InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies I: How to Train a Taiyoukai ❯ Dreamcicle ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, but I am slowly falling for Sesshoumaru. If anyone would like to give him to me, please e-mail me and I'll come get him.}

Unexpected Allies Trilogy

Part One

Submissions, Table Manners and Scent Recognition: How to Train a Taiyoukai

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Seven:

Dreamcicle

Sesshoumaru accessed the situation. Kagome was fighting, still asleep, and her power flared around her like a roman candle. He could smell her fear, but there was pain and tears in it as well. Sesshoumaru waited until her power fluctuated, then leaped on the bed. He sat down beside her and dragged her into his lap, one hand on her forehead, the other on her waist to hold her steady. Kagome whimpered, but stopped struggling. Sesshoumaru waited until she calmed down to relax, only to tense up again when she burst into tears. Sesshoumaru watched them fall as each sob escaped her chest, and for a moment he thought she was awake. When she didn't respond to her name, Sesshoumaru decided to see what this was about, and tapped into her dream.

++++++++++

Kagome's Dream

Sesshoumaru stood in a white room. In the center of the room were two white tables. As he approached them, figures materialized on the them. One he recognized as the undead miko, Kikyou, dressed in the white traditional haori and the red hakamas. The other figure on the next table was Kagome, with the belled haori and the violet hakamas. Sesshoumaru growled in warning when Inuyasha appeared at the other end of the tables. Inuyasha didn't seem to notice him. He stared from one sleeping girl to another, obviously confused as to what to do. A spirit form of both girls appeared beside their respective bodies. The spirit-Kikyou shook her head at Kagome.

"This is pointless," she whispered. Kagome ignored her, looking at Inuyasha desperately. Sesshoumaru felt something inside him tug at the fear in her eyes, but he chose to observe and not interfere.

Spirit-Kikyou sighed. "He will not choose you."

"Yes he will," Spirit-Kagome said quickly. A little too quickly for Sesshoumaru's liking.

"He won't and you know it. Why do you keep doing this to yourself?" Spirit-Kikyou asked. "You dream the same thing, and history will not change for you. He chose me last night, the night before last, and the night before last. He chose me on that fateful day, and he will choose me again today."

"Shut up, Kikyou," Spirit-Kagome whispered, tears streaming down her face.

Spirit-Kikyou laughed at her. "What's the matter, reincarnate? Does the truth hurt?"

"He promised to protect me, and he will!" Spirit-Kagome yelled. Sesshoumaru winced, but was surprised he felt no pain. 'Maybe I'm protected here,' he thought as he watched the two battle.

"Are you really so stupid, or do you pretend because you think its cute?" Spirit-Kikyou sneered.

Sesshoumaru felt a strong urge to rip the corpse's throat out.

"He didn't promise to protect YOU!! He promised to protect ME!!"

"Don't…please…" Spirit-Kagome whimpered, her hands covering her ears. Her tears were falling faster now, making soft splashes on the cold floor below. Spirit-Kikyou kept going, laughing at Spirit-Kagome the entire time.

"When he looks at you, he sees ME! When he talks to you, he sees ME! When he smiles at you, he sees ME! He will NEVER see YOU! He will NEVER love YOU! He will always see ME!"

Spirit-Kagome whimpered again. The sound tore through Sesshoumaru's emotional barriers. He stood up and walked to Spirit-Kagome's side. He reached to touch her when

'Don't. You'll do more harm than good.'

Sesshoumaru spun around, and his jaw dropped to the floor in shock. Behind him, where he was just standing, stood Kagome. Better yet, a being that looked like Kagome, except for the crystal blue eyes and the white stripe down her hair.

'Come here, Lord Sesshoumaru.'

Sesshoumaru glanced one last time at Spirit-Kagome, whose hands were slowly coming off her ears, and walked to the other Kagome's side.

"What is happening?" he demanded. The Azure-Eyed Kagome raised her finger to her lips.

'Shh…all will be explained in due time. Watch.'

He turned as Spirit-Kikyou sighed.

"Why do you do this to yourself? You could never replace me. He will continue to insult you, no matter what you do. Let him go. He deserves to be in Hell with me."

"I won't let you take him," Spirit-Kagome hiccupped, another tear sliding down her cheek. It appeared on Sesshoumaru's hand. He blinked in surprise, then turned to the Azure-Eyed Kagome. She shook her head and motioned for him to pay attention.

"You can't stop me," Spirit-Kikyou said, sadness reflecting in her tone. "He wants to be with me. He would do anything for me, even leave you in the hands of his brother."

Sesshoumaru bristled.

"What are you talking about?" Spirit-Kagome demanded. Spirit-Kikyou flicked some dirt out from under her nails, leaning against her body's table.

"Why do you think he hasn't come for you? Inuyasha could care less about you. He left you in the hands of a blood-thirsty killer, who will probably kill you once you become useless!"

Sesshoumaru snarled, promising a slow death for her disrespect as he stepped toward her when a hand touched his bicep. He looked down and saw the Azure-Eyed Kagome shake her head again. He jerked his arm free rudely, but stayed put. He grumbled every now and then about bleeding somebody slowly, but otherwise stayed quiet.

"Sesshoumaru is NOT going to kill me!" Spirit-Kagome hollered. "And Inuyasha DOES care!"

"Only because you can see his precious jewel shards!" Spirit-Kikyou hollered back. "Think about it, you stupid twit! If the jewel were completed tomorrow, do you think he'd give a flying FUCK about you?"

Spirit-Kikyou closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "You are a shard detector. Nothing more, nothing less."

Spirit-Kagome fell to her knees. "That's not true."

"Oh really? Let's consult him, then."

They both turned to stare at Inuyasha, who started to move again. Sesshoumaru watched as Inuyasha looked from one body to another. Finally, he closed his eyes and whispered

"Kikyou."

Spirit-Kagome sobbed again as Inuyasha moved to Kikyou's body's side. Spirit-Kikyou smiled smugly at Spirit-Kagome.

"I told you. He'll only see me."

She entered her body and opened her eyes. Inuyasha kissed her tenderly; earning a gag from the rapidly paling Sesshoumaru; picked Kikyou up and left the room. Spirit-Kagome lifted herself off the floor and into her body slowly, hiccupping. Kagome opened her eyes. She sat up and looked around. Finding no one else there, she put her face in her hands and wept. The white room faded away, turning into a garden filled with roses. At the sound of her sobs, the roses hung their blossoms, as if they were ashamed that they could not make her feel better. Sesshoumaru and the Azure-Eyed Kagome sat down beside the table.

"What just happened?" Sesshoumaru asked. Azure-Eyed Kagome plucked a flower out of the grass.

'She allowed you to see that.'

"She knows I'm here?"

'Not exactly. I'm a part of her and I allowed you in her so you could see that. If you were not so concerned, she would not have let you past her barriers.'

Sesshoumaru huffed irritably. "I am not concerned for that human."

Azure-Eyed Kagome stared at him. 'If you were not, you would not be here, my lord.'

"Who are you?" he asked, becoming suspicious.

Azure-Eyed Kagome stood up. 'I am Kagome's subconscious. Her voice of reason, to be exact.'

Sesshoumaru nodded and stood up. He glanced at Kagome again, and the sight hurt his very soul. She was now curled in a fetal position, sobbing brokenly. He turned to Azure-Eyed Kagome again.

"What just happened to her?" he demanded.

'It's a reenactment.'

"This happened?" Sesshoumaru said. "When?"

'After your first battle for the Tetsusaiga. She dreamed this same dream once a week for at least 3 months. It started to occur more often, when she was at home. Now, she dreams this every night. Since it happened, I've tried to talk some reason into her.'

"What happened that day?"

'Inuyasha swore to protect her. Then a witch stole Kikyou's ashes, and brought her to life. The body needed a soul, so the witch tried to steal Kagome's. Kagome was holding on until Inuyasha said Kikyou's name. Her soul went into Kikyou entirely, but most was called back by our will to live. The pure miko power inside her helped too.'

"So in the end, Inuyasha betrayed her?"

'Correct, my lord. I knew you'd see it my way.'

"Why does she stay with him, then?"

Azure-Eyed Kagome sighed and stared at the night sky. 'Kagome is in love, and she is fiercely loyal. She is hurting, so she cannot think straight. I'm trying to help her see his betrayal for what it is.'

"What is it?" Sesshoumaru asked.

Azure-Eyed Kagome's eyes flashed in anger.

'Continuous.'

She pointed to the sky. Sesshoumaru watched in amazement as the sky fuzzed like a worn out t. v., then cleared. He watched in rising anger as the Inuyasha in Kagome's memory berated and teased her. It slowed on a particular scene, in which Inuyasha was fighting a large wolf youkai.

"Well, I see you have your whore to fight for you," it sneered when Kagome stepped in front of an injured Inuyasha. She grabbed the Tetsusaiga and blocked the wolf's sharp claws. Inuyasha snickered in disgust and jerked Tetsusaiga from Kagome's hand.

"Who would want that stinking, useless human for a whore!"

Sesshoumaru growled, then remembered calling her the exact thing earlier last week.

'That's why she became so angry, Sesshoumaru-sama,' Azure-Eyes whispered. 'You didn't insult her. You hurt her, by acting like your brother no less.'

Sesshoumaru nodded. "I did provoke her, didn't I?"

'Yes you did, not to rub it in. He treats her like that day in and day out, and she still refuses to see it as it is. Will you talk to her for me? She might listen to you.'

Sesshoumaru nodded and walked to the table. He picked Kagome up and carried her to a nearby hilltop. He stroked her hair gently until her sobs became whimpers. She clutched a handful of silver hair and brought it to her face for closer inspection.

"Silver hair. Oh great," she looked up. Sesshoumaru smiled down at her. Kagome groaned and wiped her face.

"Now that you're here, I suppose you're going to pick on me and call me weak."

Sesshoumaru shook his head. "No, not today. I'm feeling generous."

Kagome groaned again. "Oh, man. He's got jokes now. What's next?"

"The bastard does not deserve your loyalty."

Kagome blinked. She sat back and stared at him in disbelief.

"What?" he asked, an eyebrow quirked quizzically.

"What did you say?"

"I am not going to repeat it."

"Good." She sighed, leaning against his chest. "I don't think my heart could take the shock."

Sesshoumaru rested his chin on her head, tucking her small body against his. "I am right, you know."

"I'm sure you are."

Sesshoumaru pulled her back, staring in her eyes. "I mean it. He does not deserve such loyalty. You do not deserve to be betrayed."

"What do you know about betrayal?" Kagome yelled, struggling in his grasp. Sesshoumaru held her tightly, steeling himself.

"Have you ever been in love? Do you even LOVE anyone? Besides yourself?"

Sesshoumaru tightened his grip, shaking her slightly. "Of course I know betrayal! I know the betrayal of a father that throws your mother away for some lucky harlot! I know how it feels when your mother leaves you forever because of your father's betrayal! I know how it feels when your father's friends and a stepmother, a HUMAN stepmother, plot to see your father dead!"

Sesshoumaru's voice quieted to a whisper. "I even know how it feels when your father betrays your for your own brother. So don't tell me I know nothing of betrayal."

Kagome sniffed as Sesshoumaru calmed down. She wrapped her arms around his neck gently, startling him.

"I'm so sorry, Sesshoumaru. I shouldn't have taken my anger out on you."

Sesshoumaru nodded and hugged her back. His head rested on her shoulder and, even though it was only a dream, he felt like it was somehow right for him to be here with her like this.

"Kagome, I've never asked anyone for anything, but I want to ask you for something."

Kagome nodded.

"I want you to listen to me, just listen, until I'm finished. I want you to consider what I say, then you can speak. Alright?"

Kagome nodded again. Sesshoumaru sighed and turned her around, crossing his arms around her. Kagome held on to his hands and waited patiently for whatever he had to say.

"Kagome, you are different than most humans I have met. You do not deserve to endure Inuyasha's abuse."

"You make me sound like a battered wife," Kagome muttered.

Sesshoumaru glared at her. "What did I say?"

"Wait until your finished," Kagome repeated, sounding like a little girl.

"Good. You must realize that he has betrayed you once, and he will more than likely do it again. As much as it pains me to say this,"

'As much as it pains me to say this?' Kagome repeated in her mind. 'I swear, if I didn't know this Sesshoumaru was fake, I'd be scared.'

"the Kikyou in your dream is right. The hanyou will never see you for who you are. No matter what you do, or say, you will always be Kikyou to him. I know you love him, and I am sorry to be so cruel."

Kagome was listening until that last part. 'He's sorry? About being cruel? Weird dream, Kagome. WEIRD DREAM!'

"Kagome?"

"Huh?" Kagome blinked, coming out of her stupor. Sesshoumaru stared at her, concern shining in his golden eyes. Kagome smiled at him.

"Sorry, Seisho."

"Seisho?"

Kagome laughed. "I like it. It's cute!"

Sesshoumaru huffed and shifted against her. "You are changing the subject."

Kagome sighed. "You're right. About all of it. I just don't know what to do."

"Well, if you need any help, I would be willing help you."

Kagome smiled again. "Thank you, Seisho-sama. That means a lot to me."

"No thanks necessary. "

He rubbed his legs. "Could you get off me, please? My legs are numb."

Kagome laughed and stood up. Sesshoumaru stretched lazily, reminding Kagome of Buyu. She giggled again and helped him to his feet. He hugged her suddenly, startling her.

"I swear, if you did this in real life, I'd have a heart attack and die."

"I will remember that."

Kagome swatted his arm playfully, then rested her head against his chest; listening to his heartbeat. Sesshoumaru looked down and sighed.

'And so my problems increase,' he thought to himself. He stroked her hair tenderly, and was rewarded with what sounded like a purr. 'But maybe this problem is worth it.' They watched the sun rise slowly in the east together, knowing Kagome would be waking up soon.

--------