InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies I: How to Train a Taiyoukai ❯ Enter Mi Sum Nu Rai ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: See Chapter One.}

Chapter Six: Enter Mi Sum Nu Rai

Sesshoumaru stopped at the edge of the miko village's barrier at nightfall. He approached it gingerly, and was surprised when he broke through. He walked toward the gate slowly, glancing around. Suddenly, spears shot from all directions, sinking in the ground and surrounding him. Sesshoumaru snarled and crouched low, shielding Kagome in the process. She slept the entire time, and Sesshoumaru was starting to get worried. He shook Kagome gently, trying to wake her.

"Kagome. Now would be a good time to get up."

Kagome blinked and looked around. Her eyebrows furrowed together as a miko in a blue cape came out of the shadows.

"Release the miko, youkai, or die where you stand!"

Sesshoumaru growled again, crouching lower. Kagome patted his shoulder and he put her down. Kagome stepped around the spears to the blue-caped miko.

"What is the meaning of this?" she demanded. "Why has my protector been attacked?"

"Your protector?" the blue-caped miko stammered. Kagome nodded.

"We didn't know. We thought you were in danger."

The spears were yanked into the night, freeing Sesshoumaru. His tail wrapped around Kagome's hand and she stroked it absentmindedly.

"You tamed an inu youkai?" the miko asked, wonder filling her voice.

Kagome giggled slightly. "It's more like he tamed me."

The other miko nodded. "Forgive us. We have never seen an inu youkai protector. We've never seen a blonde miko either." The other miko stared at Kagome. "What's your name?"

"Kagome."

The other miko nodded, then noticed the kanji on the edge of her cape. She smiled. "Welcome to our city. My name is Rei, and I'm the chief miko."

Rai reached to hug Kagome when Sesshoumaru growled.

"That's not very nice. Down, Yukio."

>Flop!<

Sesshoumaru fought the urge to growl at her, but remembered that he didn't look the same, so no one would know that he was a taiyoukai. He sighed and lowered his head.

"Forgive him," Kagome said as she stood in front of him. Sesshoumaru followed Aniki's training, and was rewarded with Kagome's fingers stroking his ears. "He's very protective of me."

Kagome slumped over as the subdue spell wore off. Sesshoumaru caught her and swept her off her feet. Rei ran to her side.

"Are you alright, Kagome-sama?"

Kagome nodded. "We've had a hard journey."

Rei gasped. "Of course. Please, follow me." Rei passed the village gates and walked down the path.

During Kagome's conversation, Sesshoumaru was busy remembering the way his servants behaved. 'If I have to be a slave, I may as well do this right.' When Rei walked off, he stayed put, even as the snow began to fall again. Rei turned to say something to Kagome when she realized no one was behind her. She turned around.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Kagome looked at Sesshoumaru quizzically. "What is it, Yukio? Why aren't you following Rei?"

"My lady didn't say to."

Kagome blinked in astonishment. 'Did he fall on his head on the way here? Well, Kagome, you know what they say: Use it or loose it.'

"It's o. k. Follow Rei."

Sesshoumaru caught up to Rei and together they proceeded into the city. Kagome eyed her surroundings in wonder. The city was large, with many huts surrounding the town square. In the middle of the square stood a large building that obviously served as the main hall. Little streets turned off the main one, leading to other parts of the city. The main street lead to a cliff on the outside of the city. Rei lead them down the main road past a few streets, then turned. She walked down a small alley to the inn. She opened the door, startling a miko in rose-colored hakamas.

"Yes?"

Rei bowed. "I have customers."

"This late?" the other miko asked. She glanced over Rei to Sesshoumaru and the pale Kagome in his arms.

"Oh my!"

She moved quickly to Kagome's side. Sesshoumaru stepped back and growled protectively.

"Yukio…" Kagome warned, and Sesshoumaru instantly quieted. The pink miko stared inquisitively at Rei.

"This is Kagome, a miko from…" Rei blinked. "Where are you from, Kagome-sama?"

"West."

"West of here?"

"The western lands." Rei and the other miko gasped. Kagome stared, confused. "What is it?"

"The great demon there isn't pleased with mikos at the moment. I'm surprised he didn't find you."

"You must tell us all about you," the rose miko said.

Kagome smiled. "I'm Kagome. Forgive me, but I'm rather tired."

The miko bowed. "My name is Sumi. I'll take you to your room."

Sesshoumaru bowed for both of them, refusing Kagome's silent pleas to put her down. He walked behind Sumi, with Rei behind him. Sumi walked down a small hallway and opened the door at the end to an empty room.

"This should do. Do you or your protector need anything to eat?"

Kagome nodded. "Yes, thanks." Remembering Sesshoumaru she asked "You want anything?"

"Only if it pleases you."

Kagome's eyes widened slightly, but she turned to Sumi. "Yes, whatever you have."

Sumi nodded and left the room. Rei was watching Kagome and Sesshoumaru in awe as Sesshoumaru set Kagome in one of the chairs. He waited until she was comfortable, then stood by the door with his head bowed, his feet shoulder-length apart, and his eyes closed. Rei finally couldn't stand it any longer.

"He's so CUTE!!" she cooed, startling Kagome and Sesshoumaru. Rei nearly jumped when Sesshoumaru glanced at her. His eyes instantly closed, but not before Rei saw them.

"Such intense eyes! How in the world did you get such a beautiful slave?" Rei asked. Kagome scratched her head thoughtfully. 'Man, I'm sure Sesshoumaru is loving this.'

"Forgive me, Rei, but I'm very tired. I promise to tell you about myself and Yukio in the morning."

Rei nodded happily and opened the door. She turned around suddenly. "Oh yes, I nearly forgot. This week is festival week. At the end of the week is our cleansing ceremony. You will stay the week at least, won't you?"

Kagome nodded and Rei smiled back at her. "Great! I'll see you at the banquet tomorrow night! It's in the large building in the center of town square." Rei stepped into the hall and closed the door. Kagome sighed in relief and took off her slippers.

"Finally," she said, dropping into Sesshoumaru's language. "Some peace and quiet."

"Shh…" Sesshoumaru hissed, his finger to his lips. Seconds later, someone knocked on the door.

"Kagome-sama? It's Sumi. I brought your dinner."

Sesshoumaru opened the door and gracefully accepted the tray in Shime's hands. He bowed respectfully and slid the door closed. He sat the tray on the desk beside Kagome and handed her one of the bowls of soup. Kagome eyed him warily as he moved a chair to the door, sat down and started to eat.

"O. k., who are you and where is Sessho-"

"Do not say it!" Sesshoumaru growled. Kagome blinked, then blushed. "Sorry. I forgot."

"I know. As to what I'm doing, this is what we trained for, correct?"

Kagome nodded.

"Then why are you surprised that I'm behaving this way? If I have to be a slave, I will do this right."

Kagome sighed in relief. "Ah, there you are. I was wondering what happened to the arrogant youkai I was traveling with."

Sesshoumaru huffed in annoyance and placed their bowls tray outside the door. He watched as Kagome stood up and reached in the closet for some pillows and blankets.

"What are you doing?" he asked. Kagome shook out the blankets and spread them on the floor, ignoring him. Sesshoumaru growled in warning and Kagome sighed. "I'm setting up your bed. Jeez, are you always such a stick?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" he asked. Kagome shook her head. "Sometimes you have to just go with the flow."

"'the Flow'" Sesshoumaru repeated, a eyebrow quirked.

"I meant relax."

"We are here for a reason. I do not have time to relax."

"Whatever."

Kagome made him turn around. She changed into her pajamas quickly, then crawled into bed. Sesshoumaru sat down on the pallet beside her and waited for her to fall asleep. He untied his cape, draped his and hers over the chair by the door to dry, and watched her sleep the rest of the night.

+++++

"He is so BEAUTIFUL!!!"

Kagome inwardly groaned as the swarms of mikos surrounded her table. Sesshoumaru sat behind her, his tail twitching around her wrist in annoyance. 'He's going to kill everyone in here if I don't get them to move.' The girls continued to shower their compliments on an unfazed Sesshoumaru.

"Have you seen his eyes?! They're the brightest shade of green! They look like emeralds!"

"Yes I have! How gorgeous! My favorite color, too!"

"I would love him for a protector!"

"I wonder if Kagome-sama will let me borrow him."

Sesshoumaru's tail tightened slightly around Kagome's wrist, starting to twitch under each 'compliment' tossed in his direction.

"What would you do with him, Hauri?"

"I know what I'd do with him!"

Twitch.

"No one asked you, Serena!"

"I'd just stare at him all day! I'd braid his hair, too, just like Kagome-sama!"

Twitch.

"Alright, ladies," Kagome said, raising a small amount of sushi to Sesshoumaru's lips. They parted slightly and Kagome plunked the food in his mouth.

"Oh, his table manners are excellent!"

"Look, he's even handsome when he chews!"

The admiring stares continued, and Kagome was starting to get irritated. She had to admit she did a really good job on Sesshoumaru's disguise. She braided his hair earlier, leaving it in one long chain down his back. There was enough of the white strands in his hair to reminded her of those expensive marbled chocolate bars she loved. 'I wonder if I have one in my pack?' Another comment was made about lending Sesshoumaru to someone, and she frowned in annoyance. 'Who do they think they are?' she glowered, smiling at another miko. 'Do they really think I'd leave Sesshoumaru with them?'

'Are you jealous, Kagome?' a little voice in her head asked. Kagome growled at the voice, and was surprised to hear her growl returned. She glanced to her right to see a silently fuming Sesshoumaru. Kagome sighed and raised her hands.

"As much as my protector appreciates your kind words," Sesshoumaru spared a glare at her "we really must resume our dinner."

There were a few mumbled apologies, along with sighs of jealously. Kagome lightly rubbed between her eyes. 'Finally.'

"Forgive us," Rei said as she sat down across the table from her. "We have never seen an inu youkai slave before. Tell me, how did you acquire him?"

Kagome patted Sesshoumaru's tail. "I didn't acquire him. I found him in the woods when I was only a child. He was badly injured. I nursed him back to health, and he agreed when he was well to become my protector."

"He WILLINGLY became a slave?"

Kagome shook her head. "Yukio isn't a slave. He may leave me anytime he wishes."

Rei stared at Sesshoumaru in wonder. "Wow. I can't believe…but he's so obedient."

"Yukio is very loyal, yes." She turned to look at Sesshoumaru. "And I'm loyal to him as well."

Sesshoumaru's ears twitched when she said that, and both mikos laughed. They continued to talk, leaving Sesshoumaru to his thoughts. He was amused with her story, to say the least. 'How ironic. Her little lie is somewhat closer to the truth than she would guess.' He thought about what she said to Rei instantly. 'Loyalty? What does this human know about loyalty?' His mood soured, but it didn't show on his face.

Kagome felt it, though, and patted his tail again. Smiling at him, she turned back to Rei.

"What did you say, Rei?"

Rei giggled. "You are such an attentive master. Your Yukio is very lucky."

'You don't know the half of it,' Kagome thought with a smile. "Thank you, Rei."

"My pleasure. Where do you come from?"

"The west, like I said."

"Yes, I know your village is in the west, but it is obvious you are not a native to these lands. You look like a barbarian."

'This blonde is going to be the death of me yet.' Kagome nodded, deciding to go along with the 'barbarian' theory.

"You're right. My village's miko found me when I was just a child. I was abandoned by my people. The miko and her village took me in and raised me. I became miko when the other passed away."

Rei nodded. "Why are you not at your village now?"

"It was destroyed," Kagome whispered, remembering every sad thing to ever happen in her life so tears could shine in her eyes. Sesshoumaru watched her silently, approvingly, until her next words…

"By the Taiyoukai of the West."

Kagome winced. Rei thought it was because of the memory. It was really because of Sesshoumaru's tail, which tightened enough to cut off her circulation. She whispered "down" low enough for Rei not to hear and he flopped to the ground, his tail coming undone and springing behind him. Rei blinked in surprise.

"What happened?"

"Nothing," Kagome said. Rei nodded and motioned for Kagome to continue. "Do you know why he attacked?"

"No. Yukio and I were in a neighboring village at the time of the attack. When we returned, the village was decimated, and he stood in the square watching us. Yukio fought to protect me, but he was injured. We've ran ever since."

"How did you stop him from finding you?" Rei asked, her concern in her eyes. Kagome sighed.

"I masked our scents the entire time. It's why I'm so tired." She slumped forward again, and Sesshoumaru pulled her back up. Rei gasped and motioned for a healer.

"No, I'm fine. Please," she said weakly, waving off any help. Sesshoumaru picked her up and stood. Rei stood as well.

"Well, Kagome-sama, it seems Yukio is concerned for you as well. Go back to your room and rest. I will come by tomorrow afternoon and show you around."

Kagome nodded and Sesshoumaru bowed for the both of them and quickly left the dining hall. Stepping into the freezing weather, he wrapped his tail around Kagome as he neared the outside door to their room. He walked inside, closed the door and set Kagome on her feet. She took off her cape and draped it over her pack.

"Well, that went rather well, don't you-eep!"

Sesshoumaru kicked her feet out from under her, sending her sprawling to the futon below. She fell on her back with an oomph, and was ready to berate him for the old and the new when she felt his claws at her throat. She looked up timidly and found Sesshoumaru's face above hers.

"What was that for?" she whispered, fighting to keep calm. After all, it really didn't help to panic in situations like these. Sesshoumaru straddled her waist, pinning her to the bed.

"Why did you tell them I destroyed your village? I did no such thing."

Kagome sighed, then winced when he lightly scratched the back of her neck.

"Duh, stupid!" she hissed, earning a growl in response. "Think about it! I'm the only miko they've ever seen with an inu youkai protector, especially one as powerful as you! They already think I'M suspicious since I look so different, so I thought it would be a good idea for them to at least be unaware of the real danger. YOU."

Sesshoumaru released her, sitting beside her on the futon. Kagome sat up, checking herself for cuts.

"You are fine. I have remarkable control."

Kagome scowled. "Jerk! The next time you do that, I'll scream!"

"So?"

Kagome shook her head. "Oh, never mind. You must want to be purified by at least 300 mikos and becoming human for the rest of your life. You probably didn't know we could do that, did you?"

Sesshoumaru ignored her, but took the whole 'becoming human' comment to heart. He would be careful around her until they found his possessions.

"Ah-hem!"

Sesshoumaru blinked at her. Kagome was standing next to her pack, two shirts in her hands.

"I'm going to change for bed but before I do, come here."

Sesshoumaru crossed the room to her. Kagome untied the sash around his waist and motioned for him to take off his gi.

"Why?" he asked. Kagome blushed when he finally did, turning her head away and handing him one of the shirts in her hand.

"I thought you would like a break from sleeping in your traveling clothes."

Sesshoumaru put the shirt on, but was having trouble with the shiny things on the front of it. After thinking about it for a while, he finally tapped Kagome's shoulder.

"What are these?" he asked when she turned around. Kagome's blush darkened as she stared at his well-built chest.

"Um, their buttons. Here, let me help." She buttoned the shirt, her fingers brushing against his skin every now and again. Sesshoumaru felt his skin tingle from the slight touches. When she reached the last button an inch from the base of his throat, he clasped her hands in his. Kagome looked up shyly, expecting a very angry demon for some reason. Instead, Sesshoumaru stared into her eyes with an intensity that made her toes tingle.

"Sesshou-"

"You're doing it again," he whispered, gently brushing his finger over her lips.

"Sorry. We can't be as perfect as you," she whispered back, the sarcasm she meant to have leaving as soon as the words passed her lips. Sesshoumaru smiled.

"No, but you can try."

Kagome rolled her eyes in mild disgust. Sesshoumaru released her and turned around.

"Change."

Kagome blinked for a moment, then remembered that she was supposed to be changing for bed. She reached for the other shirt, an oversized men's shirt that she got in a two-for-one-sale. The shirt looked like a dress on her, but the other on Sesshoumaru looked like it was made with him in mind. They were both silk, but hers was mustard yellow. It reminded her of Inuyasha's eyes when she bought it, but after spending so much time with Sesshoumaru, she realized that it matched his, with Inuyasha's a more amber color. Sesshoumaru's was turquoise, and Kagome decided that when she got back to her time she would get another shirt just like it and give it to him. 'Yeah, right. Like he'd wear it.' She sighed and pulled off the hakamas.

Sesshoumaru stood with his back to her, fighting back the urge to toss her back to the bed and claim her as his own. 'What in the hell is wrong with me?' he wondered as jasmine teased his nose. What was once a small blossom in a large field became roomful when he touched her lips. 'So soft…Wait! I will NOT entertain such thoughts! She is a mere human, and when I am rid of her these strange feelings would be gone with her!'

But something in him whispered 'But that's not what you want and you know it.'

Sesshoumaru shrugged it off and waited for Kagome to tap his shoulder. When she did he turned around, the stoic expression on his face replacing the one of confusion.

"Are you going to sleep tonight?" Kagome asked as she climbed under her covers. Sesshoumaru watched her as he blew out the light, admiring how the shirt made her look like a child. 'A child,' Sesshoumaru mused, suddenly serious. 'Rin.'

"No, I will keep watch."

Kagome shrugged and settled down. After a while, her breathing slowed and her heartbeat fell into a soothing rhythm, a sure sign she was asleep. Sesshoumaru opened the door to the outside porch and stared at the night sky, deep in thought. He stayed that way until he heard a small thump coming from the room.

He slid the door open quickly, ready to fight. He stared in surprise at what awaited him.

---------

Sesshou: I am taking over, since the bird is at work. Good thing, too, cause I will more likely than not have

no choice but to-

Inuyasha: Stop rambling, Fluffy! Some of us have shit to do!

Rest of 'Inuyasha' cast: Yeah!

Sesshou: SF left me in charge, so I do as I please!

SF: {::coming from offstage::} Funny, I thought you said that you were taking over? Did I hear wrong?

Shippou: {::climbing on SF's shoulder::} Nope. He said it.

Sesshou: furrball

SF: Thank you, Shippou. Sesshou, come with me please. {SF and Sesshou step offstage. All is quiet until

>CRASH!<

>THUD!<

>ZAP!<

SF: {::offstage::} Jackass!

Sesshou: {::Offstage::} Bitch!

SF: {::o/s::} Bastard!

Sesshou: {::o/s::growling::} I LOVE IT when you talk like that!

SF: {::o/s::} oh shit…

{::SF, in falcon form, streaks across the stage, with Sesshou on her heels. She lands in one of the rafters,

with Sesshou trying to reach her.}

SF: Me and my big yap! Here's the preview for chapter seven. Somebody get me down from here.

Chapter Seven: Dreamcicle

"So in the end, Inuyasha betrayed her?"

'Correct, my lord. I knew you'd see it my way.'

"Why does she stay with him, then?"

Azure-Eyed Kagome sighed and stared at the night sky. 'Kagome is in love, and she is fiercely loyal. She is hurting, so she cannot think straight. I'm trying to help her see his betrayal for what it is.'

"What is it?" Sesshoumaru asked.

Azure-Eyed Kagome's eyes flashed in anger.

'Continuous.'