InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies: Chosen, The Tosusaiga's True Master ❯ Ambushed! ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: No, I don't own Inuyasha. I don't even own this computer. It's a rental. What do you expect from a poor college student?}

Unexpected Allies Trilogy

Part Two

Chosen, the Tosusaiga's True Master

Chapter Thirteen:

Ambushed!

Kagome reached the center of the field and stopped. Rin gazed at her in concern as Kagome sniffed around the area. She followed the scent in a full circle, then stopped. She withdrew her sword, pushing Rin behind her.

"Come out, Naraku!"

The wind blew past her gently, the calm before the storm before Naraku appeared on the outer edge of the field, staring at her.

"At last koi. I was beginning to think I'd never find you. Let's go home."

"No." Kagome growled.

"What was that?" Naraku asked, menace dripping from his tone.

"I said no. Can't you hear?" Kagome reached down and put Rin on her back. Rin grabbed hold as Kagome retied the azure sash around them, holding Rin steady. The owl on Kagome's chest plate turned its head.

"Don't make me hurt you, koi," Naraku warned, grinning. "Even though I want to."

"Go to Hell, Naraku. I said I'm not going."

"Oh well then," he sighed, motioning for his army. The youkai surrounded her, millions of them in the field at once.

"I guess I'll have to hurt you."

++++++

'Seishou-sensei, help me!'

Everyone in the group stopped, looking at each other in confusion.

"Did you hear that?" Inuyasha asked, looking around. Sango and Miroku nodded as Shorin and Keni'Chi consulted Sesshoumaru.

"My lord, did you hear it?" Shorin asked as she and Keni'Chi caught up to him and Shippou. Shippou was pale, whimpering slightly.

"Hai, Shorin. I heard," Sesshoumaru said, staring at a line of trees in the distance. They were nearly at the field at the base of Narasa's Mountain when Kagome's voice screamed in his mind. He thought he was the only one to receive the message but was quickly corrected when the others stopped.

And if her focus was scattered so badly, then she was in serious trouble.

Sesshoumaru made a motion to speak when Kagome called to them again.

'Hurry, I can't hold them all!'

Sesshoumaru turned and sprinted over the forest floor toward the tree line. Inuyasha caught up to him, concern shining in his eyes.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Kagome's powers are stronger."

"Who's Seishou-sensei?"

"Me."

They stopped at the edge of the field, unsure of the scene in front of them.

Thousands of youkai covered the field, all focused on one thing in the center. As youkai attacked it, the object fought back. Every now and again Sesshoumaru, Shippou, and Inuyasha saw a flash of blue, a glint of steel and a streak of white.

Sesshoumaru sniffed the air silently, testing it. He could smell Naraku, figuring that Inuyasha could too if his growl meant anything, and Kagome but he couldn't see her. The youkai attacked the center of the field at one time, leaping in a mass of bodies on the object. The pile grew and grew, burying whatever was under them. Sesshoumaru heard a small whimper, then someone sob his name.

"Sesshoumaru-sama, help Kagome and Rin!"

Sesshoumaru growled and moved forward. Shippou scurried down from his shoulder to a nearby tree.

Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha attacked the first youkai they saw, slicing it into ribbons as they made their way to the youkai mound. The mound exploded suddenly in a purple blast of light, youkai flying through the air only to be purified into ashes as they fell into the light. {SF: Think about that one fight scene Keanu Reeves has after he talks to the Oracle in 'The Matrix: Reloaded'} Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru could see what the youkai attacked for only a few seconds before another wave began, but it was enough to stop them in their tracks.

"Was that…Kagome?" Inuyasha asked, total disbelief on his face. Sesshoumaru regained his composure and began his assault on the other youkai. What he saw of Kagome flashed in his mind as he rained blow after blow on the enemy.

The Kagome he saw was totally different from the Kagome he knew. She was dressed like a warrior, the short tunic swirling around her like the wind as she whirled around. The black chest plate gleamed under the afternoon sun and the dark ponytail twirled above her head like a whip.

The amazing part was the sword she used.

The thing looked rusted beyond belief, but it still did the damage Kagome needed it to do. Sesshoumaru marveled at how much Kagome had improved in her absence as his fist smashed through a snake youkai's head.

+++++

Kagome whirled around again, her sword slicing off anything within reach. She dropped into a crouch as the youkai paused in their attack. They separated, revealing Naraku as he stood behind them. His baboon mask hid his face from view, but not his smile as he grinned at her.

"Ready to surrender, koi?" he asked, his voice light with amusement.

Kagome growled, her left hand fisted as her right tightly grasped the sword.

Naraku sighed. "Then you must be punished. Kill the child."

Kagome growled once again, her voice barely human as the youkai attacked them. She moved swiftly through them, her blade cutting through them like water. She jammed her fist into one youkai's ribs as she back kicked another behind her. She dropped into a split, then spun on her hands, kicking the feet out from under two more youkai. Kagome kicked one fallen youkai in the temple, then thrust her sword to the hilt in the other youkai's throat. She leaped to her feet, slamming her shoulder into another youkai's stomach. Kagome charged forward again, her power manifesting itself in her blade and her hands as she blazed her way to Naraku.

++++++

Kikyou watched as the others caught up to the taiyoukai and Inuyasha and began their own attempts to reach Kagome. The taiyoukai and Inuyasha were the closest, but weren't close enough to hear what Naraku said.

Kikyou smiled. "That's right, Naraku," she whispered. "You go right ahead and seal your own fate."

++++++

Narasa watched Kagome, pride shining in his baby blue eyes. 'Maybe she is my descendant,' he thought. 'After all, she's defending herself against the youkai without using much of her power. The armor protects her. But why isn't she using her true power?' He watched intently as Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha entered the field.

"Her taiyoukai. He is who the villagers call the Destroyer of the Circle of Life, just as I thought. What would connect her to him?" He watched as Sesshoumaru fought the youkai in front of him, his style merciless and quick. Narasa tapped into Sesshoumaru's thoughts, and was surprised when he heard

'I must get to them. They are too important to loose.'

Narasa chuckled under his breath. "So, the taiyoukai loves her. I bet she doesn't know. This should be interesting."

Kagome screamed, yanking Narasa's gaze from Sesshoumaru to her. He watched as she sank to her knees, a bloodied blue bundle in her arms.

++++++++

Kagome whirled around, embedding her sword in the chest of a cat youkai. She jerked her sword free then turned to face another. As she did, Rin was ripped from her back into a pile of youkai a few yards away. Youkai attacked her in an instant, her pitiful cries torturing Kagome's ears. She made a bee line for her, ripping through youkai with the sword and her bare hands.

'I have to save her,' Kagome told herself as she backhanded a youkai in her way. She carved her way to Rin, and gasped when she saw her. Rin's kimono was ripped to shreds, the flowers that were in her hair falling slowly to the ground. She was bleeding from wounds Kagome couldn't see. Kagome sliced through another youkai, then cradled Rin in her arms. Kagome smoothed her bloodstained hair away from her face, calling to the child softly.

"Rin, are you o. k.?"

"Rin hurts, onee-chan."

Kagome sniffed, tears streaming from her eyes as she tried to smile. "You'll be o. k. We'll get you to Sesshoumaru soon."

"Rin is sorry, onee-chan. Sorry," Rin whispered, her breath raspy in her chest. The rattling stopped, and her chest ceased to move.

Kagome called to her softy at first, repeating her name, trying to wake her. When Rin didn't respond, Kagome shook her, yelling for her to wake up, to not be dead. The youkai around her stopped, watching her as she madly cried over and over to the afternoon sky. Sango and Miroku stopped fighting, staring at their friend as she huddled over the child's body, screaming in a blind rage.

'Little Feather,' a voice called to Kagome. She looked up, her face wet with tears. 'Where are you?'

'Look up, Little Feather.'

Kagome looked up, and through her tears she vaguely made out the picture of a man standing at the mouth of the volcano. His voice came to her again, soothing to the heartache inside her.

'It could not be helped.'

'I said I would protect her.'

'Yet you sit here crying. There is still something you can do.'

Kagome sniffed, rocking Rin in her arms. 'What are you talking about? Rin's dead, and soon everyone else will be, too.'

'Do you want to help her?'

'Of course.'

"Then call on your power.'

'I can't. I'm afraid.' The voice sighed in her head as Kagome glared at the approaching youkai. 'You must, Little Feather. Don't be afraid. Just a little will be enough until you're ready.'

"What do I do?" Kagome asked aloud, ignoring the questioning looks from Naraku and the youkai around her.

'Call upon your will to protect her. It will come.'

Kagome placed Rin's body at her feet before slowly rising. She glared at the youkai around her, stopping at Naraku's baboon-pelted face. She reached down and picked up the sword, it becoming a burst of light in her hands. She raised it above her head slowly, the effeminate version of the angel of death as the wind swirled around her.

Kagome's eyes closed as she channeled her purifying energy into the sword, the purple of her magic mingling with the white of the sword's. She opened her eyes again, staring into Naraku's with contempt. She growled something nearly unintelligible. If Sesshoumaru had been farther away he would never have heard the threat, nor have been able to understand the meaning of her words as she plunged the sword tip first into the ground.

"You don't know what you've started, do you?"