise.

"I know a lot about Kagome," he said as he walked past him. "More than even you know."

Sesshoumaru stopped in front of the tiger. The tiger stepped back instinctively.

"What is your name?" Sesshoumaru demanded.

"Keni'Chi."

"Do not betray us, Keni'Chi," he warned as he walked away, Shippou's tail twitching behind his head.

"If you do, no apology will save you."