InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies I: How to Train a Taiyoukai ❯ Another Sword… ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: See Chapter One.}

Chapter Eleven: Another Sword…

Kagome and her friends walked through the museum, trying to keep as much room between them and the rest of the class as possible. Kagome's friends ranted on and on about the things she missed while she was 'sick'.

"Oh, Kago, you should have been there!" Haruri squealed softly, delighted in the memory of another classmate's suffering. "That little tramp was so embarrassed."

Kagome barely heard them. Every now and then she would nod, but most of the time she kept her hand covering her left side, as if protecting something.

"What's wrong with your side?"

*Kagome jerked to attention. "Huh? Oh, nothing. I fell, or something." She patted her side and continued down the hallway, her mind on Sesshoumaru's mark. It healed nicely, but instead of the star-shaped mark she had, now it was a crescent with a small circle beside it. She wondered from time to time how he managed to do that and not move his mouth once. She sighed. 'What could be worse?' she asked herself as they entered the Ancient Weaponry section of the museum.*

Kagome suddenly heard singing, a familiar singing, from one of the cases. She stopped, her hands pressed to the glass as her friends kept going. Kagome stared inside the case in disbelief.

"The…Tetsusaiga, here?" she gasped. 'What in the hell's going on?' Kagome's friends rushed to her side as she slumped over. They helped her to steady as Kagome continued to look in the glass.

"Kago, are you o. k.?" they asked. Kagome nodded her head, then looked back to the case. Beside it were two more. Kagome peered into the next case.

'Tenseiga,' the next case 'and the Toukijin. How in the-'

"It is always nice to see our young people so interested in history," the curator stated, appearing on the other side of the display. Kagome, used to things popping out of nowhere, remained silent as her friends squealed in surprise.

"How, I mean, what are these?" Kagome asked, pointing at the swords. The curator followed her gaze.

"Oh yes, the swords. These two here are the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga. The other is the Toukijin. They are said to be made by youkai to be used by youkai. Why are you so interested, young lady?"

One of Kagome's friends found her voice. "Our Kagome here is a miko so monsters and youkai are her specialty."

'If they only knew,' Kagome thought sardonically.

"Really?" the curator asked, her eyebrow raised. "I've never met a miko."

"Please, if you'd continue," Kagome asked.

She nodded. "Of course. The Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga are said to be twin swords, made to be used in an effort to protect one youkai's lands. The other, the Toukijin, is said to be a sword of evil. All of the swords were said to belong to two demons, brothers, who were constant rivals."

'No argument there.'

"One brother owned two out of the three swords, and wanted the sword his brother had. They battled constantly for it, because it was said to have the ability to slaughter a hundred youkai in one fell swoop." The curator tapped the glass cases thoughtfully. "Here they are, just useless swords now. Hard to believe they were even feared."

"Yeah," Kagome said breathlessly.

"We're lucky to get them. They're on loan from a private collector. He shared with me the history of the swords, plus a legend that surrounds a fourth sword."

"A fourth sword?"

The curator nodded. "According to the collector, there is another sword, a sister sword to the twins. The only things that are known about it were that it was made from the same material as the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga but smaller, and it looks a lot better than the twin swords in its' dormant state. It was also made to withstand purification."

She looked at Kagome curiously. "Isn't that what mikos do best? Purify? That would leave an attack from one useless."

Kagome nodded weakly, thanking the curator and walking away. The curator smiled, and once brown eyes shone emerald green.

"Well, that was easy. Now for that stubborn son of mine."

++++++++

Sesshoumaru searched his library for a lost text on youki when he came across an unusual scroll. It looked like the normal scrolls, except that he'd never seen it before today. He took it down and unrolled it, curious about where it had come from.

Sesshoumaru,

If you are reading this, then I am long gone. By now, you are the Taiyoukai of the West in my stead, with Inuyasha by your side.

Sesshoumaru gave a low growl at this, but continued reading.

Also, you two should have received the swords, the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga. I am sure you are wondering why I would give such power to a hanyou, and you such a 'useless' trinket, but I am also sure that you have seen its power. It is a sword that cannot be mastered by the usual means, like the Tetsusaiga. It must respect its wielder, and its wielder must respect it. There is something I must inform you of, and since I am not alive to tell you, I must tell you like this. There is another sword.

'Another sword,' Sesshoumaru wondered. 'Where?'

When I had the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga forged, I also forged another with a smaller fang. It is the combined powers of the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga, with another benefit. It can withstand, or rather, was made for purification. The twin swords were meant to be used together, as I am sure you are already aware. This sword was created to be used with the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga. Together, they rival each individual sword, creating enough power in their ultimate to destroy ten thousand youkai, restore life for thousands of miles around, and purify the most tainted of objects. These swords combined are the Tosusaiga.

The Tosusaiga, as with the sister sword, are meant to be wielded by one being. Whosoever wields the sister sword will also be able to wield the other swords, calling to command at will.

However, Sesshoumaru, the sister sword is un-named. It shall remain so until the true wielder receives it. It is hidden away, just like the Tetsusaiga, but harder to find. Here is something that may help you find it.

'How did he figure I'd want it?'

Hidden high below

Surrounded by liquid fire

Rusty to the naked eye

But only sleeping

When awakened, becomes moonlight

Here is your only clue, my son. I tell you this because neither you or your brother can wield them. It must be the Lady of the Western Lands, your mate.

'I haven't a mate. Is he predicting the future?'

You, Sesshoumaru, were not blessed with my second sight, though I doubt they would help you. You will one day understand why Inuyasha wields what he does, and come to appreciate what you wield. Do not let your pride stop you, my son. Do not continue to keep your emotions shut in, or else you will loose a jewel greater than the one your brother seeks. As you have glimpsed, your emotions can be more powerful than any sword.

Inutashio, Taiyoukai of the West

Sesshoumaru rolled the scroll closed, then leaned back in his chair with a sigh. 'What the hell was that?' he wondered. 'What is this about another sword? And a mate? I have no use of such a thing at the moment. I have too much to do.'

Sesshoumaru glanced out the window. It was dark outside, the moon shining its light high in the sky to the stones of the courtyard below. Rin had been asleep for hours now. His thoughts turned to one certain girl, and he smiled. 'It is almost time.' He left the study, heading to his chambers. Disrobing as quickly as he could, he sank under the covers of his bed, his tail wrapped around him. Sesshoumaru's hand clutched the jade rosary around his neck as he dozed off.

^^^^^^^^^

He instantly found himself in his courtyard. Sesshoumaru looked around for a second before picking up one of the katanas on the ground. As he reached for the hilt of one sword, a small hand reached for the other. They sprang apart instantly, each holding the tip of the sword at each others' throats. A small, satisfied growl resounded from Sesshoumaru's throat.

"Very good, Kagome."

"Thank you, Seishou-sensai."

-------

Inuyasha & Sesshou: What sword?

SF: {::sitting down and crossing her leg::} That's for me to know and you to find out.

Kagome: You're such a tease, SF.

Sesshou: I tell her that every day, but she doesn't pay attention.

SF: What do I tease you about?

Sesshou: Well, every time I ask you to mat-{::SF jumps out of her chair and covers Sesshou's mouth::}

SF: Heh-heh. Thank you, Sesshou. The preview is below. {::Sesshou licks SF's hand::}

Eww! {::thwacks Sesshou in the back of the head::}

Chapter Twelve: …Another Problem, or Cool, Calm, and Collected; Another Side to Kagome

"I'm fine, Shippou."

"I know Kagome, but you-you're different. Don't you love Inuyasha anymore?"

Kagome sighed. "I do, Shippou, but it doesn't make sense for me to love him and he loves another. All it does is hurt me to continue. I deserve to be loved, too, right?"

"Right!" Shippou said, hugging her tightly. "I love you, Kagome!"

"And I love you, too." Kagome returned the hug just as eagerly.

"But, Kagome, you seem calmer. Almost like Sesshoumaru. Why?"

Kagome smiled wistfully. "Let's say that I've been sleeping rather well these past few days."