InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies I: How to Train a Taiyoukai ❯ Betray Me Once, Shame on You. Betray Me Twice… ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, but I am slowly falling for Sesshoumaru. If anyone would like to give him to me, please e-mail me and I'll come get him.}

Unexpected Allies Trilogy

Part One

Submissions, Table Manners and Scent Recognition: How to Train a Taiyoukai

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Ten:

Betray Me Once, Shame on You. Betray Me Twice…

{All italics are now normal. The language is no longer needed.}

Sesshoumaru summoned the 'cloud' {I haven't the slightest idea what to call that thing, so bear with me.} and flew back to Inuyasha's forest and the dry well. Kagome was still unconscious, and Rin was asleep beside her. Sesshoumaru sighed and turned to look ahead. He wondered about his actions today, watching the sun set in the horizon.

'What happened to me? How did I loose control?' he asked himself, disgusted. 'How could the death of two insignificant humans cause me to fly into such a rage? The last time that happened, it was because of the death of my mother.' He lightly scratched his chin in thought. 'Is it possible that I care about those two?'

Sesshoumaru glanced back at them, and let an endearing smile cross his lips. Kagome, in her stupor, was curled around Rin, who had a fistful of Kagome's hair. Sesshoumaru gently pried Rin's fingers free. Kagome sighed gratefully and moved her head in a better position. Sesshoumaru brushed a stray hair from her face, pleased that they were now black instead of the sugary blonde.

'One would call these humans a weakness. I certainly did. Why aren't they?'

Rin giggled in her sleep. Sesshoumaru patted her head and stood up. 'No. Other humans are a weakness. These two are…strength.'

Sesshoumaru listened as Kagome's breathing sped up; she was waking. He turned away as she sat up.

"Are we near the village yet?" she whispered. She reached inside her pack and covered Rin in one of her spare blankets. Rin sighed and rolled over.

"Hai." Sesshoumaru whispered. Kagome nodded, then looked over the edge of the cloud.

"Will I see you again?" she asked hopefully. Sesshoumaru stared into the distance, thinking over her question.

'I'm sure she will see me again, but as what? A friend? An enemy? What do I want to be?' He glanced back at her. Kagome watched him, sadness in her eyes. Sesshoumaru thought back to her dream, and reached a decision.

"Hai. I will bring Rin to see you on occasion."

Kagome nodded and left Sesshoumaru to his thoughts. 'Yes, you will see me again, little miko. I've decided to protect you from yourself, and the selfish hanyou you travel with.'

Sesshoumaru set the cloud down beside the well. It disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving Rin, Sesshoumaru and Kagome to themselves. Rin hugged Kagome's knee tightly.

"Do you really have to leave, Kagome?" Rin whimpered.

Kagome nodded. "Yes, I do. Don't worry, you'll see me again."

"Really?"

"Really."

Rin grinned, then frowned. "But Rin will still miss you."

Kagome thought a moment, then swung a leg over the edge over the well. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

She jumped in and was gone in a flash of light. Rin peaked into the well. "Where is she, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"I do not know."

A few minutes later there was another flash of light. Kagome grasped the edge of the well, trying to pull herself up. A clawed hand reached down and pulled her out, much gently than the last time.

"Thank you, Sesshoumaru." Kagome said, reaching inside her haori. Kneeling in front of Rin, she pulled out a white dog plushie.

"Here you go, Rin," Kagome said as she handed it to the girl.

Rin squealed in delight, hugging the plushie tightly. "Thank you, Kagome-onee-chan! He looks so much like Sesshoumaru-sama!"

Sesshoumaru snorted as Kagome tried to bite back a giggle. "I'm glad you like him. He's my favorite, and I want you to have him."

"Rin can keep him?"

Kagome nodded. She was viciously glomped suddenly , falling on her back with a plop.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Rin chirped. Sesshoumaru reached down and disentangled the two.

Kagome sat up and brushed herself off. "No problem, Rin. Want to know a little secret?"

Rin nodded, her face brightening under the moonlight. Kagome motioned for her to come closer, then whispered in her ear, "Whenever you miss me, tweak the doggie's ears. I'll feel it, and know you're thinking about me. I'll smile back."

"Really?"

Kagome nodded. Sesshoumaru picked Rin up. "Say goodbye, Rin."

"Goodbye, Kagome-onee-chan!"

"Bye, Rin!" Kagome said as they flew off.

"Goodbye, Seisho," she whispered. A low growl resounded in the forest, and she giggled in spite of herself. She was turning to pick up her pack when a soft glow brightened it. Kagome glanced into the woods behind the well where the light was coming from. Looking around to make sure she wasn't in danger, Kagome left her pack and walked toward the light.

{No, Carol-Ann! Don't walk into the light! ::author snickers:: Sorry folks, I had to do that!}

+++++++

Sesshoumaru landed in the courtyard of his fortress a few minutes later. He put Rin down, and watched as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"What is wrong?" he asked, trying to be as cold and indifferent as possible. Watching Kagome cry had left an unwanted side effect: he now couldn't stand it if his two humans were upset.

Rin looked up sadly. "Rin has nothing to give Kagome-onee-chan. She will forget Rin."

Sesshoumaru thought this over, then picked Rin up and carried her to a hidden part of the castle. He walked down a dark hallway, coming to a stop in front of a door marked 'Treasury'. He disengaged the magic seal, opened the door and lit a torch. He put Rin down and walked inside. He stuck the torch inside a holder in the room. Instantly, the other torches lit up, illuminating the room enough for Rin to see.

"Choose what you think Kagome would like."

Rin stepped in after him, and gazed in awe. Inside were many different piles of golden objects. Some were little satchels with coins. Others were brushes, mirrors and goblets. Then there were crowns, tiaras and headbands encrusted with jewels. Rin wandered from one golden pile to another, deep in thought. Sesshoumaru leaned against the wall patiently. After a while, Rin emerged.

"Rin thinks Kagome will like this."

She handed Sesshoumaru her choice. It was a small headband made in a 'v' shape. On both ends of the headband were little golden chains with hairclips attached at the ends. In the center of the 'v', where Kagome's forehead would be, was a small sapphire cut in the shape of a crescent. {Think Sailor Moon.} Another chain hung below it, a small diamond dangling where Kagome's nose would be. Sesshoumaru sighed. 'It would figure she would pick a protection stone. Still, I could not have done better myself.'

"Did Rin choose wrong, Sesshoumaru-sama."

Sesshoumaru shook his head. "No. It is fine."

They left the room, resealing it. Sesshoumaru took Rin back to the courtyard and called for Jaken. Instructing the toad to look after Rin, and insuring pain unbearable if he disobeyed, Sesshoumaru took off for the dry well.

'Why am I going now? I could give her this tomorrow.'

Something inside him seemed uneasy, and he unconsciously sped up. He could smell Kagome before he reached the forest, and the sorrow hanging off her scent worried him.

+++++++

Sesshoumaru stood at the far end of the clearing, watching her. Kagome sat on the lip of the well, her pack at her feet, crying her eyes out. To a normal human, her sobs would have gone unnoticed, they were so quiet, but to Sesshoumaru, they rang in his ears like thunder. He approached her slowly, whispering her name.

"Kagome?"

She didn't look up. Sesshoumaru sensed pain in her scent. He forgot to be slow and gentle as he appeared before her. He jerked her head up by her chin. Kagome closed her eyes. Her sobs stopped, but tears still flowed from her eyes.

"Kagome, what is wrong?" Sesshoumaru asked. Kagome sniffed, but didn't look at him. Sesshoumaru's patience was nearing its limit.

"Open your eyes," he commanded, leaving no room for argument. Kagome did so slowly, as if she were afraid of what she'd see.

"Now, what is wrong?"

Kagome's eyes flashed golden, then replayed what she saw.

+++++++

Kagome neared the clearing, her eyes wide in shock. Inuyasha was in the field with Kikyou. They were holding each other in a way Kagome wished he'd hold her. They kissed, tenderly at first, and then with more passion than Kagome thought a walking corpse was capable of. She watched in horrified fascination as they disrobed. Turning on her heels and running toward the well, the last thing she heard before Inuyasha's moans of pleasure were:

"What about the girl, Inuyasha?"

"She means nothing. She's just a shard detector."

+++++++

Kagome sobbed again, her eyes returning to their natural shade. Sesshoumaru stood, amazed at first that she had such a power, then enraged as the hanyou's moans reach his ears. He growled softly, pulling Kagome closer to his chest protectively. She wrapped her arms around him, her sobs insistent. Sesshoumaru calmed enough to keep from killing both Inuyasha and Kikyou. Instead, he tucked Kagome's head under his chin, rocking her back and forth gently until she stopped.

"You know what the worst part is?" she whispered against his chest. Sesshoumaru waited patiently for her to go on.

"I thought that; if he couldn't love me, then at least he thought of me as a friend. I guess I was wrong, huh?" She sniffed in self-loathing. "How could I be so stupid?"

Sesshoumaru reached inside his gi for a handkerchief. He dried her face gently as she stared at him in shock.

"Am I dreaming?" she asked him.

Sesshoumaru smirked and shook his head. "No. Why do you ask?"

"The last time you were this gentle I was dreaming."

"Well, you're not. The next time you call yourself stupid, you'll wish you were."

Kagome gave a dry laugh. "There's the Sesshoumaru I know and love."

"Love?"

Kagome faltered. "Uh…let's change the subject."

"Yes, let's."

He glanced over her shoulder at the clearing, willing Inuyasha to drop dead right then and there. 'Not like the corpse would care. They'd just be on equal ground.'

"Why are you here, Sesshoumaru?" Kagome asked.

Sesshoumaru looked down, running a hand through her hair. "Do you want me to leave?"

"No!" she whispered fiercely, tightening her arms around him. Sesshoumaru chuckled and sat down. He pulled her into his lap like he did in her dream, with her facing away from the well and the clearing.

"You know what's funny?"

"What could be funny about this?" Sesshoumaru wondered.

Kagome rolled her eyes. "What's so funny is that I knew this was coming. I knew I meant nothing, but believed him when he promised to protect me. Now he's making love to the very woman who wants to kill me."

"His betrayal is funny?"

Kagome nodded.

Sesshoumaru shook his head, his silver hair cascading over her shoulder. "I do not share your sense of humor."

"Me either."

They sat quietly for a while, each deep in thought. Sesshoumaru was the first to speak.

"I would never betray you."

"Excuse me?"

"I would never betray you."

Kagome gasped. "That's what I thought you said. What are you talking about?"

"Rin sent me to give you a present. I have been trying to figure out how to pay you back as well, and now I know." He turned her around so she straddled his lap, her white cape covering his legs.

"You are now my ally."

"Huh?"

Sesshoumaru fought the urge to roll his eyes (or her head). "I said, 'you are my ally.'"

Kagome nodded.

"You are also my…friend."

Kagome's eyes widened.

"And so, you are under my protection. Would you stay here or come back with me?"

Kagome blinked in shock. "I…I have to stay here. I still have to complete the Shikon no Tama, and the others will miss me. I want to go, but I can't run from him."

Sesshoumaru nodded. "Still so determined, even after this? Alright. You may stay."

Kagome bristled. 'You may stay?! I knew it was too good to last!'

"But we are still allies."

"What does that mean," Kagome asked.

"It means that when you travel through my lands, no harm may come to you. When you go to war, my allegiance is with you. When I travel through your lands, or go to war, it is the same for you."

"I already felt that way."

Sesshoumaru blinked in surprise. "Oh."

Kagome giggled. "You actually look surprised! How kawaii!"

Sesshoumaru groaned and returned to his usual expression. "Do you accept my alliance or not, girl?"

Kagome shook her head in amusement. "Testy, aren't we? May I ask a few questions?"

Remembering how many she asked last time, he nodded reluctantly.

"Does this include my friends?"

"Not Inuyasha."

"I didn't say Inuyasha."

"Only one."

Kagome thought a moment. 'Sango and Miroku can take care of themselves, sort of, if you count out Sango beating Miroku over the head repeatedly. Shippou is the only one left, and he makes the most sense.'

"Shippou."

"The fox cub? Fine."

"I'm not helping you get the Tetsusaiga," Kagome said.

Sesshoumaru shook his head. "I'm not expecting you to. You will remain neutral."

Kagome sighed. "Fine. What now?"

"Now that we agree to this alliance, the weaker state must show trust in the stronger."

Kagome's eyebrow twitched a moment, then she shrugged. 'Like this night could get any stranger.' "What do I do?"

"Show me where your power comes from."

"Huh?" 'Whoops, spoke too soon.'

"You really must expand your vocabulary."

Kagome gave a lady-like snort. "Yeah, yeah. Let's see what you do if I asked you something like that."

"Just do it."

"I don't know where it comes from."

"You once told me that the Shikon no Tama came out of your body. Where?"

Kagome blushed and raised her haori helm to her waist. On her left side was the star-shaped scar from the Shikon. Sesshoumaru nodded and pushed her back against the grass. Kagome tried to struggle, but Sesshoumaru grasped her hands and pinned them to her side.

"What are you doing?" she hissed as he traced a finger over the scar.

"Did I not I say trust me?" he whispered. "Keep it up and Inuyasha will be on our heads."

Kagome scowled down at him, but calmed down. She watched him trace the scar one more time before looking up at her.

"This is going to hurt."

"Wha-"

Sesshoumaru sunk his fangs into the scar, pulling her blood and magic into his mouth like a straw. Kagome hissed as her back bowed sharply. Sesshoumaru used his free hand to push her back down, pressing her back to the grass. Kagome wanted to scream forever, the pain was so great. Sesshoumaru focused his magic on the scar, merging his magic to her blood and pumping it back into her. He lifted his head suddenly and howled. Kagome watched in naked fear, her blood dribbling down the side of his mouth glistening in the moonlight. His face suddenly appeared before hers, separated by mere inches.

Sesshoumaru reached inside his gi and handed her the headband. "This and the mark tells any demon under my command that you are under my protection. Wear it at all times. If you ever need my strength, call me. I might come to you. If I feel like it."

With that, he was gone, leaving Kagome in the woods to wonder what in the hell just happened.

++++++

Shippou jerked awake. 'What was that?' he wondered as he peered out the window of Kaede's hut. The wind blew gently past him, carrying a familiar scent. Shippou's eyes widened. He started to cheer suddenly, waking Sango and Miroku.

"What is it, Shippou?" Sango asked, setting up on her elbows.

Miroku shook the cobwebs from his head. "This had better be good, or else Inuyasha's going to kill you."

"Inuyasha's not even here!" Shippou retorted. Sango and Miroku glanced at each other.

"Do you know where he went?"

"Yeah, to the Kikyot, or something like that."

"Kikyot?" Sango asked.

Shippou shrugged. "Sounded good to me."

"It's a merger of Kikyou and pot, like a clay pot. Since she's made of clay," Miroku explained.

Sango didn't get it.

"Never mind, Sango. I will explain when you wake up fully. In the meantime, don't say that in front of Inuyasha."

Sango nodded, then gasped as the cold winter air assaulted the hut. She looked to the window, only to find Shippou gone. Sango and Miroku jumped up and left the hut. They followed his tracks to the well.

++++++++

"What was that?" Inuyasha gasped as a piercing howl assaulted his ears. He stopped tying his haori to focus. Kikyou shrugged and caressed his cheek.

"Don't worry about it. Go back to your 'friends'. I have something I need to do."

With that she was gone, leaving Inuyasha in the clearing alone. He sniffed around, stopping beside a tree.

"Kagome was here? When? Why didn't I sense her?"

Inuyasha suddenly felt guilty. 'Did she see us? Is she still here? If she went back home, I'll apologize and try to explain.'

"Keh! Explain what? Kikyou is my mate! To hell with that girl!"

'Then why do you feel like you've made a big mistake?'

"Shut up," he growled to himself. A wind passed him suddenly, and his blood froze in his veins. Leaping into the nearest tree, he growled. He could smell three things:

Kagome's tears…

Her blood…

And Sesshoumaru.

Inuyasha raced for the well.

+++++++

"Kagome!!!!"

Kagome turned around, wincing slightly as Shippou launched into her arms. He was followed by Sango and Miroku, who stared at their long lost comrade. She stood there, with the enormous yellow pack, in a white, odd-sleeved haori and violet hakamas. Covering her head and shoulders from the chill was a white cape with words on the helm. Sango and Miroku soaked all this in for a second, then ran toward her as if they're lives depended on it.

"Oomph! Ow. Hey, guys," Kagome grumbled good naturedly when she became the meat in a monk/demon exterminator sandwich.

"Are you o. k.?" Sango asked, releasing Kagome to check her for bruises.

Kagome giggled. "Yes, I'm fine. You guys act like I was with the devil or something."

They gawked at her in shock.

"You were pretty close, Kagome," Miroku said.

Kagome whirled on him in an instant, anger flashing in her eyes. "Don't say that! You have no idea what happened! He was more of a gentleman than some hanyou I know!"

"Like who?" asked a voice from behind them.

Everyone turned around at once, and stared at the fuming Inuyasha.

"Like who, Kagome? We spend three weeks trying to find you, worrying that we would find you in pieces in some ditch, and you come back defending the very asshole who kidnapped you. Not only that, but you smell like him. And blood, too. Just where the fuck have you been and what did you do, you little whore."

Sango and Miroku's eyes widened in shock. Shippou started to shake, ready to attack Inuyasha's ears for insulting Kagome. Kagome shook her head as she sat him down.

"Cover your ears, Shippou. This isn't fit for you to hear," she whispered in his ear. Shippou obliged all too quickly, familiar with Kagome's ear piercing screams. That wasn't what she had in mind, though.

{It gets REAL ugly from here ::grins like the Cheshire Cat:: Sorry, Inu fans!}

"Where have I been?" she said calmly.

Too calmly.

Sango and Miroku prepared for the worst.

"Where have I BEEN? I'll tell you where I've been! I've rescued a bunch of kids from being killed by a group of sick mikos, you stupid jerk! Where do you get off, asking about what I do and where I go? It's not like you actually give a damn!"

Sango gasped and Miroku choked on air, wondering to themselves what happened to Kagome in three weeks to prompt such a change.

"The reason you smell blood is because I was injured on the way here!"

'Not a complete lie, but not exactly the truth.'

"And while we're on the subject, just where the fuck have YOU been?"

Inuyasha shrank into himself. This wasn't going the way he hoped at all. "I don't have to tell you where I go, bitch!"

Kagome's eyebrow quirked irritably. "Bitch? I'll show you a bitch! You want to know what I smell? I smell dirt and ashes. Its all over you! Now YOU stink! I know if I can smell it, Shippou must be in pure agony!"

Shippou whimpered in agreement. Inuyasha glared at him. "Stay out of this, runt!"

"Watch-your-mouth, jackass!" Kagome hissed. "Shippou didn't sleep with a dead woman, you did!"

Sango nearly fainted, and somewhere in the trees a figure sat, chuckling. 'I really must clean up her language. She's been with Inuyasha too long and she might pass that to Rin.'

"Shut the fuck up, Kagome," Inuyasha warned. Kagome's eyes narrowed into blue-gray slits.

"You can't tell me what to do. If I decide today to find your brother and screw him 'till the cows came home, there isn't shit you can do but stand there and take notes! I'm sure Kikyou would appreciate it if you did anyway!"

The figure in the tree nearly feel out; and Sango went ahead and fainted. Miroku started to laugh, holding Sango steady until she woke up. She'd want a full report on what she missed.

"The days when I MIGHT have paid attention to you are over! From now on, I'll go home when I please, and you will STOP disrespecting me! If you don't call Kikyou a bitch, you won't call me one, either. And you will keep your little 'trysts' with the clay pot to a thirty minute time limit. Or else."

"Or else what?"

"Or else I will embarrass the holy hell out of you and make you sorry."

Kagome hugged Shippou and headed back for her pack and the well. Hoisting it on her shoulders, she called to Sango and Miroku.

"I'll be back in two weeks."

"You've been gone for three!" Inuyasha protested.

Kagome glared at him. "What did I just say? Were you paying attention? I said from now on YOU-HAVE-NO-SAY! Do I need to spell it out for you, or are you just pretending to be stupid to annoy me?"

Kagome swung a leg over the edge of the well. "See you guys later!"

Inuyasha reached for her, trying to stop her. "Just where do you think you're-ow!"

Inuyasha's hand jerked away from Kagome's side in a flash of blue light.

Kagome smirked. "If you come to my side of the well anytime before my two weeks are up, I swear I'll break every bone in your back. And I won't use the sit necklace either."

>Thump!<

"Stay down there, you selfish bastard!"

Kagome could swear she heard another thump as she jumped in the well, but forgot about it as she emerged on her side.

++++++

"Damned girl," Sesshoumaru muttered He'd fallen completely out of the tree in his subdued position. "Not only do I have to clean up her language, I need to get her to take this cursed necklace off!"

--------

{SF, Miroku, Sango and Shippou are on one side of the stage, laughing. Kagome is in an easy chair on the other side, blushing. Inuyasha is in the middle, scowling at SF as Sesshou rummages through the frige.}

Inuyasha: Was that necessary?!!!!

{SF, Miroku, Sango and Shippou only laugh harder.}

Inuyasha: I SAID-

Sesshou: {::sitting down beside Kagome on the floor with a hot dog::} I thought it was great! Very nice, Kagome!

{Kagome blush darkens and the others laugh harder. Inuyasha scowls.}

Inuyasha: I'm not mad at Kagome, I'm pissed at SF! I can't believe you made her say that!

SF: {::wheezing::} You needed that! You call Kagome all kinds of names, and now that you've received a taste of your own medicine, all of a sudden the baby can't handle it! I loved it!

Sango: Me too! That was great! Maybe now that you know how it feels, maybe you'll stop insulting Kagome and show a little more-

>Wham!<

Sango: {::standing over a bruised Miroku::} Pervert!

SF: Anyway, look below for the responses and the preview.

Chapter Eleven: Another Sword…

"One brother owned two out of the three swords, and wanted the sword his brother had. They battled constantly for it, because it was said to have the ability to slaughter a hundred youkai in one fell swoop." The curator tapped the glass cases thoughtfully. "Here they are, just useless swords now. Hard to believe they were even feared."

"Yeah," Kagome said breathlessly.

"We were lucky to get them. They are on loan from a private collector. He shared with me the history of the swords, plus a legend that surrounds a fourth sword."

"A fourth sword?"

LyCheE: Yup, Kagome's really, REALLY powerful, so all she did is piss off the beast, so to speak. Don't worry. She'll get what's coming to her.

Nightscream: Yup, there are three parts to this fic. Two are already written and the third is coming shortly. Please, PLEASE send me more pics! They're like crack! My computer won't let me e-mail you, the stupid- {::reaches around hard drive and finds a bottle of whiskey::} What the- SESSHOU!!!!!!!

Setsuna Bu: Rin is fine, for now. Buhahahaha!!!! But seriously, I won't let anything unnecessary happen to her. I think she's a doll too!