InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies I: How to Train a Taiyoukai ❯ Another Problem or Cool, Calm and Collected; Another Side To Kagome ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: See Chapter One.}

Chapter Twelve: Another Problem,

or

Cool, Calm, and Collected; Another Side to Kagome

Two weeks later…

"Hi, people!" Kagome called as she climbed out of the well. She straddled the edge, hefting her pack out with little ease. She swung her other leg over, sitting facing the group.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Sango, Miroku and Shippou all seemed glad to see her, but something was wrong. They looked sad, disheartened, and…guilty. Shippou was the first to snap out of it, climbing to Kagome's shoulder and stroking her hair.

"Oh, Kagome! We're so sorry!" he whimpered, snuggling his face in her hair. Kagome petted his tail lovingly, disturbed by his sudden panic. "Sorry for what?"

Miroku and Sango sat on the edge of the well beside her. Both looked like they were preparing for the worst.

"Um, Kagome," Miroku started, nervously clenching his staff. "Inuyasha isn't here."

"He isn't?" she repeated. 'Did something happen while I was gone?'

"No, he isn't," Sango said, picking up where Miroku left off. Shippou's whimper became disheartened.

"Then where is he?"

"With Kikyou."

Kagome sighed in relief. "Oh, is that all? Is that why everyone looks like it's the end of the world?" She giggled, relieved that it wasn't as serious as she thought. Miroku and Sango stared at her in shock.

"So where is he?"

"We don't know," Shippou said, freeing himself of her hair. "We haven't seen him since you left."

Kagome paled. "What happened?"

"After you left, Kikyou showed up. He wanted to start looking for the shards again, since he spent so much time looking for you. Kikyou agreed to stay and help find them."

"You went…without me?" Kagome muttered, hurt that they would leave her behind.

Shippou hugged her fiercely. "Of course not, Kagome! We wouldn't leave you for anything!"

Kagome smiled and hugged him back. Miroku smiled also, but kept going. "He and Kikyou left to gather them, leaving us behind in the village. We have no idea when he'll return."

"Jeez, I'm standing right here, you know. I wonder what you say about me behind my back."

Kagome and the others jerked up. Inuyasha landed before them, with something on his back. It didn't take long, as the something began to move, to realize that it was Kikyou. Kagome was, at first, glad to see him. She felt the same old butterflies in her stomach at the sight of him. The sight of Kikyou with him brought her back to that night she found them together. She sighed inaudibly, but Shippou heard it and stroked her cheek.

"What, no 'hello'?" Inuyasha asked as Kikyou climbed off his back. She grasped his hand, watching the others warily.

Miroku shook his head. "Where have you been, Inuyasha?" he asked.

Inuyasha scowled. "Looking for shards, what else? I can't believe you two didn't come with me!"

"We don't travel with corpses. And we don't travel without Kagome," Sango stated. Miroku and Shippou nodded their heads in agreement. Inuyasha opened his mouth to speak, but was silenced by Kikyou's kiss. She pulled back slowly, her arm resting behind his neck.

"Now, now. Leave them alone. They can't help but be loyal to the child. After all, she is a rather helpless

creature."

Miroku and Sango stiffened in anger. Kagome felt her heart sink at Kikyou and Inuyasha's closeness, tears forming in her eyes. She struggled to keep them back, but it became a hard fight when Inuyasha hugged Kikyou back and nuzzled her neck. Shippou's growl resounded in Kagome's ear, startling her. She glanced behind her quickly, almost expecting to see someone standing behind her. Shippou's growl also brought back memories of some very wise words.

' He does not deserve such loyalty. '

Kagome willed the tears back, feeling the same steel course through her veins that ran through the owner of those words. Her face became calm, stoic, as she glared at the two lovers with little more than annoyance.

"If you two can stop glomping each other, maybe some questions can be answered."

Kikyou and Inuyasha stared at Kagome, taken aback by her tone of voice. It was smooth, emotionless, and totally out of character. Inuyasha released Kikyou, but kept his hand in hers.

"What questions?" he asked, perturbed that Kagome would be so bold as to interrupt him. Kagome tipped her head to the side, her hair falling over her shoulder. She ran her fingers through it absentmindedly, revealing the headband Rin gave her. Her gray-blue eyes stared at him in contempt, but her voice was as emotionless as a rock, and just as strong.

"What is Kikyou doing here?"

"She is helping us find the shards."

"Did you find any while I was home?"

"No."

Kagome nodded. "When does she leave?"

"She's staying. She's with us now."

Miroku and Sango started to protest when Kagome raised her hand. "It's fine with me if she stays, though I can't say the same for everyone else. Sango, do you mind if Kikyou travels with us?"

"Not if you don't."

"Miroku?"

"Hell yeah." Both girls turned to look at the houshi. He blushed furiously, realizing what he said. He shook his head. "But if you and Sango don't mind, then neither do I."

Kagome nodded. "Good. She may stay."

Sango leaned closer to Miroku, whispering, "When did Kagome become so calm?"

Miroku shrugged. "I don't know, but I preferred the scene she made last time."

"Hey!" Shippou whispered. "Shut up, I can't pay attention for you two."

They hushed.

"I don't need your permission," Kikyou said, releasing Inuyasha's hand and stepping toward Kagome. Sango and Miroku instinctively stepped in front of her.

"It's alright, guys," Kagome said, her hands on their shoulders as she stepped between them and closer to Kikyou. She walked until she was nearly nose to nose with the miko, Shippou glaring at her from Kagome's shoulder.

"Yes you do."

Kikyou bristled. "That is what you believe."

"Why are you here, Kikyou? Are you going to betray us again?"

"Now wait just a fucking-"

Kikyou raised her hand, effectively quieting Inuyasha. Her uncaring stare never left Kagome's as brown stared into icy blue.

"What I do is my business."

"Be that as it may," Kagome said, pulling Shippou into her arms. "If you try any of your tricks on myself, Sango, Shippou, or Miroku, I will send you to Hell alone."

Kikyou smirked. "Are you serious? With your fledgling powers?"

Kagome smirked back. "My powers are stronger since the last time we…talked."

In that instant, Kagome's hair turned the same reddish-brown as Shippou's.

Shippou squawked in astonishment, and Sango and Miroku forgot the undead miko to feel the transformed strands.

"Wow." Inuyasha muttered. Kikyou snorted. "A mere parlor trick. Though it is impressive that you can do an illusion with such ease."

"I've had training, of a sort."

"Yes," Kikyou sneered. "I can see that. But your power is pitiful."

"It's a lot better than yours, Kikyot!" Shippou said, his fists balled defiantly. He paled at a growl from Inuyasha, who was charging toward him.

"Why you little-"

>Wham!<

Inuyasha slammed into an invisible shield, purple light flaring from where he connected with it. He landed at Kikyou's feet stunned but not injured. Kagome smiled down at him, then moved past him and Kikyou, heading for the village. She reached for her pack before going, giving a sideways glance at Kikyou as she walked away.

"As I said, I've had training. Try to hurt us and you contend with me. It is not something I advise."

Sango and Miroku followed close behind her, taking in her sudden change. Shippou loved her new hair, it made her look more like his mother. The attitude change disturbed him though, and he wanted to comfort her. He stroked her cheek again.

"I'm fine, Shippou."

"I know Kagome, but you-you're different. Don't you love Inuyasha anymore?"

Kagome sighed. "I do, Shippou, but it doesn't make sense for me to love him and he loves another. All it does is hurt me to continue. I deserve to be loved, too, right?"

"Right!" Shippou said, hugging her tightly. "I love you, Kagome!"

"And I love you, too." Kagome returned the hug just as eagerly.

"But, Kagome, you seem calmer. Almost like Sesshoumaru. Why?"

Kagome smiled wistfully. "Let's say that I've been sleeping rather well these past few days."

--------

Kagome: As I've said before, I like the new me!

SF: Me too! I told you that hanging out with me would be a good thing.

Inuyasha: Good for who?

SF: Hush up, Collie Boy! Anyway, the preview is below.

Chapter Thirteen: Butterflies

"What?"

Her mother pointed. Kagome looked down and gasped. Her pajamas were shredded, leaving little rags to cover herself with. Kagome blushed and rushed to her room to change. Later that night, she scolded Sesshoumaru for ruining her pajamas.